• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

Tidux

Thanks.
Can you answer my previous question?

It's actually not capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded in case you do something awesome.

while actively recording, your only limit is your HDD

Tratorn

It's actually not capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded in case you do something awesome.

Do you have a source or do we have to trust your words? :p
Because I think that was never really 100% confirmed, so I'm curious.

A few of us have been stating this for a while. No official sources available just yet, but plenty coming soon to discuss PS4 OS

Guymelef

Record option is under share menu or where?
We are seeing a couple of share menu pics and there isn't option there.

Tidux

it is the status right now, but it may change at any time.
Like many other things, it is not quite finished yet.
much will change in the early days.

Tidux

Record option is under share menu or where?
We are seeing a couple of share menu pics and there isn't option there.
share_options-610x243.jpg

DemonNite

By default, it will continuously record the last 15 minutes and discard old segments. Developers can also choose when to start/stop recording to avoid spoilers.

You guys will find the speed of the dynamic menu very slick and minor improvements, such as no rebooting required for certain changes (display resolution for example)... even when a game is running ;)

softie

By default, it will continuously record the last 15 minutes and discard old segments. Developers can also choose when to start/stop recording to avoid spoilers.

You guys will find the speed of the dynamic menu very slick and minor improvements, such as no rebooting required for certain changes (display resolution for example)... even when a game is running ;)

Yeah, but what about manual initialization? Like "I want to start now and end 30 minutes later!" Is it possible to get 30min. gameplay videos, when I manually initialize recording from right now? :)

The PS4 UI will be great, no doubt about that.^^

DemonNite

Yeah, but what about manual initialization? Like "I want to start now and end 30 minutes later!" Is it possible to get 30min. gameplay videos, when I manually initialize recording from right now? :)

The PS4 UI will be great, no doubt about that.^^

There has never been a manual recording option (it is automatic for every application), but you can manually turn on streaming and stream as long as you like.

kadotsu

Banned
There has never been a manual recording option (it is automatic for every application), but you can manually turn on streaming and stream as long as you like.

Will the stream go black on "spoiler" flagged segments? Is there an automatic expiration date for "spoiler" flags?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Is there an editing tool?

Ps Store is integrated in the UI.
it is quite similar to PS VITA.
When you highlight a game, You can see the dlc and news there.

There still is a PSN store app on the Vita that you need to go to download content. I'm guessing it's the same on the PS4 and not like the 360?
Also, if it is an app can we move in and out of it like the vita? We currently can't do that on the PS3. Thx.

Tidux

There still is a PSN store app on the Vita that you need to go to download content. I'm guessing it's the same on the PS4 and not like the 360?
Also, if it is an app can we move in and out of it like the vita? We currently can't do that on the PS3. Thx.

No App.

No option to add voice overs or add content of your own? I'm thinking in terms of creating Youtube videos and the such.

Nothing right now. Its just grab the last 15 minutes of gameplay and just share it. This is where the XB1 beats the PS4. Hopefully Sony adds more customization options when it comes to uploading videos.

Tidux

Nothing right now. Its just grab the last 15 minutes of gameplay and just share it. This is where the XB1 beats the PS4. Hopefully Sony adds more customization options when it comes to uploading videos.

you can use the PS camera to stream a picture in picture of yourself where you can live comment on your stream

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
you can use the PS camera to stream a picture in picture of yourself where you can live comment on your stream

Is that picture in picture feature set to a certain size or can you adjust it on the fly? An example would be having your mug in a box on the top right of the gameplay video and then being able to switch smoothly to a full screen video of your mug and the gameplay reduced to the top right, if you follow.

Cels

Ps Store is integrated in the UI.
it is quite similar to PS VITA.
When you highlight a game, You can see the dlc and news there.

that is great news. if they hid trophy-syncing (like how achievements are done on 360) then we're golden

Is that picture in picture feature set to a certain size or can you adjust it on the fly? An example would be having your mug in a box on the top right of the gameplay video and then being able to switch smoothly to a full screen video of your mug and the gameplay reduced to the top right, if you follow.

i imagine you have to be able to adjust both size and position, otherwise the feature would be detrimental in a lot of situations

Tidux

Sry no intel on that

Caayn

Looks like a good upgrade from the PS3 XMB. Now Sony get the PSN Store just as fast, don't give us the same slow store from the PS3.

Caayn

On the 360 achievements are automatically directly synced with the XBL servers when you obtain one, or connect to XBL. There's no user interaction on the 360. On the PS3 you need to manually sync them later or use the PS+ feature that only syncs once every day.

Accoun

Can we combine both recording 15 minutes from before and unlimited from now on? So we have a single video that has both things from before and after starting recording. Or would we have to combine it externally in an editor?

Looks good, I thought XMB was great and I can not wait to get my hands on this. Decmeber the whatever day they release it in Korea can not come fast enough.

Tidux

On the 360 achievements are automatically directly synced with the XBL servers when you obtain one, or connect to XBL. There's no user interaction on the 360. On the PS3 you need to manually sync them later or use the PS+ feature that only syncs once every day.

I'll try to find out some trophy-related information

Guymelef

Can we combine both recording 15 minutes from before and unlimited from now on? So we have a single video that has both things from before and after starting recording. Or would we have to combine it externally in an editor?

DemonNite says that there is not manually recording.

wizzbang

Banned
I don't suppose there's a way to disable the fucking video recording / streaming shit is there?
No seriously,...........

As a future PS4 owner and an SSD convert, there IS going to be a 500 or 750gb SSD in my PS4. Now over the course of several years playtime, the fucking console almost constantly writing to disk is likely to fuck up my SSD, since it'll be writing to the goddamn drive so often.

I know it's a niche issue here for few - but SSD's don't like being overused (especially write cycles) - if I play a game like GTA5 for example that's 70 goddamn hours of non stop writes.
Any thoughts? Also, I'm in Australia - uploads are SHIT here, downloads aren't all bad but uploading any video is fucking nigh impossible anyhow.

Cels

well on ps3 you have to sync your trophies if you want your psn id to update and display all of those trophies. before sony added the offline mode for trophies, anytime you looked at your trophies or your id while signed in, the ps3 would attempt to sync the trophies. this was very annoying and took a terrible amount of time, especially if you were in-game. you cant't do anything on your ps3 while the trophies sync.

whereas on 360 there is obviously some sort of syncing going on since the information is sent to xbox live to say that hey i earned these achievements, update my profile! but it is completely hidden from the user and unobtrusive.

Top Bottom