• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isnt called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

I think I missed the part where I said that I want MHW to bomb? Or even that I'm not excited about it? This is the thread with the leaked gameplay vid of MHW's changes, so naturally we are going to discuss them. I'm not seeing the problem here.
You look thru this thread and tell me who's actually comparing them gameplay wise by all means. Most of the tread are ppl going lol it's not 5 because it may bomb,not supporting it cuz they screwed over the fanbase I could go on

Raide

The real question is how hard will Capcom jag on the PC version? I am going to assume the absolute worst possible situation where we will get it a year after consoles. I say this because when i hear Capcom say "at a later date", it sets off red flags for me. I really really hope im wrong though.

Also i wish it was called MH5 : World. I just hate when games/movies drop numbers and use cliche subtitles for everything but whatever its just a name.

I am thinking Feb/March for Consoles...Summer will be the PC version. As for how well they do on the port...who knows! I am hoping they have learn loads from finally bringing it to next-gen hardware and updating things massively that is translates over to a good PC port

Do you think it will outsell the Portable series in one swoop?

It may hit MH Tri numbers will all platforms combined. I don't see much room for setting records here.

I think there is opportunity for MH to be big on PC. Its too bad Capcom will probably fuck that up by releasing it late. Even saying that World probably wont do portable numbers.

I wonder if World has G Rank and how many large monsters vanilla will have. If it is like Tri people new to the series will probably be pissed and confused.

Vengal

As much as I like prowler gameplay I've never really recovered from the first betrayal of moving from PS3 to Nintendo. I bought a wiiu assuming that we'd get split development and always have a wiiu version as well as a 3ds version but nope exclusively on the 3ds.

I had considered buying a capture system so I could play the 3ds on the TV but something felt wrong about generations. It not having g rank, it being a mishmash of new ideas and old monsters. It felt like the kind of thing you do when your main team is working on something else.

I think the story of monster hunter is don't be surprised when it betrays your platform.

Ps2-psp-pc-xbox360-3ds-wii-3ds-wiiu-3ds-switch-finally modern-3DS again probably

The name sounds like an easy way to bring the Hunters license monthly fees over with the title.

Just because you didn't have to pay to play for MH, Tri, or 4U well this game's title is World and World wide server costs are expensive.

calm down lol

PKrockin

I wonder what the drop-in system means for the two separate quest lines the series has traditionally had. Will there still be a village quest line where you can't bring in friends, or will both lines be merged to one? Will the monster defense change mid-quest if you start the quest solo and then summon other players in?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
You look thru this thread and tell me who's actually comparing them gameplay wise by all means. Most of the tread are ppl going lol it's not 5 because it may bomb,not supporting it cuz they screwed over the fanbase I could go on

To be fair with that point, it pertains to Capcom's marketing decisions with MHW's name, and is relevant to the thread. I think discussing the pros and cons as to Capcom avoiding the "5" are fair game.

Now, I agree that presenting such an argument with a predictive answer (like "it will fail") with no quantitative evidence is crystal ball lunacy that shouldn't be entertained.

Ridley327

I wonder what the drop-in system means for the two separate quest lines the series has traditionally had. Will there still be a village quest line where you can't bring in friends, or will both lines be merged to one? Will the monster defense change mid-quest if you start the quest solo and then summon other players in?

I would assume that the structure means that there's no separation between village and guild quests this time around, as there's no local mutiplayer to have to account for in this title.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Let me get this straight: your comment is suggesting that you want people to stop telling you to not shitpost, and you want to continue down that road?

I really want to be clear, because that might actually be the most insane comment that this thread has produced.

No, I'm asking those that are MH fans to relax with from the first page of saying this game will fail
My first quote was to a poster that console version always fail

Then I got quoted to not tell true fans how the feel, when I'm just asking if you want to bring all the XX stuff cool, but don't shitpost that a game not released will fail just cause you want it to fail so it can go back to being what was

I like MH, know of it, wasn't on my console. I didn't see no interest in owning a 3ds or Wii/WiiU, so I'm interested into getting to know more about the series and franchise, but rather than be welcoming more are upset that they've been scorned by the company they think is abandoning them
That's all, I just wanted to read posts of reactions and newer info from video which I may not know or miss

Kyoufu

This thread is embarrassing, but that was to be expected.

