• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

What still baffles me is how Capcom claims the series up till now failed in the west, when all of their changes/approaches with World show that they never really gave a shit about properly promoting it in the west. Why did they never once attempt a worldwide release or servers before? Why did they largely leave it to Nintendo to publish/promote the game, especially in Europe? This company is a fucking mess

I like how they made efforts to localize all the psp games in the west, release mhtri on wii in the west, then release mhp3rd on psp but not localize to the west.

Taisaijin

This seems to scratch all my MH itches, can't wait for livestream to see this in all its glory.

Still sad XX isn't going to be localized.

no, its bad, it splits the franchise playerbase

switch exclusiv would be best kappa

I disagree entirely

Monster Hunter isnt some special snowflake among online multiplayer games. It has a legitimate shot at living amongst its contemporaries in this space

mas8705

- no portability for jp, bad sales in japan
- the game will not appeal the mainstream west gamer

I'm sorry, but the argument made here gets IMMEDIATELY! shot down the moment you remind yourself, "The reveal trailer was shown at E3." Had world been shown at the Tokyo Game Show, it would have been seen as yet another "Monster Hunter Game out of Japan." The fact that it was revealed at E3 shows the intention of releasing this for the western audience; something that (to my knowledge) has never happened before in the history of the series.

Lelou

you've ben on a salt tour ever since the announcement. The last days have been filled with jolly crow pies and i can't wait for tomorrow to see you have some more.

I don't even understand from what this came from.
We don't have 5 yo anymore...

Console war for me it's over from when i start to buy everything i wanted, in a very early age.
I try only to point out the reason of my thinking.

I don't get the trash reply at all.

if fucking Dark Souls and Persona and Fire Emblem can find footings in the west then so can Monster Hunter

you just need to put in more graphics and cinematics

So they wont tarnish the branding when this games bombs to hell and back.

Lol wow

It looks amazing and plenty of people are hyped

I predict it does great but i see salty members are continuing to ride the doom train instead getting pumped for a new generation

Chindogg

Looking at newer videos gives me hope. That said I still want a portable version. The game flourished as a portable by having in person MP for gatherings and such. Also as a traveler for business, MH was my go to game.

I'm hoping Capcom doesn't Cacpcom this game with DLC and other bullshit so it can succeed. It has potential to be successful in the west but it's really hard to rely on them making smart business decisions lately.

Lelou

I'm sorry, but the argument made here gets IMMEDIATELY! shot down the moment you remind yourself, "The reveal trailer was shown at E3." Had world been shown at the Tokyo Game Show, it would have been seen as yet another "Monster Hunter Game out of Japan." The fact that it was revealed at E3 shows the intention of releasing this for the western audience; something that (to my knowledge) has never happened before in the history of the series.

Places they choose to show it, don't say at all if people will like it or just even care about it.
For what i have seen, the response from the e3 public was really cold.
And on social networks and gaming sites, mainstream public didn't care it or even didn't knew what mh was

ZangBa

There is no chance in hell they charge an online fee on top of the already bullshit online fees that are PS+ and XBG. They are already taking a risk and I'm pretty sure they want to grow the franchise, this would outright kill it without a chance. Oh, God, this is Capcom. They might do it.

Places they choose to show it, don't say at all if people will like it or just even care about it.
And on social networks and gaming sites, mainstream public didn't care it or even didn't knew what mh was

Mainstream gamers love co op action games

The souls,nioh crowd would not be a huge leap and a PC release could capture a huge untapped market of enthusiasts

You guys are underselling the significance of their approach here.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
if fucking Dark Souls and Persona and Fire Emblem can find footings in the west then so can Monster Hunter

you just need to put in more graphics and cinematics
Doesn't even need that really. MH has a footing in the west already, they just want to expand it more.

How likely of a "success" this game will be is entirely dependent on Capcom's expectations for it. If they expect 3 million I would think that the game should do well in their projections. If they're expecting to bump this series to 5 million they're out of their minds.

I just hope for Capcom's sake they don't bloat expectations like they did for RE7 ever again.

MildSoss

Man, that looks really good.

I'm just glad the game is finally out of the 3DS ghetto so they can finally start pushing the franchise forward.

Hmm 4.5 mil views for the announcement trailer
1.5 for the gameplay trailer
(Only counting views from one channel each)

Likes seems fine
Reaction videos seem hyped

Where you looking. Neogaf is the most cynical I've seen of the game same with Spider-Man infact

Looking at newer videos gives me hope. That said I still want a portable version. The game flourished as a portable by having in person MP for gatherings and such. Also as a traveler for business, MH was my go to game.

I'm hoping Capcom doesn't Cacpcom this game with DLC and other bullshit so it can succeed. It has potential to be successful in the west but it's really hard to rely on them making smart business decisions lately.

I really hope it keeps the standard DLC of the portable games, with things like extra quests, monsters, and weapons/armor being released periodically for free (with promotional sets like the Samus one).

I could see going full DLC model for the G expansions though, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest, especially if priced less than the base game (not that I should expect that?).

Edit;
I just hope for Capcom's sake they don't bloat expectations like they did for RE7 ever again.
You can always count on Capcom to do the wrong thing.

Sanctuary

The souls,nioh crowd would not be a huge leap and a PC release could capture a huge untapped market of enthusiasts

It should be one of the first online PC action/adventure games with multiplayer that should actually be fantastic to look at in 4K/60 too. I'll more than likely end up double dipping too depending on how wide the gap is between the console and PC releases.

Neogaf is the most cynical I've seen of the game same with Spider-Man infact

??? Other than it being a straight up Arkham City clone, the reception has been mostly positive here.

lyrick

What makes this approach any different than how any other Console & PC hunting game was handled?

Lelou

You are just showing one thing.
Mh was already on many home console around on the past, if people was get interest from this brand, were already jump out and made a huge word of mouth as it happen for dark souls.
But it never happen in the last 15 years, from the release of mh on playstation 2, after on wii (how didn't had a wii on that time?) and after on ps3/wiiu.

Some franchise don't get the wester audience for many reason, and i really think that one of this is mh.

Rncewind

that some first class marketing analysis you did

did you also not claim japanese fans would hate it? I dont know if you speak japanese but the users of japanes forums i hang arround were very positiv about the annoucment

Lelou

Hmm 4.5 mil views for the announcement trailer
1.5 for the gameplay trailer
(Only counting views from one channel each)

Likes seems fine
Reaction videos seem hyped

Where you looking. Neogaf is the most cynical I've seen of the game same with Spider-Man infact

This number could even only came from the japanese community.
Other than this biggest eu gaming sites has 0 to 15 comments on news on mh, didn't made up on proper research on us sites, but i will on future.

I can say for sure that for now, people are not interested at all on mh, and the only ones that are, they think it's a Horizon less story based game..

Other than this biggest eu gaming sites has 0 to 15 comments on news on mh, didn't made up on proper research on us sites, but i will on future.

I can say for sure that for now, people are not interested at all on mh, and the only one that are, they think it's a Horizon less story based game..
Like what...
So the number came from the Japanese community yet it'll bomb there as well right?

Lelou

that some first class marketing analysis you did

did you also not claim japanese fans would hate it? I dont know if you speak japanese but the users of japanes forums i hang arround were very positiv about the annoucment

Never said that japanese audience will hate it, but no local coop and portability will make a HUGE drop on sales numbers.
That's not make jp numbers being less interesting, but it's still a factor

You are just showing one thing.
Mh was already on many home console around on the past, if people was get interest from this brand, were already jump out and made a huge word of mouth as it happen for dark souls.
But it never happen in the last 15 years, from the release of mh on playstation 2, after on wii (how didn't had a wii on that time?) and after on ps3/wiiu.

Some franchise don't get the wester audience for many reason, and i really think that one of this is mh.

They never met the demands of the base whith every release past PS2

Do i seriously have to explain why the online gaming crowd ignored Tri and 3U?!?

Online gamers were playing all their games on 360 and Ps3 and were accustomed to the benefits those ecosystems provided for playing online

Wii was a joke for casual blue ocean audience and hampered the experience with wii speak and no ethernet port

WiiU had the best console release ever made in 3 Ultimate but again... the system was already failing right out of the gate

Many players scoffed at the series for being exclusive when many online gamers could enjoy big online games on their platforms of choice Including other big capcom franchise like RE5 and Street fighter

Monster hunter stands out as being the series of "too little, too late" in the west. Now we can finally see if MHW can break the mold.

And you guys are trying to crap over it and stay stuck in the past

6 years and 5 3DS games was enough

Sanctuary

Like what...
So the number came from the Japanese community yet it'll bomb there as well right?

His claim about it being seen as a storyless Horizon is ridiculous too. Do people really have that short of a memory and attention span that just because Horizon is still relatively "fresh" in people's minds, that they forget about how it looked more like Monster Hunter?

I can say for sure that for now, people are not interested at all on mh, and the only ones that are, they think it's a Horizon less story based game..

I dont believe you or consider you an authority on the matter

Stop saying you know anything for sure going forward

So we've got the usual suspects coming in to shit up another Monster Hunter World thread with "it's not a real Monster Hunter game", "It's not Monster Hunter 5", "Portability or GTFO". This is going to become tiresome if every thread divulges into this between now and early 2018.

Blame Sony America for that

It is not going to bomb, but it is going to be how abandoning the japanese market will pay of

They're not abandoning the Japanese market at all. But hey, may the egg rest on your face in two years time when Japan is flocking to stores in order to buy the next MH game for Switch.

Lelou

They never met the demands of the base whith every release past PS2

Do i seriously have to explain why the online gaming crowd ignored Tri and 3U?!?

Online gamers were playing all their games on 360 and Ps3 and were accustomed to the benefits those ecosystems provided for playing online

Wii was a joke for casual blue ocean audience and hampered the experience with wii speak and no ethernet port

WiiU had the best console release ever made in 3 Ultimate but again... the system was already failing right out of the gate

Many players scoffed at the series for being exclusive when many online gamers could enjoy big online games on their platforms of choice Including other big capcom franchise like RE5 and Street fighter

Monster hunter stands out as being the series of "too little, too late" in the west. Now we can finally see if MHW can break the mold.

And you guys are trying to crap over it and stay stuck in the past

6 years and 5 3DS games was enough

You didn't give me strong reason why all this home console release could not take the western audience they want to aim now.
Exclusivity can't be a reason, if there are on the market 100m console and potential costumers with the same probability to took the game.
Online pc/x360/ps3 frontier games were there, but no one was interested on them, and i can even make a bet that a marketing push was not going to change anything.

Like i said i has no problem with the platform it will come this game, i have a ps4, a pc, a switch and a 3ds.. I could be happy in any case.
I'm just pointing out, that in my opinion, it will be a fail on the west side and probably on the jp ones too (if you count on it the cost of development)

I dont believe you or consider you an authority on the matter

Stop saying you know anything for sure going forward

I can't say my opinion then?

You didn't give me strong reason why all this home console release could not take the western audience they want to aim now.
Exclusivity can't be a reason, if there are on the market 100m console and potential costumers with the same probability to took the game.
Online pc/x360/ps3 frontier games were there, but no one was interested on them, and i can even make a bet that a marketing push was not going to change anything.

Like i said i has no problem with the platform it will come this game, i have a ps4, a pc, a switch and a 3ds.. I could be happy in any case.
I'm just pointing out, that in my opinion, it will be a fail on the west side and probably on the jp ones too (if you count on it the cost of development)

Frontier is your counter argument?!?

The game we both never got but was also not even made by the same people?

Cmon now

K' Dash

Lol wow

It looks amazing and plenty of people are hyped

I predict it does great but i see salty members are continuing to ride the doom train instead getting pumped for a new generation

Lol what? this IP found moderate success on Portable consoles specially in Japan, now Capcom tries the opposite (surprise, they already tried and failed) and expect to hit it out of the park? please...

It's not a doom train, just doesn't make sense. I didn't see people excited looking for more info on MH at E3, also,I don't think there's much hope with Capcom dropping the ball a lot lately.

Lelou

Frontier is your counter argument?!?

The game we both never got but was also not even made by the same people?

Cmon now

You can work with your immagination or you can work with the history of a brand in a market.
Only this you can do.

Capcom made a bet, a huge bet.
It's your choice to belive on it, or not.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So they pretty much confirmed that a main series MH game is still skipping the Switch entirely. How baffling.

Eh. I would wait till 2018 before assuming this. I'm sure Switch will get a gen 5 title assuming Capcom isn't totally inept.

still certian "MH5" will be on Switch. though it'll probably be billed as a spinoff or whatever
I don't see "5" being used in any capacity unless their attempt at establishing the "World" branding utterly bombs, which it won't.

I've never played MH to the full extent of its franchise life but I think it's appropriate to call it world rather than 5. I feel like it's a way for people like me who isn't familiar with the franchise to join the foundation of what's going to be MH a moving forward without any prior knowledge. And all the things I'm hearing about this game is so modern that I want to play it even more now than to go back and play the others ones I wasn't too thrilled with .....so kudos to capcom on this. I feel bad for the fans though who wanted it to be a sequel. A refresh is a good thing tho

lyrick

They're not going to bring MMO fees to a non-MMO in the West.

Why not?

It wouldn't make fiscal sense to not want to charge the Japan players this time around, that's just leaving money on the table. It also wouldn't make sense to put WW & Japan on the same servers and charge one locale and not the other. By naming it "World" they definitely have the opportunity to do so.

Also Sega charged for PSOep1&2 and Universe WW so it's not like it's never happened before.

Top Bottom