• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

docbon

Has anyone tried installing this mod with the greenmangaming version of arma 2? I would check the DayZ forum but it is not working for me at the moment. 8(

VashTS

I was poking around some youtube vids and saw some interesting information. Someone said that it was confirmed by the developer of the mod (who worked on Arma 2) that the mod will be compatible with Arma 3 when it releases.

I'm quite scared to buy the game to play this mod, because I feel like I will lose so many hours getting lost in its magnificence. Maybe it would be more wise to wait for the release of Arma 3 and subsequently a more thoroughly developed mod?

Has anyone tried installing this mod with the greenmangaming version of arma 2? I would check the DayZ forum but it is not working for me at the moment. 8(

This is the version I have, so I'm hoping it works alright. Has there been problem with mods before on the greenmangaming version?

Want to play this badly but it will not allow me to join the serversl. I have some other mods installed...I wonder if that's an issue.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Surprised no one has done a sandbox-style game like this with the L4D engine.

The ArmA engine does some weird stuff that isn't possible without huge and intellectually rather demanding programming efforts in Source.

Can't just simulate a whole island without load times every 500m or so (zombies would also disappear on load), can't map trees generically, don't have the support for elevation data on the level of ArmA, no proper TrackIR or inventory support, no appropriate vehicular art + sim, no day/night cycle, blabla

KKRT00

Why havent i heard about this earlier?

I watched some of gameplay from this mod and its just amazing. If it ever goes out of alpha and get right polish it could be really big, like EVE Online.

If a group of people on GAF wanted to team up to play, would it be relatively easy to find each other? Or would the spirit of the game be more along the lines of you just get thrown in and untrustingly team with strangers?

Bulk_Rate

If a group of people on GAF wanted to team up to play, would it be relatively easy to find each other? Or would the spirit of the game be more along the lines of you just get thrown in and untrustingly team with strangers?

Would need to join the same server instance which is currently problematic given the scarcity of slots during prime hours. After that, however, joining up is straightforward provided one prints out a Chernarus map and learns the various towns along the Southern coast.

KaiserBecks

I wish someone would combine this with Minecraft.
Imagine the stuff you could do once you'd be able to build shelter, traps and barricades in those woods. Or at least reenforce existing buildings within the settlements. I'd also prefer slower zombies in larger hordes.

I've been dreaming of a game like that for years.

Oh well, maybe in the next generation. At some point, someone finally has to make a game like that, right?

MNC

On a slightly different note: I have a STALKER game on steam. is it enough to satisfy my survival game thirst?

I wish someone would combine this with Minecraft.
Imagine the stuff you could do once you'd be able to build shelter, traps and barricades in those woods. Or at least reenforce existing buildings within the settlements. I'd also prefer slower zombies in larger hordes.

I've been dreaming of a game like that for years.

Oh well, maybe in the next generation. At some point, someone finally has to make a game like that, right?

Hopefully Class 4 will be exactly like that.

Karak

I don't exactly understand what you're saying. They don't like cusswords?

Those dudes don't like ArmA. Or at least they didn't last time they talked about it.

Sorry I thought I was pretty clear. Just be nice. The guy who is making the game hates forums and makes it pretty well known. What we do here sometimes, to one another, and say about games, can set them off. Just a warning you know just in case. At times the game can be frustrating and yes cussing heavy sarcasm and such can get you in trouble. Basically the guy making the game is also in the forums, works his butt off and takes stuff sometimes personally.

And no disrespect to him or the mod. It really is amazing to play.

Karak

Pretty easy just LOTS and LOTS of running to group up.

legacyzero

Banned
I wonder if there is safehouses and such? that would be awesome!

Glad I own Arma II. I'm SOO downloading this.

I wonder how many times i'll end up dying before I get the hang of it?

Nemic77

Played for a couple of hours. Excelent!

Can't wait until the sun is up so I can explore better. So far i've only been wandering around aimlessly trying to find some loot. I did find a shotgun and a scoped machine gun, but very few ammo.

Also tagged along a fellow survivor, but he got taken out when we reached a village. I was lucky the zombies mobbed his bodie so I could escape safelly...

Btw, since I got injured pretty early on, I'm not sure how the game is supposed to look during night time. I've now bandaged up my injuries twice, and my vision is pulsating and black and white, almost like some Photoshop filter. Sometimes flares don't even look red until I'm close to them. Anyone care to confirm it's the effects of my low blood level?

Darknight

Sucks we need to have that expansion to play it:(
Got the game from greenmangaming too but I think I'll wait for the expansion to drop in price.

James-Ape

show some balls, man

Can't wait until the sun is up so I can explore better. So far i've only been wandering around aimlessly trying to find some loot. I did find a shotgun and a scoped machine gun, but very few ammo.

Also tagged along a fellow survivor, but he got taken out when we reached a village. I was lucky the zombies mobbed his bodie so I could escape safelly...

Btw, since I got injured pretty early on, I'm not sure how the game is supposed to look during night time. I've now bandaged up my injuries twice, and my vision is pulsating and black and white, almost like some Photoshop filter. Sometimes flares don't even look red until I'm close to them. Anyone care to confirm it's the effects of my low blood level?

Don't you need to eat to replenish blood?

DTKT

That's correct. Low blood level create a "white" filter over the screen. You can eat cans of food/cooked meat in order to regain blood. You can also ask a player to apply a Blood Pack on you.

Nemic77

Don't you need to eat to replenish blood?

Yeah, I'm eating whatever I can find. I even went back for the body of the fellow survivor who died at the village and took his pasta and coke!

DTKT said:
That's correct. Low blood level create a "white" filter over the screen. You can eat cans of food/cooked meat in order to regain blood. You can also ask a player to apply a Blood Pack on you.

Thought so. Let's hope I find a Blood Pack soon then. The food isn't helping much...

docbon

yikes. just fell from the second floor of a barn so hard my computer crashed.

when i reconnected, i was still on the floor writhing, but surrounded in dead bodies. I patched myself out and headed out into the forest. spooky~

legacyzero

Banned
What do I need to play this besides downloading the mod?

Do I need just Arma II or do I need the expansions as well?

EDIT: Damn, I have to have Combined operations for this? That's $30! Hmmm. Not sure if I'm able to get in on this :(

I have the base game on steam, can I get the expansion elsewhere or do I have to buy it through steam as well?

You'll need to buy Operation Arrowhead on Steam, as well.

What do I need to play this besides downloading the mod?

Do I need just Arma II or do I need the expansions as well?

EDIT: Damn, I have to have Combined operations for this? That's $30! Hmmm. Not sure if I'm able to get in on this :(

If you own Arma 2, all you need is the Operation Arrowhead expansion.

docbon

I had ARMA II already, so I just bought operation arrowhead (non-steam version)

I had to copy + paste the data files from

...\ARMA II - PC\AddOns

to

...\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\Expansion\Addons

to get the game working. I still get a single error message but the game seems to play fine. If you don't have ARMA 2 to begin with, just get combined ops.

DTKT

I had a few tense moments crawling right beside a pack of zombies at night. It was raining and the lightning just made everything more scary.

Top Bottom