• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to offer "Shrinkable Games"?

Akai__

Credit to Skyline Owl from the "Latest Xbox One Update" thread:

I don't remember this being here. Has this always been here and I just haven't noticed?

nBOH8In.png

"When you have games on this Xbox that can shrink, while staying playable, you'll see them here."

This would be pretty sweet considering that game sizes are becoming more and more big.

Cool, I'm guessing install sizes can be cut after you finish a tutorial or reach a certain point in a game where assets are no longer necessary. Seems like a natural step beyond just having optional 4K asset packs.

Hopefully there will be options available when installing games as well - developers should be able to flag certain features as available to install (e.g. audio languages) and anything not selected appears on that screen.

finley83

Banned
Guessing foreign languages etc as well? Would be a good idea. Also presumably non-4k assets if you have an UHD display

danowat

Banned
So the deletion of assets you no longer need after playing through them?

Or deletion of content you know you won't play?, I could strip the MP mode out of most games I play..........

LAA

Sounds interesting.
First thought is I wondered whether this is the solution Xbox were talking about moving data to the cloud.

Does shrinking them affect load times or anything? I would rather sacrifice disk space than loading times (especially tekken 7)

Akai__

Guessing foreign languages etc as well? Would be a good idea. Also presumably non-4k assets if you have an UHD display

Honestly, there should be a seperate "Languages" tab on the "Manage Game" page, where you can choose which languages you want to install.

Lucifon

This would be killer. I believe languages take up a vast amount of space in games which have a lot of voice over. Cutting that out would be so handy.

I feel like they announced this recently. Isn't it talking about storing non essential assets on the cloud and streaming them in when they are needed.

Edit: source

Akai__

This would be killer. I believe languages take up a vast amount of space in games which have a lot of voice over. Cutting that out would be so handy.

They do. Halo 5's soundfiles on PC, which only includes all of the MP VO's, is 10GB of audio. Now imagine all of the Campaign audio, in every single language.

So the deletion of assets you no longer need after playing through them?

Or deletion of content you know you won't play?, I could strip the MP mode out of most games I play..........

Probably just compressing the game's files. You'll save space but increase loading times.

I feel like they announced this recently. Isn't it talking about storing non essential assets on the cloud and streaming them in when they are needed.

Edit: source

I think that's something else since it won't be calculating space savings from an existing install.

Apple allowed iOS developers to do something similar with two methods:

1) App thinning only installs components a device, or game, needs, dropping components that won't ever be used (e.g. high res assets for an iPad, assets from a tutorial level for a game when the tutorial is cleared)

2) On Demand Resources are when developers flag some assets to only be streamed from the internet.

Hm... I wonder if this would work in a similar fashion to what DF just observed with Rayman Legends on Switch. Compress the file size of the game dramatically with the expense of longer load times while the box does its thing. Could be handy on Xbox One X if it meant compressed games were at or only slightly above Xbox One S load times as a result.

Allforce

Microsoft desperately needs this more than anyone, their game sizes are ridiculous.

Truth.

Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, and Killer Instinct essentially take up almost half of the 380 GB they give you on the 500 GB model.

Gears 4 is like 96 GB at this point, and Killer Instinct is like 60. The only thing I've ever seen on PS4 that tops either is Doom.

Akai__

The tech to seperate Language and even Campaign/MP from Games is already their thanks to UWP. There is a GDC segement, where they talked about all of this.

Problem is that nobody is using it. That alone would be very helpful to shrink games. They wouldn't really need the Cloud stuff and I see that as a waste of ressources, instead of letting us manually uninstall certain content.

cireza

I could shrink my games by not being forced to have all the multiplayer content that I don't use.

But this will never happen.

Very interesting. It probably compresses game files down and then uncompresses them as the game is launched. It'll probably come with 3-5 minute "Please wait while we prepare your game..." message or something. But, essentially, would allow you to store your games without having to download them again, but there would be some wait time before they launch... Or maybe give you the intro sections that you can play while the game is installing (loading menus, etc). Probably wouldn't be useful for a game that you launch every couple weeks or once a month, but maybe if you have a bunch of archived games that you don't usually play but don't want to remove from the HDD completely, could be useful. Like, I still have Forza 5 installed, or w/e, which I haven't played in years, but I still leave on there in case one day I get an itch... Which hasn't happened in ages, but still. That would be a candidate for me to compress/shrink.

Looks like a pretty early feature though and something sometime off... Especially that 'leftover addons' thing.

I kinda wish that you could opt out of language packs for games. I'm never going to play a game in any other language than English, and I'm not sure how much space a textual language pack takes up (probably almost nothing), but if there's voice over that gets translated, that would amount to a lot. They're automatically included which is good for people in other regions/languages, but it might be something they could offer a toggle for, like:

[X] Make [English] my Default Language in Games
[X] Download Alternative Languages on Demand (When Available)

And, of course, [English] would be an option, versus German, Japanese, Spanish, etc.

ElNino

Truth.

Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, and Killer Instinct essentially take up almost half of the 380 GB they give you on the 500 GB model.

Gears 4 is like 96 GB at this point, and Killer Instinct is like 60. The only thing I've ever seen on PS4 that tops either is Doom.
I believe Uncharted 4 is over 60 GB, but most of my PS4 1st party games are 30-50 GB. Halo and Gears seem to be the worst offenders for some reason.

RootCause

Pretty neat. I'd be up for even better compression, even if it means you take a couple of minutes extra to uncompresse the games, and make them playable again.

Trup1aya

All of MS's first party games are loaded with bullshit that increases the footprint to ridiculous levels.

If executed correctly this could be a game changer.

"Oh halo 5 is on gamepass? Cool. Oh i need to clear out 100GB? Nevermind"

Thebonehead

Banned
Credit to Skyline Owl from the "Latest Xbox One Update" thread:

This would be pretty sweet considering that game sizes are becoming more and more big.
Interesting I'm on the alpha ring so will check it out later.

Also that light theme... Burns my eye on my oled.

I wish you could install single player and competitive multiplayer separately. I'm never gonna play Halo 5 campaign again, so being able to uninstall that shit would be for the best.

Top Bottom