• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

Rncewind

Didn't hurt GTA3.

But I see what he means. I think it's a good idea actually, gives consumers a better sense of the game's scale.

and then rockstar went for gta san andreas, becuase they fear it would flop

san andreas no mainline game confirmed!

lol this mhs threads in the last days

Cincaid

In a world where The Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3 and, hell, Final Fantasy VII were tremendous successes that turbocharged their popularity the world over, I'm not all that positive that the sentiment of new players thinking that they're "missing out" due to the number at the end of the title is all that compelling an argument.

I can only speak for myself, but personally I was really interested in trying the prior Witcher games since I jumped in at the third game. But for both Fallout and Witcher, the number "three" really isn't that off-putting. I guess it's the same reason why most movies (horror movies) eventually drop the numbering (usually after the fourth or fifth movie) in favor of a suffix. Also, how many do you know that referred to the Elder Scrolls games by their number, and not simply Oblivion or Skyrim (or even Morrowind)? Final Fantasy I feel is just a running joke by now since the title started as "this is the last game we'll make before our studio goes bankrupt", but also since the games have barely anything to do with each other.

I think their excuse with Monster Hunter is really not that weird to be honest.

Toxi

Banned
The name sounds like an easy way to bring the Hunters license monthly fees over with the title.

Just because you didn't have to pay to play for MH, Tri, or 4U well this game's title is World and World wide server costs are expensive.
LOL They aren't bringing over Frontier's subscription fees. People really are going chicken little over this game.

Demoli

I believe it's a bit of both sides in here

MH:W is probably genuinely the dev's intention on being the next generation of monster hunter to iterate upon, and they have decided on that name so that newcomers wouldn't feel alienated and because it does it's own thing.

At the same time if it fails they could always bring back a numbered series on handheld to continue Japan's success.

After seeing the leaked gameplay footage my concerns are somewhat eased from the terrible reveal even if I don't enjoy some aspects they have showed, like how potions now work and the whole chase aspect, but i'm willing to give it a try and I can't wait for the gameplay trailer tomorrow.

In a world where The Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3 and, hell, Final Fantasy VII were tremendous successes that turbocharged their popularity the world over, I'm not all that positive that the sentiment of new players thinking that they're "missing out" due to the number at the end of the title is all that compelling an argument.

I never paid attention of TW3 because I had 0 knowledge of the Two first games. Would have been much more interested in that game if it was not a sequel

I have never played a monster hunter game. This is my Most anticipated game right now

Smart name

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It doesnt really matter what they call it - fans know its the next main game and everyone else will judge it based on the gameplay/trailers etc. they see.

Lelou

i really don't want it.
But this chapter will bomb soo hard for tooo many factors that are even hard to count.

The sad part is that this game seems soo great even only from the start, that would be one of the best entries of the franchise, with the most bad sales number probably.

The 5 numbered chapter will instead the escape plan..
i don't predict the future, just for a niche fan of a franchise, is really easy to see that it will not become mainstream

lyrick

LOL They aren't bringing over Frontier's subscription fees. People really are going chicken little over this game.

They wouldn't need to bring Frontiers Subs, they could simply extend the previous Japan only Hunter License Fees that were in MH, G, MH2, and Tri to the "World" audience.

i really don't want it.
But this chapter will bomb soo hard for tooo many factors that are even hard to count.

The sad part is that this game seems soo great even only from the start, that would be one of the best entries of the franchise, with the most bad sales number probably.

i don't predict the future, just for a niche fan of a franchise, is really easy to see that it will not become mainstream
So what are the factors

KiNolin

Capcom's not bold enough to risk domestic sales of their most stable franchise.

Not that much of a risk in Japan where they've always operated that way except MH4. Basic console version gets released for a quick cash-in, portable iteration releases later and kills the Japanese market (then maybe cash-in again with another iteration that has a slightly different focus).

AsakuraZ

Sometimes I read things in related MH World threads and almost feel like the fans don't want the franchise to be successful. Its time to start letting things go and embrace the new.

I agree I am shaken by the fact that I can't have MH on the go and the ability to go hang out with friends and play together with them, but if the trade-off is the chance to play it on the big screen, with new monsters and a revised system, then thats okay. I sometimes wonder if gamers ran a company, how long would it last? You can't succeed in this market without trying to innovate, especially if you want to bring new blood into a series.

CronoShot

It's not called Monster Hunter 5 because it isn't Monster Hunter 5. Plain and simple.

Also, I guess someone should call Square and tell them to stop numbering their Final Fantasies, because they're implying that you have to play the other 14 first. And someone tell Atlus that Persona 5 didn't actually set sales records for the series because of the "5".

They're calling it World for two reasons: First is that it's something of a reboot/experiment designed to grow the series in the west, so to number it wouldn't make much sense. Second is that if it doesn't work out (as in, it's not well received in the west and Japan doesn't like the changes) they can release a traditional "Monster Hunter 5" and pretend World was a spinoff all along.

i really don't want it.
uuhhhhh, factors? Like what 'its not a 'Real' Monster Hunter!'?

This game is going to do fine, and since the release schedule for Spring 2018 doesn't look packed I see it being a runaway hit with casuals. And me, I've been always wanted to play Monster Hunter on PC.

Sanctuary

I still would absolutely not be surprised if they eventually release a MH5, and have it be in the traditional style though.

What makes this not "traditional"; the stealth and Bionic Commando/Attack on Titan/Spider-Man swinging? I don't really understand all of the hate it's getting from "fans".

uuhhhhh, factors? Like what 'its not a 'Real' Monster Hunter!'?

This game is going to do fine, and since the release schedule for Spring 2018 doesn't look packed I see it being a runaway hit with casuals. And me, I've been always wanted to play Monster Hunter on PC.

I seriously cannot imagine the game bombing with how many platforms it's being released on, and close to simultaneously. Did each previous version that was usually isolated to one platform really sell that many more than PC plus two consoles combined?

Toxi

Banned
They wouldn't need to bring Frontiers Subs, they could simply extend the previous Japan only Hunter License Fees that were in MH, G, MH2, and Tri to the "World" audience.
So you're worried about this happening in the West, even though it's never happened with previous games, because of the title?

Yeah, ok.

Kyoufu

What makes this not "traditional"; the stealth and Bionic Commando/Attack on Titan/Spider-Man swinging? I don't really understand all of the hate it's getting from "fans".

There's nothing that I wouldn't call "traditional" from what I've seen. It just looks like they've expanded on features they couldn't have on previous platforms.

These features will most likely cross over to the next Switch games as well if reception from fans is good enough. Underwater combat didn't make it over to MH4 because the majority of fans hated it so we'll see how feedback shapes the next games.

Rncewind

i really don't want it.

did you not make a post couple of days that pretty much was "capcom shoot themself in the foot"...in a unironical way?

edit:

Yes it is

The bitterness towards 5th gen is very bizaare

Please tell me this isnt just console warrior garbage. I want to believe the fanbase is better than this

as a mh fan, no when changes come up veterans were always fuzzy bout it. But the thing is console warrior garbage exist and usually the warrior bullshit is the most vocal one

Sanctuary

There's nothing that I wouldn't call "traditional" from what I've seen. It just looks like they've expanded on features they couldn't have on previous platforms.

These features will most likely cross over to the next Switch games as well if reception from fans is good enough. Underwater combat didn't make it over to MH4 because the majority of fans hated it.

I only played MH3U on the Wii U (mainly because I don't play on portables) and loved it for the most part. However, the underwater combat won't be missed. At all.

Lelou

So what are the factors

- no portability for jp, bad sales in japan
- no local play
- crossplay from ps4 / community splitted in 5 console for the same franchise
- the game will not appeal the mainstream west gamer
- spike difficulty from the start for new players (if the gameplay of the game stay the same as the other mh games)
- no dark souls factor that make the sales of the games go up because of the word of mouth from the "challanges" that the game will make
- not interesting envirment/style for the western mainstream gamer
- grinding, not interesting for the western gamer (if the gameplay stay the same as other mh)
- losing % of the enstablished western community player because of the change of console
- drastically changes may turn down many old time fans

I can go on and on, but the point is that: on paper it's predicted to be a really really really hard challange for capcom

And no, even if it was on switch this game could potetially has be a failure on sales numbers, but probably less than releasing on a home console without local play (for the jp audience at least)

Korigama

Monster Hunter is actually popular in Japan, so getting away with charging online fees was feasible there. Attempting to charge MHW-specific online fees on top of PS+/XBL would be counterproductive if they're even remotely serious about making the West care much more with this one.

Khezu

As far as I have seen, it looks far more like a traditional game then X and XX.

This game is driving people crazy and I'm not sure why.

Toxi

Banned
I only played MH3U on the Wii U (mainly because I don't play on portables) and loved it for the most part. However, the underwater combat won't be missed. At all.
I'll be missing it. :(

Lagiacrus was so much cooler when he could swim. Generations Lagiacrus is a joke.

