• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that ordered directly from Oculus, did your order come as 2 packages?

I got two separate tracking numbers. The additional information for both of them says there are 2 packages. One tracking number is 14lbs package, and the other 3.8lbs.

Obviously I assume the 14lbs one is the headset and the 3.8lbs one is the touch, but it looks like my touch has been delayed by a day. They were both shipped the same day... Kind of annoying that they aren't together.

jashan

Neo Member
I've heard decent thinks about Holodance as well but I haven't tried it.

One issue we're currently fixing is that currently, for "Free Mode" which lets you play any of the 55,000 osu! beatmaps for about 14,000 songs in Holodance, you still need to download osu!, get an account, get beatmaps, make sure they show up in osu!

So, you can immediately jump into Story Mode - but honestly, Free Mode is a lot more fun and fairly soon, instead of having to jump through hoops, you'll be able to browse the full library of available ranked (= high quality) beatmaps from within the game.

MDave

Man those god rays.

I don't have my Rift yet, but do they look like this? Or is this an over exposed image.

569557579_1280.jpg

Musician

I don't have my Rift yet, but do they look like this? Or is this an over exposed image.

More or less. It's very visible when there's white on a black background. A good fit will make then slightly less prominent.

I feel that most newer games are made with this in mind and avoid stark white on black, making it a non issue. Apollo 11 is god ray central, though...

Man those god rays.

True, I find it so weird that no-one is talking about that in reviews etc (the ones I read anyway back in the day when the Rift first came out). That and the limited resolution makes the Rift a clearly gen 1 product.
It's normal that such an innovative technology that it has some limitations, but I thought there was something wrong with my Rift for a while.

ChazGW7

This may have been asked before, apologies if so.

Is this worth buying over the Vive considering the price it is at currently?
Ive been wanting to jump in to VR at some point and this being at £400 is mighty tempting but I have always saw the Vive as the superior experience.

Would you say I should just go for this or spend the time to save for a Vive? Id like the best VR experience I can get but considering the Vive is £360 more expensive... is that worth it?

Ive been wanting to jump in to VR at some point and this being at £400 is mighty tempting but I have always saw the Vive as the superior experience.

Would you say I should just go for this or spend the time to save for a Vive? Id like the best VR experience I can get but considering the Vive is £360 more expensive... is that worth it?

yea? you are saving like 400 usd (which can go towards games, not only that but you're getting 7 free games)

the only thing vive does better is easier room scaling....but oculus can do it just as well with a third sensor, and with the right room setup, you could get away with it with just 2

GrazGamer

Looking for some advice as this price seems very attractive.

I currently have PSVR but I am principally a PC gamer with decent i7 6700 Titanxp rig. Does this offer any worthwhile benefits for an upgrade? I am assuming there are way more games and cheaper versions of PSVR games?

Is there any exclusivity between this and Vive for games, i.e. am I going to miss out on much?

Any help appreciated.

I currently have PSVR but I am principally a PC gamer with decent i7 6700 Titanxp rig. Does this offer any worthwhile benefits for an upgrade? I am assuming there are way more games and cheaper versions of PSVR games?

Is there any exclusivity between this and Vive for games, i.e. am I going to miss out on much?

Any help appreciated.

most of this has been hashed out already in the thread but....most every vive game you can play on oculus and vice versa.

psvr has some exclusives from my understanding, but with PC you have access to waaaaaay more games, and on top of that...the tracking/controllers are way better

GrazGamer

most of this has been hashed out already in the thread but....most every vive game you can play on oculus and vice versa.

psvr has some exclusives from my understanding, but with PC you have access to waaaaaay more games, and on top of that...the tracking/controllers are way better

Cheers, might just invest then.

Mascot

It'd be useful if the OP was updated with the various tips from this thread about possibly needing DP adapters if you are short of HDMI outs, good wall brackets, general sensor placement and tips on getting a good fit for the headset etc.

61 pages is a lot to plough through.

eXMomoj

The wait is killing me. Ordered the Prime day bundle (Oculus Headset + Touch + $100 Amazon Gift Card); and the headset and touch have still yet to even ship. I got the gift card 2 days after I placed my order.

hoserx

It'd be useful if the OP was updated with the various tips from this thread about possibly needing DP adapters if you are short of HDMI outs, good wall brackets, general sensor placement and tips on getting a good fit for the headset etc.

61 pages is a lot to plough through.

I know this thread is more active, but it is a thread about the $399 price of the Rift. Everything else like that would be handled in the Oculus Rift OT.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Having owned both at one time (selling the vive) the actual differences between a vive and rift are so small that the pros and cons of each balance each other out. When the prices were identical for both you can make an argument for either headset. Now that the rift is half the price I have yet to see a logical argument for choosing a vive over the rift at this price. Even many owners of the vive also recommend choosing the rift at this price. It's really a no brainer.

Blam

True, I find it so weird that no-one is talking about that in reviews etc (the ones I read anyway back in the day when the Rift first came out). That and the limited resolution makes the Rift a clearly gen 1 product.
It's normal that such an innovative technology that it has some limitations, but I thought there was something wrong with my Rift for a while.

Not gonna try to make it seem like they don't exist but it honestly depends how you're wearing the HMD. I've gotten a sweetspot which doesn't have the godrays show up anymore at least for me.

sol740

I setup my headset last night (my touch controllers and 3rd sensor + extension cables from amazon deliver today) and I am simultaneously blown away by some aspects, and mildly disappointed in others.

On the positive side from the jump I felt "presence" while standing and being dropped into that scene with the little alien guy talking to you and standing right in front of you. In comparison to the Cardboard experiences I've tried previously, well there isn't a comparison, the tracking feels natural, and I thought I could reach out and grab the little dude. That's not even quite right, I had a compelling urge to reach out and try to touch him. Eve Valkyrie was a bit nauseating while doing barrel rolls, but the launch sequence was amazing, even if the actual gameplay felt stiff to me. Lastly, my son and I were super impressed with Lucky's Tale, even if the gameplay is relatively generic-platformer copypasta, being able to look around as if these tiny 3d animals are hopping around right in front of you was cheerily glee inducing. I can't wait for my daughter to try it, because cutesy animals are one of her central interests.

On the not so positive I immediately noticed an odd "film" over everything, what I have read is referred to as "dirty window effect". This is either common enough to just have to deal with, an HDMI issue where it's not sending full RGB, a bad unit, or even a driver/software issue, I will attempt to do the known fixes this evening after I get my touch/roomscale setup tonight. The cable is irritatingly distracting, and not nearly long enough, and I was almost exclusively sitting, and while the screen door effect is certainly improved from the DK unit I used at a conference, it is still noticeable enough to pull me out of "that feel" when I find myself focusing on it.

So far it's a mixed bag for me, and I'm balancing on the edge of satisfied or underwhelmed, but I have a feeling that doing the roomscale/touch games this evening will soundly push me well into the satisfied territory especially for the price, which once I add the touch controllers, extra sensor, usb hub, and main unit came out to roughly 490 beans, plus I'll likely need an extension for the HMD so let's just call it 500. That's a lot for the money considering where this tech was a year ago.

Akoi

One thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the support for games like Fallout 4 VR/DOOM VFR/Skyrim VR. Since Bethesda doesn't seem to have a good relationship with the Rift.

I want those games.

Blam

I setup my headset last night (my touch controllers and 3rd sensor + extension cables from amazon deliver today) and I am simultaneously blown away by some aspects, and mildly disappointed in others.

On the positive side from the jump I felt "presence" while standing and being dropped into that scene with the little alien guy talking to you and standing right in front of you. In comparison to the Cardboard experiences I've tried previously, well there isn't a comparison, the tracking feels natural, and I thought I could reach out and grab the little dude. That's not even quite right, I had a compelling urge to reach out and try to touch him. Eve Valkyrie was a bit nauseating while doing barrel rolls, but the launch sequence was amazing, even if the actual gameplay felt stiff to me. Lastly, my son and I were super impressed with Lucky's Tale, even if the gameplay is relatively generic-platformer copypasta, being able to look around as if these tiny 3d animals are hopping around right in front of you was cheerily glee inducing. I can't wait for my daughter to try it, because cutesy animals are one of her central interests.

On the not so positive I immediately noticed an odd "film" over everything, what I have read is referred to as "dirty window effect". This is either common enough to just have to deal with, an HDMI issue where it's not sending full RGB, a bad unit, or even a driver/software issue, I will attempt to do the known fixes this evening after I get my touch/roomscale setup tonight. The cable is irritatingly distracting, and not nearly long enough, and I was almost exclusively sitting, and while the screen door effect is certainly improved from the DK unit I used at a conference, it is still noticeable enough to pull me out of "that feel" when I find myself focusing on it.

So far it's a mixed bag for me, and I'm balancing on the edge of satisfied or underwhelmed, but I have a feeling that doing the roomscale/touch games this evening will soundly push me well into the satisfied territory especially for the price, which once I add the touch controllers, extra sensor, usb hub, and main unit came out to roughly 490 beans, plus I'll likely need an extension for the HMD so let's just call it 500. That's a lot for the money considering where this tech was a year ago.

Yeah I completely understand what you mean. I believe the "dirty window effect" is the godrays you're talking about. There's a sweetspot you can get on the headset at least what I've found which negates it pretty heavily. Don't forget that they want the back of the strap on the headset to be pretty far down the back of your head.

One thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the support for games like Fallout 4 VR/DOOM VFR/Skyrim VR. Since Bethesda doesn't seem to have a good relationship with the Rift.

I want those games.

There's not much they are really doing with those games. It's just a bit farther then what vorpx is already able to do. Seriously it's not that much different. You still have locomotion on Fallout and Skyrim. Doom VFR is the only one which I think has a warp styled system in place to keep you from falling over.

Personally I think the SkyrimVR, and Fallout VR are gonna be pretty shoddy ports.

I just noticed you don't have the touch controllers, you know you can actually reach out and pet Lucky on Lucky's Tale and he reacts.

Trust me the Controllers make a world of difference compared to just the HMD. It brings so much more presence to your actions.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

I think most rift owners have gotten used to it and a lot the newer games have made adjustments. Certain scenes will highlight the effect more than others so devs have been taking this into account. I honestly completely forgot about them until they started being discussed again.

Listonosh

Any help appreciated.

I'm someone who only had PSVR until the Rift Promo and the difference in controllers is huge. I never really minded the Move controllers UNTIL I played with Oculus Touch. Going back to Move now seems completely archaic.

Also, having played both versions of SUPERHOT VR for instance, the Oculus version is far superior. Not only does it look better despite its simplistic art style, but the tracking is superior and the touch controllers give you a much better grasp of your action, and make you a lot more accurate, which in a game like that, is super important.

As for Vive vs Oculus, so far I haven't really seen anything Vive exclusive that has me wishing it was for Oculus. On the other hand, Oculus has some amazing exclusives themselves like Mage's Tale and Lone Echo.

If anything, it's worth trying it out, and I believe most places have a two week return policy, so if you end up not liking it, you can always just send it back.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

I want those games.

I have no doubt the rift will run those games even if it doesn't use the oculus sdk. One, they'll be using openvr which supports the rift so they'll have to do some deliberate coding to actively attempt to block it. Two, no type of hardware block has ever worked. The two times it was attempted in VR (once by oculus and the other by google) it was hacked in less than a day. Three, crossvr the developer of revive will make sure it works with the rift ;-)

I want those games.

apparently everyone is under the impression they will work with Rift....and if not, someone will make it work. so nothing to worry about in that regard

VR without hand presence is fairly underwhelming. You need to get the touch controllers hooked up to give it a fair shake.

VR without hand presence is fairly underwhelming. You need to get the touch controllers hooked up to give it a fair shake.

this is truth. hand presence is everything in VR. Vr with Controller is only good for something like.....racing games/flight games, and maybe an RPG.

other than that though....hand presence helps fully define VR to what it is.

I know this thread is more active, but it is a thread about the $399 price of the Rift. Everything else like that would be handled in the Oculus Rift OT.

Of course, the OP for that hasn't been updated since 1 month after it was posted - which means it hasn't been updated in 6+ months.

Blam

Motion controls in VR are actually good. Non-VR motion controls are shit.

I mean motion controls without VR are useless since you always need to be facing the screen. Since VR doesn't have that problem you've got a free range of motion.

Theonik

I mean motion controls without VR are useless since you always need to be facing the screen. Since VR doesn't have that problem you've got a free range of motion.
You also lack presence/context. What makes motion controls work in VR is you are interacting with the space around you rather than gesturing at a screen.
Depth perception is kind of a big deal. Like if you had the space, something like a Vive ping pong game would be amazing, better than the PS Move and Wii versions which were OK but lacked in movement.

sol740

I agree, just giving my initial impressions as they come, I would have been quite disappointed had I purchased at launch.

I assumed Elite Dangerous would be my go-to for seated non-touch VR, but I am having serious setup and control issues with my X55, and just the menus and ship operation in general. Since that's not really specifically related to the Oculus exclusively, I left it out in my other post, I'm sure there's some setup/checklist and learning curve I will need to adjust to, to play such a game, without being able to freely look down at my keyboard/HOTAS as I did often before.

Blam

I agree, just giving my initial impressions as they come, I would have been quite disappointed had I purchased at launch.

I assumed Elite Dangerous would be my go-to for seated non-touch VR, but I am having serious setup and control issues with my X55, and just the menus and ship operation in general. Since that's not really specifically related to the Oculus exclusively, I left it out in my other post, I'm sure there's some setup/checklist and learning curve I will need to adjust to, to play such a game, without being able to freely look down at my keyboard/HOTAS as I did often before.

Yup it's most definitely something you'll need to get adjusted to.

You also lack presence/context. What makes motion controls work in VR is you are interacting with the space around you rather than gesturing at a screen.
Depth perception is kind of a big deal. Like if you had the space, something like a Vive ping pong game would be amazing, better than the PS Move and Wii versions which were OK but lacked in movement.

Yeah that's true it's less gestures and more interaction you'd get from a Wii or just a set of Moves. Shit a Vive Ping Pong game would be amazing.

ROCKSTAR WHERES MY VR PINGPONG.

Chanser

Yeah like that, but it can be reduced by putting on headset properly. The rays are still there though.

Same I thought there was something wrong with mine.

HyGogg

Banned

Yes, it's a pretty big step up. I like the PSVR, I think it's a good product, but the seriously limited tracking imposes a lot of constraints on the games you can play with it.

If you set Rift up for Room-scale/360, it's very freeing. The hand-presence is way better than PSVR, too.

Plus games. A lot of the best VR games are Oculus/PC exclusive. Robo Recall and Lone Echo are very very good. Wilson's Heart is must-play too.

Rift is theoretically compatible with all Vive games. In reality, a handful don't work, but nothing you'd care about.

Vive does have better tracking if you have a very large play space (like bigger than 11'x11'), but they're pretty equivalent products overall.

I'll be using mine almost exclusively for sim racing so I'll treat any God rays as a bonus PP effect.
It's not something you ever really notice in-game. It's just high-contrast logos and menus where it really stands out.

Frankly, I never thought twice about it, but clearly it irks some people.

hoserx

Of course, the OP for that hasn't been updated since 1 month after it was posted - which means it hasn't been updated in 6+ months.

Maybe there should be an "Oculus Rift: We're here, now what?" type of thread for late adopters who bought their Rifts during this surge.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

This is a good point. Talking about initial impressions and setup stuff here is generally ok and understandable for new users, but a lot of the more in-depth game/usage discussion should probably move over to the primary Oculus thread if possible. We'll likely close this particular thread once the sale prices end after all.

This is a good point. Talking about initial impressions and setup stuff here is generally ok and understandable for new users, but a lot of the more in-depth game/usage discussion should probably move over to the primary Oculus thread if possible. We'll likely close this particular thread once the sale prices end after all.

We've also got a PC VR game discussion thread since most VR games can be played on both Rift and Vive headsets so splitting the discussion seems kinda pointless.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109

Yeah as it stands we have the thread for all 3 headsets (High End VR I believe it was called) , a vive thread, a rift thread, and this one, and the PCVR thread.

well, the dominant one will last

having a seperate rift and oculus thread makes sense tho when it comes to talking to hardware related things specific to those platforms. and the pcvr thread makes sense for the software. we can live in a world where they coexist!

vermadas

The user base has been small for this, and typically people don't look at the OP again a few days after a thread has been created. I was thinking about revamping it with the influx of new users, and will definitely do so with enough demand. With the current division of threads, it would be a bit easier not having to worry about games.

Some have posted links, but just to consolidate and make it easier for people:
Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more - Use this thread for discussion on Oculus hardware, Oculus specific software and tools (not "exclusive" games)
PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls - Discussion of all PC VR games
SteamVR Thread: Virtually a |Thread 2| - Discussion on Vive hardware, SteamVR specific software, and any upcoming headsets that use SteamVR
The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR) - Discussion of broader VR technology related topics that relate to current and future higher end (read: non-[modern]mobile, positionally tracked) hardware.
VR Deal Hunters |Thread| Post Em If You Got Em - This one is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom