• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Rubin (Android co-founder) launches "modular" Essential phone (no 3.5mm jack)

snap

Banned
Price is just too expensive to justify for a new company product.

Should have did what oneplus did. Start cheap to build a brand. Then increase price over time.

They do that, they get stuck in the same hole OnePlus is in, where increasing price over time becomes a PR hit and having any compromises at all kills product sales.

Plus OnePlus was able to do that because they're literally just a subsidy of Oppo. They've just gone to great lengths to try to hide that fact. A startup on their own wouldn't be able to drive down manufacturing prices enough to have a low sticker price unless they're piggybacking off of a bigger supply chain like OnePlus is.

snap

Banned
Basically outlets got the phone 72 hours ago and the embargo lifted earlier today. Most places are only doing hands-ons for now, but some outlets thought it was wise doing full reviews based on using the phone for a grand total of three days.

What's basically come out:
  • Performace is decent to great
  • Screen is real beautiful, and for the most part the camera cutout doesn't matter. A handful of apps (Snapchat is one of them) don't behave properly and try to use screen space set aside for the extra tall statusbar.
  • Nobody got the 360 camera so module system is an unknown
  • Three days aren't enough to judge battery, but on paper it's a bit smaller than one would hope--this complaint I don't understand, as it's roughly the size of the normal S8 with a similar sized battery? I'm guessing most writers just read "5.7 inch screen" on the spec sheet and tried to compare it against phablets even though it's more of a 5" phone size?
  • Camera was quite iffy, but right before embargo they pushed out a new update that "drastically improved" the camera, so I would wait until the second, more thorough wave of reviews hit to see how it really performs
  • More than one piece mentioned how the blocky slab-like feel of the phone alongside with a flush camera and no other extrusions give the phone a very distinctive feel
  • The black everybody got is really fingerprint prone (since the white and Ocean Depths are also glossy, expect similar results. Only the gray is matte).
It definitely seems more promising than something like the OnePlus One or Nextbit Robin--sure it's a bit pricey, but it's also pushing the boundaries in a cool way.

I don't understand why they included a USB-C to 3.5mm in the box and not a 3.5mm module instead. It's right there people.

I wonder what people are going to do once all the major phones have no 3.5mm jack. Sooner rather than later none of them will have it.

Jeffrey

Ordered one to test. If I dislike I'd return within the the 15 days. On paper my OnePlus 5 is better in most aspects besides the display.

There's something about the design that is really appealing imo though.

snap

Banned
Is that 3.5mm jack gonna be modular? Can I get a 1/4" port as well?

Their modular system is built off of an open standard, wireless USB, so ideally it would be able to have a DAC mod that just slots onto the back of the phone without having to take up the built-in USB C slot. Nothing stopping a mod that has a 1/4" port either. It's just so damn bizarre they didn't think to put out a DAC mod, like it justifies their module system and shuts up all of the "headphone jack or death" people too, because while it's not nearly as good as one built-in the device, it's damn close.

I'm actually half tempted to go ahead and see if I can get one of those kits they mentioned they're planning to put out for the mod system and make one myself. Would be a good project that slots into one of my Electrical and Computer Engineering grad classes, too.

Lgndryhr

I am on the fence between this, pixel 2 xl, or note 8. I currently have a note 4 and been using it since it launched almost 3 years ago. I love it, but I am ready for a new phone.

snap

Banned
I am on the fence between this, pixel 2 xl, or note 8. I currently have a note 4 and been using it since it launched almost 3 years ago. I love it, but I am ready for a new phone.

Basically:

• Use your headphone jack often? Get a Note 8.
  • Bothered by Touchwiz/want a stock phone? Still like the size of your Note 4? Get a Pixel XL 2.
  • Want a stock phone but want to move to a smaller phone? Get the Essential phone.

Ovek

7Member7

Don't forget the LG V30 due out at the end of the month.

Lgndryhr

Basically:

• Use your headphone jack often? Get a Note 8.
  • Bothered by Touchwiz/want a stock phone? Still like the size of your Note 4? Get a Pixel XL 2.
  • Want a stock phone but want to move to a smaller phone? Get the Essential phone.

Use my headphone jack occasionally. I do use it a lot less in recent years. I want a stock android phone at times, but then like having the S-Pen. I like having a removable battery or a phone I can easily replace it if it is a sealed device. Don't care about waterproof/dust proof/etc. I don't mind if there isn't a mirco SD card slot if the phone has at least a 128GB onboard storage option. I like having a large screen so that limits my options. I looked at S8+ earlier this year. Seems like a nice phone, but didn't pique my interest enough to buy one.

Not a fan of LG products.

snap

Banned
Use my headphone jack occasionally. I do use it a lot less in recent years. I want a stock android phone at times, but then like having the S-Pen. I like having a removable battery or a phone I can easily replace it if it is a sealed device. Don't care about waterproof/dust proof/etc. I don't mind if there isn't a mirco SD card slot if the phone has at least a 128GB onboard storage option. I like having a large screen so that limits my options. I looked at S8+ earlier this year. Seems like a nice phone, but didn't pique my interest enough to buy one.

Nothing for the forseeable future will have a removable battery, so that's one thing you can look past. Dunno about Pixel XL 2 but Essential Phone only comes in 128GB flavor. Really seems to come down to what do you value more: stock Android or S-Pen?

I don't think this is actually going to be the case.

The Ethernet port is dead as far as laptops and tablets are concerned. I'm not going to argue "yes the headphone jack is finally dead!!!!" like so many Apple shills on here did when the iPhone 7 did, but if we've hit the point where the iPhone can drop it and see pretty much no lost sales from it...

the mainstream audience doesn't give a shit about it. You and I might find not having it inconceivable but it's already happening and we'll have to adapt. only hope that someone puts out a compact USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter, or some other type of product that otherwise eases the loss.

which is why i keep going off about a 3.5mm jack module.

Skux

I didn't know ceramic and titanium was considered more essential than a headphone jack.

This is way too expensive for the asking price. Especially with that mediocre camera.

snap

Banned
I don't think this is the same thing.

Isn't it? Both are big ports that are getting cut out because they take up too much space.

WiFi doesn't have the bandwidth or latency of Ethernet, Bluetooth doesn't have the quality of a 3.5mm jack.

The only people using Ethernet these days are people seeking it out knowing it's better, whereas most people just rely on WiFi because it's easier to use. Likewise, most people using wired headphones are doing so either because: a. they're cheap or b. they want a higher quality than Bluetooth can deliver. The former is becoming less of a factor the more the mass market adapts Bluetooth and the latter eerily echoes Ethernet's struggle.

Lgndryhr

Nothing for the forseeable future will have a removable battery, so that's one thing you can look past. Dunno about Pixel XL 2 but Essential Phone only comes in 128GB flavor. Really seems to come down to what do you value more: stock Android or S-Pen?

The Ethernet port is dead as far as laptops and tablets are concerned. I'm not going to argue "yes the headphone jack is finally dead!!!!" like so many Apple shills on here did when the iPhone 7 did, but if we've hit the point where the iPhone can drop it and see pretty much no lost sales from it...

the mainstream audience doesn't give a shit about it. You and I might find not having it inconceivable but it's already happening and we'll have to adapt. only hope that someone puts out a compact USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter, or some other type of product that otherwise eases the loss.

which is why i keep going off about a 3.5mm jack module.

I am noticing that and hopeful the battery is easily replaced. I usually watch a tear down or something beforehand on these newer cell phones to ensure it is easily replaced. Yea I saw that. The current Pixel offers a 128GB option so I assume the Pixel 2 will offer it as well. Yea I am trying to see if I can live without a S-Pen now because I keep thinking stock android is the way to go.

Sadly yes the Ethernet port is dying with mobile technology. It is like you said due to it being easier and more convenient for the masses. And the headphone jack is headed that way too. I like a headphone jack for a better sound and less wireless signals around me. We have enough nowadays around us. But I do like using a wireless headset for my console gaming. So I am in the gray area when it comes to the headphone jack. I think it should always be an option on devices.

jem0208

It's a sexy phone, have to give 'em credit there.

Would look a hell of a lot better with a 3.5mm hole on the top though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
u2ok9b2.jpg

meow

The Cowboy

If it was waterproof and had an amoled screen I'd be all over this, the camera isn't as bad as I thought it would be - still weird looking though.

linkboy

I wonder if I can pick this up in a year when it's $250, when it eventually fails.

I like the concept for this phone, but not at $700.

riotous

Banned
Isn't it? Both are big ports that are getting cut out because they take up too much space.

WiFi doesn't have the bandwidth or latency of Ethernet, Bluetooth doesn't have the quality of a 3.5mm jack.

The only people using Ethernet these days are people seeking it out knowing it's better, whereas most people just rely on WiFi because it's easier to use. Likewise, most people using wired headphones are doing so either because: a. they're cheap or b. they want a higher quality than Bluetooth can deliver. The former is becoming less of a factor the more the mass market adapts Bluetooth and the latter eerily echoes Ethernet's struggle.

1) Consumers generally don't compute, especially with laptops, near where an ethernet jack is. They use their phone near where they want to use headphones, normally both devices are on you. Having to wire a laptop just doesn't make much sense, wiring a headphone to a device that is on you or near you vs. that same device being wireless isn't anywhere near the convenience gain.

2) Everyone and their mother has a WiFI router now, they pretty much come standard with ISPs built into their modems

2) Removing the ethernet port doesn't make tons of devices obsolete or require an adapter that millions (billions?) of people own.

3) Going wifi doesn't cause you to have to re-charge a device in order to use it or wire it when the batteries are dead.

4) Ethernet ports aren't actually dead, they are on a ton of business class laptops, even somewhat small form factor ones, and any larger gaming laptop.

Dongles are a possible answer but they are kind of a pain. I'm hoping 3.5mm jacks last at least as long as it takes to make USB-C ubiquituous as a port you can buy headphones /headsets for, a port that's on all laptops, etc.

snap

Banned
1) Consumers generally don't compute, especially with laptops, near where an ethernet jack is. They use their phone near where they want to use headphones, normally both devices are on you. Having to wire a laptop just doesn't make much sense, wiring a headphone to a device that is on you or near you vs. that same device being wireless isn't anywhere near the convenience gain.

2) Everyone and their mother has a WiFI router now, they pretty much come standard with ISPs built into their modems

2) Removing the ethernet port doesn't make tons of devices obsolete or require an adapter that millions (billions?) of people own.

3) Going wifi doesn't cause you to have to re-charge a device in order to use it or wire it when the batteries are dead.

4) Ethernet ports aren't actually dead, they are on a ton of business class laptops, even somewhat small form factor ones, and any larger gaming laptop.

Dongles are a possible answer but they are kind of a pain. I'm hoping 3.5mm jacks last at least as long as it takes to make USB-C ubiquituous as a port you can buy headphones /headsets for, a port that's on all laptops, etc.

1. Most consumers prefer not having to deal with wires even when the headphones and phone are both on person, relying instead on Bluetooth--you and I digress but this is a fact.

2.Bluetooth headphones are becoming more ubiquitous.

2. No, but it nipped the idea of using Ethernet as a method to share files between computers and share data with other devices in the bud. Plus, most of the devices that would need adapters are only used because they were cheap for the user--either because they came with another product or because they were under $10, meaning that they're relatively disposable.

3. Fair enough, but when has another battery to charge ever killed a product, or a change in product?

4. And headphone jacks will continue to exist on laptops and desktops, and maybe on a handful of smartphones pandering to the power user (though very few of those devices still exist after Windows Phone died).

The headphone jack isn't dying because I or you want it to, it's because it became inconvenient for certain engineers to design around and the market trends didn't fight its removal.

riotous

Banned
1. Most consumers prefer not having to deal with wires even when the headphones and phone are both on person, relying instead on Bluetooth--you and I digress but this is a fact.

I don't disagree; as a general statement. But making a laptop completely wireless network wise was a much greater advancement than making headphones wieless ever was or is. Particularly since we are talking about headphones used with a device that is usually less than a few feet from your head.

And there are literally billions of wired headphones that people aleady own. Removing ethernet jacks form laptops made practically nothing obsolete as that happened after wifi routers became the norm. Hell wifi made the laptop market explode in general in the internet age.

I just don't think they are completely going away at all; I know you didn't say that, but these threads are full of people making it that outright claim. "They are done, no chance, I am the all seeing expert of this prediction" x 10. And I sit here with my S8+ wondering what this engineering problem is.

Removing Ethernet in favor of Wifi simply isnt comparable at all. I brought nothing but convenience even for non technical people. Recharging and worrying about the battery level of yet another device cancels out any convenience brought by having no more wires.

Ethernet to Wifi is more like Betamax to DVD.

Jack to no jack is just trading one inconvenience for another.

WTF this is $1050 plus tax in Canada.

The screen looks really nice (especially that bezelless top), but lack of headphone jack is stupid. Just because Apple does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Bluetooth still has its limitations. Anyways it's not a deal breaker but lack of wireless charging and waterproofing is kind of odd.

There's no way I'm paying $1050 for this though when S8 and G6 cost less.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Yeah, the V30 will have the first ever 1.6 aperture on camera for improved low light photography both the V10 and V20 had amazing camera with manual controls and LG was the first to innovate with an 18:9 display on a phone. The V30 really is worth a look.

DrKelpo

Banned
I'm still trying to understand what makes this phone so special.
if you read or watch some of these early hand-ons you get the feeling we have the next big phone in front of us here.
but it seems it's "just" a nice looking android phone.

I don't mean that negatively, I'm just confused.

Also this "modular" thing just mean external addons, right?

Jeffrey

I'm still trying to understand what makes this phone so special.
if you read or watch some of these early hand-ons you get the feeling we have the next big phone in front of us here.
but it seems it's "just" a nice looking android phone.

I don't mean that negatively, I'm just confused.

Also this "modular" thing just mean external addons, right?

It's a nice distinct looking phone with ties to a Co founder of Android.

Not really a game changing device though.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Great looking phone, it's definitely exceeded my expectations, but it's an automatic miss for me due to the headphone jack situation unfortunately.

This isn't remotely true. Business laptops and laptops for power users still have ethernet ports. I suspect it will be the same with smartphones and the headphone jack where manufacturers will keep it in on certain models.

Kthulhu

Yeah, the V30 will have the first ever 1.6 aperture on camera for improved low light photography both the V10 and V20 had amazing camera with manual controls and LG was the first to innovate with an 18:9 display on a phone. The V30 really is worth a look.

Are you talking about the G6, cuz that wasn't the first larger than 16:9 phone.

It comes out a year after the original Pixel yet with a worse camera. You just can't do that when you're asking price is gonna be the same as the Pixel 2.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Didn't he just say it made it better, but still behind the Pixel?

I was listening to the verge cast last night, and its actually lot worse than Pixel. As of now, even with the software update its close to iPhone 6/6S camera.

This phone is a disappointment. I just don't get the point. Want pure high-end Android experience? just get Pixel.

lcbrus

That's one sexy looking phone. I'd be more inclined to get it if it came with a headphone jack.

The lack of headphone jack wouldn't bother me as much if it had some type of Y adapter or two USB-C ports.

I'll see how good the update support will be and next year's model turns out.

Moreche

Once this arrives in the UK, I'll be purchasing it.
I love the design and materials they've used. This is what Apple should have done for me to take their iPhone 8 seriously.

Top Bottom