• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom lied again: Dimps making SF4

jarrod

Banned
Vorador said:
Yeah, it was know long ago. But it seems that it went under the radar of quite a few gaffers.
Kotaku mentioned it once, but NeoGAF generally shot down the idea after Capcom USA staff said it was being done internally in Japan. I didn't go "under the radar", it was assumed disproven.

Vorador

Banned
jarrod said:
Kotaku mentioned it once, but NeoGAF generally shot down the idea after Capcom USA staff said it was being done internally in Japan. I didn't go "under the radar", it was assumed disproven.

Umm good point, i didn't know that.

Mr Jared

You know, I used to be one of the bitter Street Fighter IV trolls.. crying and whining about every tiny, insignificant morsel of new information about it, funny photoshops and everything.

And then I played it. And kept playing it. And played it some more.

Now I look at these threads and they're just sort of cute. Dimps could possibly be doing Street Fighter IV grunt work? We care, why?

Dali

alkaline black said:
You know, I used to be one of the bitter Street Fighter IV trolls.. crying and whining about every tiny, insignificant morsel of new information about it, funny photoshops and everything.

Now I look at these threads and they're just sort of cute. Dimps could possibly be doing Street Fighter IV grunt work? We care, why?
Because my personal feelings on a developer are more important than what my eyes or first-hand accounts tell me about a game.

jarrod

Banned
I think the issue more is that Capcom USA said pretty directly the game was being done inhouse. Honestly, Ono seems to be whipping Dimps into shape and they're delivering an excellent game (see again the Artoon/YIDS comparison)... I'm less worried about the game at this point than I am amused at Capcom being Capcom (REUC from the RE4 tea.. uh... cavia!).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dali said:
Because my personal feelings on a developer are more important than what my eyes or first-hand accounts tell me about a game.
Most people concerned with this issue likely haven't played the game. Dimps isn't exactly known for powerhouse releases, however, and the company history is likely worrisome to those anticipating the game. It seems as if the game actually plays well, however.

R-User!

The-Switcher said:
Anyway, new boss screens!

sdiwoy.jpg

24lsd2t.jpg

f1mfd4.jpg

rt0r3k.jpg

Psycho Crusha! O_O

Askia47

Dali said:
Daigo Ikeno did some of the character art but if memory serves he wasn't the character designer.

I know that other artists tackled the designs before 3S, but who was the character designer of makoto, remy, chun li, and q, the new characters to third strike?

Dali

Askia47 said:
I know that other artists tackled the designs before 3S, but who was the character designer of makoto, remy, chun li, and q, the new characters to third strike?
I don't know, but it's not Daigo Ikeno. I've found lists of names, but I'm not sure what the exact involvement these people had. They are supposedly character designers though.

Hitoshi Nishio (T)
Ball Boy
Q
Yu‑Suke
Who
Toru Takaoka
G. Kamina
D‑Kurita
Shibaki
Tsuyoshi
Yoshioka
Chun
Norihide
Chimorin Shogun
Yuki Ishikawa
Syuucyan
Ken
Koki. K
Seiji Yano
Jun Ikawa
Otokonoyama

Geek

Ninny Prancer
jarrod said:
I think the issue more is that Capcom USA said pretty directly the game was being done inhouse. Honestly, Ono seems to be whipping Dimps into shape and they're delivering an excellent game (see again the Artoon/YIDS comparison)... I'm less worried about the game at this point than I am amused at Capcom being Capcom (REUC from the RE4 tea.. uh... cavia!).
I don't know their exact wording, but given the unnecessary overreaction of the community to revelations that publishers are farming out development--in Capcom's case on SFIV, Dead Rising 2, Bionic Commando, et al--I wouldn't be surprised if they carefully noted that the game was being "produced" in house. Ironically enough, it seems that the visual design, something that's more likely to be done internally at Capcom is what people seem to be the most sore about. Gameplay-wise, as Jared already wrote, it plays fantastic for someone at his skill level *and* mine.

D.Lo

What exactly is Daigo Ikeno supposed to be designing? All the new characters are so generic its like they've yet to be designed (except Viper, who's pretty much just Iori crossed with Mature with some of Terry's moves), and the old characters are exactly the same as they were in 1991. Except that their arms, faces and thumbs look like condoms full of walnuts.

Probabaly can't blame the artist when he's told to make Sagat look exactly like he did 20 years ago.

The-Switcher said:
My opinion is better then yours.
Got it.

alkaline black said:

Sadly, this....one of the only real posts worth reading, will most probably be ignored by those who find that fighter's destiny box funny.

Like Devil Trigger said: "sad"

Askia47

Dali said:
I don't know, but it's not Daigo Ikeno. I've found lists of names, but I'm not sure what the exact involvement these people had. They are supposedly character designers though.

Hitoshi Nishio (T)
Ball Boy
Q
Yu‑Suke
Who
Toru Takaoka
G. Kamina
D‑Kurita
Shibaki
Tsuyoshi
Yoshioka
Chun
Norihide
Chimorin Shogun
Yuki Ishikawa
Syuucyan
Ken
Koki. K
Seiji Yano
Jun Ikawa
Otokonoyama

Damn, quite alot of people. Well Hopefully daigo can still make good characters for 4. Or maybe capcom could bring in more influences to the development.

kazuo

jarrod said:

I have lost a large amount of faith in Street Fighter IV.

Discussion over!

Xabora said:
If you've read any info they put out they said their SF IP ws being handled by Capcom US.

It's beind handled by Capcom USA, who is outsourcing the production of the game to DIMPS.

Either way, Capcom is Capcom and Capcom sucks for letting DIMPS make it. Ugh.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
more like Dumps

u r rite lol.

DIMPS and Ono together? Forget it, it's over lol. I'll just look forward to Super Turbo HD and hope the sales are insane enough to justify a port of Third Strike to XBLA/PSN.

The-Switcher said:
You mean the game that looks like a 2D painting?

wut

You're obviously talking about some game other than SFIV, cause SFIV does not look anything like a "2D painting."

"2D painting?"

Wow.

grandjedi6 said:
Remember who made Smash Bros Brawl? Anything is possible

That party game has always been developed by HAL from the get-go. Don't get things confused; the SFIV situation isn't even close to being the same thing.

Dachande said:
Amazing. It all makes sense to me now. No wonder it doesn't look any good and is just SF2 with 3D.

Bro, if it was just "SF2 with 3D" it'd probably be the best thing ever. Well, if it was "SF2 with 3D," played well (read: like Street Fighter and not like 3D fighters) and incorporated "modern" fighting game staples such as super bars, etc etc.

Lyte Edge said:
What about the Capcom people that are heading up the game, like Yoshinori Ono?

BitchTits said:
Rumble Fish was a pretty decent 2D fighter.

Sadly, this will probably go ignored by 90% of the people here.

1) Ono was behind CFE. I don't care if he inherited it as a disaster, it was still released under his watch and was still a disaster. He should have scrapped it, walked or begged to have it canned.

2) "Decent" is far from "good" or even "great," and neither is good enough for Street Fighter IV.

Snapshot King said:
Because sprites are a nightmare to create in HD (look at how long HD remix is taking) and a double nightmare for netcode.

SNK would like to have a word with you.

D.Lo said:
What exactly is Daigo Ikeno supposed to be designing? All the new characters are so generic its like they've yet to be designed (except Viper, who's pretty much just Iori crossed with Mature with some of Terry's moves), and the old characters are exactly the same as they were in 1991. Except that their arms, faces and thumbs look like condoms full of walnuts.

Probabaly can't blame the artist when he's told to make Sagat look exactly like he did 20 years ago.

Got it.

Sagat looks nothing like he did 20 years ago; they're using the Street Fighter II MOVIE / SF Zero juiced-up Sagat, not the lean Muay Thai TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER of SF2 fame.

Otherwise I agree, the new characters are derivative junk, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game and generally makes the whole thing unattractive.

alkaline black said:

Your (and others') playtest reports of SFIV gave me a glimmer of hope that the game wouldn't be a complete joke.

DIMPS has more or less destroyed what little hope I have left.

I haven't completely written it off yet; I will wait until I play it myself to do that. However, this new revelation and my previous distaste for the project has left me with almost no hope that it will be any good.

Damn long-ass reply lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
LiK said:
i'd rather wish Capcom would admit that the new SF artist sucks ass...

Do you work in games? I ask cause it doesn't sound like you have a clue how games are made.

Daigo has been doing TONS of concept for Capcom over the years and chances are many of your favorite SF pieces in the last 10 years were done by him. Hes also done some terrific concept for Onimusha, basically if you can get the Capcom Design Works, you can see exactly what his contributions have been, he rocks.

However, you cannot blame one person for the style of the visuals. In a company as big as Capcom that shit gets scrutinized to the nth degree and then some. You can be sure that whatever they make looks that way because of consensus from he art department and then all the way up to the executive producers and directors.

alkaline black said:

Game politics dude, its what NeoGaf loves the most!

KingJ2002

you guys do know dimps was founded by former SNK employees and they hired people who have worked in capcom for years... its not like these guys are fresh out of ITT tech or something

afaik it isnt uncommon for a company to outsource work on a title... nintendo did it for smash bros. brawl and mistwalker did it for blue dragon.Tthe quality of the game is not hurting from it seeing as how people who are testing the game are very satisfied with the results... and the art style is still one of a kind.

no need for the negativity... they do good work.

turk128

Router said:
Why did Boxer uppercut that poor sloth? :(

http://i32.tinypic.com/2h6zl9c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Heheheeh, poor cute sloth.

Also, WTF does Vega have muscles on his thumb?! Is he juicing like Bane?

Mr Jared

Raging Spaniard said:
Game politics dude, its what NeoGaf loves the most!

I know :( I actually looked at Dimps record again as the name slipped me ... and seriously, what is everyone's problem? They did the DBZ games which grew to be a pretty respectable franchise on the casual end of things, and the Rumblefish series was great. It's not like they made Tao Fang or something.

I just think its funny that while the quality of the game has risen dramatically (looks, plays better and is much faster than before), so has the number of haters. It's all just sort of baffling.

alkaline black said:
I know :( I actually looked at Dimps record again as the name slipped me ... and seriously, what is everyone's problem? They did the DBZ games which grew to be a pretty respectable franchise on the casual end of things, and the Rumblefish series was great. It's not like they made Tao Fang or something.

I just think its funny that while the quality of the game has risen dramatically (looks, plays and is much faster than before), so has the number of haters. It's all just sort of baffling.

Well retarded blind hate is just easier to do than actually following through with a game's development.

We're lazy like that.

Come on guys.

I don't believe it's a problem with the design / art work.

The problem is with the 3D interpretations of said art.

Sort of how SC4's art looks nothing like the game models. :\

The Take Out Bandit said:
Come on guys.

I don't believe it's a problem with the design / art work.

The problem is with the 3D interpretations of said art.

Sort of how SC4's art looks nothing like the game models. :\

Granted when it comes to the Soul Edge series, it has been relatively consistent with it's visual 3D modeling that Namco is known for in their fighters, it's really the 2D art shaping around and complimenting and influencing the series in terms of clothing styles then being too dependent on it. When a different modeling style is introduced, it really sticks out from what's established as it's 3D visual design, like that pointed bra anime chick.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Granted when it comes to the Soul Edge series, it has been relatively consistent with it's visual 3D modeling that Namco is known for in their fighters, it's really the 2D art shaping around and complimenting the series then the series being too dependent on it. When a different modeling style is introduced, it really sticks out from what's established as it's 3D visual design, like that pointed bra anime chick.

SHUT UP! That's Angol Moa's mom you're talking bad about! :mad:

And if SC actually looked like the art. . . my little friend would fall off.

Top Bottom