• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overrated/Underrated games for respective franchises?

Rivian

Neo Member
Crash Bandicoot

Underrated: The Wrath of Cortex
My favourite mainline Crash game as a kid. I was blown away by how "meh" the reviews / popular opinion of it were - it's great! Doesn't innovate much, but some of the most memorable Crash levels ever (e.g. the Hamster Ball of Frustration & the inexplicable aircraft stuff).

Overrated: Crash Team Racing
My favourite Crash game that wasn't Wrath of Cortex! I loved it to bits, but the hyperbole around its greatness has gotten a bit crazy.

Ratchet & Clank

I think these are great games nonetheless, but still:

Overrated
Crack in Time
Mainly because of the open battlefield oriented level design on many of the planets that get stale after a while, as opposed to other games in the series, that are generally more linear in level design (which isn't a bad thing), and are more intricate and particular with its level structure and enemy setups. Even the non huge battlefield levels in CiT had a lot of "sit in this room and fight waves of enemies ". I like being on the go. Not that other R&C games didn't have this to some extent, and not that I dislike that kind of design altogether, I just think CiT relied on it too much. That and the pacing with the Clank sections make it harder to replay than the other games in the series. It was amazing the first play-through though, which I why I think CiT seems to be praised higher in more general forums like these as opposed to R&C specific communities who replay the games a lot. (It's still praised a lot there, just not as much)

R&C PS4
Eh, this one is just kind of short. Awesome graphics, but I feel like there are other games in the series that have such a better/meatier content/gameplay package that I'm surprised I see so many say it's easily the best one.

Underrated
I don't know if I have an answer for this. I guess Into The Nexus since it seems like many people don't mind that one much.

I agree with this. I think the pacing of the gameplay suffered from the open areas because of the hover board mechanic. For me, the pacing of R&C games is Ratchet running and strafing on foot, going through corridors and rooms blowing shit up. Hovering around open areas just got boring for me. I also think the story was too serious.

Underrated

Tools for Destruction. I had a lot more fun with it than A Crack in Time, which people seem to love. It has more of what I love from those games than CiT does.

Galang

Banned
Final Fantasy
Overrated: FFVII
Underrated: FFV

Pokemon
Overrated: Red/Blue
Underrated: Ruby/Sapphire

Persona
Overrated: Persona 4
Underrated: Persona 3

Mario
Overrated: Mario 64
Underrated: Mario 3D World

Jawmuncher

Overrated: Code Veronica X
- It's easily the worst aged of the classic style and is the game currently in need of a remake the most. While it has some good story elements a lot of the gameplay additions such as the FPS and 3D graphics leave a lot to be desired. Not to mention it's the easiest game to enter a "no win state" and some enemies are nothing but cheap hits (Off screen Bander Snatches & Stun lock Hunters)

Underrated: Resident Evil 6
- The game has problem alright. But I still stand that it gets shit on a bit too heavily. If you take it for what it is (An Action Game) there is a lot to like. Mainly in the gameplay department itself. Aside from that there was a lot of great characterization and ties to the older games. Something which is sorely missing from RE7.

Menitta

I think Apollo Justice Ace Attorney is pretty underrated. It's what I think is the best in the series when it comes to investigation sections. Ema Skye in AJ is one of the best characters in the series. I don't blame people for not liking it, but it's still pretty good.

HMD

Assassins Creed

Overrated: Black Flag was boring, the characters were boring, the dialog was boring, and there was nothing interesting about the boats.

Underrated: Unity is my 2nd favorite in the series, I loved the mission design, I really liked the main characters and it was visually stunning, it's still one of the best looking games in this gen.

xerzewatt

Fallout

Underrated: Fallout 2. Wackier than Fallout 1 but still a great RPG.
Even more Underrated: Fallout New Vegas. Yeah there are some bugs but the game itself is amazing.
Overrated: Fallout 4. F3 is a worse game and I liked F4 quite a bit but it is a serious step back from F:NV and I really don't get the "gunplay is better now" argument, it feels more or less same to me.

