• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

As much as I love this TV and the Pro, I think / hope I echo a lot of thoughts here when I say, I havent got a fucking clue whats right and whats not right when setting it up for HDR.

Honestly, there needs to be one correct guide for making sure we all have HDR working correctly.

I know we all have the same TV and that the actual settings for colour etc will vary due to eahc others rooms and set ups, but I'm referring to HDR itself.

From my understanding, I have UHD Colour Mode on HDMI One and when the Pro plays a HDR enabled game, I get a notification on the TV that HDR content is being displayed.
So In my mind, I'm ok

But then bodine in here says we should do the following according to the AVS Forums:

If you updated your firmware don't forget to set your Native Color to Auto (not Native) in HDR (or any setting really). Setting it to Native for HDR and Auto on non HDR was a bug that has been fixed in the latest firmware.

I've just set mine to Auto whilst on the PS4's homescreen with no HDR content on and its white washed to hell and back.

bodine1231

As much as I love this TV and the Pro, I think / hope I echo a lot of thoughts here when I say, I havent got a fucking clue whats right and whats not right when setting it up for HDR.

Honestly, there needs to be one correct guide for making sure we all have HDR working correctly.

I know we all have the same TV and that the actual settings for colour etc will vary due to eahc others rooms and set ups, but I'm referring to HDR itself.

From my understanding, I have UHD Colour Mode on HDMI One and when the Pro plays a HDR enabled game, I get a notification on the TV that HDR content is being displayed.
So In my mind, I'm ok

But then bodine in here says we should do the following according to the AVS Forums:

If you updated your firmware don't forget to set your Native Color to Auto (not Native) in HDR (or any setting really). Setting it to Native for HDR and Auto on non HDR was a bug that has been fixed in the latest firmware.

I've just set mine to Auto whilst on the PS4's homescreen with no HDR content on and its white washed to hell and back.

For non HDR you should use Native. For HDR use Auto. Do this only if you upgraded to the latest firmware. What is confusing people is that in older reviews before the patch it was swapped around.

lt519

OK Titanfall looks incredible, it's actually a bit dizzying haha.

Still not sure I'm seeing a difference in HDR vs non-HDR. Wish Sony would put out some kind of test app.

Yeah, I mean the 4K is super impressive, I'm sitting like 4 feet from a 60" screen and it looks amazing. But the HDR is questionable so far in the two games I've played. Things aren't popping unless I jack up Dynamic Contrast.

I can see and understand the difference between the HDR and non-HDR. HDR clearly has a much larger range, but I'm not sure the games were really using the whole range. I dunno, going to throw Titanfall 2 in and check it out. I wanted to try Infamous first since I already knew what it looked like pre-HDR.

Last of us and Uncharted 4 impressed me HDR wise - Infamous just doesn't

Bloodsent

I'm so confused, turning off HDR actaully makes Infamous Second Son look better, I have to be doing something wrong here. I have that UHD setting turned on, Warm 2, Backlight 20, etc. Things just look washed out. It is in Game Mode and all I do is turn on/off the UHD thing and turning it on makes things look darker/washed out. Sometimes I can't even tell a difference.

My PS4 is reporting YUV422 and HDR in 2k/4k when I turn on that UHD setting.

Should I set the game settings to Max Brightness?

Edit: Ok, holy shit disabled HDR rendering IN GAME and the difference is astonishing. I'm not sure turning the setting on/off on my TV is doing a whole lot. But turning it on/off in the game makes a world of a difference. I notice when I turn it off in the game the brightness is way up (albiet same in game brightness setting) so I guess my real question is, what the hell are you supposed to set IN GAME VIDEO SETTINGS to?

For some reason, the PS4 isn't increasing the backlight to max like it does on other HDR content. I believe it isn't setting the Metadata. Trying maxing out the backlight while the ingame setting has HDR on.

lt519

For some reason, the PS4 isn't increasing the backlight to max like it does on other HDR content. I believe it isn't setting the Metadata. Trying maxing out the backlight while the ingame setting has HDR on.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that is working right. I put in Titanfall 2 with Max backlight and for the brightness test I had to crank the game all the way to the minimum and the image was still very clearly visible. For some reason Titanfall auto selected RGB versus YUV for inFamous.

For non HDR you should use Native. For HDR use Auto. Do this only if you upgraded to the latest firmware. What is confusing people is that in older reviews before the patch it was swapped around.

Every other setting on my pro and my tv are default/automatic

Right ok, So can you guys confirm for me what I've got set up on the TV and what the PS4 Pro tells me is correct from your point of views then?

TV:
HDMI 1: UHD Colour Mode On
HDMI Black Level: Normal

PS4 Pro:
Resolution: Automatic
RGB Range: Full
HDR: Automatic
Deep Colour Output: Automatic

Under Video Output Information:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 60Hz
Colour Format: RGB
HDR on Your TV: 2K / 4K Supported
HDCP: 2.2

Any confirmation or help would be appreciated. As I just want to make sure this is all right.

And when I do play a game that has HDR I want to do the following:

Backlight: Max
Colour Space: Native
Smart LED: High

Does Smart LED need to be on for Non HDR or does it not matter?

Thanks for your help and anyone else that might chime in on this! :)

bodine1231

Right ok, So can you guys confirm for me what I've got set up on the TV and what the PS4 Pro tells me is correct from your point of views then?

TV:
HDMI 1: UHD Colour Mode On
HDMI Black Level: Normal

PS4 Pro:
Resolution: Automatic
RGB Range: Full
HDR: Automatic
Deep Colour Output: Automatic

Under Video Output Information:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 60Hz
Colour Format: RGB
HDR on Your TV: 2K / 4K Supported
HDCP: 2.2

Any confirmation or help would be appreciated. As I just want to make sure this is all right.

And when I do play a game that has HDR I want to do the following:

Backlight: Max
Colour Space: Native
Smart LED: High

Does Smart LED need to be on for Non HDR or does it not matter?

Thanks for your help and anyone else that might chime in on this! :)

I leave black levels to Auto.
On the PS4 I have everything on Automatic
Make sure your Backlight and Contrast are 100 for HDR!!
I leave Smart LED on for everything
Dynamic Contrast Off
Color Space Native (for non HDR) Auto for HDR (if you updated the TV firmware to latest)

The only thing I change from HDR games to non HDR games is the color space and Backlight level. Everything else automatically switches and works great for me.

I fixed my HDR problem with Final Fantasy by setting the color space to auto (after updating firmware) and turning off HDR then turning it back on.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that is working right. I put in Titanfall 2 with Max backlight and for the brightness test I had to crank the game all the way to the minimum and the image was still very clearly visible. For some reason Titanfall auto selected RGB versus YUV for inFamous.

It'll got RGB as Titanfall 2 doesn't support HDR

Phreak47

Damn, my PS4 pro shipment got delayed (pre-order, should have had it yesterday), but I just finished setting up the KS8000 65" on a new stand w/floating mount (my old stand wasn't big enough for this, but i'm glad to have the new one now, having it mounted without the hassle/worry of drilling into the wall is a nice option)... I just finished and went ahead and mirrored the Rtings settings to start with. Popped on Bloodline (in 4k) and it's fucking brilliant. Can't wait to see the games. Still don't have an update on my shipment. All I can say is: FUCKING DALLAS

Dynamic Contrast Off
Color Space Native (for non HDR) Auto for HDR (if you updated the TV firmware to latest)

The only thing I change from HDR games to non HDR games is the color space and Backlight level. Everything else automatically switches and works great for me.

I fixed my HDR problem with Final Fantasy by setting the color space to auto (after updating firmware) and turning off HDR then turning it back on.

Thanks for the information! :)
What firmware are you on?

I'm on 1142 and theres no new update when I check via the TV.

SeanR1221

Dynamic Contrast Off

Ah upping the backlight and contrast.

I wish there was a way to have the setting change when HDR comes on. It's a pita to always change back and forth

jeffram

Ah upping the backlight and contrast.

I wish there was a way to have the setting change when HDR comes on. It's a pita to always change back and forth
I don't need to change my backlight settings when switching to HDR.

