• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA holding live conf on PS4 today at Morgan Stanley tech conf [Up: Summary in OP]

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's so obvious now that next gen development will be very expensive.

Not good for the industry.

5-10% nominal increase over last generation, inflation adjusted may cost less than before.

That's what happens when you have straightforward architectures that are similar across platforms (PC, Xbox, PS). The massive increase in productivity that EA is alluding to is huge. We're going to see so much proper software development with proper code reuse, and in the end a lot more games/content than before when developers fought PS3's Cell. x86 has been around for ages.

By the way, guess what $70 in 2013 is worth in 2005? $60. It's the same cost as before. If you don't buy day 1, continue to not buy day one. The real cost is the same as before.

If next gen games really cost $70 then I will wait 4 or 5 years before I buy the NextBox / PS4.

I'll just stick with my 360. I have over 100 games I have yet to play for it. I'm in no rush to buy a next gen console if they're going to rape us with no used games and always online.

This why I think there is a good chance both PS4/720 will flop.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This why I think there is a good chance both PS4/720 will flop.

The business cycle of consoles has the vast majority of people not being early adopters. This isn't a new thing.

I boxed up my 360/PS3/Wii years ago because I'm completely tired of the limitations of these machines. If you're concerned about the cost of games, then Steam is your only choice. I just played Trine 2 and Sleeping Dogs, each were dirt cheap.

scitek

By the way, guess what $70 in 2013 is worth in 2005? $60. It's the same cost as before.

Yeah, the problem with that, though, is that a lot of people are still making the same amount of money that they were in 2005. Inflation's gone up while a lot of wages have not.

I love how everyone is saying they are out if games are $70. Everyone is going to crack and buy them. You're gonna see that Shiny new Battlefield 4 and you are going to buy it even if it was $80.

Once EA prices games at $69 so will everyone else. Where you gonna go?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I love how everyone is saying they are out if games are $70. Everyone is going to crack and buy them. You're gonna see that Shiny new Battlefield 4 and you are going to buy it even if it was $80.

The second hand shelves, bargain bins, PC shelves. Just to name a few.

NewFresh

I stopped buying games day one when they hit $59.99, no reason for me to start when they hit $69.99. You're assertion is not as broad as you might think. Waiting for a game to drop in price is where people can go, even if it releases at $70 they can wait for a sale or even stick to used games entirely.

Are their people who will pay $70? Yes. Are their more options than buy at $70 or don't buy at all? Yes as well.

Sorral

70 bucks for new games? it better not be a trend and only at the start of the generation or something...

I know I will not buy the games at such prices and will wait every single time until they drop worse than I do now(which is already waiting until a price drop happens unless I really want a pre-order bonus or a game like Dark Souls). I got a huge backlog to go through anyway.

I hardly buy games at 59.99 right now as it is. Too many games to play and it is a waste of money to buy it at that price for me because I know I won't get to playing it unless I know I will skip all my other games for it(Dark souls, a coop game with a friend, GoW:A)

Oh it makes sense. MS' devkit was more powerful than the Sony one. So devs produced better looking games on Durango so far. So before the release of both consoles, nextbox games will look better in presentations because devs had better hardware with the Durango devkit. After the launch Sony will beat the nextbox because specs of the final ps4 kit are much better than its devkit.

Which is more than reasonable, it's his claim of games undergoing a noticeable downgrade that doesn't make any sense.

Developers are developing toward a final specification. Sure, games might look better than what we've seen on PS4 thus far, but they won't magically be downgraded before release.

This is part of his post that makes no sense. Everyone accepts that PS4 games will look better once developers access the extra ram,etc, but where does the downgrading for next xbox games come from?

I can't help but feel he made a bullshit claim to see people argue about it back and forth. Utterly pathetic if that's the case, to think I took him seriously at one point.

Joke's certainly on me.

Quasar

Building that gaming PC is an expense most console gamers simply cannot afford up front.

I guess that depends on what their PC is currently. For me...the only difference between a non gaming and gaming PC is just the graphics card. So for many, people would just need to buy a graphics card.

Of course if your only PC is a non gaming laptop, that makes it much harder.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Building that gaming PC is an expense most console gamers simply cannot afford up front.

it's always a value issue. More games on PC (at 10-20$) + 30 years of back catalogue or 12 new games on a console at 60-70$ per copy? What you spend on hardware you'll save on software.

it's always a value issue. More games on PC (at 10-20$) + 30 years of back catalogue or 12 new games on a console at 60-70$ per copy? What you spend on hardware you'll save on software.

Tens of millions of console gamers out there live hand to mouth and don't manage their finances that way. Our economy blows.

I guess that depends on what their PC is currently. For me...the only difference between a non gaming and gaming PC is just the graphics card. So for many, people would just need to buy a graphics card.

The vast majority of PCs out there aren't going to keep up with the PS4 even if you drop a $1000 graphics card in them.

SpecX

I'm cool with a $70 price point, any higher would be too much for me though.

This is what everyone said last gen when they announced games would be priced at $60. My purchases at game launches really did slow down due to the price increase and I can see the same happening if this gen brings out $70 titles. This will only increase immediate price drops months after a game releases and people waiting longer to get those since they know the price will drop.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

I built an upper-midrange gaming rig for around 500 euro late 2007. That included everthing from PSU to casing, including peripherals. 2 years ago, my GFX-card busted, replaced it with a 180 euro new one, again, upper mid-range.

That's a grant total of 680 euro and the machine still reigns supreme in the graphics department, compared to my PS3. Which I had to replace last year. 600 euro in march 2007, plus 230 euro last year for the replacement.

Exactly, which one of the two was the expensive hobby again?

Karak

So what do you say to this

LINK

Oh absolutely I fess up to that. I was informed very clearly that it was even though that was months ago now. But that is exactly what was reported, and it looks like that was the going impression behind the scenes until changes occurred. The difference I think is that I have always been SUPER clear about my source's usual data type and since he was right so many times(usually smaller dates and times and such) I had no problem posting what I heard.
I also have no problems answering for that claim. It was my fault for pushing it despite not having a white sheet in my hand with exact specs. Totally on me.

There was obvious fishing for data by by certain people on PMs and I had no problem passing it on nor do I like to sit on the top of a pile and crow that I got new news. I shared what I had, on PM's to another poster here. Outside of PM's I kept even more safe by giving a 5-10% difference in power back then.

Back on track. I have to agree that I am a bit nervous that game development will be more expensive but I just don't see it being 10.00 a game more expensive:( That's a big hit.

Really curious as to when EA will reveal Battlefield.

Next Xbox conference or sooner?
If they do their own this HAS to be the most separate events for a launch ever.

Top Bottom