Uncharted

Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Pretty fun TPS, just like the other games in the series, only on a great handheld.

Overrated: Uncharted 4. Maybe because I played it so close to H:ZD but I don't think U4 looks that much better and it has nothing else to raise it above the rest of Uncharted series. I think it is the worst one because of the annoying stealth sections.

Halo

Underrated: Halo ODST: Great game with an amazing atmosphere, killer soundtrack and the VA cast is basically a firefly reunion with a cylon guest star.

Overrated: Halo 3: Utterly bland campaign, I cannot remember a single moment from the game.

Gears of War

Overrated: GoW 1: Visually very boring. I really disliked how it controlled as well (that might be just me though)

Zelda

Overrated: BotW: Some interesting ideas, but the combination is a really annoying game.

Crash Bandicoot

Underrated: The Wrath of Cortex
My favourite mainline Crash game as a kid. I was blown away by how "meh" the reviews / popular opinion of it were - it's great! Doesn't innovate much, but some of the most memorable Crash levels ever (e.g. the Hamster Ball of Frustration & the inexplicable aircraft stuff).

Overrated: Crash Team Racing
My favourite Crash game that wasn't Wrath of Cortex! I loved it to bits, but the hyperbole around its greatness has gotten a bit crazy.

Another Wrath Of Cortex fan! *High Five*

-

Pokemon

Overrated: Gen 2

Underrated: Gen 5

TheMoon

Fallout
Underrated: Fallout 2.
Overrated: Fallout 4.

Fallout 2, a widely beloved classic = underrated?
Fallout 4, a greatly anticipated game met with lukewarm reception that nobody's talking about anymore = overrated?

what are you doing?

Wil348

For the Sonic series, I definitely think that Sonic Adventure 2 was overrated. In my opinion, only a third of the game was legitimately good while the rest of the content was mediocre to awful.

GonzoCR

Ratchet & Clank:

Underrated: Size Matters
Seriously this is actually pretty good. Best door opening mechanic in the series because for once it wasn't an annoying minigame (though don't quote me on that, been a long time since I played most of the games).

Overrated: Up Your Arsenal
Game is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I feel it leaned too heavily on its combat and left the platforming in the dust. OG Ratchet & Clank and GC had a better mix of both and that's why they're my favorites. Annihilation Nation was legit though and the game was hilarious.

Pokemon:
Overrated: Ruby/Sapphire
Too much water.
Onky half joking. Didn't like
Hoenn that much

Underrated: Sinnoh games
GAF seems to really hate Gen IV but I don't really get it. It was the last uniformly good gen if you ask me. None of the starters sucked, Sinnoh was the last region where I didn't feel I was being guided by the devs, music was great and the region was pretty. Platinum also fixed pretty much all problems with Diamond & Pearl so I don't get that hate.

Those of you saying Black Flag are hurting my soul. Rogue is underrated though, and much better than Unity.

Thud

Super Mario

Overrated: Super Mario Galaxy, try playing it again after 2. Boring
Underrated: Super Mario Land. Tried a lot of different stuff and with those amazing tunes for a GB title. Odyssey reminds me a lot of this game, but now we can acccept its weirdness wholeheartedly.

The Legend of Zelda

Overrated: A Link To The Past. It's a good game, but it doesn't do much for me.
Underrated: Adventure of Link. People love to shit on it. The engaging combat is very satisfying, eventhough it takes some time to get used to it.

Majukun

zelda

overrated: wind waker

many people consider it like the best 3d zelda while IMHO it's the worst. way too easy, bad dungeons, empty overworld with very little content but just more spread around compared to other Zelda's, combat is boring due to the counter being too easy, pretty much every item apart from the leaf and partially the hew hookshot is taken straight up from other Zeldas.. if you already played ocarina and majora, wind waker feels extremely formulaic.

underrated: twilight princess

while. not the best zelda ever, it's leaps and bounds better than wind waker. yes, the overworld it's way too gimmickly big compared to the content inside it, but the dungeons are some of the best in the series and the game presents new items never seen in general or in a 3d zelda... Although they suffer from a lack of integration in the overworld, which makes them useful only in the dungeons and no much else.

Assassins Creed

Overrated: Black Flag was boring, the characters were boring, the dialog was boring, and there was nothing interesting about the boats.

Underrated: Unity is my 2nd favorite in the series, I loved the mission design, I really liked the main characters and it was visually stunning, it's still one of the best looking games in this gen.

I agree 100%

While I enjoyed Black Flag, the characters and story didnt do anything honestly, the only enjoyable thing about was the ships and island exploration.

Also, Unity was the most focused AC game I had played since AC2, story was impactful, coop free roam with friends, revised descent mechanics, really only draw back is the hasty release and all the bugs.

Final Fantasy - Overrated: VII. Underrated: XII
Halo - Overrated: Halo 2. Underrated: Reach
Assassin's Creed - Overrated: Black Flag. Underrated: III and Unity
Elder Scrolls - Overrated: Skyrim. Underrated: Morrowind
Zelda - Overrated: Majora's Mask. Underrated - Twilight Princess
Dark Souls 2 is also very underrated

Fallout 4, a greatly anticipated game met with lukewarm reception that nobody's talking about anymore = overrated?

what are you doing?

I'm sure he's referring to mass public reception. Fallout 4 was a critical darling and I believe Bethesda said it's their fastest selling game ever.

Final Fantasy
Overrated: FFVII

Pokemon
Overrated: Red/Blue
Underrated: Ruby/Sapphire

Persona
Overrated: Persona 4
Underrated: Persona 3

Mario
Overrated: Mario 64
Underrated: Mario 3D World

This is funny because I always thought the opposite. Well, I guess I wouldn't say P4 (or any mainline persona game for that matters) is underrated.

Slam dunk on the pokemon one tho.

MrBadger

I think Super Mario World is a bit overrated. The map is cool and I liked the game a lot when I was younger, but the level design is a bit meh, controls are slippy and the visuals and music are pretty bland. Yet people here would have you believe it's the best 16-bit platformer by far.

For underrated, I'd say NSMBU. Tends to get overlooked because of how exhausted NSMB was when it launched, but the level design is great stuff

AerialAir

Banned
Sonic

Underrated: the GBA ones.
Overrated: Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The GBA sonic games have fantastic level design, they're fast and the best since Sonic 2. On the other hand S3K is very slow and they tried to do new things with the level design that just didn't fit well imo

MrT-Tar

Mario Platformers:

Overrated: Super Mario Sunshine
Underrated: New Super Mario Bros U (My personal favourite 2d Mario)

Final Fantasy:

Overrated: FFX

Zelda:

Overrated: Phantom Hourglass
Underrated: Skyward Sword

Metal Gear:

Overrated: Peace Walker
Underrated: Snake Eater

Keinning

Fallout:
Underrated- Fallout Tactics
It's good folks. People soured on it for not being a traditional fallout and BoS made everyone wary of fallout spinoffs, but tactics is still pretty fun.

Overrated- Fallout 3
'Nuff said.

Final Fantasy:
Underrated - FFV
It had to do with the game never getting a western release, i know, but its still not as loved as it should except for a small niche of people

Overrated- FFIV
Story is weak and sometimes forced (trying to get emotional responses from things you never had time nor reason to care about), the constant melodrama and party shifting/killing is annoying and it started a trend for plot heavy dramatic soap opera plots for final fantasy that i really don't like. Weakest of the SNES FFs, usually considered the best

Pokemon:
Underrated - Platinum
Gen IV ain't even my favourite gen, but Platinum fixed all the bad things from Diamond and Pearl but still never got the recognition it deserved because everyone was still soured by them

Overrated- Sun & Moon
Would pick Gen VI but plenty of people don't like Gen VI that much either. Sun & Moon however got a huge buzz of "saving pokemon", "making pokemon interesting again", "trying new things and breaking the old, stale formula" and while i don't think the games are bad, i don't think they're nowhere near as great as people painted them near launch. honeymoon period is over and the impressions are getting more in touch with what the games really are, though

Ace Attorney

Gyakuten Kenji 2 is overrated af, like it has the worst pacing of the series and a ton of cringe Yamazakian moments and still thought as a great AA?

On the other hand, I think Apollo Justice is a bit underrated, since it has pretty much the same flaws as its successors but at least it tried something different which worked well enough.

You, i like you

Years of fighting the internet who absolutely loves GK2 for some reason and i never got it, so many stupid moments and leaps of logic there

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Soul Calibur

Underrated: Soul Calibur III

PS2 only, no Link, a serious memory card bug and unintentional gameplay imbalances for competetive players (which were fixed in the arcade edition. Alas this was the pre-patch era), but probably the most quality single player content a fighter has ever had.

A great roster, stages for all 25 characters (not counting the 17 bonus fighters) with a few to spare, an awesome intro video, extensive create-a-character (still one of the greats, especially for its time), a really really good soundtrack (featuring redone classics returning from Soul Calibur I and a lot of great new tracks).

Oh, and modes. It had your arcade mode (called quick play, but functionally identical) a Missions mode (a bunch of challenge fights under special conditions or against special enemies, and things like survival), World Championship (simulates a tournament against AI), and two story modes.

The first is Tales of Souls, which is close to your traditional arcade mode but with more narrative and player interaction. You choose one of the 24 main fighters (can't play as the final boss in this mode because duh) and set off on a journey, with text describing your characters actions (tailored to that character specifically, and though resulting in mostly the same fights, it's largely not generic). You often get to choose one of two paths, resulting in a different series of fights each time you play. Sometimes there will be a short cutscene before the fight where you have to perform a little QTE or you'll start the battle with less health or some other debilitation. Sometimes after a battle you'll get a prompt that--unless ignored--leads to a bonus fight on the same stage. Those could get pretty crazy. You fight a boss after a set amount of stages, and then get an ending movie (with two outcomes based on the player's input). However, if you meet certain conditions, there are some secrets to be discovered, like Olcadan in the Grand Labyrinth or the hidden final boss.

The second story mode is Chronicles of the Sword. In that one, you create the main character, and the game's story takes place in a sort of different reality from the main Soul Calibur story (though Soul Edge still plays a big role, and the main cast shows up as difficult optional bonus fights). It plays out like a lite strategy game, with RPG elements (characters have classes, stats, and they level up) and fights are resolved (in most cases) through traditional Soul Calibur battles. The whole thing is pretty lengthy, and though the story isn't super amazing or anything, it's not horrible either. Frankly it's amazing that they made a fully separate story with it's own characters and all that on top of managing the Soul Calibur story and cast.

SCIII is an amazing fighting game package, and it's disheartening to see it get belittled for not having a guest character, or being on PS2. Even the balance and bug issues seem pointless to consider in retrospect, as they were both fixed in the Arcade Edition, and if the game were remastered, they would surely be fixed there as well. The meat and potatoes of the game are fantastic, and deserve more respect, especially when fighting games these days struggle to include even the most basic of modes.

Overrated: Soul Calibur II

Gets too much credit based on Link and nostalgia. It's a great game, but almost everything in it was done better elsewhere in the series.

Man I need to sleep

AerialAir

Banned
critical darling? my perception was the opposite, honestly.

Captura_de_ecra_2017_06_23_a_s_13_10_51.png

It was a critical darling. I know, I know, this is just IGN and their reviews are many times very divisive, but we still have to consider that it's a website that gets a TON of traffic, mostly from mainstream audiences, and that 8.8 from 444 players is also significant. Personally, I didn't like the game, but I have to admit it was very well received by the mainstream.

TheMoon

Captura_de_ecra_2017_06_23_a_s_13_10_51.png

It was a critical darling. I know, I know, this is just IGN and their reviews are many times very divisive, but we still have to consider that it's a website that gets a TON of traffic, mostly from mainstream audiences, and that 8.8 from 444 players is also significant. Personally, I didn't like the game, but I have to admit it was very well received by the mainstream.

All the sites I'm following that mentioned it are absolutely cold on it, that's where it comes from, I guess.

Terrorblot

tenor.gif

Overrated: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8D, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Ratchet and Clank (2016), every mainline Pokemon game since RS (excluding BW2), Tales of Symphonia.

Underrated: Mario Sunshine, FIre Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem, Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando, Dark Souls 3, Pokemon Colosseum, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Tales of Graces F (in the west), Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.

I agree with Ratchet and Clank 2. Most modern Pokemon game's aren't that great, but Sun and Moon was a huge return to form in spades. Sunshine is neither under or overrated. It's a fantastic game, and also justifiably a black sheep of the franchise the water concept is interesting but it isn't the kind of gimick you're raring to see return, it was welcome for that iteration but I wouldn't want to see it return. The camera and analog control can be jarring at times, particularly when using the the jetpack.

Mario 3D World and Kart 8D are best in the franchise.

kuYuri

Call of Duty

Overrated: Modern Warfare 2 - The campaign and Spec Ops mode are excellent, but the thing this game is most remembered for and its biggest problem is its multiplayer and to some extent its PC release. In retrospect, since the game rarely received any major balance changes and bug fixes, it's now one of the biggest shit shows in the series. It becomes obvious due to the issues that surrounded Infinity Ward/Activision. Due to this:

- A number of weapon balance issues remain
- A number of weapon bugs remain
- Perk balance issues. Some remain underpowered, bordering on useless, while others are incredibly frustrating and unfair.
- PC version is a hot mess not so much for lack of dedicated servers, but for being a fairly barebones console port.

Underrated: Infinite Warfare Or Ghosts. Can't decide now which one to write a description of.

Overrated : Uncharted 4. The graphics are the best of this console generation I think but the gameplay , story and long boring "walk in the park" dialog that sometimes goes on for a good 30 minutes at a time is awful. Nathan's long lost brother? Couldn't give a fuck about him. Another "in vein" treasure hunt wrapped in an attempt at the real "treasure" being more down to Earth? Barf. It's Naughty Dog's worst story in any Uncharted game but it got so many awards because "Oooo shiny!" Graphics. I don't hate the game despite my whining but I think the fact that any critical reception was met with angry fanboys starting a petition to force a lower than anticipated score from a major gaming review site to re-review it and that one of the lead voice actors (Troy Baker) re-tweeted this petition is just gross.

Underrated : Zelda : Skyward Sword. Yea I get why some don't like it but calling it a "weak" entry in the Zelda series... are you fucking crazy? Because it required a small but easily dealt with learn curve in motion control? Took me all of 5 minutes to get the hang of fighting and I never thought about it again. It also had bar none the best dungeons in the entire franchise IMO. It's also a beautiful game and had a fantastic soundtrack. The hate it gets just baffles me.

Slythe

Underrated:

Dark Souls 2 (SotFS) - Worse world connectivity, but it's an absolute blast and a fantastic experience. Its reputation as "trash" is embarrassing and - I believe - stems from the unending worship of the first game. After leveling up ADP I prefer the way DS2 "feels"."

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - I had so much fun with this game and am always shocked when people trash it. I played the HD collection version for PS3 and thought it was a very worthy entry in the series. The level based approach was a risk that I thought payed off nicely, and the Fulton system was a genius way to incentive stealth over violence.

Final Fantasy IV - Of the 4 FF games I've played (IV-VII), this was by far my favorite story and cast of characters. I don't hear much about it and feel it gets unfairly overshadowed by VI.

Uncharted 3 - I understand that the court of public opinion views this game as inferior to UC2, but for my money it is the much better game. I enjoyed the story, pacing, cast and set pieces of UC3 to UC2 by a large margin.

Important note: For all of the above games I played some version that was released later (DS2 SotFS, Peace Walker remastered, FFIV for DS and UC3 for PS4), so the revisions made to those versions certainly might play a role in my feelings toward them.

Overrated:

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - This one is real simple; the N64 version of this game is not worthy of the title of "best Zelda game." Not by a long shot. I can't speak to the quality of the 3DS remaster, but OG Majora's Mask always felt like a flawed but interesting side game. It's ascension to GOAT praise is very strange to me and not something I resonate with at all.

Dark Souls - I love Dark Souls, and its connected world led to some of the greatest "a-ha" moments I've ever experienced in a game. However, I simply can't get on board with the notion that it has good pacing (early game included). While the areas themselves connect, the mental flow of where you are to be going is totally disconnected. The early game of DS1 is praised, but in my experience it was quite unintuitive to navigate to the two bells while dealing with oddly placed bosses (Capra and Butterfly) and random locked doors who's corresponding keys were in totally unrelated areas. Also, coming off of Demon's Souls, the lore seemed far less focused and bosses far less memorable.

Final Fantasy VI - Put simply, this game did not click with me when I played it last year. After playing IV and V, I expected a masterpiece. Instead I got a bloated cast that I never felt connected to, a jumbled mess of stats (magicite system) and a twenty hour stretch of gameplay that easily became my least favorite portion of any FF game (WoR).

Twelvy

Overrated
Xenogears - I loved the atmosphere, the design, the graphics, the music but I didn't get the combat system. I couldn't see any depth, where the best strategy was to go for the strongest hit as soon as possible> I think even the combat system wasn't finished or balanced

A link between worlds - Everything is well done but nothing stands out gameplay wise. That's the only Zelda I played so far so I wonder if the others are the same.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - Labelled as the one of the best mobile games. Good music though

Underrated
Tomb Raider Underworld - The last good tomb raider for me. The last ones are too action oriented.

Puppeteer - I have a very good time with this one and the graphics/design are very nice

xerzewatt

what are you doing?

Fallout 2: Yeah, I guess that was a stretch. I saw a couple of recent mentions of how it diluted the perfectness of Fallout 1 and kinda assumed that is how people see it.

Fallout 4: It is the lukewarm reception you mention (84 MC if you about that sorta thing). People should have roasted F4 to no end for its main story and the dialogue system. F3 has a terrible main story as well but you can somewhat excuse it because the jump from F2 to F3 was immense. There really was nothing like F3 (I think Oblivion&Morrowind are terrible games on almost every front). For F4, there is no such excuse. Obsidian showed how they can take the concept Bethesda set up and run with it.

Now that I remember it ...
Elder Scrolls:
Overrated: Oblivion & Morrowind: Terrible controls, ugly graphics, and one of the worst auto-leveling systems I have ever seen.

Underrated:

LLv4cUp.jpg

It's really not a bad game gameplaywise, it's just really simple. It's fun though and I really liked the story.

EUzBKjC.png

To me this is where the series jumped the shark. It's just so...weird. Even by RE standards. It has its charms.

I'm not going into shit that's overrated. I think everyone else will take care of that for me.

GamerJM

Banned
Zero Escape

ZTD is underrated, like, it's not amazing and has a ton of flaws, but it gets treated like trash by fans because of story reasons and that's it.

Ace Attorney

Gyakuten Kenji 2 is overrated af, like it has the worst pacing of the series and a ton of cringe Yamazakian moments and still thought as a great AA?

On the other hand, I think Apollo Justice is a bit underrated, since it has pretty much the same flaws as its successors but at least it tried something different which worked well enough.

Definitely agree with these, at least the first two. AJ was a game I used to think was underrated but the more time has passed the more people have seemed to like it with time, which made me think it's less underrated since it does certainly have problems (though mine are different than the ones normally cited.....I thought it was too short and lacked a true standout moment). I think Dual Destinies is the true most underrated AA, but Apollo Justice is the post-OG trilogy game that tries the most unique things and has the most clear vision so I can understand/respect this opinion a lot.

ZTD and GK2 are definitely super agreeable though. I think Spirit of Justice probably has worse pacing than GK2, but the rest definitely. GK2 can get ridiculous and ZTD has some pretty memorable and special moments in spite of its flaws.

TheMoon

Fallout 2: Yeah, I guess that was a stretch. I saw a couple of recent mentions of how it diluted the perfectness of Fallout 1 and kinda assumed that is how people see it.

Fallout 4: It is the lukewarm reception you mention (84 MC if you about that sorta thing). People should have roasted F4 to no end for its main story and the dialogue system. F3 has a terrible main story as well but you can somewhat excuse it because the jump from F2 to F3 was immense. There really was nothing like F3 (I think Oblivion&Morrowind are terrible games on almost every front). For F4, there is no such excuse. Obsidian showed how they can take the concept Bethesda set up and run with it.

Now that makes more sense. That's why these posts need explanations :)

I'd say Tools of Destruction. Crack in Time kind of over shadowed it but ToD is just a really damn good meat and potatoes R&C game. It's fairly long, has a lot of memorable levels, brought a few great gadgets to the table (hello Groovitron and Mr. Zirkon), and looks fantastic. Made even more impressive considering that it was released in the first year of the PS3 at a time when a lot of other devs were still struggling with the hardware.

I agree with this. I think the pacing of the gameplay suffered from the open areas because of the hover board mechanic. For me, the pacing of R&C games is Ratchet running and strafing on foot, going through corridors and rooms blowing shit up. Hovering around open areas just got boring for me. I also think the story was too serious.

Underrated

Tools for Destruction. I had a lot more fun with it than A Crack in Time, which people seem to love. It has more of what I love from those games than CiT does.

I actually liked the hoverboots (and the story.) While Insom probably pushed the battlefields to give you something to do with them, I never thought it was necessary to handle it how they did.

I agree with ToD probably being the prime candidate for underrated. I had more fun with that than CiT despite that I think it has the worse arsenal.

Deadlocked is pretty underrated, it's basically a full-on sci-fi shooter at that point, but it controls well and is still a fun game, albeit not a proper R&C game.

While I think Deadlocked is good, would still pick ToD as underrated over it. If it I still saw the same amount of hate for it that I used to, I would pick it.

Fallout

Underrated: Fallout 2. Wackier than Fallout 1 but still a great RPG.
Even more Underrated: Fallout New Vegas. Yeah there are some bugs but the game itself is amazing.
Overrated: Fallout 4. F3 is a worse game and I liked F4 quite a bit but it is a serious step back from F:NV and I really don't get the "gunplay is better now" argument, it feels more or less same to me.
This is hardly controversial if we're talking about "hardcore" gamers.

I love NV but I'm also not sure how you can say the gunplay in 4 is the same.

Edit: nvm saw your follow-up, still though the gunplay comment is weird. 4 was worse than NV easily but the gunplay and graphics were huge steps up.

kurahador

Overrated: GTAIV
Underrated: GTA Chinatown Wars - this game so overlooked, that it rarely get mentioned in any overlooked games articles.

Lynx_7

I generally despise calling something "overrated" as it has this douchey conotation of "I know better than you all do" and it's a buzzword I always avoid using, but for the sake of the thread's premise I'll play along.

Final Fantasy
Overrated: Final Fantasy XII. Good ideas on paper, largely boring execution.
Underrated: Final Fantasy V. Great gameplay and a charming, self-aware localization (GBA) that elevates an otherwise mundane plot. Has more great character moments than people give it credit and some memorable death scenes to boot, unlike IV. Speaking of which, the fact that fans always recommend IV and VI while purposefully skipping V makes me want to put IV in the overrated stack too.

Fire Emblem
Overrated: Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (7, GBA, whatever you wanna call it). It's often put on a pedestal due to being both the game that introduced a lot of people to the series and having that old-school cred to go along with it. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but... Yeah.
Underrated: Sacred Stones is better than people give it credit for, despite being a really easy entry. And Shadow Dragon is not nearly as bad as the fanbase would have you believe.

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is underrated in general, but I don't have an overrated equivalent for the BoF franchise.

Top Bottom