• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Avatar is the sequel to Aliens. Xenomorphs evolved into those tall blue things and became hippies.

Seriously, wow, this looks incredible. I got chills during the last 40 seconds.

F!ReW!Re

Looks awesome.

Really think the plot is as the title implies:

Aliens left "beacons" throughout the galaxy, so that if humans stumbled on them, it would send something to Earth to attack humans and bring them back to a primitive state, and this would happen again and again forever. Basically, some sort of weapon that prevents intelligent species from becoming too advanced, without having to keep tabs on them 24/7. This fits with the Prometheus myth, who gave the forbidden fire to mankind and was punished by being tied to a mountain where a bird (logo seen in the trailer, and original alien concept had wings) would forever eat his self-regenerating liver (symbolizing life forms constantly being reduced back to primitive forms when they "heal").

That would also explain the opening line; "A king has his reign and then he dies..." "It's inevitable" Implying the rule of mankind and it's downfall/end.

Darklord

Banned
That kind of showed more than it probably should have in terms on spoilers but looks great. If this is a prequel to Alien, why do they never say it? Like not even "From the director of Alien".

cdyhybrid

That kind of showed more than it probably should have in terms on spoilers but looks great. If this is a prequel to Alien, why do they never say it? Like not even "From the director of Alien".

Managing expectations. Attach the title of arguably the greatest sci-fi movie ever to this project and it will be guaranteed to disappoint.

What's the mystery? They've been featuring the ship from the start of Alien (and the space jockey) for a while now. Anybody who's seen the movie can make the connection.

cdyhybrid

Since when do Hollywood companies care about expectations?

I think Ridley is calling the shots with this one, not the company. At least it seems like it.
except for the rating

Also it'll probably help with reviews to keep expectations as low as possible.

Suairyu

Banned
What's the mystery? They've been featuring the ship from the start of Alien (and the space jockey) for a while now. Anybody who's seen the movie can make the connection.
Or a ship that looks like it.

Thanks for this.

Watched the trailer.

Looks great but I think that most of the time Charlize Theron is a terrible actress, so she de-hypes it for me.

I'm like... "why are you in this budding masterpiece"?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jesus Christ. That thing pushed all my nerd switches and then gave a wedgie.

I'm now in full blackout mode. See you on the premiere, GAF.

So GAF, there is this chick that completely turns me off but always shows constant interest in me. She has been working on Prometheus and will no doubt be attending a cast and crew screening which may or may not include a +1. They normally do include a plus one, though.

Do I take one for Ridley?

Suairyu

Banned
So GAF, there is this chick that completely turns me off but always shows constant interest in me. She has been working on Prometheus and will no doubt be attending a cast and crew screening which may or may not include a +1. They normally do include a plus one, though.

Do I take one for Ridley?
Are you asking if you should sleep with a girl you're not attracted to for a chance to interact with perhaps the greatest living visual director of our time?

Because I think the answer is clear.

Are you asking if you should sleep with a girl you're not attracted to for a chance to interact with perhaps the greatest living visual director of our time?

Because I think the answer is clear.

No, probably just a screening a couple weeks in advance. Crew all around the world working on this baby.

Suairyu

Banned
No, probably just a screening a couple weeks in advance. Crew all around the world working on this baby.
Oh.

Exactly how not-attracted to her are you? Is she really ugly or is it just a case of average person who for whatever reason doesn't press your buttons?

Oh.

Exactly how not-attracted to her are you? Is she really ugly or is it just a case of average person who for whatever reason doesn't press your buttons?

It was more a hypothetical. She's not ugly, but her personality is grating to the point where the fallout probably wouldn't be worth it.

duckroll

It was more a hypothetical. She's not ugly, but her personality is grating to the point where the fallout probably wouldn't be worth it.

If you have to ask, don't do it. Lol. If there is any chance of something like this working out, you wouldn't even have to ask, based on the circumstances. :p

Suairyu

Banned
What Duckroll said. Had it been for a chance to meet Sir Scott, you would have no only tapped that, but gone down on her after.

But just for an early screening?

Nope. Don't do it.

Monocle

I'll say District 9 was a truly great sci-fi film.
I guess I was thinking about sci-fi in a more restricted sense. Like, space exploration with a dash of drama, in the vein of 2001 or the first half of Sunshine. Or you know, Alien.

But yeah, District 9 is great. In a different way and for different reasons than I expect Prometheus to be.

Looks awesome.

Really think the plot is as the title implies:

Aliens left "beacons" throughout the galaxy, so that if humans stumbled on them, it would send something to Earth to attack humans and bring them back to a primitive state, and this would happen again and again forever. Basically, some sort of weapon that prevents intelligent species from becoming too advanced, without having to keep tabs on them 24/7. This fits with the Prometheus myth, who gave the forbidden fire to mankind and was punished by being tied to a mountain where a bird (logo seen in the trailer, and original alien concept had wings) would forever eat his self-regenerating liver (symbolizing life forms constantly being reduced back to primitive forms when they "heal").

What about the Predators?

artist

Banned
I highly doubt this film would be made as it is, if at all, if it weren't for Cameron's previous film and his return to filmmaking. It takes one of the juggernauts of the genre to inspire another to return, thats all there is to it.
Yes but damn that zinger cannot be topped. Here it is again:
More like Ridley Scott shows Cameron how to do sci-fi.

Mr. Sam

Honestly I thought these two were high-quality genre 'B' movies, but I wouldn't call either Great with the upper-case G.

That's because great isn't a proper noun, you stupid duck! Though I'd largely agree with your assessment. Highly watchable, very well made, very clever, but not on the highest tier.

Prometheus is easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Hype reaching ludicrous levels! That trailer might have been the best I've ever seen!

And Sculi, I would go down on my knees and propose to that girl if it meant seeing Prometheus even a day early :D

What about the Predators?

mat4ai4j3i.gif

ultrazilla

Hype slashed.

Fox wants a PG-13 theatrical cut. They have told Ridley he can release his uncut/director's cut to Blu-Ray so no worries there.

Before anyone gets too crazy about the PG-13 rating, ALIEN would most likely get a PG-13 rating if released today. There really wasn't much blood(well except the chestburster scene) and little swearing.

This trailer is so epic. Real sets! Real vehicles! Model work! Very little cgi from what I can see. Ridley said he wanted old school big sets and practical effects, it looks like it from here.

I'm so in theaters at the first showings June 8th!!

Prequel doesn't have a good association. And the name Alien is associated heavily with Sigourney Weaver. And there are a lot of obsessed fans that recognize the Space Jockey but most people will think of the Xenomorph when it comes to the first film. They probably thought a lot of people wouldn't understand how this is a prequel to Alien and to explain it would give away too much of the film.

I hope this trailer works on people that aren't already going to see the film, nothing so far have got my friends interested in going and I'd hate to have to go and watch this on my own.

I made one of them watch Alien and he said "it was ok, but
Alien vs Predator
was better." :(

G-Fex

Well there's strong hints, like the same trailer ambient noise thing. And the line about "great things start out small"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom