• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Skeff
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:34 AM)
Skeff's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cidd

Does it even matter if COD: Ghost is 1080p or not?

The game looks horrible either way.

I'm a huge advocate for the 1080p or gtfo cause, but come on this is COD...

Not neccesarily for CoD, but if CoD looks horrible as you say and still only runs at 720p, what does that say about the hardware and/or the development tools?
frizby
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:34 AM)
frizby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

He can't say the resolution of one of their flagship third party games for "legal reasons"..........

lol.

In his position, he likely can't. He's explained why, and it makes sense to me.

But as I said before, it was dumb to chime in.
Bailers
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:34 AM)
Bailers's Avatar

Originally Posted by gruenel

That's what I thought... it just doesn't compute.

The rumor seems more and more likely after every tweet.

Albert is a boss. He asks one of the people under him to find out. They have an answer in about 10 minutes, assuming the one guy at IW who knows this answer is in the bathroom. It's absolutely confirmed. That said, let's leave it alone. The game will look fine. People will buy it. It will be fun for the people that play and like COD.

I respect Albert for at least engaging with the huddled masses, and wading into the shallow and cloudy end of the pool here on Neogaf every once in a while.
Mikey Jr.
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:37 AM)
Mikey Jr.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Cidd

Does it even matter if COD: Ghost is 1080p or not?

The game looks horrible either way.

I'm a huge advocate for the 1080p or gtfo cause, but come on this is COD...

Kinda sets the stage for the rest of the generation, no? I mean, right out the gate and Infinity Ward, the CALL OF DUTY developers can't even match parity with the PS4.

The same Call of Duty that has always been superior on the Xbox platform, who have exclusive deals with Microsoft, who ended their show with COD........and Sony have the visually superior version of the game.

That is a PR nightmare.
KORNdoggy
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:37 AM)
KORNdoggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cidd

Does it even matter if COD: Ghost is 1080p or not?

The game looks horrible either way.

That makes it more damaging though. "That horrible looking game that is about as technically impressive as a 360 game, can't even run 1080p on the xbone" it's not exactly the sort of message you want lingering around your fresh new console. They needed to piss on this bonfire immediately. But if it's true, then i guess silence is the best option...for them.
Raist
(10-25-2013, 12:38 AM)
Oh. Oh Albert.

Well it's fine. Someone tweet to him that thread about how to do pixel counting.
Y2Kev
The Last Guardian is Dead. Sorry.
(10-25-2013, 12:38 AM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
Well it just about wraps it up for people worried about/concern trolling about forced parity.
Radec
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:38 AM)
Radec's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cidd

Does it even matter if COD: Ghost is 1080p or not?

The game looks horrible either way.

I'm a huge advocate for the 1080p or gtfo cause, but come on this is COD...

It does.

You know there's a problem with a console when a game that doesn't push anything technically cant even hit the same resolution as the other console did with ease.

Its like Ghosts is the benchmark of what the "minimum" performance should be. If you cant even max out CoD, then what the fuck. lol
xxracerxx
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:38 AM)
xxracerxx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cidd

Does it even matter if COD: Ghost is 1080p or not?

The game looks horrible either way.

I'm a huge advocate for the 1080p or gtfo cause, but come on this is COD...

It is really telling if they cannot get an "ugly" game running well on the XBO....that is why it is a big deal at the moment.
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(10-25-2013, 12:40 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar
Maybe they'll announce the resolution alongside that chart about voice functions...
see5harp
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Kinda sets the stage for the rest of the generation, no? I mean, right out the gate and Infinity Ward, the CALL OF DUTY developers can't even match parity with the PS4.

The same Call of Duty that has always been superior on the Xbox platform, who have exclusive deals with Microsoft, who ended their show with COD........and Sony have the visually superior version of the game.

That is a PR nightmare.

There were plenty of games that performed poorly at launch for 360 and ps3. Both consoles were fine moving forward. It could just be a rushed launch with not ready software development tools. It's not worth trying to predict where something will be in 8 years.
CassidyIzABeast
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:41 AM)
CassidyIzABeast's Avatar

@albertpenello Well, I can't prove that you lied so I'll drop it after this. But I find it hard to believe you can't tell what res it is.

@atPeteDodd then you don't understand how this business works.



Albert's tired of the disrespect
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(10-25-2013, 12:41 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Well it just about wraps it up for people worried about/concern trolling about forced parity.

Not really. The bigger the third party, the less influence a first party has. Activision doesn't have to do anything MS requests, but someone like 505 Games? They don't have that kind of upper hand.
frizby
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:41 AM)
frizby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Well it just about wraps it up for people worried about/concern trolling about forced parity.

I was actually worried about it on the games where they had marketing deals, but yeah, if they can't get IW to tow the line, there's no way in hell DICE does.
Y2Kev
The Last Guardian is Dead. Sorry.
(10-25-2013, 12:43 AM)
Y2Kev's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Not really. The bigger the third party, the less influence a first party has. Activision doesn't have to do anything MS requests, but someone like 505 Games? They don't have that kind of upper hand.

Well played
Heysoos
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:43 AM)
Heysoos's Avatar
I like Albert, and I believe he's being honest that he can't comment on the resolution.

That said, maybe they should get the person that's in charge of publisher relations to give some input. Being silent is not really doing them any favors. Might as well be straight with us.
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(10-25-2013, 12:44 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar
"You don't understand the biz." The equivalent of "Are you engineer, it's not just a flip of a switch."
Zatoichi's Cane
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:44 AM)
Zatoichi's Cane's Avatar
Quick question for Mort or for anyone who knows about these things:

When do Devs have to go gold to meet disc printing deadlines?
Can they ship 720 then patch to 1080?
DragonSworne
Satoru Iwata and his Trilateral Commission cronies are suppressing the truth about Retro. Wake up, sheeple!
(10-25-2013, 12:44 AM)
DragonSworne's Avatar
The industry has chosen its lead platform.
NuKERxyz
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:45 AM)
NuKERxyz's Avatar

After it was revealed that Call of Duty: Ghosts would run at 1080p on PS4 through a listing on the PlayStation Store, many people have been wondering if this meant it would just output in 1080p, or if it would be native 1080p.

Speaking at the Brazil Game Show happening right now, Adam Boyes, VP of Publisher & Developer Relations at Sony Computer Entertainment America, confirmed that Call of Duty: Ghosts is “native 1080p on the PS4.

It still looks bad :S
frizby
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:45 AM)
frizby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heysoos

I like Albert, and I believe he's being honest that he can't comment on the resolution.

That said, maybe they should get the person that's in charge of publisher relations to give some input. Being silent is not really doing them any favors. Might as well be straight with us.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Even if they said 1080i, most people in the real world would probably shrug it off, but dat silence................................
Vire
DancingJesus
(10-25-2013, 12:46 AM)
Vire's Avatar
I think Mort needs to slow his roll. No reason to be blatantly disrespectful.
co1onel
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:46 AM)
co1onel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heysoos

I like Albert, and I believe he's being honest that he can't comment on the resolution.

That said, maybe they should get the person that's in charge of publisher relations to give some input. Being silent is not really doing them any favors. Might as well be straight with us.

I feel like coming straight out and saying that their version of the game runs worse wouldn't help them, especially when most people who boot up their xbox one on day one won't even be able to tell that their version of cod is running at a lower resolution than the competition.

Originally Posted by Vire

I think Mort needs to slow his roll. No reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

They're both being disrespectful at this point.
Mikey Jr.
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:47 AM)
Mikey Jr.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Not really. The bigger the third party, the less influence a first party has. Activision doesn't have to do anything MS requests, but someone like 505 Games? They don't have that kind of upper hand.

Well they better fucking get on it. They are letting this drag on for way too long. They should have dispelled the "rumour" that is only 720p days ago.

Sony can say its 1080p but MS can't?
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(10-25-2013, 12:47 AM)
Loudninja's Avatar

Originally Posted by NuKERxyz

It still looks bad :S

Now you can see how bad it looks in full HD.
jaypah
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:47 AM)
jaypah's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

Why not just wait until we've seen the product and decide then whether you'll buy. I will certainly not buy a product for a system if it's a significantly worse looking game. If you aren't buying an xbox one then why are you so concerned about a multiplatform game?

