• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't get why Sega doesn't make Initial D games for consoles anymore...

sublimit

Banned
Extreme stage came out almost a decade ago which makes me wonder what is going on with this franchise over at Sega.Initial D is a brand name that has a worldwide appeal and with the right marketing push i think it has the potential to do well worldwide if Sega puts the right effort on it.But right now they don't even bother porting the arcade games to consoles not even in Japan.Which i find very strange.

Are there any fans of the anime here and do you want to see the franchise move to consoles?
tumblr_nue269yyZ01r7sijxo1_500.gif

tumblr_omw09vhzRX1w646c4o1_400.gif

remz

outside of japan? Initial D isn't a thing anymore. It was only kind of a thing, when it was a thing.

Hmmm maybe in the US. I feel like here in australia every vaguely car obsessed 19-30 yr old has heard of it. Especially if they like japanese cars, even if they don't typically watch anime.

They used to show it on free TV here tho...

rolandss

I don't think this is true tbh.

I'd say it's fairly niche to the broader western public. Of my broader friendship group who have gaming consoles I'd say less than a quarter would be into anime and less still would have heard of initial d.

You'd probably have only heard about it if you're into Japanese car culture or anime.

PantsuJo

Initial D was the only anime capable of convincing a friend of mine to watch anime, for his first time.

Good games too, aside from the trash releases on PS1 (lacking of eurobeat music)

Also, where is Wangan Midnight, my boys?

I'm too old.

Matt

Racing games are already a pretty small market nowadays. Why would anyone try to further shrink their sales potential by adding a niche anime license on top of that?

Theswweet

Both me and my friend bought Forza Horizon 3 when we found out the Trueno was in it. That being said, there's an arcade around here with an Initial D cabinet...

pswii60

I've heard the name, but wouldn't have even known it was a racing game series. I'm a big Sega fan too, especially love their racers from Outrun to Daytona to Sega Rally. Even F355 Challenge! But never played an Initial D game - were they ever released in Europe?

remz

I also feel like SEGA are fucking up by not distributing the inital D cabs more. Out of the few arcades left in australia, like every arcade has a bunch of Midnight machines that are always being used by teens/young adults whatever. Seems like initial d could grab that crowd EZ.

F&F is part of the reason why I don't think Initial D will pick up in the West. Initial D will look pretty pedestrian next to F&F's over-the-top action.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
outside of japan? Initial D isn't a thing anymore. It was only kind of a thing, when it was a thing.
Wouldn't even say it's a big thing in Japan. Sega even reduced the amount of cabinets they have for it at Joypolis.

llehuty

I don't think it should be a factor if it's popular in the west or not. It will never get popular if they don't try.

I think the style and concept is original enough to stand out on itself if marketed correctly.

vocab

Initial D was a product of its time. The west got one of the arcade games with the shitty tokyopop localizations, and didnt really do anything for the popularity. Sports genre is niche sure, but initial d isnt obscure. The memes with initial d music are more popular than the series. I dont see new games being made.

danowat

Banned
I used to like the "Wangan highway battle tuner challenge" style games, last one I played was Import Tuner Challenge on the XB360.

I think a game like that, in the vein of Rockstar's Midnight Club, set in Tokyo, would be damn good.

Top Bottom