• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can't have everything. ;_;

Also I love how hype people get for boostios.
I think us normal people can relate to Boostio because it's one of the few pro game accidents that we also see in our own games.

The other thing is pros accidentally walking off the map.

It's nice to know these things happen, even to the best of the best. And it's hilarious.

Skii

A good player is a good player, doesn't matter who he's using. Being a Roadhog main doesn't magically make you GM. If so, we'd all be GM already. Doesn't matter if they'd be GM if they mained something else. Evermore, the #1 player with 5000 SR plays almost nothing but Roadhog in comp. Does that make him a player who doesn't deserve his rank?

You're making these really weird arguments that actually have no relevance to what I'm saying... Evermore has been a top 500 player for 3 seasons now. He plays for a professional team. I don't understand how you're conflating that with a player who's gone from gold to GM this season being a Roadhog main???

I know how balancing works. What I'm saying is if you nerf an A-tier hero it only makes sense that a C-tier hero is going to rise up and most likely take its place. Then people are going to complain about that hero. This game will never have "perfect balance" and I'm okay with that.

That's not how it works... These characters are different enough that they fulfill a niche even if they are nerfed. Genji still get played heavily even after getting overnerfed because his ultimate and mobility is unrivalled. No C-tier hero replaced Genji in season 2.

AbaFadi

Banned
I think Roadhog could be toned down a bit, but I think Soldier, Reinhardt, and Ana all need it more. I'm not upset about Roadhog nerfs, but I really hope I see fixes for those other characters as well. My team almost never loses if we pick a full "top tier" composition.

I think Roadhog is often underwhelming outside of his hook combo, so if his new shotgun spread helps him be relevant outside of that cooldown period, I'm okay with the change.

I wouldn't say Reinhardt needs a nerf. He isn't in any way overpowered. There just needs to be more heroes who can perform his role.

Jellie

A lot of games in GM are filled with people like that. Maybe not 2200 low, but around low 3000. Most of the top players from season 2 hate this season's matchmaking for that reason.
Yeah seen it in quickplay and it's always hog or dva mains. See many dva mains in comp who fell who think they can still play the same way as before. It's why I'm having success with zarya. Destroy the dva main on their team and bubble hooked targets since most of these hogs can't kill without the hook. I switched to hog from Winston in a game and went 27/2 with him because people have pretty bad positioning at my level that he easily punishes.

Veelk

Banned
I wouldn't say Reinhardt needs a nerf. He isn't in any way overpowered. There just needs to be more heroes who can perform his role.

But that just means well have a choice of two mustpicks for the shield role instead of just one.

What they need to do is balance it so that the shield role is useful, but not an absolute must pick in the team comp. How they do that, idk.

Skii

I've never really had a problem with Roadhog, and I don't really mind what they do with him. I don't think he was ever an issue, and I think the usage rates among tanks backs that up. I don't find him overpowered pre-PTR, nor do I think he'll be underpowered post-PTR, so they can really do whatever they want with him and it's not really a concern of mine because hey I guess it means less teammates being lemmings to him. But if Roadhog was some perpetually "overpowered" character and yet only had people climb with him in season 3, it doesn't really check out.

He's good at carrying in an uncoordinated scenario though that's for sure, so he really is the solo queue star.

It really does check out and has been explained to you numerous times but you just tend to ignore those post...

Yeah his role is too unique making him a staple but he's got no range and without his shield is a sitting duck. The only nerf I can see happening is to Earth shatters hit box but that's it.

Btw, I just realised your display pic is zoom lol.

Yeah seen it in quickplay and it's always hog or dva mains. See many dva mains in comp who fell who think they can still play the same way as before. It's why I'm having success with zarya. Destroy the dva main on their team and bubble hooked targets since most of these hogs can't kill without the hook. I switched to hog from Winston in a game and went 27/2 with him because people have pretty bad positioning at my level that he easily punishes.

I remember that game. You completely carried it as Roadhog even though you basically never play him lol.

