• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Fortnite. No Pro support, mid-20s, improper frame-pacing... Better on Xbox One!

Gattsu25

Banned
Wait so, Epic announced pro support is on the way yesterday via the ps blog so DF decide to release a face off today?

That Microsoft money from the Xbox one x reveal is putting in work it seems....

Or maybe a coincidence?

I'll go with the former....
Why is it DF's responsibility to wait for an upcoming patch instead of comparing what customers can experience today? DF is not Sony PR. Maybe they should have held back the PS4 early access until this patch was available.
Blaming DF instead of the developers.. what?

Also, what people expect from a patch from an Early Access game?
Agreed on the first. Early access is weird. Some games have even completely changed game engines while in early access (RUST) though I'm obviously not expecting anything that dramatic in this game's case.

I sense meltdowns about to happen lol

Is this the same fortnite I feel like I seen a trailer for years ago?

Yep, same game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People's shitting on DF in this topic .. jesus guys ...

They're a tech analysis website, they analyzed the available code. It's gonna get patched like most online games do, that's besides the point. I'm sure they'll do a follow up analysis when the game's out of early access too.

th4tguy

Paragon was released as early access too using same engine with none of these issues. Wonder why they pushed it out in this state.

oti

Banned
Here we again. Yes performance gains due to image hit. The real performance comparison should be a native 1080p Xbox one vs native 1080p ps4. XBOX would probably have more frequent frame drops.

DF at it again.

They compare the game in the state it's being sold. What you're saying is nonsense.

LKSmash

Wait so, Epic announced pro support is on the way yesterday via the ps blog so DF decide to release a face off today?

Or maybe a coincidence?

Yeah man. You nailed it. MS is so desperate for good press they paid DF to show everyone Fortnite runs better on their console. Cancel all the PS4s cuz MS has won it all now. STFU

Listonosh

Last, but certainly not least, all of these excellent refinements are bolstered by a performance boost throughout, giving a more consistent overall gameplay experience.

Does this sentence hint at a better framerate, or does that not seem to be their focus? I honestly don't mind the 30fps that much, but obviously, 60 would be preferred.

Kilau

The performance is what it is. It will at least be interesting to see how things evolve from here.

Synth

It was apparently too early to judge ARK Survival Evolved's performance whilst in Early Access also. Would have been better to wait until they said it's done, and just let everyone blindly put their money down meanwhile...

Or maybe a coincidence?

Are you suggesting that DF saw the blog post yesterday and scrambled to benchmark all three platforms and have the article ready to go today?

Cornbread78

Oh hey, lets see how..... *reads posts*

Mwd7w.gif

Here we again. Yes performance gains due to image hit. The real performance comparison should be a native 1080p Xbox one vs native 1080p ps4. XBOX would probably have more frequent frame drops.

DF at it again.
But... the developers didn't make it 1080p on Xbox One. How can you compare that?

Or maybe a coincidence?

Or you know... they already made the content and are just publishing it is planned based on the version that is now available?

This game has been in development for how long? Unreal has been up and running on PS4 for how long? Epic have put out other games on PS4 (Paragon) and they didn't have these issues??
This is inexcusable for a game that costs $40. I don't care if it's "early access" or not, if I'm spending $40 (or more) on a console game, it should work. Especially from the studio that also makes the engine.

This game has been in development for how long? Unreal has been up and running on PS4 for how long? Epic have put out other games on PS4 (Paragon) and they didn't have these issues??
This is inexcusable for a game that costs $40. I don't care if it's "early access" or not, if I'm spending $40 (or more) on a console game, it should work. Especially from the studio that also makes the engine.
How can you not care if it's early access or not? That's the main point here. Optimization comes in later. If you can't deal with the performance, don't buy it. Hell, wait for it to come out next year when it's free.

Or maybe a coincidence?

This is a serious post isn't it?

Hahahahaha

Colbert

Banned
The differences in frame rate stability and frame pacing seem to point on a issue with the different CPU clocks and CPU implementation in the consoles, if I had to guess. I assume to fix it on PS4 it would require to offload some of the CPU tasks to GPU Compute if possible or optimizing the code running on the CPUs.

Bsigg12

Why are people going after Digital Foundry for testing what is available now to the public?

Sure Epic announced upcoming support for the Pro but it's not what you get when you buy into the game right now or at the time they did their testing.

glaurung

It's fairly weird since this is an UE4 vehicle and the other such vehicle, Paragon, is a stellar showcase on PS4 Pro. I wonder if they simply haven't bothered with any Pro enhancements yet.

However, as for the game itself... Color me unimpressed. It's building mechanics are quite timid and kind of 2007, the graphics are nice, but nothing to write home about. The wave-based enemy system and AI is just bad. And then you have 100,000,000,000 sets of microtransactions up the wazoo. Fuck that.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

DF at it again.

This shit's funny.

What you're asking isn't even fucking possible.

I have no doubt, in the end the PS4 version should run better... it's stronger hardware. Instead of attacking DF you blame the developer for a shit build.

JoeLT

Really hoping they add a dynamic resolution to Xbox One like in Gears 4. Would do wonders, has there been any talks about Cross Play in this one?

Top Bottom