• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata addresses region-locking at Nintendo investor Q&A

TheMoon

Surely you know what this poster meant, BTW? I find these responses so annoying. When people on here refer to a proper account system, they mean one that they can associate and disassociate from a console themselves and reattach to another system to download all their purchases themselves. Without needing to contact/beg/plead with Nintendo. Without having to have two of the systems present to do a system transfer. Basically, without any bullshit. Like most other digitally-present companies at the moment.

Nintendo apologists. Annoy the heck out of me. BTW.

If that's what they meant, why isn't it what they said? Simple as that. Just pointing out the facts there. Nothing to argue about really. No need for a fuss.

RMI

Banned
While I don't expect it's going to happen this gen, I'm looking forward to not having to buy a japanese version of whatever the 3DS's successor is. Please make it so, Nintendo.

Valnen

In a world with internet shopping, "regions" should be irrelevant when it comes to purchasing and consuming...anything, honestly. Region locking should have stopped existing years ago.

Kriken

Okay, there's acknowledgement, as others have said "baby steps" I'm not holding my breath for their next gen to be region free, but there's certainly a chance

SoldnerKei

well, it's something... hopefully their next console is region free and has backward compatibility, that would be the only way to play Fatal Frame V as of now :c

jblank83

In a world with internet shopping, "regions" should be irrelevant when it comes to purchasing and consuming...anything, honestly. Region locking should have stopped existing years ago.

Valve recently region locked almost everything because people in Western countries were buying newly released $60 games for $10 from Russian traders.

Until all regions of the world are equally prosperous, there will be disparities in prices which complicate business concerns.

Surely you know what this poster meant, BTW? I find these responses so annoying. When people on here refer to a proper account system, they mean one that they can associate and disassociate from a console themselves and reattach to another system to download all their purchases themselves. Without needing to contact/beg/plead with Nintendo. Without having to have two of the systems present to do a system transfer. Basically, without any bullshit. Like most other digitally-present companies at the moment.

Nintendo apologists. Annoy the heck out of me. BTW.

If they know what they mean then they should just say it. If not, then they're going to keep getting called out on being wrong

Mael

Well they are and are not really.
Let's take Amazon.
Their US site will cover the us and their fr cover France/Europe (as far as shipping goes).
Some items can be shipped indiscriminately while other simply don't.
I still had to enter my payment info twice while the shipping info was still unique....and the handle/user login is also unique.
It's better to make what makes sense.
Digital content being locked to a region sort of make sense, since even if you're traveling you system can still connect to the region server.
For physical good? no reason at all.
Like at all, what will your customer do if he find himself on the other side of the Earth for an extended period?
You lose their money while they spend elsewhere because they can't use their stuffs anymore?
Nintendo is global and worked globally before.
There was a point in making console region locked since there was also the problem with tvs being different size and everything(NTSC/PAL/SECAM/50hz/60hz), as far as customers were concerned there might have been a safety issue or something to prevent it from being possible (not saying it was but that's explanation that doesn't look total BS at 1rst glance).
On handheld, the screen is always the same and there's no issue of power being any different, it just works.
The only reason it's not working is because they're being massive dicks.

Berg

do it nintendo!
ios-5-camera-unlock-button.jpg

obviously not as easy as that, like a lot of people are claiming.

SerTapTap

* looks at current consoles owned in apartment *

* sees Wii U and 360 *

The 360 is NINE years old. region locking is effectively dead in the modern home console market, the only remnants being Nintendo and ancient hardware. VIta isn't region locked either, and hilariously the DS wasn't. All that remains is Nintendo dragging their feet

But honest question: why were their handheld system region-free up until the 3DS (or DSi games), whereas all of their home consoles have always been region-locked?

I always assumed it was because it was portable and could be taken on trips so when in another country you could buy game boy games there and still play them. Though I probably just pulled that out of my ass there.

rpmurphy

The 360 is NINE years old. region locking is effectively dead in the modern home console market, the only remnants being Nintendo and ancient hardware. VIta isn't region locked either, and hilariously the DS wasn't. All that remains is Nintendo dragging their feet
It is funny though, Microsoft introduced region-locking to 1.3 billion consumers with the Xbox One:
China

There's probably legal crap they gotta change with their current consoles if they wanna go region free, hopefully next gen will be region free since day 1.

The problems that Iwata refers to are most likely business-related, like contracts with third-party publishers, retailers, and whatnot. It's rather easy to remove the lock if you didn't have those to worry about.

Wow congrats Cheesemeister because I really believe that you partly made this happen, that is fantastic news and I really hope that Nintendo is seriously considering this for their future hardware.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If they n3DS successor were region-free, I would get these 2 games in a heartbeat:

sega-3d-classics-collection.jpg

cover_large.jpg

cHinzo

If they n3DS successor were region-free, I would get these 2 games in a heartbeat:

cover_large.jpg

Oh god E.X. Troopers. ;__; I waited so long for that game only to hear from Capcom that it aint gonna leave Japan. It looked really fun and co-op- would be great. I miss the days of the DS where there was no region-lock. Some games like Tales of Innocence and Soma Bringer were really awesome.

also

Banned
This is such a non answer and Nintendo showing they are still stuck in the past.
If that's what they meant, why isn't it what they said? Simple as that. Just pointing out the facts there. Nothing to argue about really. No need for a fuss.

If they know what they mean then they should just say it. If not, then they're going to keep getting called out on being wrong
When people hear account system on a video game console they think of something along the lines of Sony's and MS''s implementation and not the horribly implemented NNID/eShop accounts.
So by saying Nintendo has an account system you are actually spreading more misinformation and potentially screwing over uninformed buyers.

Realyn

What problems come with making their consoles region-free? I don't understand, someone explain.
What? Quite obviously less money. Can't blame Nintendo for thaz. Go into the CoD thread and people will discuss buying it from a hong kong store.

cireza

Everyone did a fine job being able to reach Iwata with this issue. Hope it means good things for the future.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sony should keep their trap shut after Persona 4 Arena and Joysound Drive on the so called region free PS3. There were also region locked demos in the PSN store. And then there is the nightmare with DLC purchases. Some is region locked. Some isn't. Some is even version locked. Some other isn't. It's a nightmare.

They are also not releasing 1 multilingual European version of their games (that's what Nintendo is doing for ages), but instead release multiple to effectively force people to not import from UK. Uncharted 2+3 bought in UK is English only.

In case Nintendo goes region free with their home console, I really hope that they won't create such a mess with DLC and instead do it properly, so that I can buy for example an Asian copy and then buy the DLC in Europe.
Did Sony ever say officially that the PS3 is region free? PS3 was never region free indeed. It was effectively 99% region free, but on a technical scale, it never was.

They did release multilanguage games as well by the way. I remember getting another language in Resistance 2 when i changed my OS language.

Iwata said:
games that have made use of licensed content that did not apply globally

Oh, that actually makes some sense, I never thought of that before.

Not that it makes sense for licensed content NOT to apply globally, it's stupid to have like...7-Up items in Japanese Animal Crossing that HEAVEN FORBID would be available elsewhere. Or Pizza Hut items in Phantasy Star. Or even Mega Man licensed for Smash (thankfully not region limited).

But that, as a legal issue, makes sense as to why specific games might have to be region locked.

The solution is the console manufacturer saying, too bad, if you want to release a game on our system then you have to realize that everyone around the world can import it, so if you don't want Americans seeing Japanese 7-Up stuff then feel free to forget about the promo.

jwhit28

This is such a non answer and Nintendo showing they are still stuck in the past.

When people hear account system on a video game console they think of something along the lines of Sony's and MS''s implementation and not the horribly implemented NNID/eShop accounts.
So by saying Nintendo has an account system you are actually spreading more misinformation and potentially screwing over uninformed buyers.

It's not misinformation. Nintendo has an account system, it's just heavily tied to the hardware. You can transfer your content from 1 Wii U or 1 3DS to another without any contact with customer support.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...o-transfer-content-between-two-wii-u-consoles

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ntent-between-two-nintendo-3ds-family-systems

TheMoon

also

Banned
It's not misinformation. Nintendo has an account system, it's just heavily tied to the hardware. You can transfer your content from 1 Wii U or 1 3DS to another without any contact with customer support.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...o-transfer-content-between-two-wii-u-consoles

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ntent-between-two-nintendo-3ds-family-systems

And I'll tell you again that in 2014 an account system on a video game console means something way different than NNIDs/eShop accounts so it is misinformation.

And I'll tell you again that in 2014 an account system on a video game console means something way different than NNIDs/eShop accounts so it is misinformation.

In 2014 your arbitrary definition of an account system does not make the technical definition obsolete. It is not misinformation.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I always wish investor questions were a little more pointed in this sort of area so theres no wiggle room for Iwata.

Not just "you region lock" but "You region lock and none of your competitors region lock or have done so for almost a decade. Whats up with that?"

"Account system" just means "a system that manages individual user accounts."

Nintendo does currently have this in the form of NNIDs; their current system does not leave your hardware to keep track of all your purchases and account details entirely on-device. Your account information lives on Nintendo's servers. You can even make purchases with your account information without going through the hardware. So that Nintendo "has an account system" is not misinformation; none of this could be true without an account system.

What's missing, of course, is a way for users to have self-service access to common account management tasks like registering an account with a different device (a second device or a replacement device). It's also currently impossible to log in (even temporarily) on a friend's machine.

Top Bottom