• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

I'm loving this game but I'm so confused about how the game works.

Early Game spoiler
Grinded on my first stop to unlock the survivor rank, then moved into another one and I advanced two tracks a bit hunter and saint, then I hibernated again and lost everything somehow? I got no idea where to go now

Is there anything stopping you from hunting/hibernating hunting/hibernating ad infinitum to farm max rank?
No, that's kind of how you're meant to play. It's not really a forward momentum, keep moving to the next gate kind of game. Ideally, you want to stick around a region, venture out from your shelter and then come back, scout the area, etc.

Cyanity

Banned
No, that's kind of how you're meant to play. It's not really a forward momentum, keep moving to the next gate kind of game. Ideally, you want to stick around a region, venture out from your shelter and then come back, scout the area, etc.

Okay. I had a feeling. Will stick around the second shelter and try to farm my rank up instead of attempting to move forward then.

XaosWolf

Even with any frustration this game brings up I still find myself thinking about it. The world is just so intriguing.

I still can't see slugcat's nose as anything other than a mouth though. In my head SC's just going around with a gormless open-mouthed expression the whole time. =D

I'm loving this game but I'm so confused about how the game works.

Early Game spoiler
Grinded on my first stop to unlock the survivor rank, then moved into another one and I advanced two tracks a bit hunter and saint, then I hibernated again and lost everything somehow? I got no idea where to go now

Someone closer to their computer may need to verify all this but...
Anything past Survivor rank - such as Hunter and Saint - are basically just achievements for certain playstyles:

Hunter for eating nothing but meat (bats) and Saint for being a pacifist.

If you did something to break these playstyles then progress will reset.

As for where to go - just follow the yellow eye thing if you want to progress.
It'll point you towards where it wants you to go.

Did some tests with throwing. Seems like you always throw in the order of left hand, then right hand. That should be useful if you want to do a rock-spear combo.

You switch hands by double-tapping the Pick Up button

Yep, did the same. To be clear, I think it's the slugcat's right hand!

No, in fact that seems to be the way you were meant to play. Max rank gives you more time to explore before the rain happens.

Oh shit, really? Wee-Bey.gif
The thing is though that death is such a frequent occurrence that I'm not concerning myself with chasing ranks, until I find something I need it for, and am feeling ready to press in that direction. Interesting that higher ranks delay the rain, is that 100% confirmed? At least in the early game, I love this system and the way it makes you play. It could prove nerve-shredding as the game ramps up, though.

Even with any frustration this game brings up I still find myself thinking about it. The world is just so intriguing.

I still can't see slugcat's nose as anything other than a mouth though. In my head SC's just going around with a gormless open-mouthed expression the whole time. =D

lol your​ SC got the shallow end of the gene pool

And agreed, I wasn't expecting to get so drawn in last night, given my opening hour the night before was such a headfuck that I had to stop after an hour. But I just sank 2+ hours in without really blinking. It does take concentration though and after a while I needed to play Horizon just to experience a bit of carefree success!

Have anyone timed the rain? Start a new game, and use a stopwatch to know how much time you have until the next rain.

Though from what I'm reading, you would have to do the experiment with different ranks too.

Have anyone timed the rain? Start a new game, and use a stopwatch to know how much time you have until the next rain.

Though from what I'm reading, you would have to do the experiment with different ranks too.

Seems entirely random to me. Sometimes you have a lot of dots in the timer circle thing, sometimes you have only a few and it's not directly related to rank.

Danielsan

Still unable to stop thinking about this game. Last night's time with the game was great. Really can't wait to explore the next area later tonight.

I'm wondering about the passenger functionality. If I hit the button during hibernation it shows the area's I've opened up. Is this a fast travel option that allows you to warp back to previous areas? I still haven't dared to test it, too afraid to lose progress.

Minordeth

Neo Member
Still unable to stop thinking about this game. Last night's time with the game was great. Really can't wait to explore the next area later tonight.

I'm wondering about the passenger functionality. If I hit the button during hibernation it shows the area's I've opened up. Is this a fast travel option that allows you to warp back to previous areas? I still haven't dared to test it, too afraid to lose progress.

Yes, any previous hibernation chamber. Afaik, you only have one use per five rain cycles at survivor or above.

Danielsan

Yes, any previous hibernation chamber. Afaik, you only have one use per five rain cycles at survivor or above.
Cool! Might test it out at some point if I end up in a bind. Not sure which area is beyond the gate I quit at yesterday, but I would love to go back to the Industrial Zone at some point so I can veer in another direction. People in this thread mention the Garbage Wastes whereas I ended up in Shaded Citadel instead.

Mr. Robot

Is this how the rain is supposed to work?
Had a death, it was starting to rain and i was rushing to find a shelter and just before the heavy rain started i got killed by
the plant that looks like a pole
, i didnt get a death text, then the heavy rain started and i was expecting some game over text, but nothing happened, the rain screen just kept going for like 3 minutes, so i had to exit from the menu to keep playing.

Danielsan

Had a death, it was starting to rain and i was rushing to find a shelter and just before the heavy rain started i got killed by
, i didnt get a death text, then the heavy rain started and i was expecting some game over text, but nothing happened, the rain screen just kept going for like 3 minutes, so i had to exit from the menu to keep playing.
Seems like a bug. The press select to start over text should appear once you are killed / grabbed by an enemy.

Mandelbo

Found my second shelter at the Sh
oreline. I'm in a bit of a bind, though - the yellow guy seems to be telling me to swim across the ocean for what seems to be like two or three screens of nothing but water. I haven't got any means of hiding in the water and the enemies there are much more mobile than me. Am I on the right track? Doing this doesn't seem like a very smart idea and seems to revolve entirely around blind luck, but I'm not really sure where else I can go.

Mandelbo

Are you sure that they're
actually your enemies?

Well, they did bash me around, made me drop my light and caused me to drown, but
on my second try they didn't come near me at all, until I reached the other side, where they sort of helped me up, which was nice.

Edit: Is there something I'm supposed to do with the
blue girl creature? I got close and she did nothing, then I ate all her fireflies and now she's dead. That's not what I was meant to do, right?

DD

That moment when you hit the hibernation chamber exactly when the rain starts falling... (╯°□°)╯

I said in my first post that this game follows every formula that I hate, yet I can't stop thinking about it. I am at work but I want to be home playing it. :(

It's a f*ckin cult classic, I'm telling you! <3

Sorry, didn't see that. You can actually move ahead if the rank is higher. Did the game block you? Cause it shouldn't. :p

Also, the industrial complex is the right (and easiest) path. It's the one i took in the game.

Oh, I though that that was the hard path. I even though about calling you through FB, but decided not to bother you, lol. Thanks!

That moment when you hit the hibernation chamber exactly when the rain starts falling... (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;

I said in my first post that this game follows every formula that I hate, yet I can't stop thinking about it. I am at work but I want to be home playing it. :(

It's a f*ckin cult classic, I'm telling you! <3
That just happened to me yesterday. Forgot that I only had three food, so had a nasty surprise when I went back to my shelter because the rain was coming. Had to venture out as the rain was intensifying to grab that one bit of food and then make it back

DD

That just happened to me yesterday. Forgot that I only had three food, so had a nasty surprise when I went back to my shelter because the rain was coming. Had to venture out as the rain was intensifying to grab that one bit of food and then make it back

Did you make it? &#3232;o&#3232;

MUnited83

For you.
If i had to guess, the rain probably killed the plant just as it was about to kill you, and made you get stuck on a place you couldn't get away from but also safe from the rain.

The Hermit

I'm not usually one to criticize reviewers but reading that Destructoid review, and others, it's like many felt the game needed to let you explore endlessly, and because it doesn't, then that's a flaw. Rather than adjusting to this game's pace/structure. I mean, the Destructoid review basically says that if the game wants you to explore, why does it have the rain to stop you from exploring?

That's something that really bothers with reviewers is that if a mechanic in the game doesn't suit his expectations, therefore is a flaw.

Instead of adapting or understanding the idea, they want the game to change to his views. It's mindboggling.

