• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game in the franchise?

unrealist

Mass Effect - Mass Effect Andromeda

Suikoden - Suikoden Tierkreis

Borderlands - Borderlands 1

Souls - Demon Souls

Zelda - Zelda 2

13ruce

Banned
Zelda: sorry guys Zelda 2 don't kill me.

MGS: Portable Ops+

Metroid: Other M

Mario: New super mario bros games i hate them i prefer 3d unless they go sprite/hand drawn.

Castlevania: Portriat of Ruin and i still love that game lol. Never played los 2 los 1 was awesome.

Kingdom Hearts: Re: Coded and COM both are meh to me watched all cutscenes on yt.

GTA 3: i find this the most boring GTA game Vice City is so much better it's insane.

Pokemon: I will be killed for this but the gen 1 games. The remakes were nice.

For Silent Hill it's a toss up between Origins, Homecoming, SM or Downpour. While origins was more of prequel to SH1, all of them aped SH2's storyline to a degree.

Homecoming's ripoff of a story was goddamn offensive.

All silent hills after 4 should've told their own stories, or expanded upon bits of lore(like The Room!) than continually trying to be the next SH2.

Titania

Fallout - Fallout 4
Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2
Silent Hill - Downpour
Final Fantasy - XIII
Metal Gear Solid - V
Star Fox - Assault

For Silent Hill it's a toss up between Origins, Homecoming, SM or Downpour. While origins was more of prequel to SH1, all of them aped SH2's storyline to a degree.

Homecoming's ripoff of a story was goddamn offensive.

All silent hills after 4 should've told their own stories, or expanded upon bits of lore(like The Room!) then continually trying to be the next SH2.

It's always a hard toss up for me between which is worse, Downpour or Homecoming, but at least Homecoming was fun to play to an extent if you looked at it as unrelated to the series. Downpour was just a chore no matter how you viewed it, in my opinion, and Origins felt a bit pointless with the story, in addition to the ability to move between 'normal' Silent Hill and the rust world at your will annoying me. Shattered Memories is tied for favorite in the series due to the gameplay mechanics, while 4 I really enjoyed due to the expanding of lore.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Only counting canon games:

The Legend of Zelda = Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Final Fantasy = Final Fantasy II
Kingdom Hearts = Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
Dragon Quest = Dragon Quest II (NES)
Sonic = Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Star Ocean = Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
Suikoden = Suikoden IV
Resident Evil = Resident Evil 6
Silent Hill = Silent Hill: Downpour
Breath of Fire = Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter
Monkey Island = Escape from Monkey Island
Persona = Revelations: Persona
Tales = Tales of Innocence (Tales of the Tempest is a spinoff so doesn't count)
Phantasy Star = Phantasy Star III: Generation of Doom

In terms of all the games I have played, which unfortunately doesn't include the PC titles released prior to Battlefield 3, I rank them:

Bad Company 2 > Battlefield 1 > Battlefield 4 > Battlefield 3 > Battlefield BC2: Vietnam > Battlefield 1943 > Battlefield 2: Modern Combat > Bad Company 1

The bolded were all released before Battlefield 3. Unless you're trying to say you only played BF3, BF4, and BF1 on PC and the others on different platforms--which may explain your rankings a lot since BF2:MC is considered one of the best BF games to date, and 1943 on PC was pretty shitty.

Only counting canon games:

The Legend of Zelda = Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Final Fantasy = Final Fantasy II
Kingdom Hearts = Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
Dragon Quest = Dragon Quest II (NES)
Sonic = Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Star Ocean = Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
Suikoden = Suikoden IV
Resident Evil = Resident Evil 6
Silent Hill = Silent Hill: Downpour
Breath of Fire = Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter
Monkey Island = Escape from Monkey Island
Persona = Revelations: Persona
Tales = Tales of Innocence (Tales of the Tempest is a spinoff so doesn't count)
Phantasy Star = Phantasy Star III: Generation of Doom

This is a good opinion. All of it.

Bergerac

In what Unholy dimension is RE0 a worse RE game than RE6? Regardless of how you feel about 0, at least it's actually an RE game. Added to that, it ain't even that bad.

So the enemies are mostly animals. Meh. Yeah, I like the Eliminator apes personally, but the rest is uninspired, I agree.

True, the last boss sections are a little resource unbalanced. Though it can be beaten.

Yeah, the villain is as hokey as can be without going full on Code Veronica. Still, it ain't Code Veronica. Positive by default - worse exists.

And well, everybody hates the inventory system. Play the game a couple of times and it's actually very easy to deal with though. Dump the hookshot on the Training Facility upper floors, as soon as you get there, to grab later when you go to the Church, where you use it twice. It's that simple. You don't even need it for the final third of the game. It's not that big of a deal. The Hunting Rifle? Ditch it. It's crap. Play as Billy, w/ shotgun, let Rebecca fire a pistol. The only two slot weapons you'll really need are shotgun and grenade launcher. As soon as you upgrade one pistol, ditch the other. Inventory really isn't a problem with the item dropping. Apart from puzzle and key items or ink ribbons, chances are you won't be dropping much ammo or guns anyway. Like the hookshot, just leave key items next to where they're needed later.

The game, however:

- Is a classic RE.
- Manages to be the most [technically - if not stylistically] aesthetic RE to date.
- Is fairly cheap and easy to find.
- No bullshit within. No glitches, no bugs, nothing's 'cheap'. It works.
- Is the only other REmake style RE we have so far. Enjoy it for what it is.

giphy.gif

SO MANY have forgotten the Vita specific Silent Hill Book of Memories. Sure there was also those Origins ports to PSP with that trucker or something- but you can't touch this outside of pachinko for Silent Hill depths. Are we discounting arcade games? There's always slots.

Metal Gear Solid V
Fulton system alone is more interesting than Ac!d don't you think? Do you think the zombie crystal survival sim will be a better treatment of the characters? :p

Spinluck

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Resident Evil 6
Final Fantasy 8
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (Mainly only played the prime series in Metroid)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Sonic & Shadow bits are the only really good bits)
MGS4 or MGS5
GTAIV
Sticker Star

Sonic 2006 exists.

Of the ones I've played:

Dead Space: 3
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Final Fantasy: 2 (JP)
Mario: Sunshine
Metal Gear Solid: V: The Phantom Pain
Castlevania: Judgment
Mega Man X: 7
Street Fighter: 4
Rayman: 2

It's always a hard toss up for me between which is worse, Downpour or Homecoming, but at least Homecoming was fun to play to an extent if you looked at it as unrelated to the series. Downpour was just a chore no matter how you viewed it, in my opinion, and Origins felt a bit pointless with the story, in addition to the ability to move between 'normal' Silent Hill and the rust world at your will annoying me. Shattered Memories is tied for favorite in the series due to the gameplay mechanics, while 4 I really enjoyed due to the expanding of lore.

Agreed with SM gameplay mechanics. Although I think SM would've been a better game if it wasn't a SH game, rather as its own thing. With a few changes to the story and characters, the game could've been a decent homage to SH.

SO MANY have forgotten the Vita specific Silent Hill Book of Memories. Sure there was also those Origins ports to PSP with that trucker or something- but you can't touch this outside of pachinko for Silent Hill depths. Are we discounting arcade games? There's always slots.
silent-hill-book-of-memories-james-heather.jpg

Holy shit, they hit James and Heather with the fugly stick.

Thud

Some of my favorite series:

Zelda - Phantom Hourglass
Mario - Lost Levels
Pokemon - Diamond & Pearl
Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon
Metroid - Other M
Donkey Kong - 64
Mario Kart - Wii
Smash - Brawl
Ys - Ancient Ys Vanished (I)
Persona - Revelations (1)

Phantom Hourglass is basically a mini Wind Waker for DS with touch controls, one boring dungeon and a bland design. It does have Linebeck.

Lost Levels is what we call Super Mario Bros 2 (JP). It's basically like Nintendo released their own romhack of the first SMB game, but with masterclass trolling design unlike Nintendo.

Diamond & Pearl are my least like generation. One mountain to traverse the entire game, a big step down in designs from gen I-III and the rival that bumps into you. Actually that last thing is something I embraced in a replay.

Shadow Dragon is just a mediocre game, I would say there are worse fire emblem games, but they still posses more quality. Low level remake with horrible art and animations.

Other M needs no introduction. Mentioning the baby is enough to cause seizures for some of us here.

Donkey Kong 64 is actually a fun game, but it took collecthatons way too far.

Mario Kart Wii has aged more than any other mario kart game. The tracks look like crap, everything controls like runaway seafood and it sold great. Let this be a lesson that even shitty games can sell well.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was disappointing in lots of ways after Melee and even 64. Characters are slow, random tripping occurs and online was basically crap because Wii. It did give us Snake and Sonic.

Ys I is still a charming game. However it has some fatal flaws like Dark Fact and reaching your max level way too soon. Bump system is actially pretty cool.

Persona 1 is the hardest one to get into. Even the psp remake which makes battles faster and songs more memorable suffers from poor movement speed, lots of grinding, forgettable side characters and a somewhat tedious battle system. It's quick, but all the different elements, weapons, arcana and battle positions make it hard to get what is truly effective. It does have an own version of Al Capone, so it's something at least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In what Unholy dimension is RE0 a worse RE game than RE6? Regardless of how you feel about 0, at least it's actually an RE game. Added to that, it ain't even that bad.

It's probably the "worst" mainline traditional RE game (aka RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE:0) due to some mechanics like the partnering and no storage box but it's still a good game, and it's a farcry from the other RE games like 6, ORC, Umbrella Corps, RE:Outbreak.

Mr.Fox

Uncharted 1 (yes, it's historically the most important, but still objectively the worst game)

For MGS I can't really decide between 4 or V, they are reverse situations. MGS 4 is shit at the beginning (until well after the first half of the game actually), but the climax saves it. MGS V has a solid first half then... nothing, a lot of buildup, but no real climax. I'm not considering Portable Ops here.

StarCraft II: Nova Covert Ops, the campaign is fun, the story is laughable (it's below bad fanfic level). It's still ok tho, it's just a mini-campaign, definitely produced with a small budget and tight schedule, worth it for the cheap price.

VDenter

Banned
MGS4
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Super Mario Bros 2
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Skyward Sword
Fallout 4
Uncharted 1
GTAIV
Resident Evil 6
Dark Souls 2

Davey Cakes

Mega Man Zero 4.

Felt a bit like "more of the same" after the absolute peak that was MMZ3, but that wasn't really a new thing for the series, considering how many Classic MM games and X games there were.

Still a fun experience, of course. And it capped off one of my favorite offshoot series ever.

n051de

Guilty Gear 2 Overture
Metal Gear Solid V
Dynasty Warriors 6
Duke Nukem Forever
Gran Turismo 5
KOF XII
LittleBigPlanet 3

The bolded were all released before Battlefield 3. Unless you're trying to say you only played BF3, BF4, and BF1 on PC and the others on different platforms--which may explain your rankings a lot since BF2:MC is considered one of the best BF games to date, and 1943 on PC was pretty shitty.

Uhh...1943 on PC didn't exist at all. It was cancelled upon BF3's announcement.

Top Bottom