You new here? I'd wager most of the people super concerned with it are buying a PS4. We can't have the consensus of "GAF only seems biased because as hardcore gamers most of us stand behind the superior product" and at the same time a 50 page thread about the resolution of a console that most admit they aren't buying.

Tl;Dr Most people are in it purely for drama/bragging rights. Welcome to a console launch!
Albert Penello
MS Director of Product Planning
"Now More Direct than ever!"
(10-25-2013, 12:47 AM)
Albert Penello's Avatar
Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(10-25-2013, 12:48 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Well played

Gotta throw some meat to the lions.
frizby
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:48 AM)
frizby's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vire

I think Mort needs to slow his roll. No reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

Too much? Too much.
Nerix
Junior Member
(10-25-2013, 12:48 AM)
Nerix's Avatar
Don´t know if famousmortimer already mentioned it here:

With several sources it should be pretty much confirmed.

Adam Boyes confirmed native 1080p for PS4 at the brazilian press conference --> big difference between PS4/XOne version pretty much confirmed now
Last edited by Nerix; 10-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.
dolabla
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:49 AM)
Is it really that hard to find out of it's 1080p or not? Seriously? You can't tell me Penello, Spencer or MN can't get this info.
PhatSaqs
(10-25-2013, 12:50 AM)
PhatSaqs's Avatar
So......resolution disclosure marketing deal? lawl
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(10-25-2013, 12:50 AM)
Tamanon's Avatar

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

Question answered.
everyday math
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:50 AM)
everyday math's Avatar

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Well hi there.
DeltaJay
Banned
(10-25-2013, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Do what you do, Albert. No worries. We'll find out eventually.
soul creator
at 10 you suck
at 9 you're f*cked
at 8 you're a sucker
at 7 a motherf*cker
(10-25-2013, 12:50 AM)
soul creator's Avatar
First console war of the twitter generation, and it's glorious
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
(10-25-2013, 12:51 AM)
Amir0x's Avatar

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Can you please explain why though you are unable to use your position to ask why Sony was able to so easily confirm native resolution, and why you are not? You say your friend is director of 3rd party relations. Ok, so why is there any confidentiality about this? If Sony is able to confirm native resolution, why would your friend need to be behind a confidentiality agreement on something so simple if it were not bad news?

If you do not know, then I'd like you to speculate as to why. The more these things grow, Albert, the harder it is to find reasons to be understanding about these sorts of "excuses" (for lack of a better word...)

To put it in example form:

Why doesn't your friend call Activision and ask what the native resolution of Xbox One version is? As you guys have partnered with them with Call of Duty, ask why they so willingly allowed Sony to reveal their native resolution and if they would not be willing to do the same for you.
Last edited by Amir0x; 10-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Tsundere
Banned
(10-25-2013, 12:51 AM)
@Albert, sorry but without a definitive answer on resolution, it's all up to interpretation whether you like it or not. "You don't need to know" will be, more often than not, interpreted as "we don't want anyone to know", and also as "they're right".
Cidd
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:51 AM)
Cidd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twio

COD running at 1080p is hardly the concern here. The main concern for people is that the XOne may not be able to handle such a shitty game at 1080p which could mean 720p for future multi-platform releases.

Originally Posted by Skeff

Not neccesarily for CoD, but if CoD looks horrible as you say and still only runs at 720p, what does that say about the hardware and/or the development tools?

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Kinda sets the stage for the rest of the generation, no? I mean, right out the gate and Infinity Ward, the CALL OF DUTY developers can't even match parity with the PS4.

The same Call of Duty that has always been superior on the Xbox platform, who have exclusive deals with Microsoft, who ended their show with COD........and Sony have the visually superior version of the game.

That is a PR nightmare.

Originally Posted by KORNdoggy

That makes it more damaging though. "That horrible looking game that is about as technically impressive as a 360 game, can't even run 1080p on the xbone" it's not exactly the sort of message you want lingering around your fresh new console. They needed to piss on this bonfire immediately. But if it's true, then i guess silence is the best option...for them.

Originally Posted by Radec

It does.

You know there's a problem with a console when a game that doesn't push anything technically cant even hit the same resolution as the other console did with ease.

Its like Ghosts is the benchmark of what the "minimum" performance should be. If you cant even max out CoD, then what the fuck. lol

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

It is really telling if they cannot get an "ugly" game running well on the XBO....that is why it is a big deal at the moment.

I get what you're all trying to say, But I think most future Xbone owners just don't care. and frankly, I couldn't care less about what others spend their money on. If they want inferior multiplatform ports it's their choice. I just don't get what all the commotion is about.

it's already known the PS4 is more powerful so this was to be expect..
Last edited by Cidd; 10-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Radec
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:51 AM)
Radec's Avatar

Originally Posted by Albert Penello

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Fair enough.
EagleEyes
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:51 AM)
EagleEyes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vire

I think Mort needs to slow his roll. No reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

Agreed. I like Mort but this was a little much and a lot more aggressive than it should have been.
Vire
DancingJesus
(10-25-2013, 12:52 AM)
Vire's Avatar
Even if Penello is straight up lying. (Which he probably isn't, he just doesn't know and doesn't want to know, ignorance is bliss.)

There is very little reason to lash out at someone on Twitter like that. It's video games. But I guess mortimer thinks his e-penis is pretty important and his credibility is on the line or some bullshit like that.
Mihael Mello Keehl
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:52 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar
Then the question must be asked... Why does Sony know and not MS???? Are you guys lagging behind in information? You guys dont seem to know what gamers want to know but you know that the kinect can see your heart beating
gruenel
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:52 AM)
gruenel's Avatar

Originally Posted by dolabla

Is it really that hard to find out of it's 1080p or not? Seriously? You can't tell me Penello, Spencer or MN can't get this info.

Well they don't want to tell him, for obvious reasons.
UNCMark
Banned
(10-25-2013, 12:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Vire

I think Mort needs to slow his roll. No reason to be blatantly disrespectful.

Agreed with this. Typical twitter tough guy bullshit. Such a lack of respect.
see5harp
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by jaypah

You new here? I'd wager most of the people super concerned with it are buying a PS4. We can't have the consensus of "GAF only seems biased because as hardcore gamers most of us stand behind the superior product" and at the same time a 50 page thread about the resolution of a console that most admit they aren't buying.

Tl;Dr Most people are in it purely for drama/bragging rights. Welcome to a console launch!

Obviously I know how that works. It may not make much difference in the real world where people are lining up for hours just to get a free t-shirt and hold a controller but it seems so antagonistic here these days.
frizby
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:54 AM)
frizby's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

Why not just wait until we've seen the product and decide then whether you'll buy. I will certainly not buy a product for a system if it's a significantly worse looking game. If you aren't buying an xbox one then why are you so concerned about a multiplatform game?

Are you familiar with preorders? We make hardware purchasing decisions on best information available. If we all owned both consoles and were simply deciding which version to buy, I'd agree, but that isn't the case.

Originally Posted by jaypah

You new here? I'd wager most of the people super concerned with it are buying a PS4. We can't have the consensus of "GAF only seems biased because as hardcore gamers most of us stand behind the superior product" and at the same time a 50 page thread about the resolution of a console that most admit they aren't buying.

Tl;Dr Most people are in it purely for drama/bragging rights. Welcome to a console launch!

You got us. We're all hiving-minding it up.
BlackFlip
(10-25-2013, 12:54 AM)
BlackFlip's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vire

Even if Penello is straight up lying. (Which he probably isn't, he just doesn't know and doesn't want to know, ignorance is bliss.)

There is very little reason to lash out at someone on Twitter like that. It's video games. But I guess mortimer thinks his e-penis is pretty important and his credibility is on the line or some bullshit like that.

What tweet are you talking about?
Stike
Member
(10-25-2013, 12:54 AM)
Stike's Avatar
I am very much reminded of Jonathan Blow's first comment on the console disparity right now...

Thread Tools