• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is probably why I haven't gotten into any other MMOs because I'm not normally that kind of person, but personally I can't understand what Final Fantasy XIV has to offer for people who don't like its story and world. From a purely mechanical standpoint it's OK, but just crunching the numbers in itself doesn't seem interesting enough to hold my attention for long.

Killing digital dragons with friends is fun. Higher tier PvE in this game has a huge potential that's not fully realized but it still contains some very enjoyable nuggets of gameplay. Raiding is fun. Doing challenging dungeons cooperatively is fun. This game has aesthetically great instances to support it. What isn't fun however is running around from point A to point B clicking on hotspots to watch another movie about literal who characters.

At this point I believe that story in XIV is praised only as a reactionary thing after Final Fantasy being mired for years by pretty terrible storytelling quality in single player titles (and in my opinion this still hasn't changed - I find XV to be a terribly handled game). But look at the actual gameplay that the storyline campaign involves. It's awful. Dozens upon dozens of single player only scenarios is wildly inappropriate for a massively multiplayer game. Making hours of cutscenes doesn't really make for a good video game story. Very little in XIV takes advantages of video games as a storytelling medium, let alone MMORPG as a storytelling medium.

If an MMORPG is trying to tell you a story about a massive battle between Power A and Power B... it should probably be some kind of massive battle players can participate in. Not a movie. I'm a huge fan of storytelling-through-mechanics and storytelling-through-environment. Or at the very least, storytelling through not wasting people's time.

Let me give examples. One of the best stories in games recently can be found in Nier Automata. Why is it so good? Well it still has cutscenes. But cutscenes are limited only to what they need to tell. A lot of other story elements are told through just the way environment is portrayed, or through the way bosses act, or the way NPCs act during gameplay. And when the game wants you to trek a bit, it will still find a way to tell you something just in the background (a good example of that is when you leave Amusement Park for the first time and are on your way to Pascal's Village, things will be happening en route instead of in a movie).

Now look at XIV. Its story is told almost completely in the format of "Go here, click on this thing, watch cutscene". Sometimes you kill an easy enemy. They took questing format from WoW but didn't understand that even WoW constantly tries to spice up the tedium with random unique mechanics. Like, sometimes a quest will turn into a shooting gallery, other times you'll get to ride a huge killing machine mowing down hundreds of enemies. The best XIV does is giving you mandatory party dungeons. Although you can spot a "Quest Action" HUD element in Stormblood letter from the producer so they've picked up on this I think.

Like... It doesn't matter how good the scenario is in a video game if you're not really involved in it as a player. And the scenario is not that good! It's padded, it focuses too much on boring Scions, it's not even particularly well-animated most of the time. Yeah, there's been more good than bad recently, but damn it can be such a slog. Stepping into the last quarter of the Palace of the Dead was much more breathtaking than listening to another soliloquy by Y'shtola could ever be. Seeing Bahamut use Teraflare the way he did in The End of an Era was much cooler than listening to Illberd elucidate about muh Ala Mhigo for the xth time.

tl;dr I cannot in good conscience say a story in a video game is good if it doesn't take advantage of the medium and doesn't exist to support the process of playing.

duckroll

I dunno that's a whole lot of text that I think doesn't apply to a lot of people playing FFXIV. It's not that your opinion is invalid or anything, but I doubt any of those considerations apply or matter to people who are playing FFXIV for the story and characters and world, and are really enjoying it. Yoshida is right about MMOs being theme parks. And by that nature it means the brand matters and the brand in this case is the value fans hold for what differentiates it from other games in the genre. You can kill dragons with friends in a dozen different MMOs. Why pick FFXIV? Because it has a world that feels like FF, it has a scenario that invokes the things people like about FF, and it has familiar jobs, monsters, and designs populating the world.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Because it's like one of the few actually polished ones that gets long-lasting support. Have you tried other MMOs? They feel like they're designed for aliens.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Think I've accomplished everything I wanted to going into SB. 260 BRD, 240 WHM, completely caught up on dungeons, etc. Time to spend the next two weeks doing nothing but farming MGP for that sweet, sweet GARO glamour gear.

??????????????????????????

The only reason I'm playing this game is for the story and the world...

Uhhhh I'm not singling you out or anything! I just said the overwhelming majority of ffxiv's fanbase are not playing for story :p FFXIV is a great FF game for story. In fact, i'd rate it very highly as one of the better titles.

