• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Patch 1.1.1 Frame-Rate Analysis

Zedark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5vhikphzLg

Several key points:

- No resolution changes between the post- and pre-patch versions;
- No LOD changes between the two versions;
- Handheld mode completely locked after patch, improvement from pre-patch;
- Docked mode improved over pre-patch, significantly so in some areas (like
Kakariko Village
).

Please note that NXGamer does these analyses as a hobby project, so he does not have the ability to test the whole game for the analysis. There may be drops he could not trace down, for example, so his statements about no drops carry this caveat. Still, the results are pretty good I'd say.

Edit: NXGamer does not own the Wii U version, so no word about that version sadly. Maybe a mod could include in the title that it is Switch-only?

Caelus

The nocebo effect was strong in the initial thread (and so was placebo when one or two people claimed 1080p... lol) but this is good to hear.

I hope they keep the patches coming, crossing my fingers for a (stable) 1080p docked patch. It'd be a treat if they could pull it off.

Kind of funny that NX Gamer rarely covered anything related to "NX" while that was a thing. I think this is the first Nintendo post I've seen from them.
But yeah, the patch is good for something not teased in advanced. Helps with some random drops that felt like a lack of optimization rather than anything.
Some drops still exist but it's pretty good for a launch title of this scale.

LordKano

So you mean that all the competent and tech-expert from the other thread that were seeing downgrades are wrong ?

How surprising.

Damn to thing some people thought Nintendo wouldn't further optimize the game.

Although I will admit Nintendo are unpredictable lol.

LordKano

It's got a LONG ways to good. Don't think that just because the game is great, doesn't mean there aren't issues. The Switch can't handle this game at all.

Uh, the framerate issues are kinda rare now. The Switch is perfectly able to handle the game, with a few extra optimization.

It's got a LONG ways to good. Don't think that just because the game is great, doesn't mean there aren't issues. The Switch can't handle this game at all.
It runs at a pretty close to locked 30fps on handheld mode. Not sure "Switch can't handle this game at all" is accurate.
Especially since it's a launch title we're talking about.

opricnik

Banned
So you mean that all the competent and tech-expert from the other thread that were seeing downgrades are wrong ?

How surprising.
You cant make frame rate suddenly better without downing some graphical details,so yes downgrade is real but its subtitle enough you wont notice compared to frame

Zedark

It runs at a pretty close to locked 30fps on handheld mode. Not sure "Switch can't handle this game at all" is accurate.
Especially since it's a launch title we're talking about.

This dance is pretty funny to me. It seems that at every turn, people seem to forget that a launch title generally looks worse than a game that launches a few years in, and every time people are surprised when a Horizon or a God of War blows them away with their visuals.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This patch made me play the game on TV far more, it's right it's now more pleasing. Thanks Nintendo :)

It's got a LONG ways to good. Don't think that just because the game is great, doesn't mean there aren't issue.The Switch can't handle this game at all.

I mean yeah since its a quick port and wasn't built for the Switch.

Still doesn't mean it isn't one of the best games made or game of the generation because the consensus says so if look at metacritic.

The nocebo effect was strong in the initial thread (and so was placebo when one or two people claimed 1080p... lol) but this is good to hear.

I hope they keep the patches coming, crossing my fingers for a (stable) 1080p docked patch. It'd be a treat if they could pull it off.
I'll admit that I suffered the nocebo effect,lol. I guess with the frame rate improved stuff like pop in and blurriness stuck out more to me. Glad Nintendo has a handle on pure improvement patches without taking away anything graphically the game already had. Kudos to Nintendo for getting this out there quickly as this bodes well for future Nintendo games on Switch.

bomblord1

Banned

It now runs at a locked 30fps everywhere but about 2 spots in the entire 50+ hour game.

What do you consider good and what metric do you use to warrant "handling" it?

LordKano

They wont touch code in such a short time. It is probably downing some effects instead

Two months since it went gold/one month since the release isn't a short time when you're developping. Final Fantasy XV went from a technical mess to a playable game with the two months-delay it got.

Zedark

They wont touch code in such a short time. It is probably downing some effects instead

Receipts? This makes no sense at all. The game's been out for 4 weeks, why wouldn't they (keeping in mind that they will have been working on improving the game from its initial state since it went gold, so closer to 2 months of work)?

Vitet

Lol.

And how do you think graphical effects are tweaked, by deactivating them on a check box?

Of course you can touch code. From gold to now almost 2 months has passed.

On the Wii U version, based on my own experience, it feels a bit smoother but there are still still drops in target areas like near stables, and certain villages/forests.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I like NXgamer but I feel he was being too kind to the game pre patch. The first two areas were an embarrassment pre patch with constant drop spikes to 20fps around trees and shadows in the sunshine. I don't mind drops from 30fps to 25-29 but those spikes were extreme and negatively effected the experience.

Anyway good video and good to see confirmation of the massive framerate improvements which some people were claiming were a placebo lol!

The docked Switch version is now the definitive version of Breath of the Wild on native hardware :)

HardRojo

I hope they keep patching docked performance so that it becomes on par with undocked, as I rarely plan to use my Switch as a handheld.

I still noticed a few dips in undocked mode, but it was clearly an improvement. Hopefully we continue to get patches to improve performance even further.

Can't wait to see DF analysis as well.

Neoweee

You cant make frame rate suddenly better without downing some graphical details,so yes downgrade is real but its subtitle enough you wont notice compared to frame

Yes, you can!

There's underlying physics garbage that causes a bunch of the slowdown, like the Moblin ragdoll calculation.

What in the world? Of course it can. This further shows that.

You're wrong.

Charamiwa

Banned
He really should have tested the forest. You can't just say the handeld is almost locked and not try this obvious place. It still dips in a specific part.

Top Bottom