• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Now that I am starting to come down off this 6 - 0 high, I just wanted to point out how rock solid Darlington Nagbe has been with MB regulating the MF.

Villafana was solid as well.

Obviously Duece and Pulisic were so good, but those three really impressed me tonight as well.

Pretty much a perfect start to the Bruce Arena Redux era.

Glad they erased their goal difference issues with this one game, they now more or less have a fresh start.

And for the first time in a long time, we looked like a real-time with solid possession in long stretches.

That said, we gave up way too many corners. And I wonder if we can maintain possession against stronger opponents, which has always been a problem.

Our offense did look very good tonight, it was great seeing the combination of youth and veterans making things happen. That's how it should be.

Btw, Zusi is a bum and hopefully that's the last time we ever see him in an important match.

Brooks was dehydrated? In NorCal? WAT

Glad it's nothing too serious.
Supposedly he has a sinus infection, but they said he should be fine by Tuesday.

Btw, Zusi is a bum and hopefully that's the last time we ever see him in an important match.
Fullback depth is an ongoing problem for this team, but he is behind Yedlin, Johnson, Orozco, and Cameron. Doubt he gets many more looks unless it's a situation like tonight where everyone is hurt.

Cystm

Collen Warner just scored a really well struck ball into the bottom left corner against the revs.

Collen

giphy.gif

Warner.

Icolin

Banned
Collen Warner just scored a really well struck ball into the bottom left corner against the revs.

Collen

giphy.gif

Warner.

And then Kamara scores a sitter a few moments later.

Minnesota has looked in shambles at the back so far this season, particularly Demidov.

Icolin

Banned
I feel bad for Minnesota fans.

The "conservative" approach their ownership took, as opposed to Atlanta's approach, really shows. Simply put, the players Minnesota have ain't gonna cut it, and Atlanta look like a bonafide contender for the Eastern Conference.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The "conservative" approach their ownership took, as opposed to Atlanta's approach, really shows. Simply put, the players Minnesota have ain't gonna cut it, and Atlanta look like a bonafide contender for the Eastern Conference.

I think Minnesota's biggest issue is in the back. They've got some good talent going forward, but they can't build anything because they don't have a solid defensive base. They need to bring in some proven defenders and soon.

Icolin

Banned
I think Minnesota's biggest issue is in the back. They've got some good talent going forward, but they can't build anything because they don't have a solid defensive base. They need to bring in some proven defenders and soon.

Yeah, true. Saed, Ibson, J. Venegas, Kadrii, Ramirez, Molino and Danladi are decent to good players, but Demidov and the rest of the defence are...yeah.

They need a complete overhaul of their backline, a decent holding mid or two, and maybe a #10 creative mid, although they do have Ibarra I guess.

Steven Goff said:
Changes to #USMNT squad just announced: John Brooks, Michael Orozco, Sebastian Lletget, & Jordan Morris released; Paul Arriola called in.
Jeff Carlisle said:
#usmnt says that Paul Arriola added to roster. Lletget (L foot), Brooks (sinus inf.), Morris (R ankle), & Orozco (R knee) have left camp.

Note that Jermaine Jones is off suspension and available, too.

Dartastic

Refs are a thing that continue to hold this league back. His refereeing tonight genuinely endangered players on both teams and had a material impact on the game and future games. He was awful.

The US is flying into Panama this morning in preparation for their Tuesday match. It'll be a patchwork lineup again with all of the absentees.

While the Honduras match was about holding serve at home, which the US did with aplomb, the Panama match is very important as right now it looks like the US and Panama are duking it out for the 3rd place spot in the Hex. It's still early in the series, but taking points away from Panama might prove critical down the line.

This is independent of how the other results go, of course.

I am back, so that means we'll probably lose to Panama tomorrow. Sorry guys.

That kid Pulisic seems legit unlike Adu and Zelalem. He seems more talented than Morris as well. Need to see more of his games against better competition because apparently he didn't do anything against Mexico and Costa Rica.

Dartastic

That kid Pulisic seems legit unlike Adu and Zelalem. He seems more talented than Morris as well. Need to see more of his games against better competition because apparently he didn't do anything against Mexico and Costa Rica.
He's far more talented than all of them. He plays for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga, and gets starts for them as well. You can probably blame his lack of impact in those two games to Klinnsman, who is now gone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pulisic is in a class by himself, Zelalem is still really young so he's got room to grow. If this is how Pulisic plays at 18 though, with growing still left to do, what the hell is he going to look like come World Cup time?

Meier

Pulisic is already the best American player in the world and is worth at least £25m. The Daily Mail just put out a list of the top 50 players under 23 in European football and he already came in at #16 despite only being 18 (Kylian Mbappe was the only player younger than him in the top 20 and there were only three others including Mbappe in the top 50 that were younger in general). Zelalem has lots of time to amount to something, but there is little reason to believe he'll reach Pulisic's level.

If by better competition you mean "Played against Real Madrid in the Champions League" then you're in luck! Plenty of tape there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jH2hDSxFE

Less of a highlight and more of an "all touches" compilation. There are moments when I legitimately thought I was watching Andres Iniesta in a maroon kit.

RBH

UTD_Broadcast-Team_MP7.jpg

Atlanta United today announced the broadcast team for the club’s inaugural 2017 season on FOX Sports South and FOX Sports Southeast. The team will be made up of play-by-play announcers Alan Green and Kevin Egan, color analyst Dan Gargan and studio host and sideline reporter Brittany Arnold.

In-match play-by-play duties will be shared this season between BBC Radio Sport’s lead play-by-play commentator Alan Green and beIN Sports commentator and studio host Kevin Egan. Egan will call Atlanta United’s first five matches televised on FOX Sports South and FOX Sports Southeast beginning with the April 8 match at Toronto F.C., and Green will call the remaining 14 matches of the season.

Former LA Galaxy analyst and 11-year MLS veteran Dan Gargan has been tapped as Atlanta United’s color analyst and beIN Sports on-air host Brittany Arnold will serve as the club’s first broadcast host and sideline reporter.
http://www.atlutd.com/post/2017/03/27/atlanta-united-announces-inaugural-season-broadcast-team

While people were getting on the Jordan Morris hype-train, I had been pumping Pulisic for the past couple of years, so it's not only great that I picked the right prospect, we finally have a young American player who is the real deal. He actually has the potential to be a world class international player, not just "good for an American".

But more importantly, I'm hoping Pulisic is the leading edge of an on-coming wave of young talent over the next 5-7 years. MLS started their academy system in 2007, ten years ago. The results have been slow, but it's possible we might finally start seeing the dividends.

Yes Pulisic has been training at Dortmund and he's made substantial improvement over there, but he's only been at Dortmund for a little over a year and a half. Before that he was with the US residency program in Florida. Before that, he played for an academy team in Philly. So the majority of his development actually was in the US.

And actually a lot of European clubs have shown interest in the top US prospects. The problem is very few have a Euro-passport so they can't train or get signed for a European club until they're 18 or if ever. Pulisic was fortunate enough to be able to get a Euro-passport so he could train in Dortmund while he was under 18. This has allowed him to keep pace with other international players.

One of the reasons we actually had more strong young players on the national team in the late 90s is because it was easier for young American players to get signed by English and other European clubs. There were far less top American prospects back then but the ones we had were able to play in Europe easier. But in the 2000s, FIFA cracked down on European clubs signing foreign players (it was getting out of hand especially the exploitation of African players), so I think this partly explains the doldrums of American talent we've had over the past 5-8 years.

MLS academies have gotten better where they can develop decent soccer players. But it's the equivalent to a high school education. Europe is still the equivalent of a college education and an advanced degree. One way we can start seeing more players on the level of Pulisic is to lobby to FIFA and the various FAs to relax the restrictions against American players. It's between the ages of 15-20 where we lose so much ground to international players. If we can reduce that black space of development, we can actually have a proper youth wave of talent. [/soapbox]

Big game tonight:

US - Panama from Estadio Rommel Fernandez; Panama City, Panama
10pm ET broadcast start - kickoff sometime after that
TV Coverage: beIN SPORTS, Telemundo, Universo

Top Bottom