• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I believe the leaked video is still up here, but my phone doesn't like 22 minute mp4s: https://u.nya.is/fzyrht.mp4

How do you view the relationship between Monster Hunter: World and the other Monster Hunter games? Is this a spinoff, or a main title?

Ryozo Tsujimoto: This is the next main Monster Hunter game. Our Osaka team is working on it. We've brought in some people who are more familiar with next-gen technology to come in and help us adapt it for the current generation of consoles. When you have a series that runs into the higher numbers, I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point." Just because we've taken the number off the title doesn't mean it's not a main Monster Hunter game. We just wanted to have "world" in the title because it speaks to the concept of the game in a variety of ways. This is the first simultaneous worldwide release for the game, and the servers are global this time.
Source: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/monster-hunter-world-leads-answer-all-the-big-questions-w488101

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point."

That's actually not that dumb.

wwm0nkey

The leaked video was great, bad quality but it 100% put me on board for this Monster Hunter.

Also great reasoning on not calling it 5

So basically what most of us assumed. Monster Hunter 5 will confuse people thinking the missed the past 4 games while World sounds better. It is still the next mainline game.

Ridley327

In a world where The Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3 and, hell, Final Fantasy VII were tremendous successes that turbocharged their popularity the world over, I'm not all that positive that the sentiment of new players thinking that they're "missing out" due to the number at the end of the title is all that compelling an argument.

Thoraxes

That makes at least two different answers on the name already. I'm interested in seeing how many more pop up before release.

I still would absolutely not be surprised if they eventually release a MH5, and have it be in the traditional style though.

In a world where The Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3 and, hell, Final Fantasy VII were tremendous successes that turbocharged their popularity the world over, I'm not all that positive that the sentiment of new players thinking that they're "missing out" due to the number at the end of the title is all that compelling an argument.

I dont think it really matters all that much

What matters is that we have a Next gen multiplatform MH game

Holy crap man I hope it takes off. Its looking very very good

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That makes at least two different answers on the name already. I'm interested in seeing how many more pop up before release.

What was the first answer? Or do you mean both of the explanations given in the OP? Trying to make sure that I didn't miss a previous discussion regarding MHW's title

Already with this shit. Can we not?
Just need an "escape handheld ghetto" post and the shit-post cycle is complete.

Remember when CoD and Assassin's Creed had numbers? Good times.

Good to see Capcom putting their full weight behind AAA games again.

Kimawolf

They should have just been honest. "Just in case this shit bombs or underperforms we don't want to completely damage the brand." Is a much better and realistic answer.

ReyVGM

Don't believe Capcom's lies. There had been Monster Hunter games on consoles before and they were never as successful as the portable ones.
Expect the real MH5 on the Switch or something portable once this fake MH5 underperformes.

So why has Assassin's Creed drop the numbers? Or COD?

Ridley327

I dont think it really matters all that much

What matters is that we have a Next gen multiplatform MH game

Holy crap man I hope it takes off. Its looking very very good

I don't think the number matter much, either, but I guess that's what I'm getting at: there's really not a good reason that they've given for this not to be called Monster Hunter 5. I think that most of us can probably guess the real reason why it isn't, but Capcom is obviously not going to be at liberty to mention why.

Toxi

Banned
Don't believe Capcom's lies. There had been Monster Hunter games on consoles before and they were never as successful as the portable ones.
Expect the real MH5 on the Switch or something portable once this fake MH5 underperformes.
Watch the leaked footage, look at the development team, and then realize that this is the next Monster Hunter generation.

mjc

Once this version bombs?

Time for me to carry Japanese Hunters.

They are saving the next numbered entry for the 3DS.

giphy.gif

Come on now guys, getting a bit old.

Ridley327

So why has Assassin's Creed drop the numbers? Or COD?

CoD still uses them to some extent, at least as far as Black Ops is concerned. Couldn't tell you why with Assassin's Creed, though since there's not as big an emphasis on the modern day antics in the more recent games, there was perhaps a concentrated effort on Ubi's part to try and steer it away from the mess that the Desmond games made in terms of being able to follow along.

Peroroncino

global servers? Sweet, time to get carried by Japanese hunters :D

They're gonna carry me like a backpack.

And yeah, his answer mostly covers the presumptions I made in one of the MH:W threads, that it's not numbered simply because they don't want to scare off potential new customers, hopefully an official statement will finally convince some sceptics that there's no grand conspiracy here and it really is that simple.

What still baffles me is how Capcom claims the series up till now failed in the west, when all of their changes/approaches with World show that they never really gave a shit about properly promoting it in the west. Why did they never once attempt a worldwide release or servers before? Why did they largely leave it to Nintendo to publish/promote the game, especially in Europe? This company is a fucking mess

If it meets their expectations, they'll probably continue with the MHW branding and platforms.

If it fails to meet their expectations, they'll probably just make the Switch games multiplatform going forward.

Top Bottom