These threads would go entirely different if it's was on all platforms or simply switch exclusive sure of that

3/4 platforms is a massive improvement

How the fuck

- no local play
- spike difficulty from the start for new players (if the gameplay of the game stay the same as the other mh games
- no dark souls factor that make the sales of the games go up because of the word of mouth from the "challanges" that the game will make
- grinding, not interesting for the western gamer (if the gameplay stay the same as other mh)
- losing % of the enstablished western community player because of the change of console

I can go on and on, but the point is that: on paper it's predicted to be a really really really hard challange for capcom

Im sorry but this list is reductionist garbage that fed the hate towards the may gamers that werent thrilled to be locked down to 3DS for 6 damn years

This old way of looking at the series needs to be pitched in the garbage

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Apparently, there can't be many reasons why this is not called MH5 without it being some secret trick to put MH5 on Switch or de legitimizing World as a 'true' monster hunter game according to some people?

Damn, some people are very hysterical about this arent they?

Nintendo don't own monster Hunter. MH has not always been on handhelds. Get over it.

Rafus

LOL at the Nintendo butthurts.
For me the game looks very promising and I'm interested.
And it was bout time that a MH used current gen tech! A game so big will only benefit from more powerful consoles.

wwm0nkey

I don't think the Xbox version will sell gang Buster's, but the PS4 should do fine and PC will be huge. I imagine a Dark souls like population for it on PC

- no local play
- spike difficulty from the start for new players (if the gameplay of the game stay the same as the other mh games

None of that seems correct. And I've learned that a large number on here are Terrible at reading the casual market

Apparently, there can't be many reasons why this is not called MH5 without it being some secret trick to put MH5 on Switch or de legitimizing World as a 'true' monster hunter game according to some people?

Damn, some people are very hysterical about this arent they?

Nintendo don't own monster Hunter. MH has not always been on handhelds. Get over it.

Sanctuary

- no local play

I think you're off the mark when it comes to "grinding". Most of the most popular games here are almost nothing but grinding (via collection crap). As long as the advertising is adequate for the game, it will do just fine. Did the previous console versions have local play? Because I didn't realize that the PS2 and Wii versions flopped hard due to a lack of portability.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It makes sense for new comers and for original fans that didn't follow the series to Nintendo handhelds

LOL at the Nintendo butthurts.
For me the game looks very promising and I'm interested.
And it was bout time that a MH used current gen tech! A game so big will only benefit from more powerful consoles.

I'm not really a fan of any console in particular, I've critiqued Nintendo plenty of times in the past, but I can understand why some people are annoyed. Capcom could have at least ported XX to the west, it's kind of a dick move.

With that said, girlfriend and I are looking forward to a proper attempt at a next generation Monster Hunter (well, current gen).

lyrick

So you're worried about this happening in the West, even though it's never happened with previous games, because of the title?

Yeah, ok.

Yea... they really haven't had to worry about servers (or their costs) on a "world" wide scale since the original game.

MH -> they didn't charge WW audience (then again almost no one bought it WW)
MHG -> never came WW
MH2 -> never came WW
MHTri -> Nintendo covered the WW severs (and reduced hunter room size)

This is the first time Capcom would have to foot the bill for a MH server on a "World" scale in a very long time. Giving it a mmo styled name may given them the opportunity.

Monster Hunter is actually popular in Japan, so getting away with charging online fees was feasible there. Attempting to charge MHW-specific online fees on top of PS+/XBL would be counterproductive if they're even remotely serious about making the West care much more with this one.

They wouldn't charge on top of PS+/XBL, pay 2 play MMO's get a free pass from those additional paywalls.

I get where he is coming from, but in a world where GTA 5, Witcher3, Elder Scroll 5 and Civ 6 exists, this doesn't really matter at all.

I am wondering how much it will sell, it needs to sell better than MH4u worldwide for this effort to succeed.

Lelou

None of that seems correct. And I've learned that a large number on here are Terrible at reading the casual market

Well you can quote me on npd/media crate numbers, only time will see it after all..
For what i have seen on the last week, the major people that say that this game will not bomb, don't put ANY reason on the table.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not really a fan of any console in particular, I've critiqued Nintendo plenty of times in the past, but I can understand why some people are annoyed. Capcom could have at least ported XX to the west, it's kind of a dick move.

With that said, girlfriend and I are looking forward to a proper attempt at a next generation Monster Hunter (well, current gen).
Pisses me off I'm never going to be able to fight the Deviant Diablos.

le.phat

- no local play
- spike difficulty from the start for new players (if the gameplay of the game stay the same as the other mh games)

And no, even if it was on switch this game could potetially has be a failure on sales numbers, but probably less than releasing on a home console without local play (for the jp audience at least)

you've ben on a salt tour ever since the announcement. The last days have been filled with jolly crow pies and i can't wait for tomorrow to see you have some more.

Top Bottom