• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Glad we got the guns debate in one last time before 2017. Met the quota. Let's argue about Nahiri being a villain or not next or maybe about how a super powerful Legacy-banned card would be fine in standard.
you think this is circular topics? Don't step foot into the Dragon ball super thread.

It makes perfect sense. Guns fill a mechanical role similar to a whole bunch of actual magical stuff and they have their own mythology in terms of how powerful and destructive they are that doesn't jibe well with fantasy settings. And then if you make them accurately shitty for really early guns people complain that they're bad.

we've been over this, it's their decision but it's neither reasonable nor is Magic still just using fantasy settings.

I mean we're literally in a set where it looks like people are using railguns.

zeemumu

It makes perfect sense. Guns fill a mechanical role similar to a whole bunch of actual magical stuff and they have their own mythology in terms of how powerful and destructive they are that doesn't jibe well with fantasy settings. And then if you make them accurately shitty for really early guns people complain that they're bad.
We have magic robots though.

Glad we got the guns debate in one last time before 2017. Met the quota. Let's argue about Nahiri being a villain or not next or maybe about how a super powerful Legacy-banned card would be fine in standard.
Mental Misstep is the hero that Standard needs. Gotta counter all those Thraben Inspectors.

Wait, no, one better. The best way to fix Standard is with a little bit of BALANCE.

(Balance wouldn't even hit Smuggler's Copter smh)

Drive to Work - Innistrad Showdown

MaRo compares the two Innistrad block mechanics. He howls a lot, which I think was to intentionally annoy his teenage daughter, who's often in the car when he records these.

Some interesting things are:
* Innistrad beats Shadows, but just barely. The former had a stronger start, but was brought down by fateful hour and Avacyn Restored.
* Despite the changes to madness to make it easier to understand, it didn't appear to have any effect on player confusion. Thus, it's unlikely to return.
* People were really confused by soulbond, so it's unlikely to return.
* Skulk was planned as an evergreen mechanic, but now it's unlikely to return even as a normal mechanic.
* Miracle had a very mixed reception, with some loving it and others absolutely hating it. MaRo likes it a lot.
* Miracle was planned to return in Shadows over Innistrad, but they decided not to do it. I'm guessing we would have seen black miracles.
* Investigate and meld were very popular, and are guaranteed to return.
* He seems pretty confident that emerge will return.
* He views escalate as a solid mechanic, but it wasn't the right one for Eldritch Moon. The flavor was a stretch and it didn't mechanically fit.

Ashodin

Vanilla and flashy mechanics are popular, who knew

Also miracles in black would've been awesome

I would have hooted and hollered about it.

... oh god.

If it makes you feel better, she seems to be pretty used to it. In one Drive to Work, she answered questions from Twitter, and one asked what's the most embarrassing thing her father did. She explained that she doesn't really get embarrassed anymore. She used to get embarrassed whenever MaRo would do a silly dance in front of her friends, but she eventually realized her friends were laughing at him and it didn't affect their views of her. This stuck out to me because MaRo seemed genuinely surprised at how mature she was about it.

As for soulbond, confusion comes from:
* Players not clearly indicating which creatures are bound. Yes, you can put them next to each other, but that doesn't help on a clogged board where everything is close together.
* It's easy to miss unpaired soulbond creatures already on the battlefield, which have the potential to bond with a new creature.

I imagine giving soulbond creatures a new frame would help a lot, along with an overlay card meant to indicate a bond.

Anyway, one other thing I forgot to mention.
* MaRo really likes the gameplay of delirium, but it proved to be much more confusing to players than they expected, making it unlikely to return.

Madness also suffers from an issue of eating up set space. If you have madness in a set, even if it's only in 3 colours(much like SoI), you've still got to have an Asfan in draft that has enough madness cards and enablers to have a mechanic function in limited. No one wants to have a deck with 4+ Madness cards and no way to get them out using it, as the difference between Fiery Temper cast regularly vs Madness is huge even in limited.

I mean, compare Madness to the other mechanics in SoI: you've got DFC, which are independent, Delirium(nearly every card with Delirium is fine without it but gets better with it) and Investigate(no cards call for the sacking of clues that themselves don't generate clues, also a mechanic that feels good when you get to use it). Madness just eats up a large part of the set in order to work well in Draft, while also being confusing to some players.

I never got why they made Fateful Hour though be 5 life and not some other number (7 maybe?)

They have done guns exactly once- Portal Second Age
126.jpg

Love that card, am actually on the hunt for some copies right now.

Modern legal version:
27.jpg

Also, another with a gun:
125.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well we invented the wheel before portable combustion.

El Topo

Behold, for I am from the distant future and bring you news from the year 2017!!!

Standard still sucks.
Happy new year!

traveler

Not Wario
Apparently, my Kaladesh art book will be here Tuesday. Guess that date makes sense with the 1 week spoiler season. Only going to see new art a few days early.

Yeef

Ravnica and Kaladesh get to toe the line of sci-fi because of their themes. Having actual, mechanical guns show up in Magic prominently would be odd. Having some sort of magic-based projectile weapon that happens to have a trigger is less egregious, but still somewhat problematic. I suspect, when they do a western themed set, guns will be replaced with magic wands or something else less gun-like. Maybe walkie-talkies.

Ravnica and Kaladesh get to toe the line of sci-fi because of their themes. Having actual, mechanical guns show up in Magic prominently would be odd. Having some sort of magic-based projectile weapon that happens to have a trigger is less egregious, but still somewhat problematic. I suspect, when they do a western themed set, guns will be replaced with magic wands or something else less gun-like. Maybe walkie-talkies.

Cannons are kinda sweet though.

Magic Revolvers?

I think the Guns thing comes down to mechanics a bit. Archers / bow & crossbow creatures usually have Reach and / or deal with fliers. I think you'd want to follow the same logic and Reach / flier-hate seems kinda shallow and not interesting.

But yeah, there are all sorts of "weapons" already. Feels like there is a lot of variety as it is with "magic" shooters. Predator, Flagship, for example, is def shooting something :)

135.jpg

Really looking forward to Aether Revolt and Amonket though. I feel like more Crocodiles are in our future lol

zeemumu

I think the Guns thing comes down to mechanics a bit. Archers / bow & crossbow creatures usually have Reach and / or deal with fliers. I think you'd want to follow the same logic and Reach / flier-hate seems kinda shallow and not interesting.

But yeah, there are all sorts of "weapons" already. Feels like there is a lot of variety already. Predator, Flagship, for example, is def shooting something :)

[imghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/ne/135.jpg][/img]

Really looking forward to Aether Revolt and Amonket though. I feel like more Crocodiles are in our future lol

I think the guns in the block that I'd have in mind would have an emphasis on first strike because of gunslinger Quickdraw and whatnot. Something like card with skulk transform into card with first strike for citizen/outlaw

I think the guns in the block that I'd have in mind would have an emphasis on first strike because of gunslinger Quickdraw and whatnot

Yeah, that could be neat, and / or maybe creatures that deal damage when they are targeted.

Also: After playing Duels more and more, I feel like the set symbol should be more prevalent in the packaging. Maybe just the online component, but the set symbol and set packaging seem super divorced and I don't know if that is deliberate or an oversight. If I look at a card from Shadows and a card from Eldritch Moon, then look at the packaging, I have no idea which one came from which. Dunno, maybe that's just me.

Wulfric

Yeah, that could be neat, and / or maybe creatures that deal damage when they are targeted.

Also: After playing Duels more and more, I feel like the set symbol should be more prevalent in the packaging. Maybe just the online component, but the set symbol and set packaging seem super divorced and I don't know if that is deliberate or an oversight. If I look at a card from Shadows and a card from Eldritch Moon, then look at the packaging, I have no idea which one came from which. Dunno, maybe that's just me.

Huh, I think you have a point. You can tell cards apart, but you still don't know which set symbol belongs to which box. Maybe they can put it up front where the planeswalker logo usually is. Although you can still use the set identifier on the bottom left of the card.
Basically, replace the symbol on the right with the set symbol would solve this issue.

Ashodin

But yeah, there are all sorts of "weapons" already. Feels like there is a lot of variety as it is with "magic" shooters. Predator, Flagship, for example, is def shooting something :)

135.jpg

My favorite card in my Karn deck when I hit infinite mana. Boom the board blows up. PULL! BOOM! PULL! BOOM!

Crossbows have always been less pronounced in magic than bow and arrow, crossbowmen don't usually have reach, they often ping though. I think guns would just fill that spot, a set with guns would underemphasize toughness more than anything.
Innistrad remains the most egregious set for the lack of guns. Kaladesh and Ravnica are based on a sci-fi setting that gives room for much more timeless designs, meanwhile Innistrad evokes a very particular time in our history and designs that are simply synonymous with guns.

XS5LK.gif

Wulfric

MtG resolution time! Or shall we say oath? ;)

I resolve:
  • to actually win a PPTQ
  • practice legacy more often
  • qualify for and attend a WMCQ
What about you?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
  • Finish my Shadowborn Apostle playset
  • Win another PPTQ drunk
  • Convince someone Mystic Remora is a good Commander card
  • Have a modern deck
  • Play a game of modern
Any y'all coming to Brisbane GPT?

traveler

Not Wario
Go to PT Kyoto. That's about it.

But more seriously, would like to get into modern at some point, win a PPTQ, and top 8 a reasonable legacy event with my DnT deck.

red13th

• draft my cube more
  • finish my troll Zedruu EDH deck
  • build my husband's flip Jace EDH deck

Not very much. Happy new year MagicGAF!

hermit7

Still working on the balance of them. Currently trying 3 recruiter 2 prelate. Haven't tried palace jailer yet.

I play d&t also and am on a 2/2 split, also haven't tried palace jailer. Seems reasonable, but realistically I doubt he is better than Gideon who is a house.

Maybe better in a 1/1 split considering he can be tutored up with by recruiter.

Goals for the year...
Play more legacy

Going to make the new thread later today (or rather, I'll post the first two posts here and have charlequin split them off). Currently the most popular thread title is "That shit that make your soul burn slow", so last chance for any challengers.

Also, be sure to look through my draft and tell me if there's anything you want to see there, or if there's anything else I should change.

OnPoint

Currently the most popular thread title is "That shit that make your soul burn slow", so last chance for any challengers.

Image.ashx

Part of me wants to find a pun that replaces "shit" because I feel like it's not good to have in a thread title. But I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head.

Basically, replace the symbol on the right with the set symbol would solve this issue.

Yeah, on the box would be a start. Incorporating it on the booster itself is where I thought it would have the most impact. Just interesting that there's no connection as far as I can tell.

My favorite card in my Karn deck when I hit infinite mana. Boom the board blows up. PULL! BOOM! PULL! BOOM!

I love Legacy Weapon for this :) With infinite mana, playing Skyship Weatherlight and putting Legacy Weapon into play, blowing up everything: The best.

It's funny that the story gets shit on, but as a "new" Magic player (2013), I love the Weatherlight stuff. I haven't read anything nor do I intend to... but when I first started searching cards and I saw the Weatherlight-related ones, I found them super interesting and was drawn to them.

Crossbows have always been less pronounced in magic than bow and arrow, crossbowmen don't usually have reach, they often ping though. I think guns would just fill that spot, a set with guns would underemphasize toughness more than anything.

Innistrad remains the most egregious set for the lack of guns. Kaladesh and Ravnica are based on a sci-fi setting that gives room for much more timeless designs, meanwhile Innistrad evokes a very particular time in our history and designs that are simply synonymous with guns.

That's true RE: Crossbows. Also, Javelins have a place, too - as far as I can tell they always hit things based on combat (attacking / blocking).

PS: Where's Magic's trebuchet? There are goofy catapults and battering rams...

142.jpg

It's funny that the story gets shit on, but as a "new" Magic player (2013), I love the Weatherlight stuff. I haven't read anything nor do I intend to... but when I first started searching cards and I saw the Weatherlight-related ones, I found them super interesting and was drawn to them.

It was like this for me at the time too. Selenia and Crovax's story is what got me into Magic in the first place.

EDIT: That being, what we could piece together from the various cards. Didn't even know there was non-card/videogame Magic media for a good few years when I started playing.

MtG resolution time! Or shall we say oath? ;)

I resolve:
  • to actually win a PPTQ
  • practice legacy more often
  • qualify for and attend a WMCQ
What about you?

• Draft new sets. AKA: Draft more than twice a year
  • Attend GP Vancouver, even if the price is absurd. AKA: Get a playmat

It was like this for me at the time too. Selenia and Crovax's story is what got me into Magic in the first place.

EDIT: That being, what we could piece together from the various cards. Didn't even know there was non-card/videogame Magic media for a good few years when I started playing.

Yeah, I only know what's up with some characters based on the cards I saw and eventually I wiki'd them, discovering a multitude of books / stories.

Now, I casually follow the story with the recaps and stuff posted in these threads. A lot of early Magic stories completely baffle me that they are actually real lol

OnPoint

Yeah, I only know what's up with some characters based on the cards I saw and eventually I wiki'd them, discovering a multitude of books / stories.

Now, I casually follow the story with the recaps and stuff posted in these threads. A lot of early Magic stories completely baffle me that they are actually real lol

Out of curiosity which stories stand out as the most baffling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom