• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

Oregano

But it's not really true from that perspective either. FFXV team is tinkering with Switch, FFXIV team is actively developing on Switch, Omega Force and Gust have gone full Switch multiplat support, NIS has pledged to Switch support after D5C success, Nagoshi/Yakuza Studio plans to make Switch games, Tokyo RPG Factory, PSO2 is coming to Switch, Arc Sys fighting team is now on Switch multiplat, Hamster brought Arcade Archives, Tales is coming, 5pb Science VN, Tozai Spelunker, GalGun, Touhou spinoffs, etc. There is a good degree of expanded developer interest here despite Japan's general slowness to transition to new platforms and that's just going to grow as we go forward.

I'm not sure either of the bolded is true, and there's a very good chance the FFXV doesn't produce anything for Switch.

Regista (a company that seemingly makes only VN on PS platforms and PC, like Root Double) just announced they've been approved as Switch devs. Currently working on ports and new titles.

https://twitter.com/PR_Regista/status/921186769059450880

I guess Exile Election is one of the game Anihawk was talking about.

EDIT:
One, I'll say again that I think you are now shifting your arguments since the "Switch isn't getting any 3rd party games" one is being proven false.

Second, I would argue that you are really really overstating the "damage" from something like Inazuma Eleven going multi platform when you are essentially ignoring other franchises and heck entire publishers now developing for a Nintendo platform for the first time ever.

If Switch is retaining 3DS support AND getting a decent amount of Vita and PS4 franchises in addition to its own combined first party output, I fail to see how that equals anything else other than extremely healthy sales in Japan.

How many NIS/Gust/Omega Force/Blazblue games does it take to make up the lost software sales of something like DQXI being multiplatform? Will it actually balance out?

L~A

Nope, NOA and NOE still published the 3DS versions in their regions.

Not quite. Nintendo only distributed the game in Europe, Level-5 was the publisher in that region. L5 did everything themselves for NA (publishing, distro).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451373

Made a thread about it but no one seemed interested.

But yeah I think this really shows that Nintendo opening up to more developers.

This is kind of company that typically never release their titles on Nintendo platform.

Oops, my bad. Totally didn't see, been really busy today ^_^"

mao2

But it’s not really true from that perspective either. FFXV team is tinkering with Switch, FFXIV team is actively developing on Switch, Omega Force and Gust have gone full Switch multiplat support, NIS has pledged to Switch support after D5C success, Nagoshi/Yakuza Studio plans to make Switch games, Tokyo RPG Factory, PSO2 is coming to Switch, Arc Sys fighting team is now on Switch multiplat, Hamster brought Arcade Archives, Tales is coming, 5pb Science VN, Tozai Spelunker, GalGun, Touhou spinoffs, etc. There is a good degree of expanded developer interest here despite Japan’s general slowness to transition to new platforms and that’s just going to grow as we go forward.
I was only trying to explain what I understood from Oregano's post, not agree with him. :p There are definitely going to be more PlayStation exclusives going multiplatform, just like what happened in the previous gen when PS3/360 multiplatform titles became a norm.

Fiendcode

I'm not sure either of the bolded is true, and there's a very good chance the FFXV doesn't produce anything for Switch.
FFXIV team makes DQ Builders fwiw. Nagoshi announced his intention at the Switch reveal, presumably he was soeaking about CS1 since that’s the division he makes games in.

Oregano

FFXIV team makes DQ Builders fwiw. Nagoshi announced his intention at the Switch reveal, presumably he was soeaking about CS1 since that’s the division he makes games in.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I think Nagoshi was speaking from his role as Chief Creative Officer as Sega though.

Laplasakos

The move to PlatStation for DQ happened years ago though and the plan originally may have been for a full move since (pre-Switch) Builders and Heroes skipped Nintendo and DQXI was concieved as a PS4 exclusive. What we’ve seen with DQ is actually something of a swing backwards to full multiplat after a more agressive PS push, likely due to the market realities in Japan.

Builders skipped 3DS for technical reasons, they even said that they wanted to release it on 3DS but it wasn't powerful enough. WiiU was not an option since they started development afrer it was clear it was gonna bomb. DQXI was never concieved as a PS4 exclusive, unless you have any official source about it (there isn't). Nintendo was still getting DQ games (Theatrhythm Dragon quest, DQX, DQVIII) even after SE started announcing DQ games for PlayStation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
EDIT:

How many NIS/Gust/Omega Force/Blazblue games does it take to make up the lost software sales of something like DQXI being multiplatform? Will it actually balance out?

Ok I honestly am struggling to understand your overarching point here.

One, DQXI is already out for PS4 and it hasn't impacted Switch sales one bit. Switch is getting literally every DQ release there is and is clearly being cultivated by SE. What the heck need to balanced?

If Switch is getting a lot of third party games in a variety of genres and again has its own strong output- where is the loss?

I'll put it this way- Sony essentially has no first party in Japan. If 3rd party releases are roughly equal between Switch and PS4- there really isn't going to be any competition in the market.

Oregano

Ok I honestly am struggling to understand your overarching point here.

One, DQXI is already out for PS4 and it hasn't impacted Switch sales one bit. Switch is getting literally every DQ release there is and is clearly being cultivated by SE. What the heck need to balanced?

If Switch is getting a lot of third party games in a variety of genres and again has its own strong output- where is the loss?

I'll put it this way- Sony essentially has no first party in Japan. If 3rd party releases are roughly equal between Switch and PS4- there really isn't going to be any competition in the market.

The loss is in revenue generated from license fees and it will be in the less hardware sold for third party games. Even if you assume Switch will make up 75% of sales for those franchises that 25% is a massive amount, much bigger than the small games that are now targeting Switch.

On a smaller scale you're going to have stuff like Shin Megami Tensei that's going to go from a 200k+ seller on 3DS to a <100k on Switch and the audience of that franchise is distinct enough to have sold 3DS hardware to people.

sense

It is really not that hard to understand what oregano is getting at. Sony really hasn’t had many huge franchises compared to Nintendo last gen per say but the biggest third party exclusives or games not on Nintendo platform they have had are yakuza, metal gear, resident evil, souls, persona, tales, final fantasy etc....and so far none of them have gone multiplatform or been announced for switch(obviously I am talking mainline). On the other hand, monster hunter and dragon quest have moved over. Now level 5 is showing signs of going multiplatform and maybe yokai watch will be next. Smt hd is also possible but we will know next week on that.

If the tales game turns out to be the next mainline game out for PS4 and switch that would be a start to counter his argument. If the next from software action rpg is also on switch then that would be another. Hell, even if persona 5 Switch is announced that would be a counter to his argument. So far we have only had mostly the niche developers go multiplatform with switch. I always felt something like dragon quest heroes/builders were meant to come out on switch(nx at the time) down the line.

Yes, I get that this is the first year for switch and there is a lot of time for them to move over. Just trying to explain his line of thought.

schuelma

The loss is in revenue generated from license fees and it will be in the less hardware sold for third party games. Even if you assume Switch will make up 75% of sales for those franchises that 25% is a massive amount, much bigger than the small games that are now targeting Switch.

On a smaller scale you're going to have stuff like Shin Megami Tensei that's going to go from a 200k+ seller on 3DS to a <100k on Switch and the audience of that franchise is distinct enough to have sold 3DS hardware to people.

Ok. Yes, if you're literally talking dollars and cents then SE's decision 4 years ago was bad for Nintendo. I think you're looking at this way too black and white- using this argument Switch needs what, 1.5M exclusive 3rd party software sales to break even with your metric? Who cares?

If we're talking Switch's place in the market I just don't see it as a big deal when Switch is clearly in starting to develop a much more well rounded 3rd party platform than even DS/3DS I would argue.

schuelma

It is really not that hard to understand what oregano is getting at. Sony really hasn’t had many huge franchises compared to Nintendo last gen per say but the biggest third party exclusives or games not on Nintendo platform they have had are yakuza, metal gear, resident evil, souls, persona, tales, final fantasy etc....and so far none of them have gone multiplatform or been announced for switch(obviously I am talking mainline). On the other hand, monster hunter and dragon quest have moved over. Now level 5 is showing signs of going multiplatform and maybe yokai watch will be next. Smt hd is also possible but we will know next week on that.

If the tales game turns out to be the next mainline game out for PS4 and switch that would be a start to counter his argument. If the next from software action rpg is also on switch then that would be another. Hell, even if persona 5 Switch is announced that would be a counter to his argument. So far we have only had mostly the niche developers go multiplatform with switch. I always felt something like dragon quest heroes/builders were meant to come out on switch(nx at the time) down the line.

Yes, I get that this is the first year for switch and there is a lot of time for them to move over. Just trying to explain his line of thought.

I get the point. And at this extremely early point yes, its true. I guess I don't see it as a big deal if Switch just keeps getting multiplatform releases- Switch has plenty of exclusives to get people to buy its hardware. Relative parity with PS4 is going to equal a very healthy platform, period.

Fiendcode

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I think Nagoshi was speaking from his role as Chief Creative Officer as Sega though.
It’s possible although it’d be odd for him to be there talking about his desire to develop Switch games if his actual dev group wasn’t doing any. Sort of like if Apple brought Miyamoto to a keynote and then he just announced a Metroid game.

Sega CS1 only ever produced one 3DS game btw, Super Monkey Ball 3D at launch. Sega Japan’s longer term 3DS support came entirely from CS2 (Sonic, Puyo Puyo), CS3 (3D Classics, Hero Bank, 7th Dragon), Networks (Initial D) or weirdly AM2 (Project Mirai). Nagoshi barely touched the platform himself so I very much took his presence as a shift of some sort.

Fiendcode

Builders skipped 3DS for technical reasons, they even said that they wanted to release it on 3DS but it wasn't powerful enough. WiiU was not an option since they started development afrer it was clear it was gonna bomb. DQXI was never concieved as a PS4 exclusive, unless you have any official source about it (there isn't). Nintendo was still getting DQ games (Theatrhythm Dragon quest, DQX, DQVIII) even after SE started announcing DQ games for PlayStation.
We’ve been over this before but the source for DQXI was Horii’s loose lips themselves. DQX ongoing support sort of implies there might have been a market for Builders and Heroes on Wii U anyway but they didn’t happen then, while they hit every possible PlayStation to try and sell.

3DS still got remakes but the long delay between VII and VIII makes it seem like there was some shuffling in the interim. The GBC and DS remakes came much more in quick succession. Theatrhym doesn’t really imply anything either way, the developer is unofficially Nintendo (or Nintendo friendly) exclusive.

sense

I get the point. And at this extremely early point yes, its true. I guess I don't see it as a big deal if Switch just keeps getting multiplatform releases- Switch has plenty of exclusives to get people to buy its hardware. Relative parity with PS4 is going to equal a very healthy platform, period.
Agreed. Switch doesn’t need those games to be successful but that is a different argument.

test_account

XP-39C²
YW is kinda popular in Europe so I don't see why not.
Its possible, but it would surprise me if it comes to PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451373

Made a thread about it but no one seemed interested.

But yeah I think this really shows that Nintendo opening up to more developers.

This is kind of company that typically never release their titles on Nintendo platform.
Was Nintendo blocking those developers before?

I honestly do not understand Namco’s line of thought. People say they don’t want to announce Dragon Ball Z fighters on Switch because it would effect Xenoverse 2 sales, yet they announced a updated version of Xenoverse on PS4.

It’s also annoying how people have to beg for a game to be on a system.

I honestly do not understand Namco’s line of thought. People say they don’t want to announce Dragon Ball Z fighters on Switch because it would effect Xenoverse 2 sales, yet they announced a updated version of Xenoverse on PS4.

It’s also annoying how people have to beg for a game to be on a system.
it could be that they never intended to build a version of that game to the console,all they wanted was free marketing and that’s it,who knows

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Splatune 2 album comes out at 29 November. Splatune came out at 21 October 2015 and sold 43k at its first week (24k first day) being second in Oricon charts.
___

It looks Nintendo is running an advertising campaign for Odyssey comparable to Splatoon 2, expectations from retailers are high.

Oregano

Ok. Yes, if you're literally talking dollars and cents then SE's decision 4 years ago was bad for Nintendo. I think you're looking at this way too black and white- using this argument Switch needs what, 1.5M exclusive 3rd party software sales to break even with your metric? Who cares?

If we're talking Switch's place in the market I just don't see it as a big deal when Switch is clearly in starting to develop a much more well rounded 3rd party platform than even DS/3DS I would argue.

1.5m would be from just that one release but if you take the combined software sales of the Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Level 5 games on 3DS and chop 25% off that's a significant amount.

That's also less hardware being pushed by those software releases. We've seen the boosts those franchises have given in the past.

I don't think it's a black and white perspective at all.

It’s possible although it’d be odd for him to be there talking about his desire to develop Switch games if his actual dev group wasn’t doing any. Sort of like if Apple brought Miyamoto to a keynote and then he just announced a Metroid game.

