• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U may be renamed Wii Entertainment System and released on WiiWare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask most people though, heck, a lot of people in Wii threads noted parents or others who just refer to it as "the Nintendo." Yeah, Wii has gained a lot of recognition due to sales, but "Nintendo" is still a much bigger name.

They need to make a specific distinction in the mind of consumers between the Wii and the new system as to not confuse them. Wii Entertainment System sounds like it could be the long name for the Wii. Wii-U sounds like a new SKU almost.

I'm really not sure what they need to do anymore, or how it will turn out. Should be fun to watch though.

Uhhhh, no. The genius of the Wii was that it completely separated people's minds from the name of Nintendo. The name was simple and easy to remember and has been known as the Wii since it was released. Not "the Nintendo".

Floex

I really hope this turns out to be true. I mean if they stick with the Wii U, what does that even mean!

The WES, yep loving that

Diablos54

They tried naming the 3DS after the DS. All that got them was brand confusion. The wii name should be dropped, unless they go with wii 2.
That's because the 3DS was the 5th DS named system, while the new Wii will be the second. The Wii name SHOULD NOT be dropped unless Nintendo have lost their mind.

Anyone who thinks this is true has reasoning problems.

And shame on the person who posted this. It was debunked in the speculation thread minutes after being posted...

Seik

Banned
Makes sense. I was always shocked that they didn't release a Wii with a NES paint job and retro classic controller bundle and a few NES VC games installed.

nesrev4ow.jpg

6696926481524561.JPG

O_____O

This is pure genius. I'd pay for this wii so much, even if I already have one.

They should call it Super Wii Advanced Generation so that we could call it SWAG.

Is it really that implausible? REALLY?

Well, considering that people in this thread have already posted links to the actual website which indicates that it is actually the Japanese release date of Mario Party 9, AND the fact that everything on the website is in Japanese EXCEPT for the juicy "rumor," yes.

Also, which was indicated in one of the first replies in the thread, the icon is the WiiWare icon. Why would they use the WiiWare release date icon for a Wii U related reveal?

ALSO, this is a video game release date schedule, not a general Nintendo business schedule. Unless the information regarding the Wii U is an actual video game, this doesn't make any sense at all.

So yes, it really is that implausible. Just use your brains, people.

Tuck

That's because the 3DS was the 5th DS named system, while the new Wii will be the second. The Wii name SHOULD NOT be dropped unless Nintendo have lost their mind.

Go back and look at the E3 thread. See how many people thought it was just an add-on to the Wii at first.

Now consider it on a global scale.

Besides, does the Wii name have any traction any more? The system is no longer doing well, and many people got it - played Wii Sports a couple times - then never picked it back up. Calling it the Wii again will do nothing.

Go back and look at the E3 thread. See how many people thought it was just an add-on to the Wii at first.

Besides, does the Wii name have any traction any more? The system is no longer doing well, and many people got it - played Wii Sports a couple times - then never picked it back up. Calling it the Wii again will do nothing.
The system simply became saturated.

AngryMoth

You think they'd learn their lesson from the 3DS about not calling a new system something which makes it sound iterative. WES would be even worse than WiiU in this regard.

Also, which was indicated in one of the first replies in the thread, the icon is the WiiWare icon. Why would they use the WiiWare release date icon for a Wii U related reveal?

Not defending the rumor, just saying...

1. Only the poster presumed it had to be a Wii U thing. Arguably (again, not defending the actual rumor), you could say that would be the poster's fault, but it could still be a WiiWare-oriented thing to be announced, or something cross-compatible.
2. I wasn't familiar with how the Wii U is written out on Nintendo's Japanese website, and at quick glance you could read that second half as a weird way of writing "U" phonetically. (Looking at it more closely now, I get it's "Ware," and actually writing it out would've started with the Yu character, etc. Like I said, at quick glance.)
3. Looking at the schedule site now, there is no dedicated icon on the legend for Wii U yet. There might be one in the code for the classes, but nothing on the legend yet.

I'm really not confirming this fake. I'm just listing reasons why, at brief glance, some people (like myself) may have initially gone "OMFG wat."

I think we're all desperate for Nintendo to actually show a bit of their hand, and it seemed like the right time for a name to finally leak.

Edit: I feel like someone's going to make a point of it, I want to clarify that #2 isn't how I'd expect them to write it on the site. I would expect "Wii U", I just didn't know absolutely when the shot was posted.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

People thought it was an add-on to the Wii because Nintendo didn't show the console - just the controller. They will make it clear this time.
Besides, key point, you can't buy the controller seperately.

Triton55

Actually, this would be pretty cool if they pronounced it Wii-Ess almost like DS. It would communicate the dual screen idea in addition to harkening back to NES. It's fake though so *shrug*

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People thought it was an add-on to the Wii because Nintendo didn't show the console - just the controller. They will make it clear this time.
Besides, key point, you can't buy the controller seperately.

I thought they've already rectified it by making the controller buyable separately?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Read the thread, it was debunked as fake early on.

It's not the name that's implausible, but the picture in which it was "revealed". Debunked as fake.

No no, the name is implausible too. Even more confusing than Wii U.

Just call it the Wii 2. Seriously, how dumb can you be Nintendo? That way you can keep your stupid Wii branding while not creating any confusion as to what the product actually is.

In case there was any doubt:

I'm quite sad today.
I scheduled a PR email from Nintendo last night about sales data.
I'd been waiting all week.
The mail server failed at 11pm... so pissed.
Was hoping to catch people out with it...

Also I didn't edit the Nintendo site. I've replicated it ... well a small part of it anyway. I'm a developer I use code not firebug .. . Lol.
So shame on you presumptious He edited it with firebug GAF. Hence why I didn't post the address bar. I'm pissed as I actually posted the wrong screen

. The one I should of posted I actually translated the words after Entertainment System and put the Japanese in. Damn me.

I did say I was gonna try stuff.... and I have collected email addresses for about twenty different games companies. . . Ill have fun with those... especially as this poor attempt got this far.

Edit
So yeah. No firebug, no Java, no editing the Nintendo site, no Photoshop, technically all correct

There's your proud rumor-monger for you.

SykoTech

Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but they should just stick to Wii U.

Console names certainly aren't their strong suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom