• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been labeled unattractive only to end up a stud later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best friend went from looking like a less attractive first year harry potter (complete with a surgical scar on his forehead from where he had a birthmark removed) to being the best looking guy in any of my social circles.

For me, I went from hideously unattractive in highschool to just kind of "ehhh" now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Well in my case I'm a bit short (last I checked I was 5'8-5'9 or so)

I have been turned down by girls because, literally, they have told me I'm too short, even ones who I am taller than

Not really a big issue as you can just go to the next one but it is annoying, especially since most of my friends or 6' - 6'7, so if I'm at a party or something I look especially short
I've had girls look at me strange because I'm short all the time. I've had them look at me funny for wearing flip flops to a steak house, knowing how to read while black, and for not being able to drive a stick too. Its only an issue if you confirm it as such. Hell, I played ball for years and I was always the shortest guy in the crowd - I didn't even know it was supposed to be a big deal at all.

Onemic

270 at max (6'0)

dropped to 185 last year

back to 230 :(((((

Have to start hitting the gym again to get my sexy back. Everyone wants a piece o dat sexy flab doe.

Moppet13

Dear god Gaf has some skinny people. I'm like 5'10 and I weigh like 140, I've been trying to gain weight because I felt too skinny. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

I've had girls look at me strange because I'm short all the time. I've had them look at me funny for wearing flip flops to a steak house, knowing how to read while black, and for not being able to drive a stick too. Its only an issue if you confirm it as such. Hell, I played ball for years and I was always the shortest guy in the crowd - I didn't even know it was supposed to be a big deal at all.
Yeah I didn't even know it meant anything until some random chick said something in my junior year of HS

Again though its more of an annoyance for me than anything

Red

Dear god Gaf has some skinny people. I'm like 5'10 and I weigh like 140, I've been trying to gain weight because I felt too skinny. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.
Yeah seriously. My definition of "stud" isn't entirely positive, but it definitely doesn't include 5'6" 130lb dudes. You can still be attractive without being a "stud," which I view as kind of an idealized physical description (tall, muscular, like a good breeding horse), disregarding all other aspects of a person. I guess others have a different definition of the word.

I am 6'1" and 180lbs myself, and would like to get up to 200-210.

Alucrid

Banned

wearing flip flops is an issue bro

Well in my case I'm a bit short (last I checked I was 5'8-5'9 or so)

I have been turned down by girls because, literally, they have told me I'm too short, even ones who I am a lot taller than

Not really a big issue as you can just go to the next one but it is annoying, especially since most of my friends or 6' - 6'7, so if I'm at a party or something I look especially short

Most annoying part though is you can't work on it. You can lose weight, get in shape, dress better, but you can't grow taller, its out of your control

That's not short at all, pretty much average/above average height, (unless you live in some parts of Europe). If a girl's gonna turn you down because your not 2-3 inches taller, they're not worth it.

DY_nasty

Yeah I didn't even know it meant anything until some random chick said something in my junior year of HS

Again though its more of an annoyance for me than anything

Best thing that ever happened to me was never really knowing how I looked or where I stood on the 1-10 scale to begin with. I've had girls say that I was gorgeous and their twin sister say that I'm fugly over the same dinner table.

Just realized that I wasn't meant to ever give a fuck.
To a steakhouse though? C'mon son.
If you're not paying, then do you really want to complain? Some people do, some don't.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I told people in high school to refer to me as the unibomber and i walked around with a hoodie and aviators. Sometimes I'd be walking down the halls and throw my books and anything i had in my hands everywhere and pretend to have a grand mal seizure, then get up and casually pick my stuff up and walk to class like nothing happened. Women didn't really want to get with the guy who laid on the ground in the center of the lunchroom while his friend stood over him and spit chewed up beans into his mouth from above, despite being a super athlete. Probably didn't help that I had one of if not the worst cases of acne in a school of 1200+ people.

Now I'm so fucking sexy it's mindblowing.

Red

To a steakhouse though? C'mon son.
If I am outside, and not at work, chances are I'm in flip flops. I don't do it on purpose, it's just habit now I guess and I do it instinctively for convenience. I have to remind myself to put on boots if I'm doing work outside, and that's after having scars on my feet from preventable accidents. Got a nice one last year after tripping over a power washer and having it slice a chunk clean off.

But that all kind of does add up to serious problems I guess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When I slimmed down to 205 from 245 I was a boss motherfucker.

Now I'm fat again. Feels bad. Need to move my ass around.

soultron

Banned
If you're not paying, then do you really want to complain? Some people do, some don't.

I'd make fun of my friends if they decided to wear flip flips to a fancy steakhouse. Even if they wore running shoes.

If you're paying $50 a plate, whatever's on your feet should probably be expensive too.

I'm talking like, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here, not Outback or Lonestar.

Alucrid

Banned
Best thing that ever happened to me was never really knowing how I looked or where I stood on the 1-10 scale to begin with. I've had girls say that I was gorgeous and their twin sister say that I'm fugly over the same dinner table.

Just realized that I wasn't meant to ever give a fuck.

i bet you wear socks too

I was never "unattractive" per se, just labeled cute, which while being a positive identifier wasn't really what I was hoping to be seen as by the ladies. A large helping of acne and shyness didn't help matters. Then around 20-21 I started dressing a little better, upped my socialization and became more aware of my diet and exercise habits. I run and bike a ton, do a lot of manual labor around my house and keep active enough to minimize time spent on my ass, which is the body part for which I am most praised, amusingly enough.

Now I can't go a day or two without a girl flirting with me at work or school. Life is good.

Red

I'd make fun of my friends if they decided to wear flip flips to a fancy steakhouse. Even if they wore running shoes.

If you're paying $50 a plate, whatever's on your feet should probably be expensive too.

If you saw me walk into a steak house with flip flops, would you make fun of me? Dressed to the nines with everything else, but wearing flip flops?

I don't know for sure if I'd do that. Might opt for loafers if going to a fancier place. But if I didn't, would you really pass judgment?

DY_nasty

Yeah. There was this amazing steakhouse in uptown Charlotte that I always wanted to go to. This girl from school wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch, and... ugh. Shit gets old, ya know? And I was about to go to practice later anyways - why get changed? I wanted good steak, and I tip heavy.

soultron

Banned
If you saw me walk into a steak house with flip flops, would you make fun of me? Dressed to the nines with everything else, but wearing flip flops?

I don't know for sure if I'd do that. Might opt for loafers if going to a fancier place. But if I didn't, would you really pass judgment?

I don't know if the dress code of a fancier place would even let you through the doors.

Look, flip flops are fine. I think there's a time and a place for them, just not in an upclass steakhouse.

Yeah. There was this amazing steakhouse in uptown Charlotte that I always wanted to go to. This girl from school wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch, and... ugh. Shit gets old, ya know? And I was about to go to practice later anyways - why get changed? I wanted good steak, and I tip heavy.

You should've made fun of her for wanting to go to CFA...

ITT: I'm an asshole.

Steelrain

Once I turned 18 I started caring about my appearance.

Fresh Haircut, keeping facial hair in check, and settling into my own fashion rather than chasing the new hot piece of gear (J's, name brand stuff) helped to bring out my natural confidence.

When I was in high school, I had an image problem. I presented myself in a way that clashed with my personality and it's always unsettling to see people do that.

Once I took care of that, my success with the opposite sex increased ten-fold. It's all about the presentation.

jaxword

I've been slowly moving myself to "stud" status over the year.

Left pics - June, 2011, 210 pounds.
Right pics - April 2012, 202 pounds.

swords2h8k8k.jpg

Nope. But in Elementary school, I was picked on for being smart. Nothing actually physical, just insults. By the end, though, people were much nicer.

Then came Middle school. I was pretty socially awkward, and I don't know if anyone there liked me or anything. I never heard anything, anyways.

Then HS. Still socially awkward, but still heard nothing. There was a summer program that I went to... when I started being more sociable, it helped, but the hottest chicks there treated me more like... a kid brother, I guess? They put hats on me and took pictures, lol.

Later in HS, I reverted back from what I learned. Still pretty awkward, but later I learned a few lessons. My friends said that I had more swag than they thought :) But I still didn't get any of the girls I wanted. Probably my fault. But again, never heard anything about being attractive... well, I had one friend who thought I was more attractive than him, but he's the same guy who threw away numbers from some random chicks in a shop and his prom date came to him. I didn't go to prom, but that was by choice. I never asked anyone. Besides, one of the people I wanted to go with... well, that's another story.

Now college. Still haven't heard much of anything. Though there were a couple of guys who called me ugly. In one case, the dude's an asshole (and can't judge guys anyways), in the other I was drunk and my eyes were bleeding red because of my contacts. So understandable, I guess.

But no, I've never seen myself as attractive, but I don't think I'm (very) ugly, either. Girls haven't ran away from me. Maybe I'm just not the type... I usually show interest in white girls, anyways.

Simple answer is no.

Growing up...well, I prefer telling that tale in person, haha.

When I dropped out of college to work on GAF full-time, sedentary work at home living didn't combine too well with pizza delivery and drinking juice and soda and beer all the time, and I very quickly ballooned up to a high of 300 pounds in 2009. That wasn't so hot, and I became a mountain hermit from 08-09 or so, barely interacting with people in the outside world at all. In the summer of 2009 I realized what the hell had happened when I no longer recognized myself in the mirror and could barely get up a flight of stairs, stopped deluding myself, and read up extensively on nutrition and fitness and turned it all the way around. Looking back, I don't even have photos from my max, but even at around 260 I'm completely horrified by how I looked. If I ever need a dose of adrenaline I need only look at one of those photos.

6'3 185 lbs right now, active and reasonable lifestyle so I can basically do whatever I want and not worry about it anymore, and more handsome than I've ever been, if I may :D

So first Gaf is the source of all evil, but then we find the weight loss thread/fitness threads and it becomes a force for good. :) And I hear you on the looking at old pictures and being horrified thing. A friend from Japan sent me photos from our 1st-2nd year together there and I can't unsee the angry moon (my much weightier face from before). Embarrassing stuff. Also, I can't imagine you at 300 at all. It just doesn't compute with all the choke outs I've seen you do. ;P

Eh, I was an ugly duckling from late elementary to early high school. Wouldn't call myself a studette now, but I feel a lot better about myself than I used to back then XD

I've met you, and I'd definitely call you a studette. :)

There might be a decently attractive person in me, but I just have no idea how to bring it out, or how to use it.

??? You looked totally fine at the meet ups, LT. Don't worry so much.

hxa155

i was fugly a year ago when I was 50lb overweight, now people say I'm good looking and I get compliments all the time

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I was a stud when I was born.

Unfortunately I got switched with another baby in the hospital.

Ikkarus

In my teens and early 20's I was a right tubby git (max weight I reached was 19.5 stone / 273 pounds). My confidence was non-existent and I just drifted through life at that time. It's going to sound like I am playing the sympathy card here (I'm not) but any girl I always liked I never got which didn't do my confidence any wonder.

Then one day (year and half ago now) my mum mentions she hardly has any photos of me except for when I was a kid. I basically never liked my photo being taken as it was reminded me of how ugly / fat I was, so when I told my mum this she basically broke down and that in turn really shocked me in to the fact she just wanted pictures of me to remind her of me, so I made a deal in my head that day that I will loose all of the excess weight so that I can feel like I can have a photo taken of me again.

Fast forward a year and a half and I have lost over 7.5 stone (105 pounds) and I feel great, the only issue is confidence wise I still feel like the large guy before but I'm sure in time I will gain more.

My high school crush rejected me. Then 3 years after high school I was meant to see her again, but I never went. My mate who was at that particular party heard her say "Greg is looking really good these days, if he hit on me, I would".

I also kinda have a female following on fb.

However I would never really rate myself that highly though, but it would kinda seem that way, so I can't be that bad.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So first Gaf is the source of all evil, but then we find the weight loss thread/fitness threads and it becomes a force for good. :) And I hear you on the looking at old pictures and being horrified thing. A friend from Japan sent me photos from our 1st-2nd year together there and I can't unsee the angry moon (my much weightier face from before). Embarrassing stuff. Also, I can't imagine you at 300 at all. It just doesn't compute with all the choke outs I've seen you do. ;P

Haha, it's hard to imagine you as the "angry moon," either, sheesh.

FORMER-FATTY CONVENTION!

formerfattyconvention.jpg

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I've been slowly moving myself to "stud" status over the year.

Left pics - June, 2011, 210 pounds.
Right pics - April 2012, 202 pounds.

swords2h8k8k.jpg

You may want to re-weight yourself without the sword, I am sure the missing 8 pounds is from the weapon change.

Ferrio

Banned
Nope. Even losing 100 lbs (though I've gained 30 of it back... thanks to the GF... fuck) I was never going to reach there. The damage was done, and going bald wasn't helping.

Al-ibn Kermit

I looked extremely weird as a kid, through all of elementary school and some of middle school. When puberty hit, the whole tall, dark, and handsome thing happened. Didn't even know it for a couple of years until I was in high school that girls might find me attractive.

Fast forward a year and a half and I have lost over 7.5 stone (105 pounds) and I feel great, the only issue is confidence wise I still feel like the large guy before but I'm sure in time I will gain more.

That's not exactly a bad thing, you just have to trust that you can work with the personality that you have. You probably already have the confidence boost from looking better, I'm guessing that you're just unsure how you are expected to act.

White Man

. . .and as long as fitness is even moderately in check, even most people I know that looked like weirdos as kids have ended up pretty decent looking after hitting their mid-to-late 20s. I think it's a combination of not being a young jackass, knowing how to dress well, and knowing and being more comfortable and confident with yourself. And knowing a decent haircut. It doesn't even have to be a 'good' quality haircut-- 'decent' is good enough what with how shitty most non-gay dudes look. Keep those hats on, uggos.

In conclusion, I think looking pretty decent is more of a younger or unhealthy person problem.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I feel like the old thread title fit the needs of the posters better. This thread feels alien to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom