• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Local multiplayer gaming on the Switch, an in-depth and updated recommendation list!

68srjSI.png
Jackbox Party Pack 1/2/3 (Fully Recommended)
The Jackbox series can be enjoyed with all sorts of players. Age, skill level, none of that comes into play here and I can say with full confidence that all of these games are a must have for any local multiplayer gamer. All three of these packs have at least one must have game and is worth the purchase. I recommended getting 2 and/or 3 first, and getting the first one last. Also, you definitely have enough controllers for everyone to play as the game uses a smart device/computer for each player.
(Single Player: There is basically almost nothing to do on your own).

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Fully Recommended)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is packed with content. With 48 tracks and a robust battle mode, you will always be coming back for more. This version is extremely beginner friendly as the lesser skilled players can turn on assisted steering, and fear not, this does not give them an advantage at all. It’s literally there so your grandparents or young sibling can play, and it does that job perfectly.
(Single Player: Fully Recommended if you will be playing online, otherwise it all comes down to how much you like Mario Kart).

Super Bomberman R (Fully Recommended)
Ignore the reviews and ignore them good. This is as good as classic Bomberman gets. You have 20 courses to choose from, a lot of them providing a twist never before seen in a Bomberman game. Different characters and their different abilities also add a lot of variety. It can be played for up to 8 players, and the stages increase in size so it’s never too chaotic. I recommend turning off revenge mode especially if you are playing with a lot of people. If you have lesser skilled players, the game has team mode so you can put two players on the same team. For example, if there are 6 of you where 4 of you are confident and 2 are not, why not try doing teams where the 4 players are in their own individual teams and then the 2 that are less confident are teamed up. There is a bit of a learning curve but with a little bit of patience and perhaps using team mode wisely, you’ll all be having a blast!
(Single Player: The campaign is short but fun and the cut-scenes have a lot of love put into them. Worth a play through).

Overcooked (Highly/Fully Recommended)
This one could possibly be the one on the list that gets everyone pumped up the most! The game is completely co-op by nature (there is also a competitive mode but no one wants to play that, come on), as you all either win or lose together. Also, the game is designed in such a clever way that everyone has to contribute at least a little bit if you want to achieve a good score. You can set your own difficulty depending on the people you are playing with by either simply trying to pass the stage or by going for 2, or even 3 stars! The game is about prepping, cooking and serving dishes according to what has been ordered, but don’t let that make you scroll down so fast… it is not your average cooking game! I highly recommend this game as controls might be a little tricky for younger or older players, but for a group of hardcore or even casual gamers, it is fully recommended.
(Single Player: Avoid. You have to control two characters at once by switching through them, not fun at all).

Use Your Words (Highly/Fully Recommended)
Let me start off by saying that if you aren’t bothered about a game being a bit light on content, and you are more worried about the experience it gives then this game is fully recommended. The only reason I’ve put it down as highly recommended is because it only has one mode to play, and this mode is split into four sections. However, these sections are all great fun and provide even more laughs than most of the Jackbox Party games! Also, by light on content I certainly don’t mean you will see repeats of the prompts given. The game is rich on content there. The game is about writing amusing subtitles/headlines/sentences to different prompts and then voting for your favourite. It’s very unique as two of these modes are writing to a foreign movie and to a newspaper headline, and these always turn out to be hilarious. Just like the Jackbox games, these are played with your devices and anyone with any skill level can play.
(Single Player: Non-existent).

Puyo Puyo Tetris (Highly/Fully Recommended)
Puyo Puyo Tetris has an amazing multiplayer mode that can be played free for all or with teams. You can choose to play just Puyo, just Tetris, a mode where it swaps between the two or even a mode where it combines the two! There are also a few other fun modes to try out. This game is fully recommended if all players are around a similar skill level on at least one of the modes. Other than that it is highly recommended as a skill gap in these type of games can really show as there is no direct contact between players, so if someone has a much lower skill level than someone else, there probably isn’t much they can do. That’s where teams, handicaps, and items come in. Also, both Puyo and Tetris is easy to learn (but hard to master) so two completely casual players will have a blast playing against each other.
(Single Player: A robust story mode with many challenges, fully recommended for people who like puzzle games of any kind).

Death Squared (Highly/Fully Recommended)
Death Squared again is a completely team based game which means someone with a lower skill level will not be left out and will be needed to play and complete the level. The game is very simple to control so any type of player can play, however it can get quite complex very quickly, and people with a lower attention span may lose interest quicker than others. Even then, they are part of a team and can simply follow instructions and have fun. If all players are fully engaged and are equally taking part in the decision making then this game is fully recommended, otherwise it is highly recommended. The aim of the game is to get all four squares to the goal, but everyone must move carefully and in a certain way and certain timing to open paths for others and not accidentally kill them.
(Single Player: Avoid, have to switch between characters).

Arms (Highly Recommended)
Arms does have a 2 v 2 mode, but personally I don’t recommend this mode. If you do have 4 people available, I recommend doing 1 v 1 and taking turns while keeping score like a mini-league, or perhaps doing winner stays on until they get a certain number of wins. Arms is great fun and the controls are quite easy as you can use motion controls or buttons depending on your tastes. However, if someone does have more experience than someone else, then they will win almost all of the time as granted, it is a fighting game. This game is great fun when two players of similar skill levels are playing against each other, and can get pretty hype pretty quickly. The characters are all vastly different and great fun to use. I highly recommend it.
(Single Player: Fully recommended if you will be playing online, otherwise not much content but AI can be (annoyingly) challenging).

Namco Museum (Highly Recommended)
This is an interesting one. It comes with 10 arcade games, and a few of them are extremely iconic in that most people will recognise Pac-Man and Galaga. These arcade games can be played multiplayer through taking turns, which can get competitive between gamers of similar skill levels. Yes, it’s arguable that you can do this with every game out there, but these games acknowledge it on the screen and are designed to be competitive between players. There are also a couple of games in there that can be played simultaneously. However, the meat of the multiplayer experience comes from Pac-Man Vs. It is a very unique experience (mostly comparable to Mario Chase in Nintendo Land, but I’d say more fun). As far as multiplayer is concerned, if you know what you are paying for then I highly recommend this game.
(Single Player: Fully recommended if you are into arcade games and achieving high scores).

Rocket Fist (Highly Recommended)
Rocket Fist is one of those games where there is one mode and one thing to do. Kind of like Bomberman in that sense, except Bomberman gets away with it more as the depth of the gameplay is bigger than anything like it. Rocket fist is a very unique game and is great fun, easy to control and can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone. You have one fist that you can throw, and once you throw it you must get it or someone else’s back before you can throw it again. The game does have two different ways to play (score or stock) and both of these modes add a different feeling and is a great change of pace. This game is surprisingly fun, polished, and highly recommended. Just keep in mind it is to be enjoyed in short bursts.
(Single Player: Has a fun single player mode that is worth a play).

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Highly Recommended)
Although this rating is based off the multiplayer and not the single player experience, as the game allows you to play the whole Shovel Knight campaign in multiplayer, the fun you have does indeed depend on the same factor as the single player experience, and needless to say, Shovel Knight is great fun. In the co-op mode (2 players only) you can play the whole campaign together. Shovel Knight gets tough for people who are not very good at platformers, and unlike something like New Super Mario Brothers a good player cannot just carry you through the level as parts of a level where the screen has to scroll you both must move. This game is highly recommended if you can get someone decent enough to play with you.
(Single Player: Yes. Yes. Yes.)

1-2 Switch (Recommended/Highly Recommended)
1-2 Switch is a compilation of micro/mini games that can be played 1v1. However, the game easily lends itself to a group setting as the joycons can easily be passed around and there are no options to fiddle around with. The games themselves are quite hit or miss, but since there is a good amount of them, there is bound to be at least a handful that your group will enjoy. If you only play with hardcore gamers then this game is only recommended as a silly thing to do but if you do play with lesser skilled gamers or in a party setting then it is highly recommended.
(Single Player: Avoid completely).

Snipperclips (Recommended/Highly Recommended)
Snipperclips does have a 4 player mode, but it is light on content compared to the 2 player mode. It is a fun game that is easy to pick up and play, and will probably catch the interest of non-gamers even more easily than gamers themselves. However, the controls can sometimes get frustrating as you have to be very precise, but if the person you’re playing with is stubborn then this shouldn’t be a problem! The game is all about cutting each other into the correct shape to carry out certain tasks and is great fun and provides many laughs the first times you play it. After you’ve seen it all though, there isn’t much more enjoyment to be had. It’s more of a game to show off to others than to constantly have fun with yourself. It does have a few competitive 4 player mini-game type modes and these are very welcome, but they do feel a little rushed and not much point in playing them. Whether this game is recommended or highly recommended I feel is pot luck on how much the person you play with will like it. If they can try it out first that would be even better.
(Single Player: Avoid completely).

Astro Duel Deluxe (Recommended)
Comparable mostly to Rocket Fist, Astro Duel Deluxe is another multiplayer game where there is one objective, and there is not much variety to that as there is no character choice so the experience will largely feel similar. The difference is, it’s slightly less fun. The controls are like asteroids as you control your triangular ship in space being able to turn 360 degrees and try to shoot each other down while dodging asteroids and other obstacles. The twist of how you can’t shoot multiple times and have to wait for your bullets to come back adds some strategy to the game. This game is fun in short bursts, and if you don't mind these short bursts being quite short then this game is recommended. Can be played with upto 6 people which not many games offer at the moment.
(Single Player: Playing against bots is really no fun. Avoid)

Flip Wars (Not Recommended/Recommended)
Now, I know that is a very weird rating to give as it is a huge contradiction. The thing about this game is that it is quite well polished and the idea is good on paper. However, when you do start to play it, it really doesn’t feel that deep, and it feels repetitive quite quickly. However, there is a chance that some people may like it or find some enjoyment in it, as there are different stages to choose from with hazards which may possibly add some layer of strategy. The aim is to ground pound and change tiles into your colour. If timed correctly you can get others to fly off the screen, making it easier to change their colours into yours.
(Single Player: Game is even more boring to play against bots. Avoid).

Sonic Mania (Not Recommended)
Pitchforks down! This is a review of the multiplayer portion only. You can choose the Sonic & Tails option of the main game, which allows player 2 to control Tails… sort of. This is more of a novelty than anything as the player will constantly be going off screen and not having much impact, except for on boss fights where it is a nice way to help the main player out. The game does however include a competitive race mode where you can have a 2 player race on the single player stages you have beaten. This mode can be a fun diversion from the main game but I don’t recommend a purchase for this alone. If you like Sonic then you will already have this game and the multiplayer stuff is a welcomed bonus.
(Single Player: Fully recommended if you are a fan of Sonic. If not then you should still give it a try if you like 2D platformers).

De Mambo (Not Recommended)
De Mambo is a game that only uses one button to attack. The aim is to knock everyone off the screen. This sounds great at first, until you actually play the game. The controls are very floaty, the attacks don’t feel all that effective, the stages take a long time to get going, and it just doesn’t feel satisfying to play, whether you win or lose. There are a lot of stages to choose and play from, so if you are someone who has all of the above games and wants more, then feel free to download this and mess around on them.
(Single Player: Frustrating controls are still there but there is a single player mode and if you do end up getting this then there is some (frustrating) fun to be had).

Ultra Hyperball (Not Recommended)
This is literally a mini-game turned into a full game. The aim is to jump and keep the ball above your head in the air. There is a certain timing where if you jump at the right time the ball will go even higher. The aim is to get the ball as high as possible in a certain number of jumps. There is co-op play and also a 4 player mode, but there is no way you will be playing this game unless you’ve played all of the above multiple times.
(Single Player: Just as shallow as the multiplayer).

Pokken Tournament DX (Highly Recommended)
Finally boasting enough fighters to add great variety, and an option to play multiplayer on a single screen, Pokken feels even more like a traditional fighter and anyone that is into Pokemon will surely be intrigued and would want to give it a go. Team battles are also a welcome addition. If you want a fighting game in your collection and already have/don't want Arms, then you can't go wrong, but do be patient and find patient people to play with, as it can take a while to fully grasp the game.
(Single Player: There are daily challenges to do, and of course online play).

Astro Bears Party (Recommended/Highly Recommended)
Cute, simple fun. A little too simple? Well yes, but the fun is there and that's what matters. Astro Bears Party is effectively 3D Snake, and the choice of different characters with different stats adds a little strategy into the mix. Definitely a fun diversion that is worth checking out. Unfortunately it is low on content, whether it be levels or characters or music, but it will still have you coming back for more. The points system rewards you a little for finishing a round in 2nd or 3rd place which is very welcomed as everybody has something to aim for every round. More multiplayer games need to do this. It is highly recommended only if you don't mind the lack of content.
(Single Player: Very shallow but fun diversion from the multiplayer).

Please add "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime". It's one of the best co-op games around.

I can't buy everything that comes out instantly :p

Let us know what you think of it and what's so great about it! I'm not adding just the "best" games, I'm adding games I've bought/played, whatever they may be, no matter how good/bad they are. There's plenty of games missing.

hohoXD123

FIFA on switch was as awesome as I thought it'd be, spent the entire flight playing against my mate and forgetting that we were in a cramped budget airline seat for several hours. As you don't need split screen, I imagine having 4 people playing on the same switch to be pretty easy.

We got to late 20s and the solution was a bit cheap which meant we lost faith and desire to play.

I think to fully enjoy this game you just have to accept some cheap deaths and solutions. It would be annoying in a single player game but I feel in a multiplayer setting the game gets away with it.

FIFA on switch was as awesome as I thought it'd be, spent the entire flight playing against my mate and forgetting that we were in a cramped budget airline seat for several hours. As you don't need split screen, I imagine having 4 people playing on the same switch to be pretty easy.

It works just fine, but keep in mind that you will have to sit a little further back to allow four people to see, so make sure the two teams have kits that differ not just by colour but also by whether it has stripes or not.

Jackbox Party Pack 4 is coming out in about 10 days, it's an auto-include just because of how good the other Jackbox games are and this one seeming to continue the trend.

Jackbox Party Pack 4 is coming out in about 10 days, it's an auto-include just because of how good the other Jackbox games are and this one seeming to continue the trend.

I've watched videos on all the games included. The repeat is fibbage which is a winner and the other four games look really really good. I think JPP4 will be the best one.

atr0cious

Please add "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime". It's one of the best co-op games around.
Yes this. It's like a simplified version of the control scheme from affordable space adventures, tied to an immediately more engaging world with a little bit of a faster pace and just as much charm. Plus every mission is procedurally generated for fresh runs every time. It also supports single joycon controls.

Yes this. It's like a simplified version of the control scheme from affordable space adventures, tied to an immediately more engaging world with a little bit of a faster pace and just as much charm. Plus every mission is procedurally generated for fresh runs every time. It also supports single joycon controls.
Need to buy this.

atr0cious

Need to buy this.
If you have overcooked, this is your next game. Like overcooked, I think 3 people is the sweet spot between challenging and too easy. My girlfriend has asked to play this everyday since we got it. Every fight is like a scene from Star trek where you're rushing to different positions on the ship, moving the shield, timing the last second defense button to attack right when you're completely surrounded. You get upgrades to the ship and can unlock other ships and parts. It's already gotten so difficult on world one, we had to decide whether or not to leave prisoners and then left lol.

Single player also works really well, way better than overcooked's implementation, and I can see it being enjoyable as a single player game. Instead of a humanoid partner, you get to choose your space pet of dog, cat and more.

Some quick and dirty impressions:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Tumblestone are very very good. Conga Master Party is really fun and Ninja Shodown is enjoyable. I'll probably post detailed impressions next week.

jariw

Some quick and dirty impressions:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Tumblestone are very very good. Conga Master Party is really fun and Ninja Shodown is enjoyable. I'll probably post detailed impressions next week.

Yep, Tumblestone is really an eShop gem IMO. And in addition to the multiplayer vs modes (and great rubber band AI opponents), it has a really meaty single player campaign.

Didn't know that they were procedurally generated (probably since there is such clear level progression in the game). We're now on world 3 (the ice/snow world).

In addition to what's already been said about Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime:
* It has quite a few skill settings, so you can fine tune it to your current team's skill.
* Each of the 4 world ends with a boss battle.

Vidiot

It'd like to get Namco Museum to try out Pac man Vs. but $30 is too much considering the other games in the collection either don't interest me or I already own in other forms.

Mael

There's the demo of SquareEnix's Spelunker party too.
What a piece of shit this demo was.
Worst thing I've let touch my Switch so far.

I've got to try most of the Jackbox Pack 4 games during PAX West, aside from Monster Seeking Monster.

In my opinion, Party Pack 4 may be the best one yet! Day 1 when it releases!

I've got to try most of the Jackbox Pack 4 games during PAX West, aside from Monster Seeking Monster.

In my opinion, Party Pack 4 may be the best one yet! Day 1 when it releases!

Do you know how many of the JB PP4 games would be playable with 2 players? The last couple have been pretty disappointing in their 2 player offerings.

Wulver Blade is pretty fun so far and quite challenging. Old school brawler, some may not like the generated animations vs hand made but it's super smooth and looks great imo.

Do you know how many of the JB PP4 games would be playable with 2 players? The last couple have been pretty disappointing in their 2 player offerings.

Afraid this isn't going to be much better, as in the fourth pack, only Fibbage 3 is good for 2 players, everything else needs 3 players minimum.

Try to find situations where you can get more players if you can. The more the merrier when it comes to Jackbox.

KooopaKid

Banned
Great thread idea!

Perfect description. It's a brilliant fit for Switch. I fully recommand it.

On another note, I don't really recommand Death Squared. I don't consider it simultaneous multiplayer as it's super trial and error and each player has to move in sequence making it not very fun and punishing IMO.

redcrayon

Wulver Blade is pretty fun so far and quite challenging. Old school brawler, some may not like the generated animations vs hand made but it's super smooth and looks great imo.
I'm playing this right now, it's great, proper beefy challenge, struggling with the level 2 boss! Nice setting too, I like reading history.

I'm playing this right now, it's great, proper beefy challenge, struggling with the level 2 boss! Nice setting too, I like reading history.

I don't have unlimited money so for now I tend to mostly avoid games that are only 2 player rather than 4 :( or more so impressions like this are great for the topic.

Tumblestone (Highly/Fully Recommended)
Tumblestone is a match 3 puzzle game. WAIT. COME BACK! It’s fun, addictive and not like your average puzzle game. The aim is to collect three blocks of the same colour, making them disappear. Clear the board first and you win, but be careful not to make the wrong move. There are a few fun 4 player modes and although I do rate Puyo Puyo Tetris higher in how fun it is, I can’t really justify giving this game of the same genre a lower grading as it is also very fun and polished. If you already have PPT and want another puzzle game to switch to once in a while, give this a go!
(Single Player: If you love single player puzzle games then you will love this. A nice story mode with many many levels and even an actual story).

Conga Master Party (Recommended)
I love this game. I don’t know why but I just do. It’s just so different and unusual and unique. Having said that, the 4 player is a bit too chaotic and the 2 player is a bit too slow so maybe 3 players will be the sweet spot. There are quite a few modes to play but it can get old fast and it’s more to mess around with really, but don’t be mistaken.. It’s fun! The game uses only two buttons to play (L and R) and the aim is to move (dance) your character around other characters on the board until their meter fills up, thus joining your conga. Your conga line gets longer as you play, making the game more fun as you go along as it becomes easier to gather even more people. Gather a certain number of people in time to win.
(Single Player: There are stages to unlock and it’s a fun little diversion. It can be challenging and satisfying when you are able to win).

Top Bottom