• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City Shrouded in Shadow | OT | Film at 11!!!

If anyone's interested, the archive of my yesterday's stream is up.
2:48, first 5 missions cleared. Some silly deaths in the first mission, but after that it's been mostly smooth sailing.
Playing on the Pro with boost mode enabled.

Had any crashes on the boost mode? Just wondering if it'd be better to turn off boost mode as one GameFAQ's user reported some crashes with boost mode enabled.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Had any crashes on the boost mode? Just wondering if it'd be better to turn off boost mode as one GameFAQ's user reported some crashes with boost mode enabled.
I was also really worried after reading that thread which I linked here earlier, but I had 0 crashes myself. Kept saving every chance I had, just in case though.

Bebpo

Banned
This.Game.is.Amazing

At first I was thinking that ironically as I was laughing nonstop every minute in the first 30 mins, but after a couple hours I'm thinking that non-ironically. This game is like the best parts of ZZT/DR non-stop. This is some of the most fun I've had all year!

It's absolutely made for people who wanted a next-gen Disaster Report/ZZT experience. If you are one of the 100 PS2 DR-era IREM fans, this game is made for you. I feel like they did not hold back at all and try to make a more "normal" and "marketable" game, but rather just said fuck it let's make a next-gen version of exactly the games we were making before we closed down.

It's a single story like a movie, but divided into episodes that are like 20-30 mins each and every ep is like the action sequences of DR/ZZT. Like non-stop exciting stuff but with tons of NPCs along the way to talk to, a sidequest or two each chapter, and lots of dialogue/event choices so you can be a total psychopath asshole aka Michael Thorton Alpha Protocol.

The story is hiliariously amazing and has the most random stuff happening. Even the tutorials are like "Have you ever wanted to crawl under the counter at a convenience store? Press square to crawl and see what happens!". You can buy food and coffee and find outfits (which burn off when you take damage) and just like the old DR games it's basically a Yakuza game on drugs. The camera/controls are just as bad too.

The only downside is when I first loaded it up the framerate was like 5-10fps style like the old games I felt right at home. Then the day 1 patch installed which I guess added pro support and now it runs almost a smooth 30fps which feels way too smooth for DR. I kinda wish you could tank the framerate just for nostalgia sake.

But yeah, this game is so nostalgic. It's straight up a PS2 game in 2017 with like Yakuza 5 level graphics and crazy sci-fi monsters! The concept of DR except the disasters you are escaping are monsters works incredibly well. It's really cool. I just hope it won't be super short since it moves at an incredibly fast pace (although it has replay value with the choices and sidequests).

Spoilers for episode 3
OMG when they re-introduce the Yakuza subplot and then OTHER YAKUZA BOSS shows up WHILE MOTHRA IS BLOWING UP STUFF and they start a scene straight out of RGG...omgggggg I'm dying. This game is made exactly for me and my gaming tastes. I'm in love. Thank you Granzilla!

They really better localize this, because if not that's insane. definitely considering this game is going to sell like 5k copies total and Granzilla will go out of business before ZZT4 even releases :( There is no market at all for their games these days, but their games are so good!

But yeah, this game is so nostalgic. It's straight up a PS2 game in 2017 with like Yakuza 5 level graphics and crazy sci-fi monsters! The concept of DR except the disasters you are escaping are monsters works incredible well. It's really cool. I just hope it won't be super short since it moves at an incredibly fast pace (although it has replay value with the choices and sidequests).

That sounds absolutely perfect. That's exactly what I hoped for when I saw the first trailer.

ranmafan

This.Game.is.Amazing

At first I was thinking that ironically as I was laughing nonstop every minute in the first 30 mins, but after a couple hours I'm thinking that non-ironically. This game is like the best parts of ZZT/DR non-stop. This is some of the most fun I've had all year!

It's absolutely made for people who wanted a next-gen Disaster Report/ZZT experience. If you are one of the 100 PS2 DR-era IREM fans, this game is made for you. I feel like they did not hold back at all and try to make a more "normal" and "marketable" game, but rather just said fuck it let's make a next-gen version of exactly the games we were making before we closed down.

It's a single story like a movie, but divided into episodes that are like 20-30 mins each and every ep is like the action sequences of DR/ZZT. Like non-stop exciting stuff but with tons of NPCs along the way to talk to, a sidequest or two each chapter, and lots of dialogue/event choices so you can be a total psychopath asshole aka Michael Thorton Alpha Protocol.

The story is hiliariously amazing and has the most random stuff happening. Even the tutorials are like "Have you ever wanted to crawl under the counter at a convenience store? Press square to crawl and see what happens!". You can buy food and coffee and find outfits (which burn off when you take damage) and just like the old DR games it's basically a Yakuza game on drugs. The camera/controls are just as bad too.

The only downside is when I first loaded it up the framerate was like 5-10fps style like the old games I felt right at home. Then the day 1 patch installed which I guess added pro support and now it runs almost a smooth 30fps which feels way too smooth for DR. I kinda wish you could tank the framerate just for nostalgia sake.

But yeah, this game is so nostalgic. It's straight up a PS2 game in 2017 with like Yakuza 5 level graphics and crazy sci-fi monsters! The concept of DR except the disasters you are escaping are monsters works incredible well. It's really cool. I just hope it won't be super short since it moves at an incredibly fast pace (although it has replay value with the choices and sidequests).

Spoilers for episode 3
OMG when they re-introduce the Yakuza subplot and then OTHER YAKUZA BOSS shows up WHILE MOTHRA IS BLOWING UP STUFF and they start a scene straight out of RGG...omgggggg I'm dying. This game is made exactly for me and my gaming tastes. I'm in love. Thank you Granzilla!

They really better localize this, because if not that's insane. I'm definitely considered this game is going to sell like 5k copies total and Granzilla will go out of business before ZZT4 even releases :( There is no market at all for their games these days, but their games are so good!

Great impressions! I have similar feelings as yours but Im going to hold back posting my feelings a little bit as I just have a couple more stages left till I beat the game. But I will say this, the game is a blast, hilarious, and like you said a good nostalgia trip. Probably the first time I would accept the term "its a PS2 game" as in this case its not a negative, as it feels like a homage to that era.

But yeah, Ill be posting my full thoughts shortly. Such a fun game!

Comandr

Man I would love for this to get localized. Just some subtitles and translated text is all I need. I could probably fumble through with phone translations but I just don't feel like it would be as enjoyable.

ranmafan

I want to say around 7 to 10 hours. I don't remember exactly.

I’m about to finish, an on the last stage now, and that’s about right. Around 8 hours for me. Famitsu gave it an average of 10 hours to clear and 30 hours to do everything in the game.

This.Game.is.Amazing

But yeah, this game is so nostalgic. It's straight up a PS2 game in 2017 with like Yakuza 5 level graphics and crazy sci-fi monsters! The concept of DR except the disasters you are escaping are monsters works incredibly well. It's really cool. I just hope it won't be super short since it moves at an incredibly fast pace (although it has replay value with the choices and sidequests).

Spoilers for episode 3

They really better localize this, because if not that's insane. definitely considering this game is going to sell like 5k copies total and Granzilla will go out of business before ZZT4 even releases :( There is no market at all for their games these days, but their games are so good!
E-GADS!

This sounds like the perfect game for me. Thank you so much for these detailed and well written notes of yours. I do hope my vicarious experience reading them isn't as close as I'll get to experiencing it for myself.

ranmafan

Well I have finally finished my first play through of "City Shrouded in Shadow." I've taken sometime to think about it and its time to give my full impressions. Let me state first of course, I've been a fan of the game for a long time, I mean I made the OT and all. Plus I should mention that I have a love for games that aren't always the most polished, the best, or the ones with a bit of jank in them. I do want those things said before I talk about it just so that everyone knows my stances and possible biases. So therefore, how was it?

It was one hell of a wild ride of a game! From the beginning to that end with the nice surprise (more on that in a second), I was really enjoying the game quite a lot. Its not a perfect experience, but there are far more positives than negatives for me.

First off, fans of the Disaster Report/ZZT series are of course going to feel at home here. This game really does feel exactly like those games do. Its already been said by one other in this thread that the game feels like a PS2 game in 2017. That is definitely true, and to be honest, its not a bad thing like some might feel. This game plays just like an action game of its type from that era. It even has many of the mainstays from that time like
the simple stealth level or the very short mech piloting part.
It can be a very fun and enjoyable experience. While of course there have been great advances in the genre since those days, those old games are still quite fun today. And for me and many others so far "Shadow" has recaptured that feeling of that era of gaming.

The big positives, lets go on and state them. Whenever you come face to face with a encounter of a shadow battle, the scale is well represented. Finding the right way to escape is fun, although the few times you will die in the game will come on cheap deaths from these parts. However it should be stressed, the game is not really challenging at all. The difficultly feels right although some might want it to be a bit harder. Still its great going through the levels, finding the ways to escape, doing little side quests, and talking to some NPCs. Although it would've been nice if the stages had been bigger or a little longer. Some stages felt a little shorter than I would've wanted.

The next positive, the dialogue choice system is fantastic. From the beginning where you choose your character and how you are related to the heroine in the story you are given so many options at every dialogue choice to further long the story. While sometimes its only a few choices, many times it can be as much as eight or even more if I remember correctly. And you really have a tough time choosing cause there are many choices you want to make. Some are more serious, and of course some are downright hilarious. This really gives you a chance to really shape the games story in a unique way. Instead of everything just laid out for you by the creators, they give a nice level of control that makes each persons play through possibly more unique than others.

Which brings me to the next big point, the game is hilarious at times! In fact the entire game and its story can be quite bonkers for the most point. There are moments where I literally was laughing out loud, and others where my mouth was open wide in surprise at how silly the situation was. For example stage 5
where your characters all run in to a Go Go Curry restaurant while the battle between Eva 01 and the fourth angel is happening and you just sit back relax and have a giant curry. I mean theres a giant freaking battle happening on the streets outside, but no lets just be all smiles and eat curry.
Not to mention the very next stage
has you all of sudden wake up in a boat in the middle of the ocean with no idea how you got there!
And it just keeps going and going. By the time you come to the icing on the cake, stage 16
and the chance you can make a choice between choosing a motor bike or a horse to try to rush to your next destination, you just are just always give more and more moments that make you laugh and smile.
Its just a great part of the game. Sure its cool to have a serious type title too, but this game gets it right with the silliness. But the times when the story gets a little serious are nice little touches.

Now we should talk about the negatives. There are many due to the jankyness of the game. Normally I don't care about frame rate an while it didn't bug me too much, the game on the regular PS4 has moments where the frame rate is unbelievably bad. Even with the huge patch there are still many scenes with this problem. I hope another patch will come out to help that because honestly it needs to be fixed. Its certainly not going to help the games sales as word of mouth spreads how bad it can be. It also effects the QTE timing a bit which can be a bit of an issue at times. Most of my deaths came from timing issues with it. Also at times it can be a bit hard to see the battles since you have to focus on escape, but thats to be expected. Other than that, like I said before the game isn't too long or hard. I don't mind the difficulty at all but I would've liked to have seen more expanded levels or escape situations.

Still even with the issues, I had a great time with the game. I absolutely will be playing this game more and going for the platinum. The game made me smile so many times. Especially in the last stage where
Ultra Seven showed up which was something I hoped to see.
An extremely fun game, but one that will be very hit or miss for some. If you loved Disaster Report, you're going to love this I'm sure. Its the perfect game to have for fans of the series while they wait for 4 to finally arrive. Also its a good title if you love classic PS2 action games of the same feel. However if you have problems with those games, or if technical issues it may be a miss. But if you are willing to give it a shot you may end up enjoy it.

In the end, its a fun game for me. Not only did it remind me of the old disaster report games, the jank combined with the silliness and fun reminded me of when I played Deadly Premonition the first time. I had similar feelings at times playing this game. Im absolutely looking forward to my second play through to try different dialogue choices and try to get many of the extra little scenes in the game. Great game. I really hope it does well for Granzella, and I hope Westerners get to enjoy it.

Sakura

My main gripe with the game is the lack of replayability. The game does not have multiple endings, unlike the ZZT series. As such, the decisions you make don't really have any impact on the story. In ZZT 3 for example aside from leading to different endings, the types of decisions you made changed the personality of your character over time. The marketing for the game likes to make it seem like you have so much freedom, you can choose whether your protagonist is a student, salaryman, etc. You can choose the relationship between the heroine and the protagonist.
But what 'origin' you chose for your protagonist never comes up anywhere in the game, and the relationship between the heroine and you is entirely irrelevant, because at the end of the game you find you never really had any sort of relationship in the first place.
If you just want to play a game with lots of funny dialogue options, and where Ultraman battles in the background as you try to escape the carnage, then this game might be for you (if you can tolerate the performance). But for such a high price point for an 8 hour~ game that doesn't have much in the way of replayability (items and costumes you acquire/buy don't even carry over), I have a hard time recommending it to someone who isn't already a big fan.
The twist at the end though did catch me off guard. I was worried they were never going to explain how you got on that boat.
I hope the game sells well though because I want more ZZT.

Ah the “Living in Japan” simulator.

I’ve been following this game for a long time and as a fan of literally as these franchises I really want it.

But my Japanese knowledge besides “watashi wa doragon” is almost zero so probably gonna wait for a Asia release in English.

Don't get your hopes too high, when it slows down, it slows down, even on a Pro with Boost Mode on!

Oh yeah, I don't doubt it still has bad performance issues, I'm just glad to hear it wasn't crashing constantly!

Also, really loving the positive impressions, it certainly sounds like I'll be enjoying this one a great deal, and I'm not even bothered that the game is on the shorter side. I've got too many games to get through (Mario next week...) so a 10ish hour game is the perfect length for me.

Top Bottom