I'm just happy that in the age of Japanese companies gravitating towards mobile platforms that we're still getting a console/PC game with a decent budget behind it, allowing for updated systems and mechanics that haven't been touched for at least a decade, a game with a worldwide simultaneous release and worldwide servers.

12 hours to go until Capcom's gameplay stream of the E3 demo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like how whenever topics about Crash Bandicoot and Monster Hunter World appear, they slowly become thinly veiled console warrior threads.

This thread is embarrassing, but that was to be expected.

I'm just happy that in the age of Japanese companies gravitating towards mobile platforms that we're still getting a console/PC game with a decent budget behind it, allowing for updated systems and mechanics that haven't been touched for at least a decade, a game with a worldwide simultaneous release and worldwide servers.

12 hours to go until Capcom's gameplay stream of the E3 demo.
Say what? How'd I miss this announcement!

ArjanN

I like how whenever topics about Crash Bandicoot and Monster Hunter World appear, they slowly become thinly veiled console warrior threads.

That basically applies to every thread about exclusives or anthing that can be seen as console warrior ammuniton.

Most series drop the number after it gets too high because people are less likely to jump in. Pretty much every game and movie franchise does it as well, and trying to read some tinfoil theory into it is dumb.

No it's really not every world thread absolutely does not have to be about this game bombing or y'all not getting the other entry. Never mind the fact a "fan" shouldn't want a game in their series to bomb anyway. There's an entire thread for y'all to voice concerns about that title not coming over this is a different title and ppl are trying to get into the series me included
When world comes out and is praised and all sorts of new people get into the series that I have loved... xx will be forgotten about.

So you haven't played the games, you haven't been in the community yet here you are making assumptions and dissing a bunch of people.

So nice of you.

Lol stop pretending

there has been a rift among hardcore fans too

Ive been hammering for the series to expand for years. Was crushed we didnt get portable 3rd and bewildered that 4th gen didne get a single title outside of 3DS. Not even a WiiU port after the excellent 3U

You guys have been in the 3DS trench for far too long

Orayn

I think it makes sense for most long running series to stop doing strict numbered installments. When a game franchise has been around for a while, it's usually going to have multiple directors, producers, and different stylistic takes on the original idea. Trying to cram them all into a strict progression is just going to create factions within the fandom about which ones are the REAL entries.

Nightii

Banned
Lol stop pretending

Ive been hammering for the series to expand for years. Was crushed we didnt get portable 3rd and bewildered that 4th gen didne get a single title outside of 3DS. Not even a WiiU port after the excellent 3U

Yeah, they need to get with the times, they are objectively wrong for liking what they like, World or nothing.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lol stop pretending

I have a ps4 and a modern gaming pc so I have two choices on which to play world. It's not a platform thing, I just want XX. They are undeniably changing the formula and I wnat the last "classic" monhun.

Khezu

Lol stop pretending

Man I would have killed for a console port of 4U.

Neoxon

I personally think it massively depends on how World performs. If it does well, MH5 appears once they have hooked enough console players into how things work. They may as well do PS4/PC/Xb1 and Switch.

If it does poorly, I can see Capcom seeing their console expansion experiment as an utter failure and they will retract what World does fresh and move onto a 3DS/Switch game probably also called MH5.
The 3DS would likely be long since dead by then.

On-topic, I can respect the decision to go with World instead of 5, with it being more enticing to casuals & all. Plus, as mentioned by others, Capcom kinda left themselves an out to revert to the traditional MH style if World doesn't do well.

Sapientas

Lol stop pretending

In the end it kinda did with XX on Switch coming up?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The 3DS would likely be long since dead by then.

On-topic, I can respect the decision to go with World instead of 5, with it being more enticing to casuals & all. Plus, as mentioned by others, Capcom kinda left themselves an out to revert to the traditional MH style if World doesn't do well.

Nah if World fails it'll fail pretty much right away. Still likely too late for 3DS but Nintendo seems convinced to support it through next year.