When I boot up TLoU or U4, and switch HDR on from the main menu, the improvement in picture quality is drastic and immediate. no adjustments necessary.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So color space should be set to auto for HDR games now? What's the difference between that and native?
Just use Auto all the time. Native on SDR content is extremely oversaturated. With HDR content, Auto and Native look pretty close, but Native is slightly less vibrant.

Veitsev

Native on non HDR delivers highly over saturated colors. It looks like a cartoon.

Quick Mustard don't use native on non-HDR.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So RGB Range on the PS4 should just always be set to full with this set?

Playing Skyrim and it seems really dark... but limited washes it out.

Idk... pretty annoying. I'd rather have slightly crushed blacks than a totally washed out image, so I've left it on full. Just doesn't seem like this is the intended result.

Edit: in most cases I've preferred native on non-hdr stuff. Sonetimes it's too much, but it's usually better, imo. But that's just personal preference.

Rbk_3

No that isn't correct. Native over saturated the shit out of the colours.

So RGB Range on the PS4 should just always be set to full with this set?

Playing Skyrim and it seems really dark... but limited washes it out.

Idk... pretty annoying. I'd rather have slightly crushed blacks than a totally washed out image, so I've left it on full. Just doesn't seem like this is the intended result.

Edit: in most cases I've preferred native on non-hdr stuff. Sonetimes it's too much, but it's usually better, imo. But that's just personal preference.

If you set the PS4 to FULL you have to set the HDMI Black on the TV to normal.

J-Skee

Is this supposed to be one of the best TV's for 4K/HDR content? I was personally looking into the Vizio M-Series.

Veitsev

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5TFLSE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the same TV right? Seems really cheap.

Yeah you are basically seeing it at early black friday prices now. Bought that same unit foe 1299 back in August. Knew it would go down but my TV broke and I didn't want to go without one entirely until November. Totally worth it at $999.

Is this supposed to be one of the best TV's for 4K/HDR content? I was personally looking into the Vizio M-Series.

This is supposedly significantly better. The Vizio on par with this is the P Series but its not as good at motion and Vizio's internal scaling technology isn't all that great and Samsung/Sony are top of the line.

harz-marz

The OTA updates seem to be very slow. I downloaded the latest 1150 update off the Samsung support site and installed it via USB on the TV.

Make sure you unzip the file before it's put onto the USB stick. Then go to update it via the usual menu on the TV and it will have an option to do it via USB.

Hope this helps.

Dude. WTF?!

I went to pick up a KS8000 at BestBuy yesterday and immediately posted about the rep pushing the Sony 850 on me.

DON'T BITE.

Doesn't offer HDR for gaming comparable to that of the KS8000.

They're trying to up their numbers for Sony TVs for whatever reason. Fuck 'em.

holyshit! I had the same experience at BestBuy 2 months ago.

I'm on 1142 and color space should be Auto not Native for HDR to get correct color tracking.
Reviews saying set it to Native are based on older firmware that had a bug.

harz-marz

Lol the same happened me in Curry's in Ireland. The Sony rep said that only Sony TV's had the correct HDR compatibility with the PS4 Pro. I argued with him that this wasn't the case and went ahead and bought the KS8000. He wasn't impressed haha.

iMax

Well they aren't technically wrong. It DOES turn on HDR if the source fed to it is HDR. However, in game mode, it doesn't alter the backlight and automatically turn the backlight up.

And it shouldn't. The backlight only "goes up to 20" in the other picture modes because that's the default value. You can change it to whatever you like and it'll remember it for HDR content.

SeanR1221

I don't need to change my backlight settings when switching to HDR.

When I boot up TLoU or U4, and switch HDR on from the main menu, the improvement in picture quality is drastic and immediate. no adjustments necessary.

I agree on uncharted. But on infamous the game is pretty damn dark

Well i have a 15 4k m series no hdr so should i upgrade too a ks8000 or hold off til 17 models its driving me crazy lol

I want to say hold off... But really the only reason to do so would be if VESA introduced HDMI 2.1 and manufacturers released new sets in 2017 with the updated ports. Seeing as I can pretty much guarantee you this won't happen... So you'll likely be waiting until 2018 at the earliest to see any really marked changes.

