• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fortnite. No Pro support, mid-20s, improper frame-pacing... Better on Xbox One!

Digital Foundry: Epic's Fortnite on UE4 plays better on Xbox One
An Unreal improvement over PS4?

PS4
-1080p
-sustained drops in performance to the mid-20s
-improper frame-pacing
-occasional stutter with 100ms frame-time spikes

PS4 Pro
-1080p
-sticks more closely to its target 30fps frame-rate
-improper frame-pacing
-occasional 100ms stutter still kicks in

Xbox One
-900p
-perfectly implemented 33ms frame-pacing
-performance level that's very close to the PS4 Pro release overall
-these 100ms spikes also happen on xbox one

And performance really is the key differentiator between the console versions of Fortnite, and where Xbox One offers up a palpable advantage, to the point where we'd rank the experience as a clear improvement over PS4 and more refined than PS4 Pro, even. In terms of the console releases, there's a clear ranking in terms of how smoothly the Fortnite experience plays out.

Wait a minute:

This week sees the early access launch of Fortnite on PlayStation 4 – a brand new ‘action builder’ that brings together base-building, class-based tactics and good old-fashioned co-op shooting. As with Epic’s prior release, Paragon, PS4 Pro owners can look forward to a range of visual upgrades.

While the game renders at a native 1080p, the team have poured the extra power of PS4 Pro into dialling up the bells and whistles for a greatly improved overall visual presentation.

Scene lighting gets a huge boost with the inclusion of light shafts, screen-space subsurface scattering and a four-fold increase in volumetric lighting resolution. All in all, this delivers a far more refined and natural simulation of real-world lighting, backed up by a higher quality ambient occlusion (which creates more realistic shading around objects and characters) and higher quality reflections across the scene thanks to a sampling boost in screen space reflections.

Visual effects also see an improvement, with spawn rate for particles being doubled to create fuller, more impressive ballistic effects that also benefit from interaction with scene lighting, making their appearance more natural within the environment.

All of this is important too, as – owing to 25% increase in draw distance – there’ll be more objects visible from greater distances and more detail to take in.

Last, but certainly not least, all of these excellent refinements are bolstered by a performance boost throughout, giving a more consistent overall gameplay experience.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...pyre-and-shadow-tactics-analysed/#sf100676355

HonMirin

... So what's this down to? Unreal works better on Xbox? Lack of polish on PS4?

Xbox appears to be stepping up in its final polishing these days. Perhaps the tools are maturing to be more programmer friendly. Whatever it is, good for them!

Here we again. Yes performance gains due to image hit. The real performance comparison should be a native 1080p Xbox one vs native 1080p ps4. XBOX would probably have more frequent frame drops.

DF at it again.

Not Drake

DF at it again.

PS4 versions are rendered at higher resolution than Xbox. Xbox version runs better than PS4 versions. DF noted both.

What's wrong with factual reporting? Come on.

I'm not interested in the game, but it's a shame PS4 versions are poor. Especially considering how Paragon looks and runs. Also for the love of god Epic fucking up a UE4 game is next level embarassing.

Guymelef

What would you expect from DF? lol

I'm saving this quote.
"while Xbox One lowers the pixel-count to the anticipated 900p. The end result is a little more softness on the Microsoft console, but it's only really apparent on more distant detail in head-to-head comparisons."

Well this is a game you want to give a pass anyway. It suffers from all the typical early access issues, performance being just one of them.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'd rather play the Xbox version with the better frame-pacing.

Obviously, but the game will receive numerous updates as it is in early access. It's an unfinished state.

That's why it's kinda premature to do these comparisons. This week's build of the game is certainly a bit better on the XB1. In a few weeks it could be the other way around.

Here we again. Yes performance gains due to image hit. The real performance comparison should be a native 1080p Xbox one vs native 1080p ps4. XBOX would probably have more frequent frame drops.

DF at it again.
The frame pacing is a more common theme though, regardless of resolution, where a game is hitting constant 30 on both xb1 and PS4 it's the PS4 version that usually has frame pacing issues, FF15 for example.

oti

Banned
Obviously, but the game will receive numerous updates as it is in early access. It's an unfinished state.

That's why it's kinda premature to do these comparisons. This week's build of the game is certainly a bit better on the XB1. In a few weeks it could be the other way around.

I don't know. If one has both PS4 and Xbox One and wants to play this game right now, why not offer a comparison right now?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't know. If one has both PS4 and Xbox One and wants to play this game right now, why not offer a comparison right now?

Because it's a moving target and the comparison could mean absolutely nothing when the next patch arrives?
I mean, that was kind of obvious. Early access games change a ton over time. Performance included.

Hasney

Because it's a moving target and the comparison could mean absolutely nothing when the next patch arrives?
I mean, that was kind of obvious. Early access games change a ton over time. Performance included.

Cool. Best to save people dropping $40 on it now andthey can check in later then.

Not Drake

To be fair this applies to most games released these days. With strict deadlines and the way games are released onto the market and the ease of fixing stuff at the same time the line between the so called "early access" and the proper release is blurring.

oti

Banned

That's obvious. Doesn't change the fact that some people want to buy the game right now, so they need a comparison right now. Nothing wrong with that. They can update their comparison once an update improves performance.

Gattsu25

Banned
Lies. Early Access title. PlayStation version is not fully patched. Pro support is coming soon.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ro-fortnite-pyre-and-shadow-tactics-analysed/

This info was in the public domain even before Digital Foundry published their video. Sloppy on their part.

Premature posting

Wait, so Fortnight isn't available to play yet on PS4?

DF's role isn't to wait until all future patches are available weeks/months down the line. Their role is to analyze how a game performs in a state that customers will be able to experience.

Maybe Epic should have held back the PS4 version until they patched it, or maybe they should have dropped the resolution to 900p to match XB One, but I don't fault DF for even one second for analyzing this game in its current form.

In this case, they're serving people that own multiple system and want to know where they should start their downloads, not Sony's or Epic's PR departments.

Wait so, Epic announced pro support is on the way yesterday via the ps blog so DF decide to release a face off today?

That Microsoft money from the Xbox one x reveal is putting in work it seems....

Or maybe a coincidence?

I'll go with the former....

Paragon is a fantastic game on PS4 Pro. I have no doubt that Fortnite will get there once they get a few updates under their belt.

Top Bottom