I think that's a kind of admission to him needing a nerf (at least in a roundabout sense in the form of buffing someone else to more directly handle him). All of the tanks have unique mechanics and uses, but I think the Reinhardt dichotomy is pretty jank at the moment as it's a duel between Reinhardts while the minions do their thing. I don't believe adding redundant roles on heroes is the right approach, as it's not the answer when anyone ends up being that valuable a character.

It's just really weird that the team match-up has Reinhardt fighting a Reinhardt (and I don't think the existence of dive comps, adding the binary choice of "Reinhardt or Winston" are enough diversity in that regard) because he's the only hero that can really contest with himself. A defending Reinhardt being the best defense against Earthshatter should just not be a thing.

It really does check out and has been explained to you numerous times but you just tend to ignore those post...
If Hog was always overpowered, then they could have gotten GM whenever. *shrug* Difference between the D.Va boost was that she was... well... boosted as a character.

LiK

I really wish the friend list on PS4 would tell you when people are playing Comp or any other modes like on PC. You don't even know until you try joining them if they're in a group.

maomaoIYP

You're making these really weird arguments that actually have no relevance to what I'm saying... Evermore has been a top 500 player for 3 seasons now. He plays for a professional team. I don't understand how you're conflating that with a player who's gone from gold to GM this season being a Roadhog main???

That's not how it works... These characters are different enough that they fulfill a niche even if they are nerfed. Genji still get played heavily even after getting overnerfed because his ultimate and mobility is unrivalled. No C-tier hero replaced Genji in season 2.

My point is that your argument that "Roadhog mains who are in GM don't deserve to be there because they pick a good and possibly overpowered character" is inherently meaningless. You are basically saying that they play to win and you think that's stupid.

Mendrox

Roadhog is one of the easiest heroes to play with. I recommended him to a friend of mine that started Overwatch a few weeks ago by playing only Dva when she still wrecked more shit than right now. He climbed from 1780 to 3300 in a single day and laughed his ass off how easy he could pick out people. I profited from that. :3

Anne

Here's a good example of why 6s hook is ridiculous

https://clips.twitch.tv/anneifrank/DoubtfulCodUnSane

Yeah, I know I could have played that better and gone for the last 3 shots, but I tried to play it as safely as possible since I didn't know what else was around. It's pretty ridiculous that most DPS don't get a clean 1v1 against him after he blows the CD in their face, and then you realize he is just walking around in team fights doing it. Idk, people can tell me to just get good but that type of thing shouldn't be happening.

No_Style

I should invest more time into Roadhog. Probably a good time to take him seriously without any real experience with his hook before the change.

Thing is Roadhog being a hybrid Tank + DPS kind of Hero, the thing that arises is he's way to powerful 1 vs 1, hell sometimes 3 vs 1

Team focus priority shifts if he is in play, but most teams forget how to team play

Say there's a Rein, Roadhog, Tracer, Soldier, Ana, Lucio as Defend
Your team is say Rein, Zarya, Soldier, Pharah, Mercy, Lucio on Attack

Rein cancels each other out
Soldiers same thing
Tracer has advantage to pick back line, but Pharah being the eye in the sky can keep Tracer humble
Healers are even, push as they

Zarya and Roadhog battle differs now
Zarya can't push up way to hard, she needs a distract or + bubble buddy to reap benefits
Roadhog on the other hand has free Roam to pick squishes at heart every 6 seconds

You need Pharah + Soldier + Zarya (boosted barrier wise) to take him out
So 3 players have to almost DPS him down to negate him
While doing this, healers will be pushing up his health + his CD for getting his health backup, while yours are getting pestered by Tracer

It really requires Team effort to drop a Hog

It sucks so much that you solo a Hog 1 v 1, get him to hook bait, misses, you pump him with damage, see him gulp away restoring Health while your damaging away still, turn, and have his hook back up, grab, insta-gib

That's where the thing pisses people off the most
If you get the drop on most Heroes you have a great % of getting the win, but with Hog its mostly a loss

You can burn his health down, only to see him gulp it back up while your blasting away at him
Then your at a disadvantage

I've seen it countless times he's getting hammered and mid battle while getting shot up just Gulp down and survive

With 8 sec hook, those 2 secs will be huge, but I had the thought of, if Road chugs his health back up, if no damage taken during it, 100% intake, but if gulping up health while taking damage, it should only give him back 50-75%
Its fucking stupid a Hero mid battle can re-up that much health, negate your damage and return it back to you because the CD's are super quick
I really think it's inaccurate to say Roadhog hooks and kills every 6 seconds. When I play against intelligent players, they are good at hiding behind Reinhardt shield to protect themselves, and Zarya can also nullify the hook. The only character I can consistently hook no matter what the player does to stop me is D.va, which is why I think her defense matrix should block hooks. Giving teams more ways to limit Roadhog's picks makes more sense to me than nerfing Roadhog directly.

I agree about his deadly 1v1 capacity and ability to soak up damage, heal through it, and then pummel people. But they aren't fixing that aspect of him, they're making it even more imbalanced by improving his shotgun. I also think it's fair that some heroes need specialized weapons for you to counter them. After all, Pharah requires specific picks to counter her, right?

As a Roadhog main, teams without Reinhardt usually give me gold elims and damage. Everyone is just too vulnerable. That's not just a Roadhog feature, though. The same applies when I play Soldier, and if I pick Reinhardt I can march into any non-Bastion team without fear. I think Reinhardt is one of the best characters in the game, and he completely shuts a lot of teams down. The only balancing factor I can think of is a suggestion I saw earlier to "stun" Reinhardt if his shield breaks so there's some kind of negative factor to him.

I also wish Reinhardt's shield didn't stop Sombra from hacking him. THAT would give her relevance.

Skii

If Hog was always overpowered, then they could have gotten GM whenever. *shrug* Difference between the D.Va boost was that she was... well... boosted as a character.

But you can't just say that without context? Beforehand, there were other heroes that were more overpowered than Roadhog that made them worth running over him or were overpowered enough to counter him being picked.

In season 1 the dive comp was super strong because of Zen's discord being overpowered and Genji's ult being overpowered. I think before that was McCree being the premium tank buster in the game as well as being the best hero in mid range.

In season 2 you had nanoboost being overpowered ensuring the likes of Reinhardt and Roadhog being impossible to avoid or kill until teams started to figure out they could nano Reaper who could deal with this heavy reliance on tanks. And then the over reliance on nanoing Reaper meant you could run DPS to manage him. It was an overpowered meta but there was a cycle of counters.

In season 3 with no speed on nano, ult charge nerf and Dva being so prominent ensured that Reaper had absolutely no chance against triple tanks. So Roadhog's main "counter" was absolutely useless and he could run around for free. And then add in the fact that his and Dva's insane damage destroyed Rein shields in about 2 seconds meant you could easily secure picks using Roadhog. This cycle couldn't really be countered or broken because Ana wouldn't let the tanks die. This keeps on going until the current nerfs being rolled out.

So as you can see, Roadhog mains would've struggled to climb in the first 2 seasons without being extremely good at the game like any normal GM. This season his value was unrivalled as your main DPS because of his hook.

This has been explained to you before and you'll probably not reply as last time.

My point is that your argument that "Roadhog mains who are in GM don't deserve to be there because they pick a good and possibly overpowered character" is inherently meaningless. You are basically saying that they play to win and you think that's stupid.

Stop making strawmans and go read my posts again. You've clearly not understood anything I've said.

finalflame

Gold Member
I should invest more time into Roadhog. Probably a good time to take him seriously without any real experience with his hook before the change.

