• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nurse at Naval Hospital Taking Racist Photos with Newborns

orava

As someone who has endured actual racism on a consistent basis the whole let's not say anything until we are 110% is actually insulting because it means POC will never be able to validate their experience

There are people in here who obviously don't give a shot about the babies but are just angry someone got called a racist. it's typical

There are people here who want to make this look like racist thing no matter what. Using horrible case like this as a tool to support their views is insane.

Surfinn

They both separate "a baby" and "a newborn," implying multiple. In addition, the child doesn't exactly look black...

I say this knowing I was born light as fuck. But the baby in those images could actually be any race at all. There is, as it happens, no evidence of anything regarding skin color. At the moment.

No, they "a baby" is the description specifically for the video, whereas the "newborns" refers to the multiple pictures taken (not the same act)

That's the way I understand it.

Apologies, any links that specify that the baby is a person of color.

There is no confirmation that the baby is a person of color, no. Not from what I can find. Sure doesn't look like a non-POC baby to me but yeah we do need confirmation.

Kreed

So racism as a motivator does matter. Why did you argue it didn't? I was very specific in my questions and they relate specifically to this incident. I clearly asked why you would prefer racism were present over racism not being present, and you went on to argue that didn't matter.

I don't know if you are circling toward a more coherent position or not just yet but don't frame this as if I'm the unreasonable one.

This is why I said to "dial it back" a couple of posts ago and not attempt to turn this into a bigger discussion that didn't need to be had. I have been specifically talking about my opinion and my own disgust on this specific story in regards to these two nurses mistreating babies and my "disappointment" in posters being more concerned about talking about the racism angle vs also being disgusted. In my personal opinion, these disgusting actions specific to this story (flipping off babies, calling babies mini satans, making babies dance to hip hop on Snapchat) are just as disgusting regardless of what ethnicity the babies are or what ("realistically" based on what we know from the story) motivated the nurses to do it. Regardless of how you feel in regards to this being racism or not, every "decent" poster IMO should be disgusted by this to the point where racism arguments shouldn't even need to happen in this thread or at least not show up within the first two pages. Legally, overall narrative wise, etc... whether these women were motivated by race definitely matters, but IMO the act of calling a baby mini satan is fucked up regardless of if the women were in the KKK or "have Black friends" and doesn't make the actions themselves better or worse.

Lubricus

Hopefully they will lose their nursing license or have it suspended. Then they can peel potatoes in the kitchen for the rest of their enlistment.
Whatever state issued their license has ethical as well as legal reasons to do so. Patient abuse is a very serious infraction of the nursing license terms.

What the fucking shit.

Mad at myself for chuckling slightly at the idea of a racist white woman making a black newborn baby dance to hip hop music.

What?! Lol no.

I was a corpsman and corpsman are enlisted, not officers. You do something like this, and the military will kick you out with a dishonorable discharge.

Your life is over at that point.

I hope you are right. If these are indeed newborn children, the punishment isn't severe enough.

andthebeatgoeson

All newborn babies look pretty much like a tomato. Sure they might have been racists but isn't "just" abusing babies horrible and newsworthy enough?
She is from Liberaltopia, Alabama so i can understand why people give her the benefit of the doubt. I mean, who hasn't become a fucking nurse or works in healthcare and gives a finger to a newborn baby? Everybody is doing it. As far as I'm concerned, her motives are beyond reproach and we should assume the best about her. She's earned it.

She is from Liberaltopia, Alabama so i can understand why people give her the benefit of the doubt. I mean, who hasn't become a fucking nurse or works in healthcare and gives a finger to a newborn baby? Everybody is doing it. As far as I'm concerned, her motives are beyond reproach and we should assume the best about her. She's earned it.

I think the point is that any facts about this story are despicable and sad enough as it is.

kvothe

No shit Sherlock. Why do you think the people cupsble made a snap chat title little Satan's with the babies dancing to rap music?

What on earth sort of message/portrayal do you think they were going for even if they were white.

But yes let's continue this paper thin circus.

If the babies were white, it's a very different story. You can argue that making a white baby dance to rap music is still racist, but it's a much more abstracted concept of racism than if you did the same thing to a black baby. The mini satans comment when applied to white babies has no racial element (unless you consider the "white devil" concept I suppose, but not racist against black people).

There are people here who want to make this look like racist thing no matter what. Using horrible case like this as a tool to support their views is insane.

The level of dehumanisation has all the hallmarks of your typical anti-Black racist. The hip hop shit is a massive red flag to me,along with making an infant dance to it.
We had a case of this a year ago with a White man posting pictures on social media of a Black coworker's child with disparaging, dehumanising text about the kid.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Dehumanized even as infants. We don’t have a fucking chance. From the cradle to the grave we are treated like chattel. It’s really demoralizing and depressing.

They’re babies. You don’t treat babies like less than animals.

I hate these people, and everyone like them. I’m also side eyeing the fuck out of the people that make excuses for people like this, thus allowing their shitty world view to go unchecked.

Infuriating.

Also, it’s anecdotal, but when I was born, I was pale skinned, with blond hair and blue eyes. I’m black. As I got older, my hair and eye color darkened, as did my skin color (I was still “high yellow” until I was about 7 or 8, when I settled to light brown). My mom is dark skinned with naturally red hair, so that could have played a part in my hair being so blond. Anyway, the point is that trying to gage race by skin color alone is foolish.

The other point is that it doesn’t matter what ethnicity the babies are. You don’t handle children this way, and you especially don’t when they aren’t your fucking kids.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dehumanized even as infants. We don’t have a fucking chance. From the cradle to the grave we are treated like chattel. It’s really demoralizing and depressing.

The other point is that it doesn’t matter what ethnicity the babies are.

It's pretty obvious that it does matter what ethnicity these children are. Not to decide whether what the nurses did was wrong, it obviously is, but to determine what the motivation was. It's unlikely we will ever know though unless the parents speak out. As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, you can't tell a babies race from the type of images and video that have been released.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's pretty obvious that it does matter what ethnicity these children are. Not to decide whether what the nurses did was wrong, it obviously is, but to determine what the motivation was. It's unlikely we will ever know though unless the parents speak out. As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, you can't tell a babies race from the type of images and video that have been released.

And yet there’s a little thing called context. The woman’s actions and the context around it heavily imply racial motivations. If you want to continue to downplay the race factor here, that’s fine, but most of us aren’t afraid to call a spade a spade. In this environment, bigots and racists have been crawling out of the woodwork to proudly proclaim their ideology.

Ultimately, babies and newborns shouldn’t be handled this way regardless, which is what I said in my post. I don’t know 100% what ethnicity the baby in the video is, but it’s not hard to put the pieces together when she’s flipping of newborns, calling them “mini satans,” and making them dance to 50 Cent like a puppet. There is a whole racial history in this country that informs people’s perceptions of things like this.

Edit: Huffington Post claims they were black newborns, so until I read otherwise, I’ll assume they were black newborns, and the lady is a racist.

Dear fucking god for some people it literally pains them to see another person being called racist no matter how horrible they are.
Lmao sad innit?
Just how fucking racist is this country!?

Jesus fucking Christ!
This country literally entered hell to keep Blacks enslaved. Thats how racist this country is.
I'd say you have to be sure, even in a situation like this. Otherwise it's almost an insult towards people who have endured actual racism against them. It dilutes it and makes it just a another insult. It's not a thing that you should just throw around without actual proof and hope that it's true in the end.
I've endured actual racism for more than 3 decades. No its not an insult to invoke racism in this case nor does it dilute "actual racism", even if this censored baby ends up not being Black. There are plenty of red flags in the nurse's behavior that one can reasonably infer racism. People are merely calling her racist, yet folks are reacting like we're holding her grandmother hostage or something.
What circumstantial evidence?

Edit: you said in your previous post that people have never seen a black newborn. Have you ever seen a white newborn? Many resemble the ones in those pictures.
My white nieces and nephews say hello.

TBiddy

I'm still surprised that people are taking the OP as gospel, when there's literally no evidence whatsoever of any racism. We don't even know the color of the baby.

Chuckie

I'm still surprised that people are taking the OP as gospel, when there's literally no evidence whatsoever of any racism. We don't even know the color of the baby.

The Huffington Post says the newborn babies were black, so that makes it racist af.

Boss Mog

Am I missing something cause the kid in the picture looks totally white to me yet people in the thread keep talking about a black baby and the title says "racist" in it. Are there some other pics with a different baby or it is me that just can't differentiate black and white skin?

I'm gonna post this on every page of this thread

DKFOz7jX0AE_Dyc

Idk how anyone can tell me 100% the race of this baby. To me it looks white.

For what it's worth I got this picture from the Washington Post article on the story. They don't mention the race of the baby at all.

These women did something despicable, and for some reason instead of talking solely about how awful their actions are, we have to talk about whether they are racist or not cause OP has assumed the race of the babies in question despite every news article I've read about this not mentioning race at all.

For what it's worth I got this picture from the Washington Post article on the story. They don't mention the race of the baby at all.

These women did something despicable, and for some reason instead of talking solely about how awful their actions are, we have to talk about whether they are racist or not cause OP has assumed the race of the babies in question despite every news article I've read about this not mentioning race at all.

So you're complaining about people discussing whether or not these child abusers are racist

but you're going to post the picture on every page

TBiddy

It'd suit the OP to edit the.. well, OP. I think it's a shame that instead of talking about the real issue here (goddamn child abuse!), theres people trying to twist this into another case of racism.

cwmartin

Even if the baby is not black it can be racially motivated behavior.

If a group of white kids call each other "nigga" with *gasp* no black people around, is it somehow not racist?

TBiddy

Even if the baby is not black it can be racially motivated behavior.

If a group of white kids call each other "nigga" with *gasp* no black people around, is it somehow not racist?

Do you honestly feel that analogy is useful here?

Ponn

Banned
It'd suit the OP to edit the.. well, OP. I think it's a shame that instead of talking about the real issue here (goddamn child abuse!), theres people trying to twist this into another case of racism.

Suit you or suit me? You seem to be the one most triggered by the word "racist" and jumping all over anyone dare mentioning it. The conversation about her abusing newborns can proceed just fine without you jumping to defend her.

And to make the point of who's overreacting here very clear, what exactly would you like me to edit? I can't edit the title, and I already replied to a mod on why I came to my assumption. Besides that what in the body of my OP can I edit to make you feel more comfortable about the newborn abuser being possibly mislabeled a racist?

TBiddy

Do you honestly feel fighting so hard for potentially racist behavior is a good look?

There does not need to be a PoC victim for an action to be considered racist. That's a fact.

Yes, I'm clearly fighting for racist behavior. This is my hill, or whatever. Or perhaps, I'm just annoyed that it's seemingly more important to talk about, what seems to be the case here, imaginary racism, than the actual fucking child abuse taking place.

Suit you or suit me? You seem to be the one most triggered by the word "racist" and jumping all over anyone dare mentioning it. The conversation about her abusing newborns can proceed just fine without you jumping to defend her.

And to make the point of who's overreacting here very clear, what exactly would you like me to edit? I can't edit the title, and I already replied to a mod on why I came to my assumption. Besides that what in the body of my OP can I edit to make you feel more comfortable about the newborn abuser being possibly mislabeled a racist?

I'm not defending anyone. Full stop. Stop pretending that I am or accusing me of it. I'm only pointing out that you made a topic, where some of the stuff seems to have been made up. Why, I don't know.

You could remove the last paragraph, IE. Or you could edit the part, where you accused someone of doing a racist thing, even though you have 0% evidence of that. You based it solely on the "rap music" and the skin-color of the baby, which seems to be the same color as every other newborn.

She might be racist - it's probably likely - but you turned the conversation into 'racist or not' , instead of whatever else it could've been. And that's a shame, I think.

Enzom21

DKFOz7jX0AE_Dyc

What should a black baby look like to you?
Yes, I'm clearly fighting for racist behavior. This is my hill, or whatever. Or perhaps, I'm just annoyed that it's seemingly more important to talk about, what seems to be the case here, imaginary racism, than the actual fucking child abuse taking place.
It seems it's quite important to you as well.
You're just as involved in that conversation as the people you're bitching about.

Ponn

Banned

I'm not defending anyone. Full stop. Stop pretending that I am or accusing me of it. I'm only pointing out that you made a topic, where some of the stuff seems to have been made up. Why, I don't know.

You could remove the last paragraph, IE. Or you could edit the part, where you accused someone of doing a racist thing, even though you have 0% evidence of that. You based it solely on the "rap music" and the skin-color of the baby, which seems to be the same color as every other newborn.

She might be racist - it's probably likely - but you turned the conversation into 'racist or not' , instead of whatever else it could've been. And that's a shame, I think.

So you have a problem with last paragraph, ok let's break it down.

On the news tonight they said the person already deleted all her social media accounts. Lots of emboldened racists and even though we all should know its not a surprise they are everywhere. Its disturbing you can't trust, especially those you have to trust that should be approve reproach. Cops are one thing, now Firefighters and nurses with defenseless babies who were just born into the world.

So she had deleted her social media accounts according to the news.

Racists have been more emboldened in the US, I can't speak for countries I don't live in.

It is disturbing to me that, again in America, you can no longer trust many professions that used to be beyond reproach. Professions that really depend on immediate trust.

Which of those are you disagreeing with?

Top Bottom