Yeah, they need to get with the times, they are objectively wrong for liking what they like, World or nothing.

thats not the tone i was taking but whatever

you can want XX... we all do

without shitting on anyone who is legitmstely excited for MHW

MHW is still good news even if the XX news sucks

Orayn

I find myself disagreeing with two of the emerging schools of thought since the reveal.

The "HAHA, SUCK IT 3DS/TRADITIONAL MH FANS, THE SERIES IS FINALLY EVOLVING AND LEAVING BEHIND TECH LIMITATIONS AND STUFF" people aren't taking into account that there are still some potential pitfalls to be addressed, like:
  • How healing on the move will affect the difficulty curve
  • The overall monster health vs. player damage vs. monster damage balancing act
  • The effects on chasing/escape tactics from not having any more zones
  • The addition of more opportunities to get free condition and environmental damage
  • Being able to change gear at camp mid-mission
But I also take issue with people treating the above potential issues as guaranteed disasters that will completely strip the series of its identity and ruin it for them forever. I figure that's probably not an issue since there's a fair chance of more orthodox MH games still releasing on portables, but having some degree of concern about the changes isn't an unreasonable worry.

Personally, I'm about 75% optimistic, 25% cautious.

I find myself disagreeing with two of the emerging schools of thought since the reveal.

The "HAHA, SUCK IT 3DS/TRADITIONAL MH FANS, THE SERIES IS FINALLY EVOLVING AND LEAVING BEHIND TECH LIMITATIONS AND STUFF" people aren't taking into account that there are still some potential pitfalls to be addressed, like:
  • The addition of more opportunities to get free condition and environmental damage
But I also take issue with people treating the above potential issues as guaranteed disasters that will completely strip the series of its identity and ruin it for them forever. I figure that's probably not an issue since there's a fair chance of more orthodox MH games still releasing on portables, but having some degree of concern about the changes isn't an unreasonable worry.

Considering this is being made but the exact same people that shook the foundations of the game with 3rd gen underwater and 4th gen aerial I honestly do see the problem jumping into the next evolution of the series

(and as for me, I typically don't buy multiplayer games where platforms are split, or where paid DLC splits playerbases because it results in a lesser community for everyone once you have that divide)

That's...quite something. So you avoid all multiplatform multiplayer games? Genuine question. More power to you if that's the way you do things though.

Pretty sure the majority of the community wanted XX either way

Its the people shitting on MHW thats rubbing me the wrong way

We are on the same page on one topic and divided on the other

Frustrating to say the least

What kills me is the same poster in multiple threads making up fake concerns that this game will have a monthly fee in the west. Like, is it really important to you that no one is excited for this
westernized spinoff trash /s
entry in the franchise?

The lengths people are going to explain how this isn't the real MH despite specific messaging from the developers (who also happen to be the main team who have worked on past mainline entries) that it is, indeed, the next evolution for the franchise is just sad. Even worse are the people flat out making shit up to stir up concern.

Stop shitting up MHW threads because you wanted a different game on the Switch.

Orayn

Considering this is being made but the exact same people that shook the foundations of the game with 3rd gen underwater and 4th gen aerial I honestly do see the problem jumping into the next evolution of the series

Well yeah, I do think they'll get a lot of those things right, I'm just saying that there are still unanswered questions and things to be reasonably concerned about, and we likely won't know the actual answer until the game is out and we have a more complete understanding of how they're balanced and implemented. Some of them could even work great but still be mixed blessing, like Dead Rising 2 feeling a little too easy at times because they added fun/powerful combo weapons and improved companion AI quite a bit but didn't compensate with additional difficulty in other areas.

I do think it is real MH, to the point where they might fall short of their sales targets because it's still a unique, quirky co-op action game with a bit of a learning curve rather than some really familiar open world thing thing that will instantly click with the masses.

What kills me is the same poster in multiple threads making up fake concerns that this game will have a monthly fee in the west. Like, is it really important to you that no one is excited for this
westernized spinoff trash /s
entry in the franchise?

The lengths people are going to explain how this isn't the real MH despite specific messaging from the developers (who also happen to be the main team who have worked on past mainline entries) that it is, indeed, the next evolution for the franchise is just sad. Even worse are the people flat out making shit up to stir up concern.

Spinning a narrative in your head can help ease the pain sometimes.

This is what it comes down to. And I say this as someone who really wants MHXX to be localised so I can (potentially) bring my MHG save file over. I don't think I'm going to be able to stand 7 more months of this.

Chindogg

For everyone claiming World will potentially be a smash hit on PC and consoles I'm curious: how much do you think World will cost?

My guess is that they're going to pull a full $60.

Now what does that mean? Well here's what Monster Hunter usually entails:

• No Story Mode
  • Very few modes in general
  • Lots of grinding resources
  • Tons of RNG for certain resources to the point of unfairness

Considering the complaints about SFV lately about being light on content I'm fully expecting these MH staples to still be in as the reward of the game is the actual "hunting" aspect of combat and gathering materials for better gear for better combat.

I hope everyone understands that this is most likely what's going to happen when it regards to sales. For us MH faithful, we'll be ok with it. I dunno about everyone else though.

Whole bunch of assumptions and guess work. Than when it doesn't fail a new narrative will be told and a new spin will emerge the gaf way

Likewise. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to Capcom's track record. Better to do that then get upset when all your expectations are dashed because Capcom's gotta Capcom.

For everyone claiming World will potentially be a smash hit on PC and consoles I'm curious: how much do you think World will cost?

• No Story Mode

Considering the complaints about SFV lately about being light on content I'm fully expecting these MH staples to still be in as the reward of the game is the actual "hunting" aspect of combat and gathering materials for better gear for better combat.

I hope everyone understands that this is most likely what's going to happen when it regards to sales. For us MH faithful, we'll be ok with it. I dunno about everyone else though.
Whole bunch of assumptions and guess work. Than when it doesn't fail a new narrative will be told and a new spin will emerge the gaf way

Grinding resources are apparent in a lot of AAA games

They market it right it'll do fine with the masses who like running around with buddies

This is what it comes down to. And I say this as someone who really wants MHXX to be localised so I can (potentially) bring my MHG save file over. I don't think I'm going to be able to stand 7 more months of this.

Agreed

Can we all come together and acknowledge that we all wanted to play XX on switch?

Its a collective pain that they arent localizing it

But its not all bad news and MHW looks legitimately great. Lets continue to push for all games getting localized and support this new gen please

Orayn

• No Story Mode

I think we can safely assume the presence of a modest story mode akin to MH4. No EPIC CINEMATIC JOURNEY, but some cutscenes and setpiece missions that advance a decent enough overarching plot that ties together the various locales and hunts while teaching the player all the concepts they need to know. The bulk of the game will still be optional and/or endgame, but I find it very unlikely that they'll make it a big unadorned brick of content like MHX or the Portable series.

Jawmuncher

They market it right it'll do fine with the masses who like running around with buddies

It's still a possibility to consider. No one should just assume it'll be a huge hit. Especially since it'll be a late port. That's not to say I won't be, but it's definitely better to be at a spot of cautious optimism.

KiNolin

These points are about as "drastic" as any normal gaming sequel faces. There's no reason to freak out about any of this or think it's impossible to "solve" just because MH has been stuck in the past for so long that people are only able to imagine the series as more 3ds iterations.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

• No Story Mode

I'd expect they'd at least try to do more with the barebones story this go around, and I'm sure they'll at least alleviate the usual grind. There is a question of content, and vanilla gens for MH are variable in that aspect, but only time will tell.

Give me DLC prowler and hunter arts and I'll buy that shit up, Capcom

It's still a possibility to consider. No one should just assume it'll be a huge hit. Especially since it'll be a late port. That's not to say I won't be, but it's definitely better to be at a spot of cautious optimism.
My question is why now? Why now after all these monster hunters do y'all have to create all the bad scenarios? I've seen the exact opposite of any assuming it'll be a hit three threads I've been in have predicted bomb because it's not on a handheld

My question is why now? Why now after all these monster hunters do y'all have to create all the bad scenarios? I've seen the exact opposite of any assuming it'll be a hit three threads I've been in have predicted bomb because it's not on a handheld

Its pretty ugly right?

All the actual evidence so far has only driven me to excitement

Delio

They should have did a trailer like Anthem with the baked in Voice chatter of you hunting a monster with your buddies.

Top Bottom