Yup, his hook is insanely broken and playing him is child's play right now, easy way to gain rank if you can land the hook (on good games I get 65-70% accuracy), you'll basically win your team the game if they keep you alive. Just play sneaky and look for picks, don't go out in the open too much to be used as ult fodder, and don't be conservative with your ult since you get it pretty quickly.

LiK

Same, I need to have more tanks in my pool. I'm only proficient with D.va. Roadhog and Zarya are my next ones to learn.

Yup, his hook is insanely broken and playing him is child's play right now, easy way to gain rank if you can land the hook (on good games I get 65-70% accuracy), you'll basically win your team the game if they keep you alive. Just play sneaky and look for picks, don't go out in the open too much to be used as ult fodder, and don't be conservative with your ult since you get it pretty quickly.

It's really weird seeing someone with a Hog avy complain about him so hard? Can you change it to another hero? :p

On your team? If the enemy team has a half decent Zarya, then D.Va is just ult fodder. I love seeing D.Va's on the enemy team as Zarya.

On my team, yeah. I feel like a noticeable amount of players mained D.Va up into the 3500+ areas and don't know what to do with themselves.

This has been explained to you before and you'll probably not reply as last time.
You'll have to point that out for me as I've never seen this reply you're referring to. However, the context you're adding is one that explains why he wasn't overpowered, heh -- and I agree.

On my team, yeah. I feel like a noticeable amount of players mained D.Va up into the 3500+ areas and don't know what to do with themselves.
Yeah, the D.Va dive is real. I've seen at least a couple with a disproportionate amount of D.Va time who have lost at least 700 SR.

Skii

You'll have to point that out for me as I've never seen this reply you're referring to. However, the context you're adding is one that explains why he wasn't overpowered, heh -- and I agree.

Okay fair play for actually changing your stance based on the evidence I've given.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Why does Roadhog take no damage while healing? I honestly think that the best nerf to hog would be to remove those invincibility frames.

Skii

What's the roadhog hook combo? Hook > left click into body?

Yeah. You need to shoot around the chest area for maximum damage. Also try to throw in a melee but that wont work after the patch I think.

Why does Roadhog take no damage while healing? I honestly think that the best nerf to hog would be to remove those invincibility frames.

He does. It's just hard to pump out another 300 damage that he's healing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Can we just say a lot of players who are ranked very high by using Hog are "Inflated"

Yes they're taking advantage of what the game offers, but some are just there due to it
If say Hog got Nerfed to Z-Tier with 10 sec Hook and Healing CD only giving him back 50% health, a lot of those up in the higher tier would falter back dowb unless they have backup Heroes to keep them up there

Players can use whatever they can to take advantage of the situation, right now the game allows them to abuse Hog, was D.Va too before recent nerf and you saw how she's being played now

Hog should be a Zone controller kind of Hero, like Mid-Support
Front line has Rein/D.Va/Zarya
Hog + DPS in Mid
Supports in back

Hog can cover help both line, Front to push back, back line to save Support from pesters
Also keep himself self sufficient in keeping Mid safe cause of self heal, same for say Soldier or Mei

With the way he is at the moment, the playsryle is One Man Army syndrome
Fuck positioning or being the middle buffer, just Hook, Insta-Gib at any cost
So you see him Roam and Venture further out cause they can, they have the necessary CD's to not worry

Hell shoot off a few shots from alt fire, adjust line of sights, hook, kill, heal, repeat every 6-8 secs
It adds up over time

Yes Roads con is he can be an Ultimate battery for the other team, but when they can negate most Heroes ultimates, by hooking them quickly and finishing them off, it doesn't feel like much of a downside

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

If enemy out of Range, try to hit an Alt Fire shot or two while closing in for Hook, land it, kill, melee just to make it muscle memory based or just to finish due to lag/shenanigans

If close enough, Hook, Shoot, Melee, drops mostly everybody below 300 health

Anne

I'm honestly just curious what good Roadhog players will look like post nerf. He's getting a lot less derpy and a lot more skill based, and he's moved more to the side on the balance tree than outright down.

Skii

My stance was always the same, that Roadhog is as he is now is the outcome of the environment, not vice versa.

No, your stance was that because Roadhog wasn't considered overpowered in season 1 that it's inconceivable to call him overpowered in season 3 lol.

Yeah, I know I could have played that better and gone for the last 3 shots, but I tried to play it as safely as possible since I didn't know what else was around. It's pretty ridiculous that most DPS don't get a clean 1v1 against him after he blows the CD in their face, and then you realize he is just walking around in team fights doing it. Idk, people can tell me to just get good but that type of thing shouldn't be happening.

The worst ones are with Reaper for sure. I completely outplay Roadhogs by baiting their hooks but I cant burst them down thanks to Ana and die anyway because I can't actually run away.

Hook, hold left click, melee attack as soon as the shot goes off. If the hook target is far away and you feel confident, your can right-click, cancel into hook, left-click, cancel into melee attack.

The first combo does around 300 damage, variance depending on shotgun spread and body type.

He takes damage. I've killed plenty of Roadhog players through their heal. Since he can't move, it's advisable to close in if you have a shotgun-style weapon and focus fire on his head. I usually boost in as D.va when he starts to heal, or I will close in as Reaper and get those delicious full spreads to land on his chubby self.

I think the issue regarding doing "enough" damage is mostly an issue with weapon clips and not actual damage output. You usually burn through 100% of a clip to get him down to "danger" health 1v1, and he's really healing through your reload period.

I'm seeing a tank get burst down 1v1. Nerf Soldier's damage output.

My inclination is that tanks should require more than 1 clip from DPS unless the DPS is landing a lot of headshots (which you did at the start). If DPS can mow down tanks 1v1, then what's the point of playing a tank?

maomaoIYP

Stop making strawmans and go read my posts again. You've clearly not understood anything I've said.

These guys are clearly good Roadhogs. And they've exploited the fact that for this entire season he's had no counter and has an insane HP pool thanks to Ana. And then take into account that picks are the most important thing this season and that ensures some questionable players ending up in GM because they can play Roadhog well.

Maybe you should read your own post again instead. You're saying these guys are clearly good Roadhogs but however they're somehow questionable and don't deserve their ranks. Who cares if they're gold in S2 and GM in S3? It's not as if just because they're picking RH means it's a free ride to GM. You're deriding the individual player's contributions to get there.

BigDug13

No, your stance was that because Roadhog wasn't considered overpowered in season 1 that it's inconceivable to call him overpowered in season 3 lol.

The worst ones are with Reaper for sure. I completely outplay Roadhogs by baiting their hooks but I cant burst them down thanks to Ana and die anyway because I can't actually run away.

Any single player should lose to the combination of a DPS with pocket healer. It's 2v1. The fact that Ana can outheal pretty much any single player's damage is part of the issue though.

What are the new Roadhog nerfs?

In fact I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can run down all the changes coming soon, as well as which characters are getting good and which are going into the trash.

Anne

Again, I want to point out that Roadhog isn't just like this thing that is outright OP in his output, he's just barely over the curve tbh. The more damning thing is he performs really out of line with a lot of the more baseline mechanics of the game which makes dealing with him way too demanding. The way his CDs work just don't line up. The way his gun works is pretty shitty. His health pool combined with hook let him position in ways that other heroes can't. Etc. It's why he's getting a very specific type of change rather than just flat number nerfs.

I think arguing over who deserves what rank is dumb btw. Wait until somebody drops hundreds of SR post nerf before you call them a fraud :p There are plenty of people that are good that just follow the sage advice of Sanford Kelly. I would know, I pick Soldier a lot because he's a great climbing hero, not because I'm in love with Soldier. I do put time into other heroes in comp ladder too, but at the end of the day winning is a good incentive.

Also, yeah, Karst is right about Rein. I don't think he's OP, but he's required because he just does things that you can't compete with. I don't want him nerfed entirely, but I think lateral changes would be healthy. If he does have to be nerfed, I'd probably target his ult anyways and hope that takes enough pressure off the mirror match requirement.

In fact I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can run down all the changes coming soon, as well as which characters are getting good and which are going into the trash.

Hook is 8s, leaves people further away, and his gun spread is smaller. The gun is mroe consistent and usable, and he can still kill things up to 250HP in one hook combo. Since the CD is longer and it leaves people further away, it's a lot easier to counterplay and makes his positioning matter a lot more.

Bastion got a total rework you'd need to go read, but it's a pretty significant buff. Nobody knows if he'll be great, but the general consensus seems to be it'll just make Bastion gimmicks more popular.

finalflame

Gold Member
It's really weird seeing someone with a Hog avy complain about him so hard? Can you change it to another hero? :p

;).

I don't hate on Hog, there are just some realities about his current state I'm not going to turn a blind eye to. I love him as a hero, and his Year of the Rooster skin is awesome.

It's probably how they climbed to 3500 -- while D.Va was OP. She's still good but highly situational and useless against a good/well supported enemy Zarya.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Hook CD is 8s, they're placed further away (still one shottable but fixes the dumb stuff you can do to people like Zarya). But they're also buffing his shotty and the spread is 20% tighter.

Skii

Maybe you should read your own post again instead. You're saying these guys are clearly good Roadhogs but however they're somehow questionable and don't deserve their ranks. Who cares if they're gold in S2 and GM in S3? It's not as if just because they're picking RH means it's a free ride to GM. You're deriding the individual player's contributions to get there.

Now please go read my other posts as I've literally addressed this lmao.

Any single player should lose to the combination of a DPS with pocket healer. It's 2v1. The fact that Ana can outheal pretty much any single player's damage is part of the issue though.

But your healer is supposed to healing in a fight... Ana's healing isn't much of a problem on any of the other tanks aside from Roadhog atm because he can still one shot you even if he misses the hook with all the healing he gets. But that's down to short hook CDs not allowing you to wraith again when he has hook back up.

You had insinuated not long ago that he needed a nerf prior to season 3, but I just never thought what he had was a problem that needed intervention on him directly.

But...

I'm honestly just curious what good Roadhog players will look like post nerf. He's getting a lot less derpy and a lot more skill based, and he's moved more to the side on the balance tree than outright down.

I am really happy with the direction they went with him. Less jank and more consistency is always good.

Can you still turn Roadhog to drop people off of ledges post-hook? Since they land farther away, is it now going to be a little easier to drop folks? Just a thought.

As someone who hates mirror matches in fighting games, I do hope the Roadhog nerfs make him a less popular pick. The Roadhog mirror match is one of the most annoying in the game - it never seems to play out the same way even though I make the same decisions.

D.va DM getting a slight buff as well. she can block stuff point blank so Hog hook is less of an issue.

also, where have you been?
Just taking a break for a bit. Getting caught up with school and some other stuff. I tentatively plan to return tonight/this weekend. Hopefully we can get some games in. You guys are all probably way better than me now.

LiK

Just taking a break for a bit. Getting caught up with school and some other stuff. I tentatively plan to return tonight/this weekend. Hopefully we can get some games in. You guys are all probably way better than me now.

I can play 12 heroes proficiently now. Junk is a hero I only pull out when we're getting stomped now.

Veelk

Banned
D.va DM getting a slight buff as well. she can block stuff point blank so Hog hook is less of an issue.

Actually been meaning to ask about that.

Does this mean that if, after D.Va Has been hooked, if the player holds the DM button, it should activate on the first frame that is available, right? Does that mean that her DM's will now eat Roadhog's follow up shots?

Anne

Actually been meaning to ask about that.

Does this mean that if, after D.Va Has been hooked, if the player holds the DM button, it should activate on the first frame that is available, right? Does that mean that her DM's will now eat Roadhog's follow up shots?

No, Roadhog can still connect all his shots while the victim is stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom