• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

ibjnh9SgL7dz9T.png

Note: Special thanks to Toppot and FillerB for making the banners. Excellent work Gentlemen!

As they are due to release their fourth studio album next month, and as a lot of you know, I'm a big fan, I figured it was time to make a thread. I know GAF has a few fans (come on, don't be shy, we're all friends here). So yeah, here it is.

YdmPJNT.png

Franklin, Tenessee in 2004

NbFRhnY.png

Fueled By Ramen

vKi1ePZ.png

Alt. rock/emo/pop punk

IwIYpDt.png

Hayley Williams
3660018289_c3d0a4dce2.jpg

Lead Vocals/Keyboards

Jeremy Davis
tumblr_lx81cjhfJP1qacpmy.jpg

Bass Guitar

Taylor York
tumblr_ldk01zLhHJ1qb6nip.png

Lead Guitar

Bonus "Then and Now" pic:
uHW12ja.jpg

(Technically, Taylor wasn't really a founding member, so to speak. He was in a band with the Farro brothers previously, and has been a mainstay through most of the bands history. Jason Bynum was actually the other founding member, but he wasn't around for long.)

WoY3UEA.png

All We Know Is Falling

l71Avno.jpg

Label: Fueled by Ramen

Production: James Wisner & Mike Green

Released: July 26, 2005

Tracklist:
  1. All We Know
  2. Pressure
  3. Emergency
  4. Brighter
  5. Here We Go Again
  6. Never Let This Go
  7. Whoa
  8. Conspiracy
  9. Franklin
  10. My Heart

Riot!

DkVz3na.jpg

Production: David Bendeth, John Janick & Philip Schofield

Released: June 12, 2007

Tracklist:
  1. For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic
  2. Thats What You Get
  3. Hallelujah
  4. Misery Business
  5. When It Rains
  6. Let the Flames Begin
  7. Miracle
  8. Crushcrushcrush
  9. We Are Broken
  10. Fences
  11. Born for This

Live In The UK 2008

L01ecVP.jpg

Released: January 29, 2008

Tracklist:
  1. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic
  2. Born for This
  3. Emergency
  4. Never Let This Go
  5. Fences
  6. Let the Flames Begin
  7. When It Rains
  8. Crushcrushcrush
  9. Pressure
  10. Here We Go Again
  11. That's What You Get
  12. My Heart
  13. Decoy
  14. Misery Business

The Final Riot!

vuKVsou.jpg

Released: November 25, 2008

Tracklist:
  1. Born for This [Live]
  2. That's What You Get [Live]
  3. Here We Go Again [Live]
  4. Fences [Live]
  5. Crushcrushcrush [Live]
  6. Let the Flames Begin [Live]
  7. When It Rains [Live]
  8. My Heart [Live]
  9. Decoy [Live]
  10. Pressure [Live]
  11. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic [Live]
  12. We Are Broken [Live]
  13. Emergency [Live]
  14. Hallelujah [Live]
  15. Misery Business [Live]

Brand New Eyes

NmlFzlp.jpg

Production: Rob Cavello

Released: September 29, 2009

Tracklist:
  1. Careful
  2. Ignorance
  3. Playing God
  4. Brick By Boring Brick
  5. Turn It Off
  6. The Only Exception
  7. Feeling Sorry
  8. Looking Up
  9. Where the Lines Overlap
  10. Misguided Ghosts
  11. All I Wanted
  12. Decode

Paramore

OHXuiVZ.jpg

Label: Fueled By Ramen

Production: Justin Meldal-Johnson & Taylor York

Released: April 5, 2013

Tracklist:
  1. Fast In My Car
  2. Now
  3. Grow Up
  4. Daydreaming
  5. Interlude: Moving On
  6. Ain’t It Fun
  7. Part II
  8. Last Hope
  9. Still Into You
  10. Anklebiters
  11. Interlude: Holiday
  12. Proof
  13. Hate To See Your Heart Break
  14. (One Of Those) Crazy Girls
  15. Interlude: I’m Not Angry Anymore
  16. Be Alone
  17. Future

KSVNwxM.png

Hayley met the Farro brothers while at private school in 2002. At the time, she was playing with Jeremy Davis in a funk cover band called The Factory, while the Farro's rehearsed regularly at home in their garage (with Taylor York, who would later join the band). In 2004, the foursome formed Paramore, and were later joined by neighbour Jason Bynum. The band were originally supposed to be signed to Atlantic Records but the label's marketing department decided it would be better for the image of the band to not have them attached to a major label, so they were instead signed to a subsidiary, the "cooler" niche label Fueled by Ramen.

They travelled to Orlando, Florida to begin writing and recording their first album, but shortly after arriving, Jeremy left the band citing personal reasons. The album then became known as All We Know Is Falling to reflect the bands grief at his departure (he was a close childhood friend of Hayley's). She has since stated that the empty sofa on the cover was symbolic of this. The shadow walking away is that of Jeremy. :( John Hembree joined for a 5 month promotional tour, and played bass on the record.

After writing and recording for a few months with Hembree, and with the album in the bag, the band requested Jeremy's return. He agreed, and rejoined the band, replacing Hembree. They spent the next two years performing at various tours and festivals, and were voted "Best New Band" by Kerrang! magazine in 2007. The piece wasn't to the bands liking however, with Hayley believing the article to be an untrue portrayal of the band, particularly as it focused on her as the main component. Afterwards, Williams addressed the issue in the band's LiveJournal, with a post saying, "We could’ve done without the cover piece. Sorry if it offends anyone at Kerrang! but I don’t think there was one bit of truth in that article."

The band started recording their second album Riot! in January 2007 with Hunter Lamb, who had replaced Jason Bynum on rhythm guitar. Hunter was another fleeting member however, and left the band shortly before they finished the album after getting married. Taylor York was the obvious replacement; he'd previously played in a band with Josh and Zac. He joined to finish up the record, and Riot! entered the Billboard 200 at number 20, the UK charts at number 24, and sold 44,000 its first week in the United States.

The band was nominated for "Best New Artist" at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards presented on February 10, 2008, but lost to Amy Winehouse. (Fair enough, Amy was absolutely amazing. R.I.P.) The band toured for 2 months with Jimmy Eat World and headlined the "Give It A Name" tour in the UK on 10th & 11th May. They also performed on the "In New Music We Trust" stage at Radio 1's One Big Weekend in Mote Park, Kent. The Final Riot!, a live set was released on November 25, 2008. The album includes a bonus DVD with a full concert recorded in Chicago, as well as a behind the scenes documentary. The album went gold in the US on 9th April 2009. (If you're a fan, and haven't heard this, you really should. It's a great set.)

At the start of that year, they started work on the difficult third album, Brand New Eyes. It was recorded with Rob Cavello in Hidden Hills, California from January to March 2009. With a solid, comfortable foundation now within the band, recording went smoothly, with Josh Farro stating "We really enjoy our live sound and we wanted a producer who can really capture that." Although the album wasn't to be released until later that year, various singles were released throughout the year, and the band also recorded a performance for MTV Unplugged (which I can't find anywhere!). Brand New Eyes was released on the 29th September 2009, topping charts around the globe, including Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom. It has become the band's highest charting album to date. The record also won "Best Album" at the Kerrang! Awards 2010.

In December that year, the Farro brothers announced they were to leave the band. In a message on their LiveJournal, Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor stated, "A couple of months ago, Josh and Zac let us know they would be leaving the band after our show in Orlando last Sunday. None of us were really shocked. For the last year it hasn't seemed as if they wanted to be around anymore. We want Josh and Zac to do something that makes them happy and if that isn't here with us, then we support them finding happiness elsewhere. But we never for a second thought about leaving any of this behind." Josh went on to form a new band, Novel American as did his brother Zac, forming his band HalfNoise.

Work began on the band's self-titled, fourth studio album on 18th April 2012. American-born producer Justin Meldal-Johnsen was recruited for production duties. A longtime bassist for Beck and Nine Inch Nails, he has previously produced records for M83 and Neon Trees. Hayley has cited Alt-J, Dutch Uncles, as well as Frank Ocean as influences for their new sound. However, she is keen to stress that it will not be an Electronica album, stating that "No dubstep was jammed in the making of this album." It is due to be released on 9th April 2013.

2KO2lYR.png

Misery Business (BBC Radio1's Big Weekend 2008)

Ignorance Acoustic (BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge)

Where The Lines Overlap (Summer Sonic Japan 2009 (outfit alert, Japanese schoolgirl complete with white cotton knee socks)

Brick By Boring Brick (some US chatshow, I dunno!)

My Hero Foo's Cover (Kuwait)

The Only Exception (NRK) (Hayley sounds incredible in this one. She looks amazing too.)

Hayley schooling Zac on the drums. Seriously, she's pretty good!

6t13Viz.png

37EQLfb.gif

tumblr_la8wat6rP51qd025c.gif

8rDmvtK.gif

tz6wD6J.gif

tumblr_maly4uwNjJ1ro8yvqo1_500.gif

tumblr_liqf3rtWVD1qfz010o1_r1_500.gif

paramore.gif

tumblr_lgds6v5rH01qgjwumo1_500.gif

tumblr_lg6qqdBXl21qa4yas.gif

Toppot

I am a massive fan of Riot! and actually really liked the twilight song they did. Misery Bussiness is probably my favourite song, but I do love Pressure.

She posted her boobs on Twitter, it was cool.

*Spits out drink* Wait, what, really?

*Quick Google*

Dayum, Miss Williams.
tz6wD6J.gif

I don't think anyone could of hoped for a better first post. Bless you sir *Tear in my eye*

Dilly

Banned
Wonder how the brothers leaving will affect the sound, because I loved the drumlines on Paramore songs.

NinjaBoiX

I APPROVE OF THIS THREAD

I ALSO APPROVE OF YOUR NEW AVATAR
Holy shit Tash! 'Tis a good avatar indeed.
Guess this will be a good album...
It sounds promising. I love "Now".
Wonder how the brothers leaving will affect the sound, because I loved the drumlines on Paramore songs.
You've heard "Now", right? The drumming sounds real tight! But yeah, I liked Zac's drumming. I mean, he's no Danny Carey, but he was tight and energetic, that's all you need in a punk drummer!

BJK

Day 1 download.

Love this band. "Now" isn't my favorite track they've ever done, but it has grown on me with repeat listenings.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
You've heard "Now", right? The drumming sounds real tight! But yeah, I liked Zac's drumming. I mean, he's no Danny Carey, but he was tight and energetic, that's all you need in a punk drummer!

"Now" is alright, and it's definitely Hayley's band, but don't discount Zac Farro. Considering how young he is, he's an exceptional talent, and was a consistent highlight of Paramore's past work.

Of course, there's other great drummers out there, but we'll see how it goes.

NinjaBoiX

Day 1 download.

Love this band. "Now" isn't my favorite track they've ever done, but it has grown on me with repeat listenings.
Yeah, the production is a lot more airy, with a lot of reverb and echoing vocals. But I'm absolutely loving it after a few listens. I love the bridge before the last chorus, with the relentlessly rolling drum beat, layered sqaulling guitars, and hayley screaming, "there's a time and a place to die, and this ain't it" at the top of her lungs.

I mean, it's shamelessly emo, to the Nth degree, but hell, that's Paramore! I can totally see why people can't get on board with them though.
She has nice tits
tumblr_m70r8qkkWk1qfz010o1_r1_500_large.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This band is a guilty pleasure... I listen to some of their songs when I work out.

NinjaBoiX

I approve of this thread.
Well, I must admit, I did put a fair amount of effort into it!

I was kind of worried posting it, knowing that they're not exactly the coolest band in the world. There just kind of a pretty decent pop punk band with a hot talented singer fronting them. I must admit, I'd have dismissed them entirely without her, it's just not usually my kind of music. It's just that voice man...damn!

Anyway, I just didn't want it to fall off the first page, and into oblivion! All that work, (best part of an afternoon), gone to waste. Plus Toppot and FillerB's input.

But it's cool, the first post was awesome, then a few people actually got involved in some banter. I'm cool with that!

I appreciate the comment man.

Toppot

It's just that voice man...damn!

Not to derail the thread or anything .

Though they don't have as hot a singer, Hey Monday is a very similar band with a very similar voice. 'Josey', 'Set Off', 'Should've Tried Harder' and 'Homecoming' are just amazing, makes me want to jump up and sing everytime.

Rehynn

Very overrated band IMHO. I generally love this kind of music, but I think the hot girl is hardly a compensation for the lack of serious songwriting chops. I remember when Misery Business came out, everyone was talking about them, so I gave it a listen (then more, as I couldn't avoid it, still can't). The riff is good, but the vocal melodies just can't carry the song for me.

They're OK but that's all.

Didn't really like their latest single when I first heard it recently, but it's grown on me.

Like all their other stuff and it's been too long since Brand New Eyes came out, so I'm ready.

NinjaBoiX

The next record is shoe in for aoty.
tumblr_lk6rdbua3r1qf3c5io1_500.gif

It's sounding mighty promising! I love every bit of news I've heard so far. The producers previous work has been excellent. Hayley and Jeremy are like two peas in a pod, and you can tell she adores Taylor too. They're a really tight unit.

tumblr_maly4uwNjJ1ro8yvqo1_500.gif

And despite stemming from a somewhat manufactured background, they have conducted themselves with integrity and loyalty. The pics of Hayley at Josh's wedding were adorable! Plus, they do loads of stuff for charity. I was going to mention it in the OP, but I didn't want to lay on the gush! All three of them just seem like fantastic individuals. Their parents must be very proud. Or maybe something less cheesy...

And yes yes, thanks for your comment too Tash, I forgot to give you a shout.

(He's such a child.)

:)

Seriously, where did that triple threat avatar come from? It's remarkable.

Ricker

I found out about this group because of Crushcrushcrush on Rock Band lol,I loved that song..didnt they do Monster also for the Transformer movie...

Good thread. I never really read their wikipedia or history of their formation. This is a good reason to listen to the current albums before the new release.

BJK

Not to derail the thread or anything .

Though they don't have as hot a singer, Hey Monday is a very similar band with a very similar voice. 'Josey', 'Set Off', 'Should've Tried Harder' and 'Homecoming' are just amazing, makes me want to jump up and sing everytime.

Have never actually heard Hey Monday, but their former lead-singer (Cassadee Pope) won the last season of "The Voice" on NBC, and has a new recording deal out of it.

I found out about this group because of Crushcrushcrush on Rock Band lol,I loved that song..didnt they do Monster also for the Transformer movie...

"That's What You Get" is my favorite piece of Rock Band DLC.

NinjaBoiX

All this time, I thought you having Haley avatars and Gifs was a coincidence.
I've been stockpiling Mutes, for this momentous day!

tumblr_mhqghgMNCb1r771pbo1_500.gif

Surely I get carte blache with gif usage in a thread with "and Hayley gifs!" in the title? Maybe put server aside for me?

In all seriousness, OP aside, I try to keep my gif's of this sort fairly small. Nothing more annoying than massive gifs clogging up the page. 1mb is usually my cut off, but I try to keep it around 500-600kb.

Good thread. I never really read their wikipedia or history of their formation. This is a good reason to listen to the current albums before the new release.
Thanks a lot man, I was hoping someone would comment on that. That's the part that took most of the time, trawling the wiki, trying to condense it, and still hit the main points. (I didn't just know all that shit! I mean, I like them, but I'm not crazy.) Anyway, glad you got something out of it! I enjoyed doing it, there is a lot of pointless stuff i didn't know about that band.

NinjaBoiX

<3 Paramore.. all three albums are awesome....
miracle is my fav song
I gotta go with Careful, Ignorance, Fences or good ol' Miz Biz.

There are a few I can really do without, Turn It Off (hurr hurr), When It Rains and My Heart. Although the acoustic version of My Heart on The Final Riot! is pretty good. I just hate that screamo bullshit at the end.

Emo = Shamelessly emotive

Screamo = Kind of embarrassing

Edit: Oh yeah man, Hayley's whole new look is weird! Fuck it, she's cool, she can pull it off!

injurai

Banned
okay Ninj, that is an awesome Avy. Also I need to give them more of a try for you.

a masterful OT might I add

NinjaBoiX

okay Ninj, that is an awesome Avy. Also I need to give them more of a try for you.

a masterful OT might I add
tumblr_liw3pyDwC71qf3c5io1_500.gif

If you are new to the exciting world of Paramore, may I suggest Sir start with a loud helping of Brand New Eyes?
Yeah, start with that, it's easily the best one.

BNE > Riot! > AWKIF

It bodes well for album number four right! Speaking of which, go watch "Now" on YT injurai. Now!

Muitnorts

I quite like some of their music, Brand New Eyes was better than I expected. Might check this album out.
But mainly I'm here for the gifs

This band was fabricated in order to market the shit out of Hayley. It's out there that when she signed with a major label, she was given the choice to keep her band or go solo. Even the fuckin band is managed by his dad. The band members are just there for the paycheck. Personally, i liked their first album because it seemed more sincere to me. Riot was alright, but then i just hated their last record. I recognize she has a good voice, but she's just a marketing tool.

neoism

No, your awesome!

I gotta go with Careful, Ignorance, Fences or good ol' Miz Biz.

There are a few I can really do without, Turn It Off (hurr hurr), When It Rains and My Heart. Although the acoustic version of My Heart on The Final Riot! is pretty good. I just hate that screamo bullshit at the end.

Emo = Shamelessly emotive

Screamo = Kind of embarrassing

Edit: Oh yeah man, Hayley's whole new look is weird! Fuck it, she's cool, she can pull it off!

I started listening to them for the first time HIGH as a mofo... I love Turn it Off... funny thing most of the lyrics in all there songs just connected at the time in my life...love Emergency too.. <3 Its great jogging/running music... lost 100 pounds the summer of 2010... very uplifting music to me they have some sad/emotional songs but I never got an emo vibe from them, plus the weed just made me happy as fuck listening to them... listening to them now lol its been awhile thanks for the thread... o yeah most definitely one of my favorites... if not my favorite.......
let flames begin
<3

NinjaBoiX

I quite like some of their music, Brand New Eyes was better than I expected. Might check this album out.
But mainly I'm here for the gifs
hayley-williams-gifs.gif

Yay, I'm free to post my annoying Hayley gifs in here!

tumblr_m6adz3KzrB1rx9p33o1_500.gif

tumblr_m18qohqzNH1qmp453o1_250.gif

1755161_o.gif

Oh man, I so want to hang out the back of with that chick!
This band was fabricated in order to market the shit out of Hayley. It's out there that when she signed with a major label, she was given the choice to keep her band or go solo. Even the fuckin band is managed by his dad. The band members are just there for the paycheck. Personally, i liked their first album because it seemed more sincere to me. Riot was alright, but then i just hated their last record. I recognize she has a good voice, but she's just a marketing tool.
I think you're being overly cynical. I mean if you don't dig the music, fair enough. But they definitely weren't as manufactured as you are making out.

Sure, she/they needed a platform, but I don't think they sold out particularly. As you say, she had the choice to go big with a major label solo career, she chose to stay with her boys. Fair play Hayley.

Plus, I'm pretty sure they aren't signed to FBR anymore.

Edit: yes neoism, Let The Flames Begin is so amazing! I can't believe I didn't mention it. Man, that intro, I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.

NinjaBoiX

awesome, we need to send her in the front lines more often. World peace is a hug away.
Yeah, I really liked the concept. "Love conquers all". I thought she was going to take that dude on at the end!

Then she hugs him.

I wish I was that dude...

NinjaBoiX

Oh man this is the exact opposite of my list haha. Actually, I'd probably put Riot! as my favorite
Yeah, I adore Riot!, but as I said in the OP, it's just a little over produced for me. I think BNE nailed the balance between a rough, raw punky production, and polished pop sensibilities.

That said, Riot! is a fantastic album to drive in the Summer with, it's so full of youthful exuberance! All euphoric choruses and upbeat, major key riffs.

neoism

Oh man this is the exact opposite of my list haha. Actually, I'd probably put Riot! as my favorite

same.... Riot >AWKIF>BNE
I didn't like BNE for a long time... it took awhile to click, but its definitely got some amazing songs...Riot was the first album I listened to though...

xJavonta

Banned
Longtime fan, cannot fucking wait for the new album. I didn't like Now at first, but it grew on me.

New Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Man Overboard and The Wonder Years album. Damn, 2013 is gonna be a good year for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom