• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Lord Eternal, the Brazilian willing to pay $1850 for a PS4

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep, another PS4 Brazil thread. Follow-up to this one.

I used the 1850 USD price tag for the title because that’s the amount we’ve been rolling with in these threads. R$ 4.000 in today’s conversion would be slightly lower.

Translation by me:

http://gamehall.uol.com.br/v10/conheca-lord-eternal-o-brasileiro-capaz-de-pagar-4k-no-ps4/

ijBs8ZYX4t69R.jpg

Meet Lord Eternal, the Brazilian willing to pay $ 1850 for a PS4

The PlayStation 4 was officially released in Brazil this Friday (29), timidly and with no fanfare, unlike what happened with its rival the Xbox One, which had a series of events throughout Brazil - the main one at store Fnac in São Paulo, where the first buyer waited in line for 4 hours. But this was not a problem for Paulo de Campos (also known as Lord Eternal), who works with 3D modeling and lives in Salvador, Bahia. He bought the coveted console at the Sony Style store, located in Salvador Shopping, at 10 am, without having to deal with lines or anything. In fact, according to Paulo,”it was like the store stopped to treat me."

When the bitter price of R$ 4.000,00 was announced millions of Brazilians were outraged, and several boycott campaigns were organized. It’s an absurd price for a console, one that few can afford to pay. But these Uncle Scrooges do exist and we interviewed one of them; single, 34 years old with no kids (the console is for himself), and who probably was the first Brazilian to buy the local version of the console. Check out our interview below:

GH - Paulo, where did you buy your PS4 and how did you pay?

I bought it in Brazil, at the Sony Style store in the mall here in Salvador. I paid in full.

GH - And why buy here, paying R$ 4.000,00, if it can be bought by other means at a lower price?

Primarily because of the full warranty, and secondly because it’s more accessible to me. I only had to go to the mall to fetch it.

GH - So you didn’t think R$ 4.000,00 was expensive?

No, I'm used to video games being expensive. I’ve been a gamer for 30 years, after all this time I am used to the prices. U​nfortunately, in Brazil it has never been easy to buy games or consoles, the prices are always excessive.

GH - Were any of your acquaintances surprised that you paid this amount? How did people react?

All my friends are shocked, but I told them beforehand that I was going to buy it in Brazil.

GH - Were you the only one in your group to buy it here?

So far, yes.

GH - Why the PS4 and not the Xbox One?

Good question. I chose for the PS4 because last year I bought the PS Vita and PS3. Then I put my Xbox 360 away and I’ve been playing Sony ever since. So now I went for the PS4.

GH - Any chance to get the Xbox One in the future? Or will it be just the PS4?

Sure, I'm fanatic for Halo, and I really like the Xbox platform. I have over 100 original Xbox games on the shelf and a good amount of digital games as well.

GH - What are your thoughts so far about the Brazilian PS4? Is it all in Portuguese? Did you buy games, the camera?

Due to the PSN servers being overloaded I couldn’t play yet. I found no physical games, and I could’t download the ones I had already bought on PSN either. I didn’t buy the camera because it wasn’t available in any store.

GH - What would you say to the people who will criticize you for spending R$ 4.000,00 on a console?

That’s a good question. I’d say that it’s a free world, we are in a free and capitalist country. Everyone is free to buy whatever they want. If it’s on the shelf of a store, it’s for the public to purchase. It’s no big deal.

GH - Tell us a little about your game life, which consoles you played, favorite games, and if you have a favorite console.

The consoles I owned were the Atari, Master System, Nes, Super Nes, N64, GameCube, Wii, DS, DSi, DSi XL, I have the PS Vita, 360, PS3, PS4, and I also had the GBA. I have no preferred console, I like all of the ones I currently own and I miss the ones that I don’t have anymore. On games, I like RPG, FPS, adventure, action, etc, any that isn’t horror, or sports, as I find those boring. One of my favorite games is Skylanders. I've been following it since the launch of the first one, I have many of the action figures, I really like this game. And on the PS4 I'll be able to play the Swap Force version using remote play with the PS Vita, I'm looking forward to that.

LuuKyK

Oh God, not this guy again. We were discussing about him on BrasilGAF. lmao

I just discovered he is "famous" here for the worst reasons ever. Like thinking Entei is an entity that protects him in real life or something. He became a joke everywhere basically.

I just discovered he is "famous" here for the worst reasons ever. Like thinking Entei is an entity that protects him in real life or something. He became a joke everywhere basically.
What?

2San

I'm kinda curious what the reasons are.

Seems like he played too much Beyond: Two Souls lol

Peterthumpa

He's a nice guy, I've been posting in his thread at UOL Jogos where he described pretty much the whole initial feeling for the system.

I guess that general people just don't understand that if he's happy with the purchase, there's nothing else left to say.

Frodo

Wait, are you saying that that guy is the one responsible for this?

seloenteiseguranca.jpg

EDIT: OMG! HE IS! I've just noticed this picture as a watermark on the seal! lol

You know. My bundled controller didnt work and I had to buy a new one. I was cursing every Sony employee that has ever existed just because I had to pay an extra £55 quid.

Reading this makes me realise how spoiled I am.

Brickhunt

Praise the great Lord Eternal. I remember when they put him into a teen magazine contest for most beautiful male teen. He stayed for several weeks at the 1st until he was disqualified for being in his 30s.

Great guy, praise Entei

I'm kinda curious what the reasons are.
It's basically this dream he had after playing Pokémon Silver where he walked through a desolated place and then met Entei, his favourite Pokémon, who talked to him and said "everything was gonna be ok".

We still use Entei emotes as "everything will be ok now" lol
Best not to draw attention to this gentleman.
I don't mean that to mock him. I don't think he was ever serious anyways, people playing characters in BR message boards aren't uncommon.

LuuKyK

He posted this in a brazilian board:

Meaning: "Entei Seal of Safety" - "Everything is fine now" :lol

"I had a nightmare. I was in a dark place, like a cave, it was dark, I was alone, I walked a lot till I saw an exit, there was a canyon out there, I kept walking, then suddenly I saw Entei in front of me, wow, I sighed in relief, I even spoke with him, "Entei are you really here?" and he said "Everything is fine now".

At that time I was 23 yo, but I always had that pokemon as a protector, when I am having problems, I always think "I will be strong like Entei".

TheMan

tl;dr- he's rich as fuck and just wanted to get a hold a ps4 quickly and conveniently. in brazil this just happens to mean going to the store and picking one up.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Praise the great Lord Eternal. I remember when they put him into a teen magazine contest for most beautiful male teen. He stayed for several weeks at the 1st until he was disqualified for being in his 30s.

Great guy, praise Entei
Holy shit, I remember this. Capricho iirc. Had no idea that was him.

Ainnem

BRBRHUEHUEHUE GIBE QUOTAS PLOX

He is just a nice guy who enjoys spending all his money on nerdiness stuffs, not raising a family nor being a vagina slave. He is to be worshiped.

2San

It's basically this dream he had after playing Pokémon Silver where he walked through a desolated place and then met Entei, his favourite Pokémon, who talked to him and said "everything was gonna be ok".

We still use Entei emotes as "everything will be ok now" lol

I don't mean that to mock him. I don't think he was ever serious anyways, people playing characters in BR message boards aren't uncommon.
He posted this in a brazilian board:

Meaning: "Entei Seal of Safety" - "Everything is fine now" :lol
This is pretty hilarious though.

maouvin

Some fellow brazilian reported his age after Lord Eternal denied his money pleas, I presume?

He is just a nice guy who enjoys spending all his money on nerdiness stuffs, not raising a family nor being a vagina slave. He is to be worshiped.

And as soon as he changes, he'll get a beard, wrinkles and lose some hair. He knows his shit.

"Due to the PSN servers being overloaded I couldn’t play yet. I found no physical games, and I could’t download the ones I had already bought on PSN either."

$1850 and he couldn't even play his games... that's pretty shit.

Top Bottom