• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
As a Monster Hunter fan, I do not comprehend how you could still be looking forward to MHXX after seeing MH World. MHX1 already felt stale and in desperate need of evolution (if 4 didn't already), so why would I still want its expansion pack? We should be grateful that PS2-tier MH is burried and we're finally able to move on.
MHW doesn't have Generations mechanics I love, while XX has all the stuff I have from Generations with added content. Not hard to see why. MHW might be good but I don't know all the details about that product, hence I'm not completely sold. XX, on the other hand, was already released.

moozoom

As a Monster Hunter fan, I do not comprehend how you could still be looking forward to MHXX after seeing MH World. MHX1 already felt stale and in desperate need of evolution (if 4 didn't already), so why would I still want its expansion pack? We should be grateful that PS2-tier MH is burried and we're finally able to move on.

I'm looking forward to (an eventual) MHXX on switch because I want to be able to play with my boyfriend in local co-op, and have monster hunter parties with 2 other friends like we did with Tri, MH4, and MHX.

I'm all for evolution and I'll buy MHWorld, but this game will prohibit me from playing at home with friends. I'm not a fan of playing online with strangers, and I definitely won't buy another Tv and Ps4 to be able to play with the boyfriend. And I"m sure that will concern a part of the fanbase.

Besides, for grindy games like MH, being able to take the game everywhere is a blessing.

Is that really hard to understand ? Seem pretty obvious to me.

Do people really think like that with games with higher numbers?

I do. It's why I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since Brotherhood. I didn't play Revelations because I'd had enough of Ezio and it just sounded like another retread, and when 3 rolled around I didn't want to play it because I missed out on Revelations.

Also why I was really tentative picking up Witcher Wild III Hunt. And why I didn't want to play Diablo 3. And why I didn't want to play Uncharted 2 until I got the first one.

Freiya

They're really looking for those new players.
And to be fair, it's working. I've never played a MH game but I've got my eyes on this one.

Same here! Granted I've always wanted to try one but I don't do handhelds so I've been waiting for this opportunity. I feel like this should have happened a long time ago.

Sayad

I can't stand this argument. Makes me roll my eyes whenever I see it. "Splitting the playerbase" has never been a problem for Call of Duty, Battlefield, Overwatch, Destiny or the multitude of other popular MP games. Why is it suddenly a problem with Monster Hunter?

People who want to play it with friends will be sure to buy it on the platform their friends buy it on. Community fragmentation through multiplatform development is a myth. This is a non-issue.
This, not to mention that they're going with one world wide server now, so unless you played MH on the Japanese servers before, this will easily be the biggest MH online community available to us in the west since the start of the series if you go with PS4 or PC versions and maybe even the X1 version! It's not like it's hard to top MH previous western sales!

Kneefoil

I do when there's a story involved. But with Monster Hunter? Erm... I've never felt that Monster Hunter was very big on story. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard anyone mention story in any Monster Hunter game, so I've kinda assumed there really isn't any. I would have no issue hopping in on 5 if I was interested.

Ridley327

I do when there's a story involved. But with Monster Hunter? Erm... I've never felt that Monster Hunter was very big on story. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard anyone mention story in any Monster Hunter game, so I've kinda assumed there really isn't any. I would have no issue hopping in on 5 if I was interested.

The plot is almost entirely the same in each game and always assumes you've never played a Monster Hunter game in your life. The only thing that changes is the setting and the names of the monster that everyone thinks is causing havoc to the village and the name of the monster that's actually causing havoc to the village. Even with the addition of voice acting, I suspect that we will still be a fledgling hunter that mysteriously comes prepared with the basic version of each weapon and are told by a comically gruff village chief that we may one day be strong enough to fight against the monster that so happens to be on the cover of the game.

ldar247

Banned
They're really looking for those new players.
And to be fair, it's working. I've never played a MH game but I've got my eyes on this one.

It seems amazing as a lapsed fan as well. I got burned out on the series after sinking hundreds of hours into FU and 3U and this is the first one in a while that actually interests me because of all of the improvements/overhauls they seem to be making. They really made the right call by upping the budget and making a console/PC game instead of doing another one in the vein of the 3DS and PSP games.

It seems amazing as a lapsed fan as well. I got burned out on the series after sinking hundreds of hours into FU and 3U and this is the first one in a while that actually interests me because of all of the improvements/overhauls they seem to be making. They really made the right call by upping the budget and making a console/PC game instead of doing another one in the vein of the 3DS and PSP games.

You are gonna love the huge changes thee game has received in 4th Gen and now 5th gen

The gameplay progression has reached a fever pitch

Aerial combat is a blast

ldar247

Banned
You are gonna love the huge changes thee game has received in 4th Gen and now 5th gen

The gameplay progression has reached a fever pitch

Aerial combat is a blast

I did try to play 4U and gave up on it after not even 10 hours I think. It just wasn't anywhere near enough.

Oersted

So we've got the usual suspects coming in to shit up another Monster Hunter World thread with "it's not a real Monster Hunter game", "It's not Monster Hunter 5", "Portability or GTFO". This is going to become tiresome if every thread divulges into this between now and early 2018.

