• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

Pointless without an internet connection. Does seem slick though and surprisingly stable too, but I'm guessing that's due to no internet connection...

Dukey

Banned
Makes no difference tbh. I ran IE side-by-side running a YouTube video and playing Forza 5 and it worked just fine with the YouTube audio playing alongside the game audio. No lag or stutter switching between them either.

So there's a work-around for playing my own music during a game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Entrecôte;88382318 said:
Yes worse because everything seems to be confirming that this box is useless for the 'all in one entertainment' services unless you pay a sub. I am one (in the minority) that don't wish to do that, especially to use something like Skype which is free on all other machines.

Uh huh.

Its $5 a month. That one whole coffee I didn't have one day out of 30 is so prohibiting

i pay more in taxes buying a coffee every day than i do for xbox live.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Looks nice.

You're supposed to be able to just say "Xbox snap internet explorer" which is 1 step. This is probably this guys first time using the snap function, once you get to know how it works I'm guessing it'll be fairly quick with the controller too.

I count 4
=p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who was the insider that said the OS was crashing all the time again? Cause I really don't see it in this video.
UI and OS development is fluid. It was crashing all the time. Honestly I would assume ti would get better the closer we get to launch. With that being said, its hard to tell from this video what is going as the console seemed to be not connected to the internet.

It's weird that people would think this video proves the OS is just fine. They're not snapping shit in this video, and they're not even connected to Live.

If I showed you 90 seconds of a game, would that tell you it's a bug free game?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That is fairly awesome!

The snapping out of a game is also implemented in the PS4 rite ?

It's just the suspend/resume thing that is missing ?

Please tell me I'm right, because this is too awesome.

Nope. Snapping is not a PS4 feature.

So what's there to snap if anything is behind the paywall?
What's the purpose of this video?

There are probably apps that are not gold only (IE?). The purpose of the video is a quick look at the snap functionality. This isn't an official MS video or anything it's just a guy filming a demo station.

jem0208

It's weird that people would think this video proves the OS is just fine. They're not snapping shit in this video, and they're not even connected to Live.

If I showed you 30 seconds of a game would that tell you it's a bug free game.

The thing is, we've had very little evidence (other than insiders) that the OS is broken. Whereas we've had a lot of stuff which shows it working just fine.

Tom Warren you damn cheapskate get Xbox Live Gold :p
Ha. I tried to sign in with several different Xbox Live accounts that I have but the dogfood build on these systems doesn't allow it :(

Here's some pictures I took as well http://imgur.com/a/LnRYB

You’ll notice the dash is 6.2.10192.0 (xb_rel_launch_beta.131030-1211). That means it was built on October 30th 2013 at 12:11. So it seems on some of these Xbox One tour consoles they’re updating them fairly regularly with dash updates.

derFeef

If I showed you 90 seconds of a game, would that tell you it's a bug free game?

People wanted to see snapping during a game, so this shows it. Now it's no real evidence that it works. I learn something new every day.

Vire

Looks slick, I like it.

I dunno how much I would use it though, when I'm playing games, I'm playing games. I don't need Internet explorer on the side.

Haunted

That crapgamer guy really hates GAF lol. Hes always on every Xbone story talking about this place!
It's quite common for people permabanned from GAF to hold a grudge and talk about this place. You can be sure there's at least one thread about "the pricks on GAF" with someone relating his ban-story on pretty much every other gaming forum out there. :D

Ha. I tried to sign in with several different Xbox Live accounts that I have but the dogfood build on these systems doesn't allow it :(

You’ll notice the dash is 6.2.10192.0 (xb_rel_launch_beta.131030-1211). That means it was built on October 30th 2013 at 12:11. So it seems on some of these Xbox One tour consoles they’re updating them fairly regularly with dash updates.

Thank you. Did you notice that the tiles below the current mainscreen/snap are a list of recently used/snapped items? Pretty nice.

I don't think it's surprising that the dashboard itself is pretty fast, having 3 gigs of memory devoted to it (I believe that's correct?), it's the integration of Xbox Live that's the unanswered question at this point, and obviously this video wasn't able to shed light on any of that. Not necessarily because it's broken but because it isn't up yet.

so uhh is the dnap feature just the xbox term for multitasking? I would presume ps4 has similar features? Am I right?
edit: that looks great btw

LowParry

I was wondering with Day 1 patching if we did see fixes. Though with what you have now, we're not seeing these crashes. But I still would like to see things signed in and live online in terms of performance. Looks pretty promising though.

Troll

Banned

Has anyone reported to you the issues about the snap feature causing crashes on the Xbox One?

Arttemis

Thuway's tweets and that long blog post about snap stability were regarding its use while ONLINE with multiplayer crashing. Simply restated, "PSN is much further along than Xbox Live." This doesn't disprove any of that, whether he browsed the internet/youtube or not.

Top Bottom