• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Echo Dot was showing for free on Amazon Prime

HvySky

Ordered a few and they're supposedly shipping today to arrive on Sunday. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
People who contact amazon about these mistakes or try to order multiple on one account are not smart at all.

Honestly, I'm here for the one or two posters who will get mad when Amazon cancels these orders.

Ha okay, but in this case, why would any of those 64 people be like "Hey let's go through to checkout on an Amazon Dot and see if anything's messed up"?

Someone probably went to buy one and noticed it showed $0. Then it is just a matter of time before it travels through the grapevine.

Ha okay, but in this case, why would any of those 64 people be like "Hey let's go through to checkout on an Amazon Dot and see if anything's messed up"?

People go out of their way to send him a heads up when they find something because they know he's the deal man. Probably someone was legitimately buying one, noticed, and then the word got out.

StoopKid

Anyone else feel a bit guilty about these types of situations? (Assuming it goes through...)

It's stealing at worst, dishonest at best. You know it's a mistake and you're capitalizing on it. Especially the people who are saying "I don't even know what this thing is."

I ordered one on impulse but I'm tempted to just cancel it before they cancel it for me.

Billion dollar company. Hell no!

Lifeline

Anyone else feel a bit guilty about these types of situations? (Assuming it goes through...)

It's stealing at worst, dishonest at best. You know it's a mistake and you're capitalizing on it. Especially the people who are saying "I don't even know what this thing is."

I ordered one on impulse but I'm tempted to just cancel it before they cancel it for me.

Amazon probably knows about the error by now, it's on them if they want to let it go or cancel it. If it was some small online store that wouldn't notice the price error till after its already shipped I would feel bad and cancel.

For Amazon I'll just let them decide.

TO EVERYONE ASKING WHAT YOU JUST ORDERED:

It's a small puck powered by an AC - MicroUSB adapter that is essentially an audio assistant. You can ask Alexa to:

Play music
Order things from Amazon
Tell you the news
Tell you the weather
Use 'Alexa Skills' (varied)
Set timers (this is what I use it for the most)

You can connect a Bluetooth speaker to it if you need louder sound, but it works OK by itself. I have two in my apartment to play music
Move over Alexa, there's a new disembodied voice in town
n9T5i7T.gif
Sadden by the lack of "in" gifs in the thread

Damn, I missed it. Let us know if you got yours, real curious. I actually glanced by the thread, then re-read it later when I saw "free" in the title. Hope to see more of this.

Ordered a white one first, won't get here til Wednesday and is waiting to be shipped.

Later ordered a black one and at preparing to be shipped and will get here Sunday.

Awwww yisssss

soundtest

Banned
for people who have one of these alongside an Alexa already at home: do i need to set up everything with this again (like Nest for example) or will it be just like my Alexa out of the box?

for people who have one of these alongside an Alexa already at home: do i need to set up everything with this again (like Nest for example) or will it be just like my Alexa out of the box?

It'll be just like your Alexa. But you'll need to set it up on the WiFi and such.

louiedog

What is the difference between this and the larger one?

Worse speaker than the Echo and Tap. No battery like the tap. It's designed more to be hooked up to another playback system for music. So if you wanted an Amazon Echo but for your living room stereo system you'd get this one instead of paying a lot more for a speaker you wouldn't use.

Hari Seldon

Worse speaker than the Echo and Tap. No battery like the tap. It's designed more to be hooked up to another playback system for music. So if you wanted an Amazon Echo but for your living room stereo system you'd get this one instead of paying a lot more for a speaker you wouldn't use.

Ah ok. Can you call one echo from another echo? Like could I set these up as an intercom system? My kids are going to get a kick out of this just for the music alone.

You'll need to setup the WiFi, but most of the stuff you've set up works across every device so there's no need to set up things like smart home devices again.

Ah ok. Can you call one echo from another echo? Like could I set these up as an intercom system? My kids are going to get a kick out of this just for the music alone.

Yes, you can set them up as an intercom system.

DOWN

Banned
I followed OP’s advice of paying for overnight and they just charged me which they do when they are actually pulling the order so...

louiedog

There's definitely the ability to call one from the other but I'm not sure if it's setup to be used like that. I'm guessing it'd work if they had two different accounts at least.

They'll probably honor these because it keeps Prime members happy and it reinforces their ecosystem. This was exclusive to Prime members right?

Nah, I haven't had Prime for a few months now and I was still able to get in on it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled orders for plebs like me and did honor the Prime orders though.

Top Bottom