Sega CS1 only ever produced one 3DS game btw, Super Monkey Ball 3D at launch. Sega Japan’s longer term 3DS support came entirely from CS2 (Sonic, Puyo Puyo), CS3 (3D Classics, Hero Bank, 7th Dragon), Networks (Initial D) or weirdly AM2 (Project Mirai). Nagoshi barely touched the platform himself so I very much took his presence as a shift of some sort.

I don't think there's been any indication that he's getting involved in Switch games though. His team announced several games not too long ago and none of them are for Switch. It would be a very long ways off if he was planning on making a Switch game.

Laplasakos

We’ve been over this before but the source for DQXI was Horii’s loose lips themselves. DQX ongoing support sort of implies there might have been a market for Builders and Heroes on Wii U anyway but they didn’t happen then, while they hit every possible PlayStation to try and sell.

3DS still got remakes but the long delay between VII and VIII makes it seem like there was some shuffling in the interim. The GBC and DS remakes came much more in quick succession. Theatrhym doesn’t really imply anything either way, the developer is unofficially Nintendo (or Nintendo friendly) exclusive.

WiiU was their alternative viable option for Japan back then, because Wii was on it's last days and PC alone wouldn't cut it for Japan, so that's the reason for the ongoing support. Since SE has direct access on the number of people playing it, i am pretty sure they would knew if it was worth to make Builders and Heroes for WiiU.

Regarding DQXI, yes, we have been over this before but you still continue saying the same thing. Horii never said that DQXI was PS4 exclusive or started as a PS4 exclusive. Only thing he said was that before starting developing the game, they knew people wanted to play a mainline DQ game on their TVs again, so the decision for the next one to be for home console was there from the start along the portable version they always had in mind because obviously japanese players prefer playing on portable these days. This is totally different from saying that the game was PS4 exclusive and i really know why you keep insisting. The fact that you try to pass your own speculation as a fact or official news only to prove your point makes no sense at all. From the first interview Horii gave about the game in Jump

What’s the reason you’ve chosen to make Dragon Quest XI for these two platforms?

“Well, we knew we wanted as many people as possible to be able to play it. We’d like people to be able to really settle in and play on a console, but at the same time it was great to have so many people playing Dragon Quest IX when it came out on a handheld, so we were really torn over which system to put it on. In the end, we just said, ‘Well, why don’t we just make it for both platforms?!’ and kicked off the project.

I think it's clear enough. Now, can you give this a rest?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the issue with trying to pin down “Nintendo focused titles” is that the 3DS and the Wii had very different kinds of support in terms of titles available.

I think you would actually want to view the Switch’s support as a combination of the 3DS, Wii, and Vita, but not the types of things that were PlayStation home console only (as in not on Vita), since the biggest limiter is going to be technical restraints.

That’s not to say nothing that would be console only wouldn’t show up on Switch, obviously Tales is getting something, but that’s also not a technically demanding series.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

DS maybe no since it had an insane amount of releases but Switch is at better position than 3DS for sure.

Apparently expectations for Deluxe Edition of Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 are low. BN is the only big Japanese publisher that remains a question for Switch but things should be clear for their future support soon too.

Oregano

I think the issue with trying to pin down ”Nintendo focused titles" is that the 3DS and the Wii has very different kinds of support in terms of titles available.

I think you would actually want to view the Switch's support as a combination of the 3DS, Wii, and Vita, but not the types of things that were PlayStation home console only (as in not on Vita), since the biggest limiter is going to be technical restraints.

That's not to say nothing that would be console only wouldn't show up on Switch, obviously Tales is getting something, but that's also not a technically demanding series.

A lot of the Vita's more relevant franchises are also not looking likely for Switch right now.

Salvadora

Expecting between 300,000 to 400,000 opening for Super Mario Odyssey and (very) long legs.

Looks to be getting a significant marketing push.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
God Eater (biggest non-Minecraft franchise)
I guess that feels kind of small potatoes overall?

Like to me, the bigger trend is that we’re still seeing people continue the handheld and console combo, but with PS4 and Switch for anyone who wants that.

Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Nippon Ichi, and the visual novel troupe have all shown this behavior. If Namco got on board, that would be basically everyone who was doing that given Sega and Konami make very few dedicated games anymore. Even Level-5 seems onboard with that mindset at this point (adding in mobile to boot).

Now, if Namco has bailed on this idea in favor of PC and XB1, obviously that’s 50 games a year out the window.

Apparently expectations for Deluxe Edition of Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 are low. BN is the only big Japanese publisher that remains a question for Switch but things should be clear for their future support soon too.

It's funny that the Switch version hasn't been impacted by the Deluxe Version announcement in the slightest. And now you're saying expectations for that are low. Interesting.

What are your thoughts on the Switch version's performance so far?

Oregano

Like to me, the bigger trend is that we’re still seeing people continue the handheld and console combo, but with PS4 and Switch for anyone who wants that.

Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Nippon Ichi, and the visual novel troupe have all shown this behavior. If Namco got on board, that would be basically everyone who was doing that given Sega and Konami make very few dedicated games anymore. Even Level-5 seems onboard with that mindset at this point (adding in mobile to boot).

Now, if Namco has bailed on this idea in favor of PC and XB1, obviously that’s 50 games a year out the window.

I don't think it is small potatoes though when you consider that a Switch SKU of God Eater 3 would probably outsell Koei Tecmo and NIS' entire output combined even if it only did moderately well.(maybe excluding Fire Emblem Warriors)

We're also not going to be talking about a Vita vs 3DS situation where one platforms gets more releases(Vita) but the other has more significant release(3DS). It will be a situation where one platform has a small subset of the releases on the other.

Oh okay, lol. There is also X/X-2 HD which sold almost 300k on Vita alone.

EDIT: Actually if we count the single release X HD release and X-2 HD too it's more than 300k.

It will be interesting to see if the FF brand makes an appearance on Switch. Its presence was barely felt on 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it is small potatoes though when you consider that a Switch SKU of God Eater 3 would probably outsell Koei Tecmo and NIS' entire output combined even if it only did moderately well.(maybe excluding Fire Emblem Warriors)

We're also not going to be talking about a Vita vs 3DS situation where one platforms gets more releases(Vita) but the other has more significant release(3DS). It will be a situation where one platform has a small subset of the releases on the other.

It will be interesting to see if the FF brand makes an appearance on Switch. Its presence was barely felt on 3DS.
I guess my question is more if God Eater has brand strength left in the region.

Game sales in Japan are still a harshly declining wasteland, and I imagine all the people who used to buy the series are past the dedicated device gaming age at this point, hence the amount of God Eater mobile games.

I don’t disagree about the subset note as it stands.

Nairume

Banned
The Switch technically already has one.

Given they clearly keep talking about trying to get FF games on the system, even if it never actually happens, there's really no point in being a negative nancy about the prospects of SquareEnix putting Final Fantasy on it in some form.

Sandfox

So many platforms and still not many will care for it.
Pretty much.
Of course it will. Level 5 can't make a game anymore without delaying it at least once.
The game has already been delayed. It was supposed to release around now, but is now a summer 2018 title.
Between Inazuma Eleven and Megaton Musashi being PS4-bound I imagine Level 5 will be releasing all their brands going forward, including new ones, and those are relevant.
Did I miss something.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's funny that the Switch version hasn't been impacted by the Deluxe Version announcement in the slightest. And now you're saying expectations for that are low. Interesting.

What are your thoughts on the Switch version's performance so far?

Whatever damage Bandai did to Xenoverse 2 for Switch was the announcement of next entry missing the system. A late re-release of the same game on PS4 wouldn't affect sales much.

Like to me, the bigger trend is that we're still seeing people continue the handheld and console combo, but with PS4 and Switch for anyone who wants that.

Now, if Namco has bailed on this idea in favor of PC and XB1, obviously that's 50 games a year out the window.

Bandai Namco can survive without supporting Switch at all for now and they aren't in a hurry but I don't think it will take too long before showing future plans for system, small or big. Basically it's only them remaining, almost every other relevant company that can find an audience has shifted resources to Switch.

I’d be absolutely shocked if FFXVI came to switch. I expect they’ll port the older games and put any of the future spinoffs on it though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Definitely. The question is, if it will be mainline and even then, would it be XVI or an older game?
The only big unannounced project at Square Enix seems to be at BD5, and they have lots of online job postings for it, so I probably wouldn’t expect 16 itself.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nintendo's been pushing oddessy hard worldwide. That means they expect big sales.

Counterintuitively, a lot of people always ask for more advertising for smaller games, but from a business perspective it doesn't make sense. You spend where dollar amounts back will be biggest.

Nintendo's spending in marketing means they expect oddessy to sell well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pretty much.

The game has already been delayed. It was supposed to release around now, but is now a summer 2018 title.

Did I miss something.
The original Megaton Musashi screens had PlayStation button prompts and Hino said he wanted it on portables and consoles.

Things could have changed, but it feels like a safe assumption at this point.

Oregano

I guess my question is more if God Eater has brand strength left in the region.

Game sales in Japan are still a harshly declining wasteland, and I imagine all the people who used to buy the series are past the dedicated device gaming age at this point, hence the amount of God Eater mobile games.

I don’t disagree about the subset note as it stands.

I feel like the Vita releases were recent enough to demonstrate that it's got a decent amount of fuel in the tank. I'd also question(in general) how much of the decline in Japan is self inflicted. The current approach seems akin to amputating at the elbow because of a gangrenous finger.

Definitely. The question is, if it will be mainline and even then, would it be XVI or an older game?

I don't see Switch being on the radar for XVI.

The Switch technically already has one.

Given they clearly keep talking about trying to get FF games on the system, even if it never actually happens, there's really no point in being a negative nancy about the prospects of SquareEnix putting Final Fantasy on it in some form.

I'm honestly blanking?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel like the Vita releases were recent enough to demonstrate that it's got a decent amount of fuel in the tank. I'd also question(in general) how much of the decline in Japan is self inflicted. The current approach seems akin to amputating at the elbow because of a gangrenous finger.

I don't see Switch being on the radar for XVI.

I'm honestly blanking?
I mean they’re shifting resources because they want to position against growth markets even if it hurts them short term.

Like we can look at Level-5 and mobile for an example of that. They could have put all their mobile staff on another 3DS title or two and made more money, but they didn’t because they feel mobile is the future.

To see two companies further along that path, both Namco and Square Enix are into their handheld output quite a lot to put out mobile games, but now they’re both make $800 million to $1+ billion a year in mobile, even if they lost out on $200-$300 million of cumulative handheld revenue along the way.

Mind, Level-5 isn’t guaranteed success, but you can see why they might want to try anyway.

The Western shifts are similar. Dragon Ball XenoVerse did 3.5 million copies in the West even if it only sold like 100-200K domestically. Investing in more 3DS games might have been smarter for the local market to get 300K sales there instead, but a way worse idea overall.

Again, obviously this doesn’t work out for every game, but it’s what fuels the decision making process.

Laplasakos

The only big unannounced project at Square Enix seems to be at BD5, and they have lots of online job postings for it, so I probably wouldn’t expect 16 itself.

If it's a cross gen game, i think they could scale down a hypothetical PS4 version. Assuming that XVI is in development, what engine is the most likely choice? Unreal 4? I could see them going with that for faster development.

I too think it's unlikely but with all these multiplatform announcements lately, i think the possibility exists, even if small.

But considering that the guy who leaked FFXV story was spot on, then i doubt the game is in development at all (he said that no one is making XVI as of summer 2016).

Sandfox

The original Megaton Musashi screens had PlayStation button prompts and Hino said he wanted it on portables and consoles.

Things could have changed, but it feels like a safe assumption at this point.
I just assumed the game was vaporware at this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it's a cross gen game, i think they could scale down a hypothetical PS4 version. Assuming that XVI is in development, what engine is the most likely choice? Unreal 4? I could see them going with that for faster development.

I too think it's unlikely but with all these multiplatform announcements lately, i think the possibility exists, even if small.
I guess it depends what we think it is.

If it’s online like a co-op campaign game (see Wildlands), I could see a small chance, though probably pretty small still.

If it’s like Destiny, I would expect the bigger question is “When will they cut off XB1/PS4 support?” as opposed to “Will there be a Switch version?”

I think Switch will never have "big" third party exclusives. As mobile is the big thing in Japan, devs making console games will look for western sales. So it'll always be PS4/Switch or only PS4.

In the last pages we can see how Takaki doesn't still believe in the Switch, so that's why it won't get real Senran Kagura games (but he wants to release it on Xbox lol). That must be on many developer's minds.

Level 5 releasing multiplat with the PS4 and possibly SMT HD being both PS4/Switch are big reasons to believe in this.

Hopefully Nintendo can schedule their IPs well to always have something to sell the system.

Laplasakos

I guess it depends what we think it is.

If it’s online like a co-op campaign game (see Wildlands), I could see a small chance, though probably pretty small still.

If it’s like Destiny, I would expect the bigger question is “When will they cut off XB1/PS4 support?” as opposed to “Will there be a Switch version?”

If they go with a Destiny like game in mind, then the possibility is near to none but this would be a radical change for the franchise. I know that the SE president talked about GaaS recently but still...

Top Bottom