• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times your mind was actually blown by a video game

I might have been a bit dense and/or slightly less cynical at the time, but the KOTOR twist made me run around my dorm and wake up my friends at 2am to express my shock. (They'd already gotten that far and were waiting for me to catch up.)

That's probably the only case I can think of a game blowing my mind from a narrative or gameplay point of view.

Graphically, it probably just comes down to those big leaps, usually in the arcade. Virtua Racing, Killer Instinct 2, Daytona, Scud Race, etc. I remember getting a Dreamcast and that was the first time in so long I was just like "Holy shit!"

Playing Sonic CD on my phone was a pretty big one, too. It's pretty mind blowing to think that we casually play on our bloody phones what was cutting edge decades ago.

benzy

Ninja Gaiden Xbox.

I just couldn't believe the slick animations and types of moves you could pull off, all while running at 60fps with DOA3 quality character models and great texture work in a decently open environment.

ryuswukfp.gif

ShenmueDCbox.jpg

Oh my god, I had just got my Dreamcast and popped in this game. My friend and I were in the same room and we just kept on going "IT LOOKS LIKE A MOVIE! IT LOOKS LIKE A MOVIE!"

And being able to pick up almost everything, flicking light switches on and off, picking up plates, going outside and hearing peoples conversations. SO AMAZING!

rCIZZLE

p67l.jpg

Very few things in gaming blow me away like the first time I got into a 256 person game of MAG. Bummed that there's never going to be a MAG 2 and the servers are being pulled later this month.

Scanna

I think when I plugged my GameCube for the first time and played the intro level of Metroid Prime. I was speechless and so excited when I found out I could shoot those asteroids in the distance and break them

NinjaBoiX

Metropolis Street Racer - internal clock dictating the time of day in whichever country you were racing in

Black - the sheer destruction left in your wake after a big gun fight

Max Payne - bullet time

LoZ:OoT - Hyrule Field

FFVII - opening cinematic merging into gameplay, leaving Midgar, Golden Saucer

Metal Gear Solid - "it's like a Hollywood movie! Look, the opening credits are rolling as I play!"

Goldeneye - dam + sniper rifle

Halo - The Silent Cartographer

F.E.A.R - AI

GTA4 - euphoria implementation

Gran Turismo - GT Hi-Fi mode

gundalf

Playing the leaked Doom 3 alpha years before the final release. Oh boy me and my friends where blown away by the graphics and it did even run quite well with a Geforce 2 MX!

bomma_man

First time playing GTA III as an eleven year old was pretty crazy, realising that we could live out our violent childhood fantasies.

I think my mind blown by 3D visuals for the first time when I played this game, Hunter, on Amiga 500 back in 1991.

325100-hunter.png

And I think it's because of that that Mario 64 didn't have the same impact on me. It might look like crap next to that game, but it was released five years earlier.

The next one in terms of graphics was probably Daytona USA in the arcades. It just stood and stared on the game when I saw it. :)

And then.........the E3 trailer for Half Life 2, with the striders. It fel like it shouldn't be possible to do games like that.

Non graphics related:
*The ending of Jak 3.
*The second half of Portal 1.
*The horseless headless horsemans head in TF2. :D

Rojo

The most recent one that i can think of is in AC2 the truth video and then the ending scene with minerva talking directly at the player scaring the shit out of me then to Desmond kicking ass then end credits. Wow i was so pumped at the end and had high hopes for the modern showdown being the next game, but nope we got brotherhood rev 3 and now black flag good games. It seems i was the only one who liked the modern plot and Desmond i wonder if its just a loud internet minority or the general public's view that the modern stuff sucked.

Daytona USA - I turned up at the arcades one day and Daytona USA was there. Put simply, up until this point I hadn't ever actually imagined a video game looking this good.
d81b4019-f694-4263-8e28-140fdfff8efa_zpsbd6c76e8.png

Yeah, this left me pretty speechless when I saw it in the arcades in 1994. Full on textured mapping and 60 FPS gameplay, it was a ,massive jump ahead of anything in the arcade at the time, and there wasn't anything remotely like it on home consoles or personal computers in the early 90's. Even the 32bit consoles that came out a year later couldn't match the splendor of Sega's Model 2 arcade board.

akira28

Dark Castle blew my fucking mind. On a monochrome Apple computer. At the time, Mario and Donkey Kong were the standard for platforming excellence, but this was next level.

Next was Out of this World. The smoothness of those graphics in motion was amazing at the time. There was nothing like it.

And later Duke Nukem 3D Multiplayer. It was bliss. Over phoneline or college ethernet, it was some of the best gaming before that went mainstream with Quake and Unreal.

demolitio

Mario 64 - Best Christmas ever and the transition to 3D was memorable to say the least.

SOCOM 1 - First time playing an online shooter and realizing I could communicate with these people and that each time I died, it was because of a real person was just crazy to me at the time.

Battlefield 1942 - Am I really able to control a ship while my friend is a mile away taking a village in his take? Wait, did I just sink that carrier?!!?!?

"Search - Valkyria".

Disappointed everyone.

Valkyria Chronicles. Beating the Chapter 7 boss for the first time as I finally grasped the concept of how strategy in the game works as I formulated my attack plan from studying how the Batomys moved around the map. Then there was the sheer size of the Chapter 6, 11, and 13 maps. My perception of map sizes in SRPGs before I played Valkyria Chronicles was 15x15 grids AT MOST. Goddamn the sheer size of those maps defied my expectations.

BF4 on PS4. Say what you want about how... Intact... The game is, let alone the lack of a basic feature like Party Join, or the SP deletion bug (Who plays BF for the SP anyway?). But 64 Player Battlefield on consoles WITH 60FPS is a technical accomplishment in my book.

kiguel182

The opening of Bioshock is one that I remember being mind-blown, I think I replayed that demo 4 or 5 times until I actually got the game.

The twist was the second mind-blowing moment I remember, just amazing. I was floored by it.

Ommadawnyawn

Neo Member
8-bit:
Wonder Boy III - The intro tie-in to the prequel, the transformations, and discovering that falling into the water didn't mean death; instead there was a new world to explore down there. Then later discovering how the game world was tied together.

Mega Man series - The amazing audiovisual design and how you assimilated the enemy abilites to grow stronger.

Mario Bros 3 - The suits and for the time huge scope of it all.

Catrap - First video game to feature time rewind?

Gargoyle's Quest, Wario Land - It's good to be bad!

Metal Storm - In depth reverse gravity mind fudge

Zelda: Link's Awakening - That melancholy

Wario Land II -

16-bit:
International Karate +, Bomberman, Micro Machines, Scorched Earth, TMNT and SoR - Unforgettable multiplayer experiences

Doom, Star Fox - 3D! And great games too.

Sonic (Green Hill Zone) - Awesome flow and audiovisual design

Beneath a Steel Sky, Day of the Tentacle - Woah, games can be funny?

Zelda: ALTTP - Perfect way to start off an adventure

Space Hulk, Cannon Fodder - SH scared the shit out of me and both really made me care about the bunch of pixels I controlled

Another World, Super Metroid - Really stimulated my imagination and seemed like a big step towards storytelling for games done right.

Warcraft II, Red Alert, Heroes III, Dungeon Keeper - I have become the destroyer of worlds.

SimCity 2000 - It's not all about killing stuff, you kn- Oh look, a UFO!

32-bit:
Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, FF series, Daytona USA, Gran Turismo - Seemed like every second new game I played revolutionized the medium in some way at the time.

Diablo, AoE II, Quake II, Starcraft, Starsiege: Tribes - Where I started with online gaming and all that went with that.

Baldur's Gate, Fallout - Freedom, fairly complex character building, decent writing!

And so on...

Edit:
YoshisIsland-Raphael.gif

MD Sonic - So fast and colourful, awesome soundtrack
Streets of Rage 1/2 - Graphics/soundtrack
Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Saga/Orta - One of the best gaming universe's ever, awesome soundtracks.
Shenmue 1/2 - I was in a state of wonder the whole time I played these games.
Halo: CE - Stepping out on Halo for the first time. Meeting The Flood.
Skies of Arcadia - The epic boss fights.
Final Fantasy VII - Great cast, good story and great soundtrack.
KoToR - Star Wars, my first Bioware game, THAT twist.
JSRF - Just an audio/visual treat.
Syndicate Wars - The destruction you could cause, was awesome at the time.
Ninja Gaiden Black - The best fighting ever in an action game imo.
Mass Effect 1 - Exploring the universe, first Thresher Maw, Feros/Noveria/Virmire/Ilos/Citadel Invasion, soundtrack, squadmates.
FFXIII - Graphics, soundtrack.
Bioshock - Game intro/setting.
GTA IV/V - The cities, soundtracks.

Plenty more, but if we're talking about moments where I had to drop my joypad...that goes to Halo 2...The moment when I took control of The Arbiter was the answer to my prayers that Bungie would have the balls to do it. I wanted more insight to how The Convenant operated as a society, and due to the way Bungie had told the Halo story to that point (where you only see what MC sees), the only way we'd get that info in the games, was to play as one of them.

I seriously dropped my joypad and lit up a cig!

Lurch666

Apart for first seeing pong (The shock of playing a game ON A TV) it was I robot arcade.

First time seeing polygons and true 3D.Way ahead if it's time.

i-robot-20080828035804356.jpg

GorillaJu

Lots of games had impressive moments for me, but the only game that truly blew my mind was original EverQuest:

gfaydark-signsrjlt.jpg

Damn it still almost shocks me looking into that world. It's the only online game I've ever played that felt like I had to earn my stay in it. The world felt so lived in and old, even when the game was brand new.

The intro sequence (hell, any sequence) in Wing Commander 3. I couldn't believe I was playing a video game - Malcolm McDowel was in that shit!

Also the reveal in Mass Effect that the Reapers had been resetting the universe for thousands of years. What an insanely cool and scary concept.

KHlover

Banned
To be honest - the mission "Wolverine" from Modern Warfare 2. I had absolutely no expectations for any mission in that game, but this mission actually moved me. Running through the destroyed suburb with the ingenious background music playing....goddamn.

Scud Race and Virtua Fighter 3 when they first came out. i only saw Mario 64 afterwards and it looked ugly as sin next to the Model 3 games.

Gears of war 1, and uncharted 2!

Oh and MGS2, mind was blown when the credits rolled and still waited to play as solid snake.

And actually the photo modes in gt5 and now gt6 still blows my mind how detailed and photo realistic they are.

Garcia

- First time playing Blood Omen, watching that opening cut scene with flawless voice acting, and seeing you could murder random NPCs and drink their blood, all whilst your vampire laughs mercilessly. It was the most badass thing ever. Also, this scene:
act14b.JPG

No fade to black, no off-camera shadow trick, just a simple beheading plain to see without censorship. Silicon Knights were so ahead of their time, nowadays you still get games with shitty writing and shitty voice acting and cliché plot devices, go figure.

-But I AM dead! *slash*. . . As are you.-

I consider this my favorite line in any game to date.

JoeInky

Been gaming since the SNES but I don't think I've ever actually had my mind blown by a videogame, atleast not that I can remember, I generally don't get impressed by things though.

Delta Force 1 (1998)- What do you mean I can play with friends when they are at their house? Mind blown! I forget the term (system link?) but the method was my actual dial up connection actually calling his dial up connection and linking that way. The scale and draw distance of the open maps were insane/.
player-delta-force-gun.JPEG

Motocross Madness 2 (2000)- What, you mean I can download an endless number of user created tracks and bikes? As a huge motocross enthusiast, this meant i could race all the same real world tracks, bikes, and riders that i always dreamed about and saw the pros doing on TV.
maxresdefault.jpg

Halo Combat Evolved (2001)- My first game I bought with my OG Xbox after skipping the PS1/N64 generation. Wow at stepping out of the crashed ship to see my first look at Halo. Magical gaming moment.
Forkdropship.jpg

Skyrim (2011)- The world of Skyrim drew my in and immersed me like no other before. I really felt like I was the dragon born on an epic quest to save the world. Over 350+ hours later I'm still playing this.
Skyrim-Detail-Low-SliderComparison.png

DrunkDan

The ones that are most recent are probably related to the 3d GTA games and the Assassins Creed games.

With GTA there are just so many little touches that sometimes you don't even see for weeks. I remember seeing the police pull over other drivers, or watching npc's spray graffiti or break into other cars. And in V noticing that when the character wears flip flops that they actually behave like they should rather than just being stuck to the feet. Amazing attention to detail.

And the ending to AC1 was unbelievable - watching the apple open up and project the world map, then using eagle vision in the lab and seeing all the cryptic messages written in blood. Then AC2 had an ending that was even crazier, the realisation that Minerva was talking directly to desmond (and me). Plus completing the glyphs and unlocking the Adam and Eve video for some reason gave me a feeling of dread and wonder at the same time.

These are just a few examples but over the years there have been plenty of in game moments that have given food for thought, uncharted 2's scale and set pieces are another example too.

Delta Force 1 (1998)- What do you mean I can play with friends when they are at their house? Mind blown! I forget the term (system link?) but the method was my actual dial up connection actually calling his dial up connection and linking that way. The scale and draw distance of the open maps were insane/.
player-delta-force-gun.JPEG

I absolutely loved the voxel environments in Novalogics games, this was way back before polygon hardware acceleration was a standard on PC's and developers were experimenting with different 3D rending techniques. I remember seeing the original Comanche on my friends PC way back in 1992, and that really wowed me too. It ran so painfully slow though, but those environments were like nothing else for their time:

comanche.jpg

This was much nicer than any fog filled polygon environment from the same era.

Vitten

Unreal on PC. First time exiting the crashed ship and stepping outside on the planet surface with the awesome music kicking in. I'll never forget the sensory overload orgasm of that moment. It was graphically soooo much ahead of anything else at that time.

KOCMOHABT

Crysis? Crysis.

I remember the game lagging badly on my computer (low with some medium put in), and then with the "Very High"-for dx9 cards hack, I changed it to max graphics and was literally blown away (as was my friend who was with me back then). The water, the physics, the crabs running away to the water, the trees, the freaking sunlight dappling through the leaves, the enemies' faces, the motion blur (which i saw a lot since the game was basically running at a frame per second)... then going underwater ... the underwater plants slowly moving with the current... god.

Good lord it looked so unbelievably sick back then.

I have never been flashed by graphics ever after. Especially since it looks like shit on Low.

kiri

Mindblown? Honestly, the only time it has happened was the big twist in Resident Evil: Revelations.

You're on another boat!

My jaw was on the floor.

Ferrio

Banned
STARCRAFT 1 Demo, everything about it blew my mind. I can play the full units in MP you mean? And the quality of that demo was something else... Ohh and...

Too soon...too soon executus

As shitty as molten core was, seeing Rag for the first time was amazing.

Bracket

It's gotta be Okami for me. Just the unique art style blew my mind. Maybe it was because I had just come off disappointed with Twilight Princess and I didn't know too much about Okami. But the game really surprised me through presentation and style especially and is one of my top games of all-time.

derExperte

I absolutely loved the voxel environments in Novalogics games, this was way back before polygon hardware acceleration was a standard on PC's and developers were experimenting with different 3D rending techniques. I remember seeing the original Comanche on my friends PC way back in 1992, and that really wowed me too. It ran so painfully slow though, but those environments were like nothing else for their time:

http://static.arstechnica.com/sims-feature/comanche.jpg[/IM G]

This was much nicer than any fog filled polygon environment from the same era.[/QUOTE]

I saw Comanche in 92 when visiting a game show and that's when I knew the days of the Amiga were inevitably over, it was so far ahead of every other flight sim with their flat landscapes (Gunship 2000 had valleys afair), unbelievable. A year later I spent hours just flying around the very small and endlessly repeating levels. And then I bought Strike Commander. :O

In Phantom Hourglass when you need to transfer a location on a map carved in stone in the drop screen to your map on the bottom screen.

I tried drawing and all kinds of shit. Eventually I just gave up and closed my DS to take a break when it made a noise upon closing the lid.

I opened it to found the lid action had 'stamped' it on the map on the bottom screen.

I'm still recovering.

Prez

iYf5rjCpsc82a.JPG

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories ending is really phenomenal. It gave me feelings I never knew existed and was still affected by it days after.

Should I give this game another chance? I'm about 3 hours in (the part after the school) and I don't like it that much. Also I don't think it's scary at all.

Situacao

Ending sequence of MGS3

The game had been good but steady up to that point. Then it kicked it into overdrive. When I got to that point it was already pretty late, but like a great book ending I couldn't put the game down until it ended and once it did the rush of adrenalin, excitement, sadness, etc all were lingering after it was done. What an absolute amazing ride

This.

Also, Dynasty Warriors 2 ("omg, I'm fighting an actual army!"), Comix Zone (because of the comic book world), Vanquish (bullets everywhere), Gears Of War (that graphics), PES2, the intro to FF VIII, Zone of the Enders 2, Battlefield: BC2 and the entirety of FFX.

That's the moments/games that really made me go "OMG OMG!"... Man, now I want to play all that stuff again.

Bracket

In Phantom Hourglass when you need to transfer a location on a map carved in stone in the drop screen to your map on the bottom screen.

I tried drawing and all kinds of shit. Eventually I just gave up and closed my DS to take a break when it made a noise upon closing the lid.

I opened it to found the lid action had 'stamped' it on the map on the bottom screen.

I'm still recovering.

Oh, yeah! That was pretty crazy.

Top Bottom