• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh okay, a relatively simple reason as well. Interesting.
They cover this same reasoning in the Glixel interview when they explain why they chose World after explaining why they didn't pick 5. It's the cenrtral theme of what's new in the game.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
What still baffles me is how Capcom claims the series up till now failed in the west, when all of their changes/approaches with World show that they never really gave a shit about properly promoting it in the west. Why did they never once attempt a worldwide release or servers before? Why did they largely leave it to Nintendo to publish/promote the game, especially in Europe? This company is a fucking mess

I'm honestly wondering how Capcom's marketing is going to go with this game, since the other thread brought up a good point regarding how Capcom likes to let other publishers do the brunt of marketing work for them as of late. RE7 and MH4U are good examples of this.

I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point."
They're really looking for those new players.
And to be fair, it's working. I've never played a MH game but I've got my eyes on this one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm honestly wondering how Capcom's marketing is going to go with this game, since the other thread brought up a good point regarding how Capcom likes to let other publishers do the brunt of marketing work for them as of late. RE7 and MH4U for example
I would propose that Capcom let streamers do the marketing work for RE7.

It's not even that good of a title. Makes it sound more like an MMO than anything else (which a lot of people assumed when it was trademarked). I would've just straight through with Monster Hunter 5 if they had the balls or just simply branded it as Monster Hunter to signify what's supposed to be a fresh start for the series in the west.

What still baffles me is how Capcom claims the series up till now failed in the west, when all of their changes/approaches with World show that they never really gave a shit about properly promoting it in the west. Why did they never once attempt a worldwide release or servers before? Why did they largely leave it to Nintendo to publish/promote the game, especially in Europe? This company is a fucking mess

They must have been pretty comfortable with their arrangement with Nintendo, but knowing that 3DS wouldn't sustain them forever, a need to create growth elsewhere (Japan is saturated) and with no suitable Nintendo platform to move over to at the time, the decision to bring other console into the mix was probably quite an easy one.

They never said the franchise failed in the west. They just said there's room for it to grow and, rightfully so, don't believe that 3DS is the right platform to facilitate that growth. While we can quote MH4U's awesome overseas sales and the fact the series is portable all we like, there's a huge install base of console players who like both action and multiplayer games that COULD take to this game if it's made and marketed in the right way. It would stupid of Capcom to ignore this opportunity, regardless of how it turns out.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
They can save the 5 title in case World bombs lol.

I mean, there are two beneficial reasons for why avoiding "5" works out for them. The one provided in the OP makes a lot of sense particularly with regards to them wanting to grow a new player base. Holding 5 away just in case they would need to use it, though I doubt they'll need to, works out in their favor this way as well.

Korigama

I only see the lack of a number as hedging their bets, regardless of their attempts at justifications.

Certainly didn't hurt something like Persona 5, if discussing long-running franchises.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I would propose that Capcom let streamers do the marketing work for RE7.

Looking at how MHW has been presented so far, this makes a lot of sense as well. They brought it quite a few well known faces within the MH community to plug the game and give impressions. They may take that route again.

Hindl

Makes sense to me. Plus if for some reason this doesn't do well they still have 5 in their back pocket if they want to go back to that title

Galang

Banned
I like the reasoning behind the number a lot and wish more games did this. If this game does poorly I totally see them adding 5 to the next game and pretending this one never happened tho

lyrick

The name sounds like an easy way to bring the Hunters license monthly fees over with the title.

Just because you didn't have to pay to play for MH, Tri, or 4U well this game's title is World and World wide server costs are expensive.

They must have been pretty comfortable with their arrangement with Nintendo, but knowing that 3DS wouldn't sustain them forever, a need to create growth elsewhere (Japan is saturated) and with no suitable Nintendo platform to move over to at the time, the decision to bring other console into the mix was probably quite an easy one.

They never said the franchise failed in the west. They just said there's room for it to grow and, rightfully so, don't believe that 3DS is the right platform to facilitate that growth. While we can quote MH4U's awesome overseas sales and the fact the series is portable all we like, there's a huge install base of console players who like both action and multiplayer games that COULD take to this game if it's made and marketed in the right way. It would stupid of Capcom to ignore this opportunity, regardless of how it turns out.

The 3DS would've grown into Nintendo's next handheld. It's not like the PS4/XBO are going to last forever either. It's a nonsensical reason

In a world where The Witcher 3, the Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3 and, hell, Final Fantasy VII were tremendous successes that turbocharged their popularity the world over, I'm not all that positive that the sentiment of new players thinking that they're "missing out" due to the number at the end of the title is all that compelling an argument.

If you check Witcher 3 logo they made everything they could to make it look like it's not III

unnamed.png

nubbe

I really liked what I was in the video, shows great potential.
It will be interesting if the stream demo will be the same or something different.

Kyoufu

The 3DS would've grown into Nintendo's next handheld. It's not like the PS4/XBO are going to last forever either. It's a nonsensical reason

PS4/XB1/PC software sales dwarf Nintendo's business worldwide. Going after the biggest install bases in the world is far from nonsensical.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Go on, jab that 5 on just in Japan.
14624_front.jpg

PSP would have grown into Vita in Japan as well. Deals get made.

PC around forever though, and full MonHun heading there is a big deal.

trixx

Yep looks like the next mainline game alright. Looks pretty ambitious, could be very popular on consoles/PC.

Monster Hunter world makes it sound like and MMO type game, anyways definitely down to get it on consoles

Coreda

If you check Witcher 3 logo they made everything they could to make it look like it's not III

unnamed.png

Not sure that was the reason. They improved the logo and its balance from its previous design, with a subtle reference to the Wild Hunt's Eredin helmet for the 'III'. All written references were still 'The Witcher 3'.

The dedicated handheld market has seen a huge decline and even with it's relative success, the 3DS's software sales are dwarfed by what we're seeing on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. The Switch is proving to be a success, but it's not going to make up for that software sales deficit, let's be honest. It's only nonsensical to people who don't see the bigger picture.

His reason was that people are afraid of numbers lol

That's the lamest lie I've ever heard.

Just be honest that you want the next numbered one to be the most significant entry.

Fucking capcpom is such garbage these days.

Whether it has a 5 in the title or not is irrelevant to whether it is a mainline entry in the series. So long as it's the main development team and mechanically it evolves the gameplay and moves the franchise forwards, it's a mainline entry.

That Capcom even feel the need to give an answer to this is sad. It's clearly tentpole release for them in probably their most important franchise.

Chauzu

No idea to try and reason here and suggest that not completely abandoning current western fanbase by both not bringing XX over nor porting W to a handheld might not be the best move.

I hope MHW does well for the fans of the series but Capcom keeps making mind boggling decisions.

Philippo

I wonder what titles will the Switch get.
Portable? X2?

Anyway, i hope this is good enough to finally push some PS4s in Japan.

Kyoufu

Whether it has a 5 in the title or not is irrelevant to whether it is a mainline entry in the series. So long as it's the main development team and mechanically it evolves the gameplay and moves the franchise forwards, it's a mainline entry.

That Capcom even feel the need to give an answer to this is sad. It's clearly tentpole release for them in probably their most important franchise.

Well there's a subset of fans who wouldn't want to play a spinoff like Frontier, Online or Stories, so it makes sense to reassure those people that this is the next main game.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
No idea to try and reason here and suggest that not completely abandoning current western fanbase by both not bringing XX over nor porting W to a handheld might not be the best move.

I hope MHW does well for the fans of the series but Capcom keeps making mind boggling decisions.

They're making a great play for the west. MH on all platforms is the ideal for all regions, but you're right that they missed a spot.

Just be honest that you want the next numbered one to be the most significant entry.

But this the first time MH looks good for the time and it has new gameplay mechanics. Seems significant enough to be MH5, which it basically is. :^) Newcomers are more likely to jump into a game that isn't explicitly the 5th entry in the series.

mas8705

I've seen the leak footage once, but that was all I needed to get hyped since for the parts we were at least able to see showed more than what I needed to be happy. Of course, whose to say what we'll see tomorrow, but if it is a more clean cut of what was demoed at E3, then I can't wait to see it.

As for the title itself, it does make sense to avoid the whole "Numbering issue" and how it could cause people to back away.
If I recall correctly, there are some (not all) that seem to take pride at playing Monster Hunter "FROM THE VERY BEGINNING!" while ridiculing those who jumped on later like at around Monster Hunter Tri, or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
Still, I won't be shocked if we see a slight name change in either the English or Japanese version of the game and just straight out call it: Monster Hunter 5: World

This post is garbage. If you don't want to believe them and instead, believe in your own made up version of events then go ahead. Doesn't make it any less true.

Monster Hunter World is the most significant entry. Look at the dev team, look at the resources being put into it. I'm not sure why so many people have trouble wrapping their heads around this (although I think I might know the reason and it rhymes with "monsole boars").

Yeah, you know why bro. hehe.

Toxi

Banned

Monster Hunter World is the most significant upcoming entry. Look at the dev team, look at the resources being put into it. I'm not sure why so many people have trouble wrapping their heads around this (although I think I might know the reason and it rhymes with "monsole boars")

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If they went through that as planned, I guarantee you that the backlash would have made whatever people complained about in MGS5 look like a tempest in a teacup.
That was clearly a fraud to hype the game, nothing in PW is anywhere near the quality of gameplay, story and production value that a main MGS, or any good game, needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom will do MH5 after MHW.

Eusis

Don't believe Capcom's lies. There had been Monster Hunter games on consoles before and they were never as successful as the portable ones.
Expect the real MH5 on the Switch or something portable once this fake MH5 underperformes.
They are probably considering that as an exit strategy.

But honestly I kind of expect that their plan now is to return to the 1-3 format of having main games on consoles then doing a (somewhat) lower scale game on handhelds. Which might be why Capcom wanted that extra ram, so that Monster Hunter Freedom World could stay close to higher end version.

Top Bottom