They're not abandoning the Japanese market at all. But hey, may the egg rest on your face in two years time when Japan is flocking to stores in order to buy the next MH game for Switch.

Releasing the game on PS4 only is not as much pandering to the market as they did previously with PSP/PS2/Wii/3DS games. More on a Wii U level.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Don't believe Capcom's lies. There had been Monster Hunter games on consoles before and they were never as successful as the portable ones.
Expect the real MH5 on the Switch or something portable once this fake MH5 underperformes.

Holy Shit, where did Capcom hurt you

There trying to open up to the Western market
They want to see if they can make money off a franchise where if they try to capture a higher pool of players it will benefit everyone

Damn so many butt hurt people, all salty cause a new generation of game trying something new
Hilarious that somehow a number is giving people who played MH titty attacks

I never played MH, but with console release and a more refined co-op experience at home rather than handheld, it will be my first purchase
So I'm guessing Capcom is doing something right

lyrick

I'm not surprised. Do you ever actually post about Monster Hunter outside console war nonsense?

Not being sold on this entry isn't console war bullshit, there's a fuck ton of questionable shit going on that could easily make fans of the series concerned.

Is there anything wrong with him? I'm new and all but I've not seen him derail or pushing agendas or stuff.

I don't want to derail this thread, but if you're ever in doubt, you can check the post history. : p

I've certainly seen the sentiment enough in the past to think it's genuinely a thing. For example, even on NeoGAF, I've seen quite a few threads asking others if playing the prior games is necessary or beneficial before jumping into the latest entry. For the general public that isn't as well-informed, seeing an entry that's on its fourth or fifth iteration might be a decent deterrent.

NewGame

Banned
I'm still not sold in the new gameplay. I need to feel it with my two cold claws Capcom calls hands.

Hopefully there is a demo.

As a Monster Hunter fan... I do not comprehend how you could still be looking forward to MHXX after seeing MH World. MHX1 already felt stale and in desperate need of evolution (if 4 didn't already), so why would I still want its expansion pack? We should be grateful that PS2-tier MH is burried and we're finally able to move on.
*eye roll*

Toxi

Banned
G rank with Generations styles and arts, plus some new/returning monsters. I fucking love Diablos (yes, I'm weird), so naturally I want to fight Deviant Diablos, and I won't be able to.

I'm personally disappointed by their decision not to localize it.

JayDub

Same reason "Peace Walker" wasn't MGS5, even though Kojima claimed it was.

And then MGS5 was actually released.

Delio

So what will come after World then if they are dropping the numbers? Just various subtitles then? Cause I dont expect a G release when that can just be DLC.

Bullshit. People are annoyed that XX isn't being localised - and World is why. But again you haven't played MH so why do you presume to know what this is about.

Well, to be frank, we've had a couple of threads dedicated to the unfortunate situation surrounding XX's localization. This thread is specifically about Monster Hunter: World, so it's quite annoying when it's used as a dumping ground for anger over another matter.

Raide

So what will come after World then if they are dropping the numbers? Just various subtitles then? Cause I dont expect a G release when that can just be DLC.

Potentially World becomes the main home consoles MH game and things like Generations XX etc become the handheld Spinoff games.

I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point."

We've heard devs say this about some other titles right? I can't seem to recall them but the quote is familiar. Even GT7/Sport had something like this but the reasoning was a little different.

Do you think it will outsell the Portable series in one swoop?

It may hit MH Tri numbers will all platforms combined. I don't see much room for setting records here.

I don't think very many people believe it'll outsell the portable series, but I will say that the PC version is an unknown quantity that could push some impressive sales numbers. I've said this a few times, but if you take a look at Dragon's Dogma on Steam — a years late port of an IP much less popular than Monster Hunter — it's sitting at over 700k copies sold. With Monster Hunter being a proper online multiplayer game that resonates rather strongly with the Souls fanbase, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 1.5-2m on Steam eventually.

GraveRobberX

Bullshit. People are annoyed that XX isn't being localised - and World is why. But again you haven't played MH so why do you presume to know what this is about.

They're trying to grab new players
You can say XX is the new shit and people who never played a MH will buy into it

They are being lenient with World. So I haven't played, but I know of MH as a franchise and hoped one day we would get MH on consoles

So right now XX is on hold, MHW given the go to get a new pool of players into the universe, if it works well XX and all other MH will follow suit

Only thing I'm presuming is some of ya'll are too fucking insular and think MH owes you something, that they've somehow backstabbed you
The game looked amazing, people are interested (I mean Dinosaurs + Co-Op + Hunting them), and it's coming to consoles in HD with the company backing it up

MH fans should be excited that they might get a bigger community, more people joining the ranks, but first page all I see is "when this bombs, why isn't this called 5, waaah waaah waaaah"

Toxi

Banned
They're trying to grab new players
You can say XX is the new shit and people who never played a MH will buy into it

They are being lenient with World. So I haven't played, but I know of MH as a franchise and hoped one day we would get MH on consoles

So right now XX is on hold, MHW given the go to get a new pool of players into the universe, if it works well XX and all other MH will follow suit

Only thing I'm presuming is some of ya'll are too fucking insular and think MH owes you something, that they've somehow backstabbed you
The game looked amazing, people are interested (I mean Dinosaurs + Co-Op + Hunting them), and it's coming to consoles in HD with the company backing it up

MH fans should be excited that they might get a bigger community, more people joining the ranks, but first page all I see is "when this bombs, why isn't this called 5, waaah waaah waaaah"
Can people who haven't played Monster Hunter quit trying to tell Monster Hunter fans how they should feel?

Delio

Potentially World becomes the main home consoles MH game and things like Generations XX etc become the handheld Spinoff games.

Wouldn't the handheld stuff just be called MHW Portable at that point. They wouldnt keep going on with Generations there. Also that still doesn't answer my question as what would be the next title.

jackal27

Banned
MHW doesn't have Generations mechanics I love, while XX has all the stuff I have from Generations with added content. Not hard to see why. MHW might be good but I don't know all the details about that product, hence I'm not completely sold. XX, on the other hand, was already released.
Same. I really love styles, weapon arts, and playing as the cats. MHW still has some stuff that looks kind of rough to me. I'm not sold on it yet, but I know MHXX will be something I will love.

Can people who haven't played Monster Hunter quit trying to tell Monster Hunter fans how they should feel?
dhMeAzK.gif

GraveRobberX

Can MH fans stop telling people who are interested in the game to stop shitpisting and being salty that they aren't getting a port

Go do that somewhere else

jackal27

Banned
Can MH fans stop telling people who are interested in the game to stop shitpisting and being salty that they aren't getting a port

No.

The conversation about MHW is entwined with the conversation about MHXX. MHW's most touted feature is how it is shifting around the series' staples. You can't have a conversation about that without talking about and comparing it to other games in the series. You're free to be excited, but if you don't even understand the game in the first place, why are you telling the ones who do to stop analyzing it?

No. The conversation about MHW is intwined with the conversation about MHXX. MHW's biggest feature and marketing is about how it is shifting around the series' staples. You can't have a conversation about that without talking about and comparing it to other games in the series.
No it's really not every world thread absolutely does not have to be about this game bombing or y'all not getting the other entry. Never mind the fact a "fan" shouldn't want a game in their series to bomb anyway. There's an entire thread for y'all to voice concerns about that title not coming over this is a different title and ppl are trying to get into the series me included

Fiendcode

That's actually not that dumb.
It's a solid rationale for the west where they need to grow the franchise but not really in Japan where it's already one of the biggest series in gaming.

The next portable version will likely just be called "World: Portable" and be Switch exclusive.

You're welcome Capcom.
There's a lot of directions they could go.

Monster Hunter X2
Monster Hunter World Portable
Monster Hunter 5

Any would make some sense.

Raide

Wouldn't the handheld stuff just be called MHW Portable at that point. They wouldnt keep going on with Generations there. Also that still doesn't answer my question as what would be the next title.

I personally think it massively depends on how World performs. If it does well, MH5 appears once they have hooked enough console players into how things work. They may as well do PS4/PC/Xb1 and Switch.

If it does poorly, I can see Capcom seeing their console expansion experiment as an utter failure and they will retract what World does fresh and move onto a 3DS/Switch game probably also called MH5.

Ridley327

Let me get this straight: your comment is suggesting that you want people to stop telling you to not shitpost, and you want to continue down that road?

I really want to be clear, because that might actually be the most insane comment that this thread has produced.

jackal27

Banned
No it's really not every world thread absolutely does not have to be about this game bombing or y'all not getting the other entry. Never mind the fact a "fan" shouldn't want a game in their series to bomb anyway. There's an entire thread for y'all to voice concerns about that title not coming over this is a different title and ppl are trying to get into the series me included
I think I missed the part where I said that I want MHW to bomb? Or even that I'm not excited about it? This is the thread with the leaked gameplay vid of MHW's changes, so naturally we are going to discuss them. I'm not seeing the problem here.

dtm808

The real question is how hard will Capcom jag on the PC version? I am going to assume the absolute worst possible situation where we will get it a year after consoles. I say this because when i hear Capcom say "at a later date", it sets off red flags for me. I really really hope im wrong though.

Also i wish it was called MH5 : World. I just hate when games/movies drop numbers and use cliche subtitles for everything but whatever its just a name.

Ridley327

The real question is how hard will Capcom jag on the PC version? I am going to assume the absolute worst possible situation where we will get it a year after consoles. I say this because when i hear Capcom say "at a later date", it sets off red flags for me. I really really hope im wrong though.

Also i wish it was called MH5 : World. I just hate when games/movies drop numbers and use cliche subtitles for everything but whatever its just a name.

I'd assume that they'll release the PC version after they make their DLC plans known, so that the dataminers won't have the leg up this time around. I'm not expecting that big a gap, but long enough to be annoying.

Top Bottom