• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Deception Errors [Comic: Chapter 16 - Complete]

There are shots of Kai Leng in like the very first Game Informer reveal.

Deception goes really out of its way to show Kai Leng killing lots and lots of innocent people to really trump him up to be an antagonist the player "wants to kill" in Mass Effect 3.

Then cereal happens, and the rest is history.

that picture of him eating cereal is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. I laugh at random times of the day just thinking about it

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can't stop my anti-art agenda. But yeah I'm going to avoid this thread from now on. Wish the whole thing could just get moved to reddit though, that's where it belongs.

Thanks for letting us all know that you're leaving the thread instead of just not posting in it. Quality stuff.

Jhoan

that picture of him eating cereal is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen. I laugh at random times of the day just thinking about it

So do I; the absurdity of it still gets to me.

I went to Barnes and Noble earlier just to read that particular passage (pg. 64 I think) and it was described differently than LumpofCole's rage comic. While it wasn't as funny as his comic, it made me chuckle because of the tone it was written in; very happy.

IIRC, the way it's described in the book, it sounds like Kai Leng is having the time of his life after placing the hearing devices. He reaches into the cupboard and eats his lovely cereal. It reminded me of the Seinfeld where Elaine eats Mr.Peterman's cake and dances with it. It's definitely the weirdest passage I've read in a book based on a video game. And the cane description was pretty funny.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just wanted to say I'm loving the comics, can't believe anyone would put them down, and am loving this thread. Im so glad the amazon reviews made me 2nd guess buying the book as I truly enjoyed the first 3.

I have very little hope left that 3 will be any good, at least story wise. Bioware has obviously gave up on caring about the series in terms of plot. To those of you at Bioware in charge of this, shame on you, you failed at your jobs and failed your fan base. Between that, all the retcon, Dragon Age 2 and how Star Wars TOR is turning out, you've truly turned into a miserable shadow of your former selves.

Amir0x

Banned
Is the book really like those hilarious comic? I'd never read a videogame novel but my god that is so funny i might just have to read a little slice of it to see for myself how bad it is

Chapter 06

Q0va5.jpg

Mindlog

Is the book really like those hilarious comic? I'd never read a videogame novel but my god that is so funny i might just have to read a little slice of it to see for myself how bad it is
The extensive Google Books preview is available, here.

The book is not exactly like the comic. It's not as well written.

Sober

There was a line about her covering up her breasts when the volus walked in, and I just imagined her face being in a stuck state of "Yeah, Anderson boned me."
Wow, was there some requirement to pad the book so much? I don't get the point of writing about them having sex on a ship on the way to Omega, but then again the rage comic version made me almost spit out my drink at that point, so I guess it was worth it.

Wow, was there some requirement to pad the book so much? I don't get the point of writing about them having sex on a ship on the way to Omega, but then again the rage comic version made me almost spit out my drink at that point, so I guess it was worth it.

Reading the book, some passages read like they were cut to the bone while others are fleshed out way too much for unknown reasons.

I was in the middle of reading these books to get hyped for ME3, but finding out how badly this one was handled is actually keeping me from wanting to finish the 3rd book. I knew it was fan fiction, but still this is sad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thing is kind of hilarious to me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You guys haven't even seen bad until you read how Dietz has described Omega.

"Omega was filled with lush forests and wonderful snowy mountains in the distance. The peaceful citizens of Omega greets any tourists and visitors with smiles and free gifts."

Something like that?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wish someone would type the cereal excerpt here, I was reading random bits of the novel's preview and it's hilarious when you get to parts that are exactly the same as the comics, even down to the text (like the first chapter ending with "life was good").

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I want scenes in Mass Effect 3 involving Kai Leng to be shopped with Kai Leng eating cereal.

"Omega was filled with lush forests and wonderful snowy mountains in the distance. The peaceful citizens of Omega greets any tourists and visitors with smiles and free gifts."

Something like that?

Dietz described Thessia pretty much exactly like that, actually - basically like Earth 2 with some odd shaped Asari structures. Omega is a much different beast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This comic is literally, and I mean literally, the only redeeming thing to come out of this book.

It's funny, and baffling. Like, people can argue all they like that all video game novels are junk. That even at their best they're a laughable excuse for a book. But, you know, some people enjoy it. They like the slosh if it reads well enough, but most importantly stays true to the lore and offers more insight into the universe they love. It's gluttonous consumption of useless information, but hey, as long as they're enjoying it right?

Deception has no redeeming qualities of any kind. It's so badly written that it's difficult to get through a chapter without shaking your head in disbelief at the vague phrasing and disjointed narrative. On top of that it's completely, utterly inaccurate to the game's universe and lore. The prologue has numerous inaccuracies on the first page. The first paragraph.

Who the hell is this book supposed to appeal to, except for masochists like me!

Patryn

I was in the middle of reading these books to get hyped for ME3, but finding out how badly this one was handled is actually keeping me from wanting to finish the 3rd book. I knew it was fan fiction, but still this is sad.

It's not fan fiction when it's clear that the author knows very little to nothing about the property, much less is a fan of it.

They had a lot of sex and even missed the mass relay jump

Wait wait ...is that even possible ?? How the hell can you miss a mass relay jump ? furthermore the one at omega ?
did that really happen ? it's just ..wow

It's not fan fiction when it's clear that the author knows very little to nothing about the property, much less is a fan of it.

Reading the book and especially the Citadel parts, one can almost tell that Dietz played the first game up to the Citadel part and just stopped there. He namedrops Flux and Chora's Den in succession as if to be impressive, and everything goes off the rails then trying to go into any further details about the universe. This isn't even counting that Chora's Den should be closed in this book's time period.

What I would give to know Dietz's gamertag to prove my suspicions.

Top Bottom