KuroNeeko

Uhhhh I'm not singling you out or anything! I just said the overwhelming majority of ffxiv's fanbase are not playing for story :p FFXIV is a great FF game for story. In fact, i'd rate it very highly as one of the better titles.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd rate FF's story very highly right now. I'm in 2.1, and other than the climax, there wasn't that much there to keep me invested. Seeing my miqo'te on the screen interacting with the other story characters and all is nice, but the plot feels like it's mostly unrealized potential.

The first glimpse of realized potential I've seen was Tam Tam → Tam Tam (Hard) →
PotD
. If they continue to do more things like that, then I think you can make the argument of FFXIV being a compelling vehicle for storytelling. Right now, there's too much padding.

I'm still in 2.1, so I'm looking forward to being proven wrong.

I think aside from the unique game design decisions in FFXIV, the main appeal has less to do with the story, but more the gameworld / setting. Players are fighting against monsters that have appeared in past FF titles using magic and weapons that they are familiar with. It's the allure of playing a (significant) role in the FF universe.

Of course, that brings its own set of annoying restrictions: no necromancer / demon-based classes, druidism / elemental magic is divided into Conjury and Thaumaturgy. Taru-taru.

It's not bad. I'd even go so far as to say that it's probably about average compared to say, GW2 and maybe slightly lower than say, WotLK-era WoW. My opinion / perception can, and probably will, change as I advance further along the story.

As a game designer, I agree with Frumix about gaming as a vehicle for telling interesting, compelling stories. I'm not sure FFXIV is there (yet), but part of the appeal of MMORPGs is creating your own stories via the experiences and memories you have with other people. I mean, yeah, canon-wise, our dedicated AST deciding to tank lvl 30 content with her DRK and then forgetting to set GRIT (while I healed in Cleric Stance) probably didn't lead to any stunning revelations, but it's a "story" that I will remember for a long time.

kagamin

Despite having started in January, I can say I'm genuinely invested in the story, I really can't wait to see what happens a and I read every piece of dialog. If more game had minimalistic writing that rely more on investing you in exploration like mainline Etrian Odyssey I wouldn't necessarily mind that either though.

Dinjoralo

Speaking of which, my entire hotbar layout is still fucking terrible after almost 160 hours. I'm really bad at this MMO thing. Any time you give me a customizable UI, and I can't do anything. I need well designed UI out of the box. :(

I'm pretty proud of my hotbar setup, it works well enough for most situations, and I've even got it working nice with a controller too. I'm gonna need to change it for Stormblood, though. Stupid more inventory space...
XTwWqU4.png
Also, there's a GAF FC? I like my current FC too much to change, and I'm sure as hell not switching off of Lamia.

dramatis

Would a laptop with a GTX960M w/ 2GB dedicated memory be enough to comfortably run this game? I'm in the market for a laptop that I'd be using mostly for productivity, but would also like for it to have some light gaming capabilities on the side. Currently debating between something with an 960M or spending a bit more to get a more recent 1060.
I think you will be fine.

Talking seriously now, controller comes with it's own set of issues, but is without doubt the best controller implementation on a MMO ever. The amount of control it gives you in a limited set of buttons is quite astonishing, and after a while you will easily navigate through all the menus in the game.

Is a bit cumbersome at the start, but that's normal considering the amount of stuff you can do. You might take a while to find a skill placement that is comfortable with you, ask for help from fellow DRG regarding this.

The benefits is movement and a control system that is more natural for me. I've been a console player all my life and when I play MMO I'll have to click to do everything, which is not really optimal, in FFXI or GW was ok, but on XIV, with so many things happening on screen is hard for me, also having to manage so many hotbars and all.

Heavensward has had a good run with its main scenario narrative, but let's take a moment to have a think about some of the side stories that simply haven't been very good. Moments that make me think 2.x, while much weaker on the main scenario front, and without even factoring in the Coils of Bahamut, was stronger on the side story front. The whole Warring Triad "saga" from 3.2 to 3.5 for instance:

I like to say that I generally pay close attention to these side stories, but I simply cannot remember much of substance with this one. I think we learn more about Sophia and the lore around her by looking at the lyrics of her theme song than what the game actually conveys to us. Or perhaps I simply haven't been paying attention to what the Demiurges say in their dialogue boxes, but that was a while ago now. The three Primals here are merely presented as moderately surmountable obstacles leading up to no real end goal and I cannot fathom how wasted Regula van Hydrus is. He's a tertiary antagonist in the Heavensward main scenario, but someone who certainly could have benefited from more presence, focus and development, but they bizarrely decide to unceremoniously kill him off just like that, when he's a valuable opportunity to further try and humanise the upper echelons of Garlemald's leadership. And I feel the same way about Gaius. You have an antagonist with potential here and you squander it.

dramatis

Why is everyone laughing at me... :(
Aside from the Aether Compass key item, which tells you which direction and how far away the nearest current is, there's an Aether Currents menu that tells you all the currents you got and what you have yet to get. It's also divided into locations and quests so you know what you need to do.

Hopefully you have seen the Aether Currents menu at least?

Can you share what bindings you use so I can get an idea of how to go through a rotation on controller in my head?

This is the basic hotbar I use for combat duties:

This is the hotbar with my AoE skills I switch to when dealing with dungeon mobs:

And this is what I have on my cross hotbar:

(Cross hotbar can be gotten to by pressing L2-R2 simultaneously for the first or R2-L2 for the second.)

Ask me if anything isn't self-explanatory.

dramatis

For controller, I make a habit of putting the "bread and butter" abilities or the instant cast attacks on the face buttons instead of the DPad. When your left thumb is occupied with movement, the face buttons are easier to press than DPad. Cooldowns and casting abilities are for when you don't need to press it as much or you don't need to move to press.

Transfer to Cerberus complete

bye NA GAF o/
You're still welcome to drop by in the Discord and chat it up.

Wish you well on the new server.

Squishy3

Like, sometimes a quest will turn into a shooting gallery, other times you'll get to ride a huge killing machine mowing down hundreds of enemies.
Those stopped being fun... 4 WoW expansions ago? And then for some reason they decided to make one of those a daily quest in Legion. (It also took probably about 30 minutes to do until they changed it.)

Spoilers for all of Heavensward below:

They've been doing a lot better with giving your character some agency as of late, though. Someone actually hating you trying to make peace with the dragons and going out of their way to try to dispose of you temporarily so they can disrupt the treaty ceremony, to you getting a one-on-one dinner with the leader of Ishgard (and subsequently being very suspicious of the butler for obvious reasons after 2.5 and 3.2 :p) to your magnificent stroll towards Nidhogg on the Steps of Faith. They've been increasing character agency, and they've said they plan to continue that even more in Stormblood since they've had the big emphasis on decisions recently. Obviously you won't be able to effect anything major, as that would be too much, but a good example of the illusion of choice would be the decision regarding Papalymo after Baelsar's Wall. You can trust in him and leave, or you can't and he'll blast you away. And as evidenced by what happened to that Garlemald ship they sent to investigate the cocoon... he made the right decision in telling you to leave/blast you away. :p

Edit: I completely forgot about you being the ace in the hole for Ishgard in the grand melee and getting your one-on-one fight against Raubahn.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Those stopped being fun... 4 WoW expansions ago? And then for some reason they decided to make one of those a daily quest in Legion. (It also took probably about 30 minutes to do until they changed it.)

Spoilers for all of Heavensward below:

They've been doing a lot better with giving your character some agency as of late, though. Someone actually hating you trying to make peace with the dragons and going out of their way to try to dispose of you temporarily so they can disrupt the treaty ceremony, to you getting a one-on-one dinner with the leader of Ishgard (and subsequently being very suspicious of the butler for obvious reasons after 2.5 and 3.2 :p) to your magnificent stroll towards Nidhogg on the Steps of Faith. They've been increasing player agency, and they've said they plan to continue that even more in Stormblood since they've had the big emphasis on decisions recently. Obviously you won't be able to effect anything major, as that would be too much, but a good example of the illusion of choice would be the decision regarding Papalymo after Baelsar's Wall. You can trust in him and leave, or you can't and he'll blast you away. And as evidenced by what happened to that Garlemald ship they sent to investigate the cocoon... he made the right decision in telling you to leave/blast you away. :p

Edit: I completely forgot about you being the ace in the hole for Ishgard in the grand melee and getting your one-on-one fight against Raubahn.

None of that is player agency.

Valor

You'll see soon enough~

That remains dynamic and changing, and so it becomes the focus of discussion a lot of the time because there's only so much to be said until the next story patch.
Agreed. I'm pretty in the middle where I enjoy the story but I'm not like mega huge crazy about it. It's pretty good but given out so piecemeal that it's like so much time inbetween story segments. Especially post Heavensward. We get like five quests that barely advance anything and then it's lol see you in three months for the next tiny bit. I still prefer it to scouting mor dhona for children or delivering outfits, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd rate FF's story very highly right now. I'm in 2.1, and other than the climax, there wasn't that much there to keep me invested. Seeing my miqo'te on the screen interacting with the other story characters and all is nice, but the plot feels like it's mostly unrealized potential.
Honestly the story in 2.0 I feel only picks up for the Garuda fight to the end of 2.0 and then it spins its wheels for almost the entirety of 2.1-2.whatever the last one was. 5? The last couple bits leading into HW are compelling, but everything inbetween is slow burn set up for the reveal at the end of 2.x or vehicles for shoving more iconic FF summons into the game as primals. When the content was new, that was the huge hype train. It wasn't HEY LOOK AT THIS AMAZING STORY CONTENT it was HEY LEVIATHAN IS COMING OUT IN 2.2 (or whatever it was) so that's what got people excited. In Heavensward it has been more along the lines of HEY THIS NEXT BIT OF STORY IS GONNA BE CRAZY AWESOME and for the most part it has delivered on that. Basically the writing in HW >>>>>>>>>>>>> ARR. Going into Stormblood I'm super excited because the writing is only getting better.

Transfer to Cerberus complete

bye NA GAF o/
Bye forever

Controller is the real deal in FFXIV. I can't believe how much effort they put into it.
For sure. It's really helpful for console plebs like myself to get into and keep up with everyone else. Even after moving from ps4 to pc i keep using a controller.

Squishy3

None of that is player agency.
Never mentioned player agency, only character agency. You may play as that character, but obviously their agency is completely separate from you once in cutscenes. However, some of that agency happens to line up with what you as a player would do in that situation, and as I understand it they've said they're looking to do more of that in Stormblood.

Mainly pointing out your character watching the butler as they prepare the drinks when you're having dinner with Aymeric, after 2.5 and 3.2 yours and the character's thought process lines up perfectly. But fine, let me give you some of the storytelling in gameplay you so want, I won't deny it is sparse, but it is there. Thordan normal has Thordan become tired and he just runs around flailing his sword after he finishes casting Knights of the Round, Extreme's got the text line when what's-his-face comes out to do Spear of Might and says "You shall fall, as did your ally!" or Nidhogg getting more and more desperate as the fight goes on in the Final Steps of Faith, as evidenced by how many Akh Morns he starts throwing out towards the end of the fight.

Additionally, going back to your original post, you talked about the quests, I found a quote from a Mogtalk interview:

Q: A lot of players log in every day do dailies for beast tribes. Most quests though, lack a lot of interaction outside of picking up items and killing 1 or two monsters. Although, riding around a mount and casting it's abilities always seems refreshing. It gives players something different to do. Has there been any consideration to make daily quests more ”non-battle" related, something quick and enjoyable outside of the daily normal combat?
Yoshida:
To match the Stormblood timing, we are currently improving on the tools to broaden the range of play so that people can have a different quest experience. Also, your aforementioned ”something different to do" in a quest is a big theme/issue, so we will be bolstering this even beyond the release of Stormblood.

https://mogtalk.org/2017/03/12/mogtalks-questions-to-yoshida/

Caim

Remembered that W Cross Hotbar is a thing and I like it a lot despite the fact that you have to double tap the triggers (L2/R2) to reach them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Remembered that W Cross Hotbar is a thing and I like it a lot despite the fact that you have to double tap the triggers (L2/R2) to reach them.
It's really useful for stuff like chocobo, food, potions etc.

iammeiam

W-hotbar is a solid way to deal with weird skill activation orders during an opener; instead of reworking my main layout to accommodate weirdness in the latest and greatest, I can just change the W-bar alone and not have to memorize new skill locations.

Never mentioned player agency, only character agency.

Dude, what? your last post says verbatim "they've been increasing player agency" so... yes you did. You didn't mean it, maybe, but those are the words you used.

But fine, let me give you some of the storytelling in gameplay you so want, I won't deny it is sparse, but it is there. Thordan normal has Thordan become tired and he just runs around flailing his sword after he finishes casting Knights of the Round, Extreme's got the text line when what's-his-face comes out to do Spear of Might and says "You shall fall, as did your ally!" or Nidhogg getting more and more desperate as the fight goes on in the Final Steps of Faith, as evidenced by how many Akh Morns he starts throwing out towards the end of the fight.

Neither of those examples is anything more than like... Bosses having phases and occasionally scripted reactions during a fight. That's not storytelling via gameplay. The first example is literally a boss exiting a phase of the fight, the second is a one-liner midfight referencing a totally non-interactive prior occurrence of plot armor failure, and the third one is...a boss having a final phase? It's not story and has no meaning outside of the specific encounter you're currently engaged in.

XIV is moderately better at merging storytelling with gameplay during the solo instances, in that NPCs will actively have conversations mid-battle and such, but in dungeons and most of the overall questing there's killing stuff and then there's standing totally still while cutscenes play and things happen (or mashing skip.) That the game requires 99% of the world to be in stasis forever also limits the feel of risk. Unless and until they get their hands on WoW-level phasing tech, it doesn't matter how big and epic the cutscene you just watched is, the world at large is going to be the exact same after. It doesn't matter what kind of personality you give your character via answering questions in the quest, because the exact same things are going to happen no matter what you do. Maybe you'll have one less NPC around if their plot armor fell off, but it is amazing how limited the game can be by its technology. I'll again point to the mid-3.x storyline where
Ishgard is suffering riots and people are setting things on fire.
In theory you should be running through a chaotic disaster zone, and afterwards there should be signs of the destruction caused. Instead, you're running around the same normal zone as always and afterwards everything looks exactly as it did before because the game can't handle anything more complicated.

I'd be curious to know how much of the story is actively held back by their technology, and what they'd have done differently with the freedom to actually have story changes meaningfully shift the overworld. WoW could nuke Theramore and have it exist in both nuked and non-nuked states depending on what you phased into; if somebody tried to obliterate Saint Coinach's Find, they'd have to fail because otherwise it'd just break the hell out of ARR. It keeps stakes sort of low.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope the mogmenders come with us to Othard.

Or maybe they can help us rebuild ala mhigo.

suzu

When new players get to Mor Dhona and Idyllshire for the first time, they see the most current versions of it right? It would be neat if/when they do phased zones like WoW, etc.

iammeiam

When new players get to Mor Dhona and Idyllshire for the first time, they see the most current versions of it right? It would be neat if/when they do phased zones like WoW.

Yep; the only big overworld phased thing I'm aware of is the big bubble with the mystery rock formations in Hinterlands that ends up being
Alexander.
That the rock formations map 1:1 with the things that eventually poke out of the bubble makes it seem like they can do phased appearances but phased barriers is harder.

Random guessing though.

I don't mind the lack of player agency in the story.

I would like the WoL to do more things on their own though. Things that don't involve head nodding and making the occasional facial expression to convince the other characters that they're not an automaton.

Squishy3

Dude, what? your last post says verbatim "they've been increasing player agency" so... yes you did. You didn't mean it, maybe, but those are the words you used.

Neither of those examples is anything more than like... Bosses having phases and occasionally scripted reactions during a fight. That's not storytelling via gameplay. The first example is literally a boss exiting a phase of the fight, the second is a one-liner midfight referencing a totally non-interactive prior occurrence of plot armor failure, and the third one is...a boss having a final phase? It's not story and has no meaning outside of the specific encounter you're currently engaged in.

XIV is moderately better at merging storytelling with gameplay during the solo instances, in that NPCs will actively have conversations mid-battle and such, but in dungeons and most of the overall questing there's killing stuff and then there's standing totally still while cutscenes play and things happen (or mashing skip.) That the game requires 99% of the world to be in stasis forever also limits the feel of risk. Unless and until they get their hands on WoW-level phasing tech, it doesn't matter how big and epic the cutscene you just watched is, the world at large is going to be the exact same after. It doesn't matter what kind of personality you give your character via answering questions in the quest, because the exact same things are going to happen no matter what you do. Maybe you'll have one less NPC around if their plot armor fell off, but it is amazing how limited the game can be by its technology. I'll again point to the mid-3.x storyline where
Ishgard is suffering riots and people are setting things on fire.
In theory you should be running through a chaotic disaster zone, and afterwards there should be signs of the destruction caused. Instead, you're running around the same normal zone as always and afterwards everything looks exactly as it did before because the game can't handle anything more complicated.
You're right about that, I mistyped and used player agency instead of character agency in the second mention of agency in my post.

I'll still ultimately prefer the way XIV handles it even if the world kinda suffers compared to WoW where as soon as anything major happens in WoW your character suddenly ceases to exist.

Oh, you defeated Gul'Dan? Good job but you can't kill him because Illidan has to because you aren't prepared, sorry "Hero of Azeroth."

3.5/3.56 spoilers:

I'm pretty sure this is one of the few examples (2.5 being the other one that comes to mind) where your character's agency is completely taken away from them and for good reason since it's a primal nobody knows about and was sealed even before getting a glimpse of it. Presumably when we erncounter Shinryu in Stormblood somtime it'll be a "weakened" version that's feasible to fight. I'm personally excited because it'll probably be difficult for them to pull the "You just fought the aetherial version of this thing inside it's heart." card again.

Valor

They've been adding more illusion of choice, like with the most recent character incident. People were actually wondering what happened if you picked the other option.

I don't really care that the story is linear and leads me by the nose. I still personally find it enjoyable, though I know it isn't everyone's favorite.

Redx508

Would a laptop with a GTX960M w/ 2GB dedicated memory be enough to comfortably run this game? I'm in the market for a laptop that I'd be using mostly for productivity, but would also like for it to have some light gaming capabilities on the side. Currently debating between something with an 960M or spending a bit more to get a more recent 1060.

don't forget a SSD.

google stormblood benchmark 960m and see what kind of numbers people are getting.

Foxxsoxx

Controller is the real deal in FFXIV. I can't believe how much effort they put into it.

Just in case you don't know, holding down L2 or R2 and tapping R1 tab targets enemies very efficiently. I didn't learn that until 100+ hours in lol.

You can edit what it tab targets in the settings.

iammeiam

You're right about that, I mistyped and used player agency instead of character agency in the second mention of agency in my post.

I'll still ultimately prefer the way XIV handles it even if the world kinda suffers compared to WoW where as soon as anything major happens in WoW your character suddenly ceases to exist.

Oh, you defeated Gul'Dan? Good job but you can't kill him because Illidan has to because you aren't prepared, sorry "Hero of Azeroth."

Those two things are entirely unrelated, though. Letting you get the killing blow wouldn't take phasing away from WoW, and adding phasing to XIV wouldn't make Minfilia pop out of nowhere to steal the killing blow on Alexander. They're unrelated. It's less that I'm advocating XIV take story tips from WoW overall, and more that it's weird to me that XIV with its constant deep focus on story hasn't really evolved its storytelling technology over the years, and that other games that care far far less in general have developed a better toolkit for handling it. It's not that I expect it to be a deal breaker for people invested in the story thusfar, so much as I'm surprised that a dev team as dedicated as this one when it comes to the MSQ hasn't really spent much time trying to give themselves a bigger canvas to tell stories on.

They have, however, evolved their story-skipping tech so you can skip cutscenes with meaningless dialogue choices in them which is pretty nice.

Clunker

Just in case you don't know, holding down L2 or R2 and tapping R1 tab targets enemies very efficiently. I didn't learn that until 100+ hours in lol.

You can edit what it tab targets in the settings.
Also: Holding L1 or R1 and tapping up/down on Dpad will select enemies from the enmity list. It literally made tanking feasible for me and led me to decide to sub! Wish they featured this stuff more.

MilkBeard

Talking seriously now, controller comes with it's own set of issues, but is without doubt the best controller implementation on a MMO ever. The amount of control it gives you in a limited set of buttons is quite astonishing, and after a while you will easily navigate through all the menus in the game.

Is a bit cumbersome at the start, but that's normal considering the amount of stuff you can do. You might take a while to find a skill placement that is comfortable with you, ask for help from fellow DRG regarding this.

The benefits is movement and a control system that is more natural for me. I've been a console player all my life and when I play MMO I'll have to click to do everything, which is not really optimal, in FFXI or GW was ok, but on XIV, with so many things happening on screen is hard for me, also having to manage so many hotbars and all.

Yep, as someone who has never played an MMO before starting FF XIV, it took almost no time at all to learn how to use the systems. I admit I'm still learning, but it's quite intuitive, and only takes a little while to get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom