• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

No, seriously. Why does the XO version look better? Again, I have a PS4 preordered, but the difference is obvious to me even though the PS4 has a higher resolution. I'm sorry, to me, the XO version just looks better. The PS4 version looks they have vasoline rubbed all over the screen and turned the brightness up to 100.

maybe my eyes are jacked but it just looks darker to me.

Different camo on the uni, clouds are missing in the background and some areas inside the chopper look "burnt" due to distortion brought on by the blacks being crushed.

If this shot was indicative of the comparison between PS4 and X1 I'd say the winner is clear cut but it's not as seen by numerous comparisons so far.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
HWb79lR.gif

Tratorn

Just look at that guy's head. I rather have had Sony go down to 720p if it meant they could get sharper textures.

There isn't any better textures on XB1, it's just the color difference. If you up the contrast level on the PS4 screen you can see the hair better as well.

And it seems DF made this, they really have some explanations to do like some people already said.

This thread is moving a mile a minute but this post is such thinly veiled fanboy bullshit I can't let it go.

You specifically picked out the second the frame rate was the biggest in difference, and not a few seconds beforehand where the PS4 was 38 against the xbox at 34 or the second after where it dips to 44 vs. the xbox one at 42. It has a clear frame and aliasing advantage, but jeez man.

As for the crushed blacks, the xbox shot is IN A SHADOW. He's covered by something. Within the next few seconds he walks out, you see it pass, and he's out in the light again. Shown in action here:

JTgp1Dw.png

But of course you know that, you just scoped the footage. I don't even want to get into a tech discussion but horsehit like your post just muddies the water. Disgusting and pathetic.

Please tell me you're calling artist a Xbox fanboy

NBtoaster

People should read the whole article before screaming DOCTORED/SABOTAGE/ETC.
So, before loading the game up, we make sure to have full RGB set in both the Xbox One and PS4's system setting menus, to maximise the 0-255 colour space used on PC monitors and supported by our capture hardware - and of course, we have the system video resolution ticked at 1080p. Once the game is booted up, we also make sure that Battlefield 4's brightness setting is set to its default 30 per cent - a factor which has relevance a little further on into this piece.
This leads us to a second issue that affects both console releases: gamma levels. We went into the review event having never hooked up our equipment to either next-gen platform before, and our tests with BF4 gave some curious results we want to revisit with the final game on retail hardware. Similar to the Xbox 360, Microsoft's new platform seems to enforce a colour push towards the lower end, leaving us with more saturated colours and deeper blacks. It's just cause to head towards Battlefield 4's brightness settings, but in the interest of a fair test we kept this at the default 30 per cent for all platforms.

Curiously, the top end is also affected, causing the image to appear distinctly washed out, as if set to limited range. This is particularly evident on PS4, which is kept free of a comparable black push to Microsoft's platform to compensate. Right now there's every possibility that it could be a capture situation, but it is worth noting that we saw no such issue on our PC captures and after returning to base, the same equipment produced a perfectly balanced picture on our PlayStation 3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone who can't see the differences too well needs to watch the framerate comparison video. PS4's advantage is very noticeable in motion.

Milennia

PS4 multiplayer looks pretty good:

http://youtu.be/hG2nyFZdr1k

It looks gorgeous, this video just shot my hype up even more...

i like the map even though i didn't think i would due to it looking like another metro, i love the way the game looks and i love the 60fps... also the megaton for me is that theres people everywhere, 64 players really shows in that video.

no more looking for people on consoles, woot.

SRTtoZ

This shot, clearly favors the xbone. Someone please find a zoom in spot where the ps4 looks better

Serious? Look at the steps, look at the lights. Look how the lighting on the steps goes from blocks on the XB1 to an actual design on the PS4. This is easy stuff man. Look at the jaggies everywhere. All the XB1 has is the darker image which was added via Digital Foundry or can be found on most TV's.

Talked to someone I know again in the industry. Oh boy. GAF gonna be fun in the next couple of weeks.

I asked if Ghosts is 720p on the Xbone too:

They don't look that different to me. In fact some shots the XBone looks better which is what a lot of people are saying. Of course difference in resolution, framerate and there are jaggies but to most of the public they probably look the same. It's PS3 vs 360 all over again though now the shoe is on the other foot.

Much ado about nothing.

$h@d0w

It doesn't. When you turn up the contrast, it gives the illusion of having more details.

Good_and_Bad_Contrast.jpg

Right on.

It's why TVs are set to their horrible "Vivid" settings in showrooms to attract customers, but when you get them home the last thing you want is your eyes blown out to smithereens.

neptunes

No, they will just say "why does this game look so hideous? Did I accidentally turn my TV settings up?" and not even realize just how much better they could have had it if they bought the PS4 version.

Really for a cross gen launch title I'm actually astonished by how much better the ps4 version is. I thought it would take a year (pretty much when everyone finally moved 100% to ps4/xb1 development) for most games to really start showing the power gap. It's happening a lot already.
Step outside yourself for a second

You honestly think most people are going to arrive to that conclusion? how many acerage many gamers have their HDTVs calibrated correctly?

squidyj

so beyond the better resolution, higher framerate and better ambient occlusion, is it just me or are some of the things rendered differently? maybe it's just the HBAO but the statues in the water look different. THe fact that some surfaces are being lit on xbone that shouldn't be and they don't look lit on ps4 I can chalk up to the HBAO but those statues man, they look weird.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I posted a comparison earlier, and during an identical scene, he's darker and almost completely blacked out for huge portions of the scene. Look for yourself:
8bWgMym.jpg

It DOES crush blacks like a mofo, not denying that. but his post specifically is when the gun is ONLY in a shadow on xbox one and he knew that. Within the same scene he walks out and you can see the gun clearly.

Tsundere

Banned
It DOES crush blacks like a mofo, not denying that. but his post specifically is when the gun is ONLY in a shadow on xbox one and he knew that. Within the same scene he walks out and you can see the gun clearly.

There's something fishy about the DF captures, someone needs to get to the bottom of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PS4 version seems to be using some very aggressive blur/smooth filter, all the ground textures etc closer to the player seem higher resolution on XO, but I assume they're equal resolution and just being blurred due to whatever the PS4 version is doing.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I guess the the softness on the pc image is a byproduct of the 1080p native rendering solution?

MIGIcQ4.png

Has the master race been officially taken over by xbox one?

Ya, I think DF got that wrong, maybe on purpose. There is probably not a scaling issue, just a lack of over sharpening.

PC is clearly in a league of its own and it's the platform to play on if you want the definitive Battlefield experience. As for the console comparison, it's clear that the PS4 is more powerful but I doubt that the average consumer will be able to easily tell the difference.

Kibbles

Mhc5MsO.jpg

X1 frag video:

TPFVvYK.jpg

DF needs to come clear on this one.

That bottom pic looks oversaturated as fuck. Like I said, DF had their Xbox on Expanded, Jacks didn't. Jacks also seems to have color adjusted it like a lot of youtubers tend to do and that's why the colors are way unnaturally over-saturated on the bottom.

Zyae

Mhc5MsO.jpg

X1 frag video:

TPFVvYK.jpg

DF needs to come clear on this one.

they did

So, before loading the game up, we make sure to have full RGB set in both the Xbox One and PS4's system setting menus, to maximise the 0-255 colour space used on PC monitors and supported by our capture hardware - and of course, we have the system video resolution ticked at 1080p. Once the game is booted up, we also make sure that Battlefield 4's brightness setting is set to its default 30 per cent - a factor which has relevance a little further on into this piece.
This leads us to a second issue that affects both console releases: gamma levels. We went into the review event having never hooked up our equipment to either next-gen platform before, and our tests with BF4 gave some curious results we want to revisit with the final game on retail hardware. Similar to the Xbox 360, Microsoft's new platform seems to enforce a colour push towards the lower end, leaving us with more saturated colours and deeper blacks. It's just cause to head towards Battlefield 4's brightness settings, but in the interest of a fair test we kept this at the default 30 per cent for all platforms.

Curiously, the top end is also affected, causing the image to appear distinctly washed out, as if set to limited range. This is particularly evident on PS4, which is kept free of a comparable black push to Microsoft's platform to compensate. Right now there's every possibility that it could be a capture situation, but it is worth noting that we saw no such issue on our PC captures and after returning to base, the same equipment produced a perfectly balanced picture on our PlayStation 3.

This thread is moving a mile a minute but this post is such thinly veiled fanboy bullshit I can't let it go.

You specifically picked out the second the frame rate was the biggest in difference, and not a few seconds beforehand where the PS4 was 38 against the xbox at 34 or the second after where it dips to 44 vs. the xbox one at 42. It has a clear frame and aliasing advantage, but jeez man.

As for the crushed blacks, the xbox shot is IN A SHADOW. He's covered by something. Within the next few seconds he walks out, you see it pass, and he's out in the light again. Shown in action here:

http://i.imgur.com/JTgp1Dw.png[img]

But of course you know that, you just scoped the footage. I don't even want to get into a tech discussion but horsehit like your post just muddies the water. Disgusting and pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Don't it it get to you haha, fans on both sides

Top Bottom