• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

I guess the game is supposed to unlock at 12AM PST on Xbox then?

physical strange thing was I needed to DL a 9gig update really hope it gets fixed cause while playable it just feels off

Damn, I'm assuming you're playing with said patch applied and it still has these frame issues? If so I'm not entirely surprised but I am fairly disappointed.

BashNasty

Unlocked this earlier today on PC with a VPN and got to play it for a couple hours before I had to go to work. I realize there's been quite an uproar in the PC performance thread about the various issues the game is having, but I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to overpower them with my PC which is, admittedly, a recently built, very powerful machine. I'm playing at 1440p with all the settings at ultra and the game performs well and looks great, aside from a large amount of aliasing, which is unfortunate.

I was a huge fan of the first Dishonored, mostly for all the creative ways it let me be a murderous bastard, and the second one seems like the developers have upped the ante in all the right ways. I'm playing as Emily for my first go and, while I'm still early on, it seems like there will be no shortage of abilities, powerups and weapon upgrades to customize my playstyle with. That's one of my favorite things about these kinds of games, I'm driven to keep playing because I want to unlock that next satisfying skill or upgrade, and Dishonored 2 looks like it'll deliver in that regard.

The level design, which was a highlight in the first game, seems like it could be even better here. The first proper level, set in Dunwall, was large and vertical, with plenty of hidden nooks and crannies to find all manner of gold and ammo. When I completed the level, thinking I had explored pretty thoroughly, I was shocked to see that I had found just over a third of the available gold in the level. That's crazy, and it bodes very well for another play through as Corvo. Movement, once again, feels great, you can go pretty much anywhere if you're clever enough, and everything from the blink ability you acquire early on, to thrusting your sword at enemies has a good feel to it.

Finally, like the first game, I'll be playing this one as an murderous psychopath. Granted, once I got the hang of the sword combat, the first level did feel pretty easy because of this, as it didn't take all that much skill or effort to just kill everyone rather than sneaking by them (on normal) but that was the case in the first Dishonored as well and I actually kind of like the power trip. My stats screen after the first level said that I had killed 28 guards and 2 civilians, my only regret was that I didn't find more civilians to kill.

I'm curious, since I know it tends to go against the grain of most people on GAF, who else here is going a full-loud, psychopathic run and gun play through for their first time through the game?

This things frame rate is so troubling.
That being said its been ok. Not really super exciting but overall pretty competent. Wish the level design wasn't so Gears with the walls in the middle of the road for no reason and stuff like that which really reminds me of gray boxing. But like exploring the nooks and crannies.. As always though sleepdarts in all games crack me up. Loving that here.

man that's disappointing to hear...

did you like the first one? how does this compare in your mind?

leng jai

PS4 Pro version definitely still feels like 30fps (very smooth though), no dips so far in the first 30 minutes. IQ seems pretty good, but it's hard to tell without the base version to compare.

That's assuming it's already got the Pro enhancements, patch notes don't mention it and in-game options only has brightness.

Karish

PS4 Pro version definitely still feels like 30fps (very smooth though), no dips so far in the first 30 minutes. IQ seems pretty good, but it's hard to tell without the base version to compare.

That's assuming it's already got the Pro enhancements, patch notes don't mention it and in-game options only has brightness.
Can you post a screenshot

BTA

Excited to jump in, but I never played the DLC for the original and only just started on those, so... might not be till later in the weekend. Still, even playing the DLC's getting me back in into things and it feels good.

Gtafans93

I guess the game is supposed to unlock at 12AM PST on Xbox then?

Damn, I'm assuming you're playing with said patch applied and it still has these frame issues? If so I'm not entirely surprised but I am fairly disappointed.

I am and it's sad fun game when it works but it just feels off with the controller and frame rate, which I am sure is connected. damn fine so far though

Tsukumo

Is the definitive edition still available for pre-orders? Forgot this was coming out today.
The bundle page in the Xbox store only shows 2 and the equipment dlc as downloadable items.

LAA

Just got an email from amazon uk I'm getting Dishonoured 2 on the 12th instead :(
Not too hyped for it so I can deal with it, but still sucks.

Ok so playing on pro versus xbox one, def can see less blurriness then before. Still a little framey when going on the small boat to the hub but not as bad as xbox one.

Holy shit, this game has completely snuck up on me. I think I had convinced myself it would be delayed for some reason, so I'm shocked it's actually here! Nice.

The Flash

Banned
Got to Karnaca. Beautiful setting but whooooo boy does this thing need a patch. Went from pretty smooth 60fps to everything but.

Karak

First playthrough done. Did a good deal. Like the mission structure at times. Keeps you interested and ended up being slower than I anticipated through some sections.

Xbox and PS4. Sticking with PS4 for now. Its ok but you see some drops. Not as much tearing on the PS4.

Thanks! Is the screen tearing on ps4 more or less aggressiv than dying light (i hope you played this on ps4)? And generally: is it often or just a little bit here and there?

What's the general consensus from those already playing it? I'm not keen on buying day one without reviews because of Bethesda's ridiculous policy...

Edit: Screen tearing? Yuck. I wonder if the pro version or a day one patch fixes this bollocks.

black070

My copies coming in later today, will be my first game on the Pro - still no word on the enhancements ? Strange, consdiering they're advertising it with the Pro, specifically stating its 'Pro enhanced' on the billboards and banners I've seen around London.

So far good game shit performance

so basically Wolfy New Order.

Game runs like ass but is good.

That Id Tech 5 engine...

Alas, I imagine development was too far along by the time Id Tech 6 had officially cleaned up IT4 and 5's glorious market-losing technological mess.

Also it just occurred to me - Is this the first sequel ever to switch from Unreal to Id Tech? I mean, just considering how the entire FPS (or first-person games in general) genre switched from Id Tech 3 to Unreal Engine 2 for their sequels and successors overnight when Id Tech 4 failed to deliver at the start of 6th Gen - And yet here we are, a sequel going in the opposite development direction all these years later. Actually kind of amazing - Well, it would be if it wasn't for the fact that the Id Tech version it's using is the one that's emblematic of why Unreal Engine became so popular in the first place at the expense of Id Tech going from THE FPS Engine to an FPS engine used by Id, Splash Damage, Infinity Ward, and noone else, save for Treyarch using Infinity Ward's IT3 derived frankenengine.

Oh yeah and, what's up with The Outsider's voice? The original voice actor for him was in the reveal trailer, but he sounds nothing alike here.

That Id Tech 5 engine...

Alas, I imagine development was too far along by the time Id Tech 6 had officially cleaned up IT4 and 5's glorious market-losing technological mess.

Also it just occurred to me - Is this the first sequel ever to switch from Unreal to Id Tech? I mean, just considering how the entire FPS (or first-person games in general) genre switched from Id Tech 3 to Unreal Engine 2 for their sequels and successors overnight when Id Tech 4 failed to deliver at the start of 6th Gen - And yet here we are, a sequel going in the opposite development direction all these years later. Actually kind of amazing - Well, it would be if it wasn't for the fact that the Id Tech version it's using is the one that's emblematic of why Unreal Engine became so popular in the first place.

Oh yeah and, what's up with The Outsider's voice? The original voice actor for him was in the reveal trailer, but he sounds nothing alike here.

ya its freaking stupid. the moment they said they were moving to a modified IT 5 I got real disappointed.

Wait...the voice actor is legit different? plz no...

Wanderer5

Apparently they didn't call Billy Lush back. Kind of a shame really, as he did a really nice job with the Outsider, but whatever, I sure Robin Lord Taylor can do the job fine.

Karak

Thanks! Is the screen tearing on ps4 more or less aggressiv than dying light (i hope you played this on ps4)? And generally: is it often or just a little bit here and there?

Like I said its either barely or not there on PS4 but I will know more when i got back and look at footage. Which makes me happy that it wasn't soul crushing if it is there because its probably my biggest pet peeve. It may be a top 10% of the screen kind or something . And I have no clue about Dying light on the PS4 sorry man. Its been ages.
Edit it really has been a long damn time since I played Dying light. Need to put that on the list. Thanks for the reminder!

seph1roth

WTF is this game also a mess on console?

Get your shit together Arkane

Also, is there someone with the game that is not playing with the outsider powers? because that's the most interesting thing about this sequel, being able to play without Superman against ants.

Apparently they didn't call Billy Lush back. Kind of a shame really, as he did a really nice job with the Outsider, but whatever, I sure Robin Lord Taylor can do the job fine.

his voice was great in D1...hearing a different voice is gonna take me out of the experience...

its the equivalent of if valve changed the voice of gman in half life

LaB_NL

I received the game yesterday and have been going through the tutorial and first two missions. As a huge fan of the first game, this one has improved on a lot.

I made some screenies? Welcome here?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in the UK got experience with Zavvi? How on point are they?

his voice was great in D1...

raw

I can take it or leave it, personally.

Also, is there someone with the game that is not playing with the outsider powers? because that's the most interesting thing about this sequel, being able to play without Superman against ants.

I will be... when I get my hands on it.

Anyone in the UK got experience with Zavvi? How on point are they?

When I preordered Injustice on the PS3 with them, it took around 6 weeks to arrive, and when it did it was the 360 version.

At times they're good, but every now and then they'll screw up big time. Also, getting preorder bonus DLC from them has always been a struggle.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When I preordered Injustice on the PS3 with them, it took around 6 weeks to arrive, and when it did it was the 360 version.

At times they're good, but every now and then they'll screw up big time. Also, getting preorder bonus DLC from them has always been a struggle.

I see.

chistemalo.gif

Thanks for the head's up!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is very obviously a great Dishonored game buried in here, unless it goes to shit.

Unfortunately;
1) Id Tech 5/6 is a sack of shit and has among the worst IQ and texture streaming of any major engine in the industry, not to mention the audio positioning in every single game is borderline broken. Art is the only thing that elevates it, and the adaptive resolution if you're on consoles and like consistent performance. That's literally it. It's total shit otherwise and needs to be binned.
2) Production in the intro is super fucking rough, like Arkane is rushing through their vision and didn't have the time/money/production team to see their vision meet a AAA standard. I'm not really bothered, but the sound mixing (particularly dialogue flow), animations, etc etc definitely don't feel finish. Just for the intro cutscene stuff, mind you.
3) Lack of raw mouse input and weird juttery frame timing despite 80 - 100 fps equates to a very disappointing PC port. DE:MD had the same problems. Jesus fucking christ get your PC ports right. I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

Thing is all the game systems and general feel, mood, ambience of the game seem totally spot on for what you want from Dishonored. Right down to the wee bit janky we're-focusing-on-design-and-play vibe that these great games all seem to have. But maaaaaaan Id Tech 5/6 can go suck a massive fuck. It just feel so off and I don't want to play any more at all until the technical issues are sorted.

I'm really sad to read the negative impressions due to the technical problems. Figures with Bethesda's no-review-copies policy. Though in a way maybe it will make consumers more cautious and patient with their purchases, which might ultimately benefit us. I'm dying to play Dishonored 2, it's one of my most anticipated games of the year, but I'll wait until the game is further optimized (not to mention more reviews coming out).

Top Bottom