I could be wrong though and I suppose there really isn't harm in waiting.

dochuge

Anyone know why some picture options are grayed out while others aren't? HDMI black level comes to mind. It's on auto and says the "function isn't available".

iMax

Anyone know why some picture options are grayed out while others aren't? HDMI black level comes to mind. It's on auto and says the "function isn't available".

I believe some settings are disabled in certain picture modes, e.g. Game Mode. But leaving everything to Automatic is usually for the best.

Snarts

Banned
I for one have to say that HDR is a total letdown if this is the image quality we get. I was thinking HDR enabled games would have a pop to them in term of brightness and color. All I seen so far is dull colors with low brightness settings that make everything look washed out and unimpressive. Add to the fact that having HDR enabled adds unwanted input lag. I think I will just keep HDR off on my PS4 for now.

The OTA updates seem to be very slow. I downloaded the latest 1150 update off the Samsung support site and installed it via USB on the TV.

Make sure you unzip the file before it's put onto the USB stick. Then go to update it via the usual menu on the TV and it will have an option to do it via USB.

Hope this helps.

I'm on 1142 and color space should be Auto not Native for HDR to get correct color tracking.
Reviews saying set it to Native are based on older firmware that had a bug.

Hmm ok.

Just checked the Samsung site and the version they have here:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv/KS7000/?modelCode=UE49KS7000UXXU

downloads with the file name: T-JZMDEUC_1111.0.exe

So I'm assuming thats firmware 1111.

chico

i dont know if it was mentioned already. its very important to set the ps4 setting for RGB to full. "RGB Range: Full"

On automatic the picture looked way to dark! after changing it to Full it now looks amazing.

I for one have to say that HDR is a total letdown if this is the image quality we get. I was thinking HDR enabled games would have a pop to them in term of brightness and color. All I seen so far is dull colors with low brightness settings that make everything look washed out and unimpressive. Add to the fact that having HDR enabled adds unwanted input lag. I think I will just keep HDR off on my PS4 for now.

You must have some settings wrong on your set or PS4 then. This is the inverse of my experience with HDR thus far.

Loptr

Neo Member
I have worked in various SAT (Samsung, LG and Sony), do not put the backlight at 100% NEVER!!!. You Wanna kill the backlight Leds of your TV in 1,5 or 2 years. IT'S A BAD IDEA

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
ok, so what exactly am i doing wrong when i cannot turn on game mode with my ps4pro?
i have the ps4pro hooked up to my denon AVR, same like my Satelite reciever. when im using the satelite reciever, the TV gives me the option to use game mode. When using the ps4, the option is greyed out..
ps4 Video Output Info sais
res 3840*2160 60hz
color RGB
HDR 2k/4k supported
hdcp 2.2

laxu

Does anyone know what the equivalent model to the KS8000 is in the Nordic countries? They sell these model:
  • KS8005
  • KS7005

The KS7005 has the same stand as the KS8000 while the KS8005 has a more ordinary looking stand. There are also KS7505 and KS9005 but both are curved.

laxu

ok, so what exactly am i doing wrong when i cannot turn on game mode with my ps4pro?
i have the ps4pro hooked up to my denon AVR, same like my Satelite reciever. when im using the satelite reciever, the TV gives me the option to use game mode. When using the ps4, the option is greyed out..
ps4 Video Output Info sais
res 3840*2160 60hz
color RGB
HDR 2k/4k supported
hdcp 2.2

Does it work if you hook directly to the TV instead of the Denon? I am not fond of Denon due to their ridiculous user interfaces and the one I have (AVR 1600 or something) added noticeable input lag so I had to route PS4 -> Panasonic TV -> Denon via optical.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Does it work if you hook directly to the TV instead of the Denon? I am not fond of Denon due to their ridiculous user interfaces and the one I have (AVR 1600 or something) added noticeable input lag so I had to route PS4 -> Panasonic TV -> Denon via optical.

well, fuck, yes it does when connected directly..
ill try a few things, firmware update, different ports..

ok, theres a new firmware. it takes 22minutes to update.. wtf is that with AVR Firmwares. My old Yamaha also always took centuried to update...

Top Bottom