It's OK to find that hard or not fun, but not broken.

Overall, this games reminds me of Heart of Darkness, a highly praised game that wasn't very nice to me at that time. Let's see if I can do better this time

Danielsan

Overall, this games reminds me of Heart of Darkness, a highly praised game that wasn't very nice to me at that time. Let's see if I can do better this time
Heh, I mentioned that earlier in the thread. Glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers that game. Heart of Darkness scarred me as a kid, but I returned to it later in life only to realize just how damn underappreciated that game is. Rain World gives me the same uneasy feeling that everything in the world is out to kill you.

Crispy75

I have no idea where I am. After a frustrating series of setbacks and grinds in Outskirts (hardly any bats left now), I went exploring in Industrial and finally FINALLY found shelter with one tick left on the rain-o-meter. I am a long way from anywhere that feels like home, and there are vultures. But my rank is maxed and I just got a Passage whatever that is. I need a good 20 minutes to calm down now.

And now I've spent my whole lunchbreak having my ass handed to me by pink, green, blue and white lizards. And vultures. Fat lot of good the scavengers were in the fight too. Not a bat or fruit in sight either :-/

I wonder, can you reach a point in the game where you are forever stuck, and it's impossible to advance?

If the food doesn't respawn, and you lose several ranks in a bad luck streak, how could you recover?

I suppose bats and fruits actually respawn, but they need a few (4-5?) rain cycles to do it. Otherwise you could be screwed and have to start a new game.

I wonder, can you reach a point in the game where you are forever stuck, and it's impossible to advance?

If the food doesn't respawn, and you lose several ranks in a bad luck streak, how could you recover?

I suppose bats and fruits actually respawn, but they need a few (4-5?) rain cycles to do it. Otherwise you could be screwed and have to start a new game.
This occurred to me too. It's why I've been really circumspect about eating food unnecessarily. Why bother if I'm doing trashy runs just to see what's out there?

Dev update
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback. Right now we're putting together lists and working out the details on how to adapt to the feedback. We're not aiming to make the game easy (maybe a little easier here and there) but to sort out some of the kinks that have come up as frustrating. I've already addressed a few commonly mentioned issues. For now the focus is on stuff that's pretty small for me as a programmer but with big impact on the experience, and I'm making my way through the short-term list of programming stuff at a brisk pace right now.

Apart from the short-term list, we have more long-term stuff, but want to get the most pressing things done first. Long story short, we hear you and are at the task! Updates as things move on!

Mandelbo

I've killed the
Blue Alien, and now I have a permanent light source! I got an achievement called "Stolen Enlightenment", the description of which implies that I could've done something else.
Now I think I'm gonna explore the Sh
oreline
a bit more, then maybe head back to the Drainage System to try and see what was behind that red gate at the bottom. Other than that, I'm a little stuck on where else to go next, since the Yellow Thing isn't guiding me anymore.

https://twitter.com/IG_Enthusiast/status/847470553564721153
Now that's a oh shit, run moment

===

This sums what I love about the aesthetic and architectural design. The contrast between the outside and interior, the shifting sunlight and shadows, the sense of depth

D8pTQqJl.jpg

===

Finally made it to Canopy

Might be mistaken, but are those
screaming laser worms
meant to be
vulture attractors
?

Kientin

Well, they did bash me around, made me drop my light and caused me to drown, but
on my second try they didn't come near me at all, until I reached the other side, where they sort of helped me up, which was nice.

Edit: Is there something I'm supposed to do with the
blue girl creature? I got close and she did nothing, then I ate all her fireflies and now she's dead. That's not what I was meant to do, right?

I haven't played since yesterday as I have been busy, but I'm around that point. I didn't kill her and I turned back and I'm getting indicators to find what seems more of the floating things around her. By probably helping her out I'll get the light source without killing her. And last time I rested after meeting her I got the "A New Friend" achievement. What you have probably done is the "evil" way that is faster but with consequences (observers stop guiding you).

Crispy75

I love how you can *see* the vulture thinking about where the slugcat went, looking there, not finding it, so searching elsewhere. Searching is not new AI behaviour but I've never seen it so lifelike

Mandelbo

I haven't played since yesterday as I have been busy, but I'm around that point. I didn't kill her and I turned back and I'm getting indicators to find what seems more of the floating things around her. By probably helping her out I'll get the light source without killing her. And last time I rested after meeting her I got the "A New Friend" achievement. What you have probably done is the "evil" way that is faster but with consequences (observers stop guiding you).

Aaaah, so that's what I could've done differently! Oops. Maybe next time!

What should I expect going in blind into this game?
You're at the bottom of the food chain, so the world is harsh and ruthless, but there are rules and patterns that can be learned through observation and experimentation and used to your advantage. The ecosystem acts independently of you, so there is an RNG factor of where creatures will be on the map, which means there can be some frustration in that regard.

Mr. Robot

If i had to guess, the rain probably killed the plant just as it was about to kill you, and made you get stuck on a place you couldn't get away from but also safe from the rain.

I think this is what happened since it dragged me to its base and i couldn,t do anything.
ill post a gif or video later of it.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
That's something that really bothers with reviewers is that if a mechanic in the game doesn't suit his expectations, therefore is a flaw.

Instead of adapting or understanding the idea, they want the game to change to his views. It's mindboggling.

It's OK to find that hard or not fun, but not broken.

To each their own of course, but I get the impression that some people who like to consider themselves Good At Videogames seem to get disproportionately bothered by Rain World because they aren't able to apply the skillset that they are accustomed to.

One of the major negative steam reviews we have right now is from a person who was a big fan of the "I wanna to be the guy" type games and their brand of player-centric, fast-twitch memorization-based difficulty. They saw that Rain World was being considered a very hard game, and perhaps understandably thought it would be right up their alley. But then when it didn't' cater to their brand of challenge, they just chalked it up to "the game mechanics are bad" rather than attempt to understand it on its level. Because they are Good At Videogames, and they are not good at this game, then obviously the game is broken, right?

Which is frustrating of course. We are very intentionally trying to introduce a new perspective; a world that is non player-centric. A space to inhabit rather than to "beat".

But perhaps as a natural counterpoint to the frustrated Good At Videogames crew, we're finding that a lot of people who don't consider themselves as such, who haven't proudly honed that Super Meat Boy speedrun skillset, are actually finding that they are doing very well at the game! And that is very rewarding.

Anyway! Of course we're not saying that our experimental game with its high difficulty level and novel mechanics is perfect just as is. As More_Badass mentioned in that quote from Joar, we have a bevy of minor patches coming up to smooth out some of the rough edges and address some of the more common frustrations, as well as some larger updates on the list. We've spent 6 long years working on Rain World. We believe in this game 100% and are going to fight for it all the way. Thanks to all of you! <3

DD

To each their own of course, but I get the impression that some people who like to consider themselves Good At Videogames seem to get disproportionately bothered by Rain World because they aren't able to apply the skillset that they are accustomed to.

One of the major negative steam reviews we have right now is from a person who was a big fan of the "I wanna to be the guy" type games and their brand of player-centric, fast-twitch memorization-based difficulty. They saw that Rain World was being considered a very hard game, and perhaps understandably thought it would be right up their alley. But then when it didn't' cater to their brand of challenge, they just chalked it up to "the game mechanics are bad" rather than attempt to understand it on its level. Because they are Good At Videogames, and they are not good at this game, then obviously the game is broken, right?

Which is frustrating of course. We are very intentionally trying to introduce a new perspective; a world that is non player-centric. A space to inhabit rather than to "beat".

But perhaps as a natural counterpoint to the frustrated Good At Videogames crew, we're finding that a lot of people who don't consider themselves as such, who haven't proudly honed that Super Meat Boy speedrun skillset, are actually finding that they are doing very well at the game! And that is very rewarding.

Anyway! Of course we're not saying that our experimental game with its high difficulty level and novel mechanics is perfect just as is. As More_Badass mentioned in that quote from Joar, we have a bevy of minor patches coming up to smooth out some of the rough edges and address some of the more common frustrations, as well as some larger updates on the list. We've spent 6 long years working on Rain World. We believe in this game 100% and are going to fight for it all the way. Thanks to all of you! <3

I'm just 2 hours into the game, but that's seems to be my experience so far.

And BTW, I f*ckin hate SMB. :p

Mandelbo

God the Fil
tration System
is claustrophobic as fuck and Sub
terranean
's creatures are the stuff of nightmares - you've got
huge millipedes, the regular horrifying tentacle monsters AND fucking knife birds too
... I'm back down to rank 0 now, so I'm genuinely debating whether to turn back now and go somewhere else, but where to? I *have* got a passage saved up so I could just warp somewhere, but I don't want to waste it either...

I noticed this a lot with the Souls games at first. They're nowhere near as hard as people were complaining they were, but they require a very different mindset and skillset than most hard games so they were demolishing people who thought they were really good at games. In particular, they're slower paced than most action games and reward defensive play. Of course, now that Souls games are blockbuster sellers and they've made 5 of them, people know what to expect so you hear far fewer complaints.

XaosWolf

There's frustrations here for sure (I hope there's a fix incoming for making slugcat a little more visible underwater if I'm expected to swim) but despite them I'm glad we have stuff that goes against the norm. And so close to each other too!

Snake Pass is another experimental sort of game that comes more from it's unconventional protagonist.

Nier Automata is a mish-mash of RPG, Platinum action and bullet hell that makes it such a joy to play.

And for Rain World I'm just surprised (okay, not that surprised) that people are being extremely harsh on it without spending time to look at what the game actually offers.

The AI alone should be praised and the fact it's not being picked up on indicates that there is still no want for opponents that think any smarter than finding cover and shooting at the player.

Reviewers who compared it to certain games that already exist are giving people the wrong impressions from the get-go. And most of those mentioned has you as the hero which defeats the things and becomes a badass.

Slugcat is lower rung on the food chain, so can't be compared to the usual games and their heroes. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that Rain World's gameplay is akin to is the Amnesia franchise: games in which you have no power over the monsters and can do nothing but watch and wait for them to leave. Your only means of active defence being throwing stuff at or past enemies to get them to slow down or move elsewhere.

Not sure where I'm going with this other than people need to not be so quick to judge a game by another game's (or even genre's) standards.

I love Rain World's uniqueness. And I've loved watching it and it's creatures grow over the years in blogs and gifs.

Those vultures can get fucked tho

Cyanity

Banned
Just FYI, the devs confirmed on the steam discussion forum that food DOES respawn after so many cycles
5 I think

100% agreed. I don't find the game difficult at all (yet). Frustrating and unfair? Maybe, but not difficult. People need to learn to avoid the other creatures, not try to jump over them and kill them.

It's like when people complained because LBP didn't control like SMB, it didn't need to be, it was designed to be played in a completely different way.

Just FYI, the devs confirmed on the steam discussion forum that food DOES respawn after so many cycles
5 I think

It absolutely does, I think it spawns like one new blue fruit per cycle, and bat nests replenish after a while. You just need to leave them a lot for a bit so the population can grow again.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This occurred to me too. It's why I've been really circumspect about eating food unnecessarily. Why bother if I'm doing trashy runs just to see what's out there?

5 I think

Good to know! Yeah, scouting and dying a bunch while planning out a route in a new area, then making your run to rank up after the food spots have respawned, seems to be the way to go.

Good way to take the edge off those Kaizo Mario moments.

RPS did a big article showing the creatures complete with GIFs, little descriptions, and tips. Spoilers of course, although it's mostly stuff you've encountered in the early regions. There are spoilers about their behaviors and how to deal with them though
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/30/the-deadly-creatures-of-rain-world-a-bestiary-in-gifs/
Surviving day-to-day in its brutal ecosystem can be an unfair slog, not to mention cursed with janky controls. Yet it's also a stunning depiction of a harsh new world, with a host of spine-chilling, adorable, and wondrous wildlife. Here's an incomplete collection of some of the animals and plantlife I've encountered, often resulting in a quick and painful death, all presented in the perfect format: GIF.

Top Bottom