• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you check the bonewitch event did they do anything to fix it? (supprisingly bad changelogs from peole who have the new stuff, some even for days now)

Check your PMs. There does not appear to be a good "Here's what's changed!" that I can find so far. But that picture should answer your question.

maven

:O

I've watched a few videos on KD:M, and I have a question if anyone knows the answer to this. So after the settlement, hunting monsters and building up your character(s), can a new player jump in with a bare-bones character at any point in the game (prior to tackling a monster)? I ask because some family/friends might not jump in right away but if they see the game being played, they may want to create their own character and play from that point.

Think about it more like a settlement management game. Each game year you send characters out to hunt, but no player owns any particular character. As characters are killed, you replace them with the children produced by the settlement. If you run out of mooks it's game over.

So yes, it's easy for people to jump in and out of a campaign if there's room (you can also play solo if you want).

After putting some more thought into it, I'm not gonna back 7th Continent. Basically for the same reason another poster put on here, where I feel like I'm only REALLY inclined to get it because they are marketing it as if this will be your last chance to do so. It'll ship around the same time I'll be getting Rising Sun as well, and Kingdom Death should be at my door any day now. I think that ought to last me a good long while.

Also just wanted to say that I took someones advice on here regarding painting minis for the first time and ordered that Reaper How to Paint kit. Getting pretty excited to pain now after looking up a bunch of youtube tutorials.

Bii

You make bare-bones characters all the time. KDM is not the game to get attached to your character in. Survivors die very frequently, lots of times for no fault of your own.

The problem is not really related to the survivors. KD:M starts pretty simple on the prologue white lion hunt and early phases with very limited options and not that complicated interactions. Innovations unlock more options for you (you have more things to do with survival and more timing rules) your gear has more interactions and later prey and especially nemesis fights start to get complex with things to take into concideration. Of course if you want you can just play the prolugue hunt as one off separate and then throw them to the deep end.

Think about it more like a settlement management game. Each game year you send characters out to hunt, but no player owns any particular character. As characters are killed, you replace them with the children produced by the settlement. If you run out of mooks it's game over.

So yes, it's easy for people to jump in and out of a campaign if there's room (you can also play solo if you want).

Thanks for the replies. Okay, sounds like a lot of players end up losing their survivors and it's rather common. I thought since there were character sheets and minis, that maybe they would last throughout the campaign.

Blizzard

Banned
Even if I believed I would get my money back from reselling 7th Continent, I wouldn't personally want to deal with the hassle of shipping it to someone else.

I think any time something is advertised as "This is your one chance to get everything! And we just added something else! Don't you want to get it here, on your only chance to get it?" that it's a bit of a red flag / trap unless you're 100% sure you want the thing.

I agree, I mean 7th continent looks cool, just not cool to justify that kind of money, time and space investment. Plus I know Gloomhaven will keep me busy for a long time.

Karkador

Banned
If you're willing to drop $250 on a Kickstarter game, would you spend that on a OOP 'grail game' that has more time-tested appeal to it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm starting to second guess my pledge as well. The cost to "get it all" is just growing to be too much considering what the game is. How long do I have to back out? 2 days?

If you're willing to drop $250 on a Kickstarter game, would you spend that on a OOP 'grail game' that has more time-tested appeal to it?

I can't think of any OOP grail game that I care about at all >.>

Yeah what OOP game cost that much over even >$100? The only one I can think of off hand is if you wanna get a bunch of stuff for heroscape though that blurs the line on why it's expensive.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah what OOP game cost that much over even >$100? The only one I can think of off hand is if you wanna get a bunch of stuff for heroscape though that blurs the line on why it's expensive.
Gloomhaven is the only one for me that would be $100+. I paid far too much to get a sealed copy on eBay because I missed the first Kickstarter. I haven't regretted it, and I even backed the second printing, but I would certainly have saved money by getting it earlier.

EYEL1NER

Went to game night for the first time in a few weeks. I brushed up on the rules for Tortuga 1667, and brought it along with Secret Hitler, Formula D, and 7 Wonders. The four LDS guys that show up on Tuesdays didn't show though, so it was only two of us for a while. We played some Forbidden Stars, my first time playing it (I have a copy I received for BGG Secret Santa last year but the warp storms are dented up due to a box dent and I can't get replacements). Two people showed up once we were a third of the way through the game though, so we then broke out Galaxy Trucker. It was my first time trying that too, and I absolutely loved it. I now wanna pick up a copy of either the Anniversary Edition or the game + first expansion for myself. After that was a quick game of Castle Panic, that was also... my first time trying that.
Three games that were new to me, and I had fun with all three. Tonight was a winner for sure.

Gloomhaven is the only one for me that would be $100+. I paid far too much to get a sealed copy on eBay because I missed the first Kickstarter. I haven't regretted it, and I even backed the second printing, but I would certainly have saved money by getting it earlier.

Gloomhaven will probably fall into the same boat as 7th continent where there will be another ks due to more and more gamers wanting a copy.

Puerto Rico AE

That's a good one

Karkador

Banned

Glory to Rome Black Box and Key Market come to mind.

Actually, a lot of former grail games recently got reprints so the list of $100+ is currently shorter. However, that means you can get a few of them!

Edit: oh, and that fabulous Oink Games version of Modern Art (Stamps) that I'm never, ever getting

Even if I believed I would get my money back from reselling 7th Continent, I wouldn't personally want to deal with the hassle of shipping it to someone else.

I think any time something is advertised as "This is your one chance to get everything! And we just added something else! Don't you want to get it here, on your only chance to get it?" that it's a bit of a red flag / trap unless you're 100% sure you want the thing.

Well 7th Continent box is fairly small and easy to ship. Plus the game is all cards that are sorted already so even if you unpack and play it, there is very little change from the seal version of the game. If there are game that you back and want to sell later I would say 7th Continent would be easy. The box is pack full of cards but about the same size as Feast for Odin box. As for red flag, isn't most KS now catered to the crowd that want to have everything and need to have everything and must have the exclusive stuffs no one have. I was arguing with some guy on one of the Facebook group who was piss off that many game companies are doing 2nd run KS (like Gloomhaven and now 7th Continent) and now make his "exclusive" KS stuffs not special. If the game is popular enough someone will publish it again (if they can get the licensing).

Had to stop that review, it was like a bad copy of SUSD

Ha ha, I used to not care for them but they are actually really good reviewers and the guy is actually very funny. And for what it's worth, I like Shut Up and Sit Down but I don't think their contents are always great like you guys make them out to be.

The hardcover book/lore/manual with KD:M is fucking amazing. Like, just gorgeous on all levels.

I can't wait to get it. I forgot to fill out the survey last week.

LEgends of sleepy hallow just launched

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dicehateme/legends-of-sleepy-hollow?ref=discovery

and backed.

it's from GreaterThanGames and designed by Ben Pinchback & Matt Riddle (Fleet, Wasteland Express Delivery Service), and illustrated by Hugo award-winning artist Abigail Larson, with Colin Chan and Ksenia Svincova.

The Legends of Sleepy Hollow is an adventure game for 1 to 4 players featuring cooperative tactical missions and some "legacy" elements.

I keep saying Spirit Island is awesome. Probably one of the best solo / coop game with easy to learn rule (and that is not Gloomhaven. I know folks here don't care for Greater Than Games but I think their recent stuffs are pretty nice.

That looks hideous. That's award winning art?

You guys are really brutal. : /

zulux21

I keep saying Spirit Island is awesome. Probably one of the best solo / coop game with easy to learn rule (and that is not Gloomhaven. I know folks here don't care for Greater Than Games but I think their recent stuffs are pretty nice.

spirit island made this one an instant buy for me. could it turn out poorly, sure, but I have enjoyed most of what they have put out, and the game itself sounds up my ally.

Puerto Rico AE

but I would rather play race for the galaxy :p

Another game club to meet tonight. My social anxiety gave me hell these last three days but I'm pumped up.
Seems like there are more members and they look to be into more complex boardgames. Not that the other one was all party games but I get a feeling I will be more interested in this one.

Now I could also try some Friday Night Magic (really terrified by what I fear is a veteran crowd but hey, some pics featured children, nice) but this game club is also meeting on Fridays. Decisions, decisions...

So meet ups on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays. And then next week is horror games week with plenty of special events. Oh fuck, I forgot that Paper Tales is promoted in a game café on Thursday I think. This town is chock full of gaming events.
I hope I will be able to bury my social anxiety and spit on its grave soon.

And as an added bonus, membership in these clubs give access to a nice 10% discount in the best store in town, making internet pricing less advantageous.
Pumped.

Now if I could return back home at 00:00-01:00 without having to take the tram and fear for my life, everything would be perfect.

I think it's really cool that you are trying all this stuff out even with your anxiety, man. If you are interested in Friday Night Magic, just give it a go. If it turns out to be too intense for you, drop out after a round or two.

You are pretty lucky to have a town full of gaming events like that. My local game scene used to be a little bit more diverse, but out of the 3 local game stores only one remains and they OVERcharge. Literally everything is at LEAST $5.00 over the suggested retail price, if not more. And these are all in print games, nothing crazy. They've got a board game meet up on Tuesday nights, all the other nights are usually Magic or sometimes Yu Gi Oh? But the prices of things kind of turn me off from going there. So that you get 10% the pricing is pretty sweet. I go into NYC once or twice a week, I gotta start looking for local game shops there. Probably be a bigger selection and better prices than what I get in my town.

Also, wow Paper Tales! When I started looking into drafting games a few days back (maybe a week now?) I stumbled upon that game and it looks like exactly what I want, but seems like it isn't going to be published in the US. There is a site that is offering to pick some up from Essen, but it'll be $54 before shipping, and I'm just not sure if that game warrants that price, as cool as it seems. You gotta try it out and let me know what you think!

I agree, I mean 7th continent looks cool, just not cool to justify that kind of money, time and space investment. Plus I know Gloomhaven will keep me busy for a long time.

I would compare it to say buying the sunless sea on steam or even picking up Robinson Crusoe. I doubt you will get $250+ more enjoyment out of 7th continent.

Kingdom Death Monster? I wouldn't buy that either, but at least I get that it offers something you are unlikely going to reproduce elsewhere, if not for the physical miniatures alone.

I would compare it to say buying the sunless sea on steam or even picking up Robinson Crusoe. I doubt you will get $250+ more enjoyment out of 7th continent.

Kingdom Death Monster? I wouldn't buy that either, but at least I get that it offers something you are unlikely going to reproduce elsewhere, if not for the physical miniatures alone.
I don't know if you can reproduce 7th Continent it is actually pretty cool and unique what they were able to put together just using cards. Also the game itself is only $80, if you want to compare to Robinson (which is nothing like 7th Continent) using the crazy people all in price point then it would be like getting Robinson plus all the expansions current and future plus promo and upgrade kits.

Li Kao

Oh bummer, I guess it was bound to happen but I got my first bad club experience. And with my luck it's the one that takes place two times a week and upon which I really counted to help me socialize.
Basically the precedent meet up with a bunch of friendly people and games a little to light for my taste ? It's the fucking reverse.

3h+ of Marco Polo with a man who I would personally forbid from explaining any rules ever. That's one thing but the real stinker was in the mood: now maybe I got biased early and this taint my view but I really felt like I could certainly be there, but welcome ? No.
So a majority of members who upon entering greeted us noobs (3 new members yesterday) and fucking immediately got in the back of the room to talk with their friends. Regulars banters from people passing upon our table asking how on earth could we still be on our first game. The bad rule explainer that go to his friends next table to brag about how we left him the big bad power card. And another member who passing by lowly told the guy that he was gonna destroy us.
I felt two things. One, I was outta my league with engineers and what not that live and breath brainy games. Two, like I said, we were allowed there, welcome was another story.

Really torn about going back on Friday. I need that club to have two meet-ups a week and kill this fucking social anxiety, but I really can't tell how I will feel if I'm the only newbie there and they continue their little brainy elite act.

pic2461346.png

So Marco Polo ? I don't know, they got ME to dislike a worker placement game, something was clearly not right. I should give the game another go because if I try to get the thing out of the context it wasn't that bad. But for this first play, I was totally in the newbie vicious circle where you never have what you need to do what you want, so it was not very pleasant. But with human beings I could certainly see it in a better light.

zulux21

but at least with 7th continent it seems like you actually get a fundamentally sound game.

where theme aside for KDM the mechanics of the game are very poorly balanced, and while has plenty of fun to be had, there is also plenty of stupid to be had.

that being said I haven't played with the 2.0 rules yet, and ideally those bring more balance to stuff.

the game has way to many roll a die... if you roll high you are fine if you roll low everything goes wrong moments.

I don't mind hard games, but in general it has to be a hard that you feel like you have some control over, not just random die roll dick overs, those aren't enjoyable.

also, I would vastly prefer if I could get KDM without the miniatures :p then it could be a reasonable price to buy for the quality of game, as miniature value adds pretty much nothing to a game for me. and if I could get it at a cheaper price then I could work on figuring out how to make KDM an actual good game, instead of a game with good ideas and riddled with bad ones. (again 2.0 might have helped this, I haven't seen those rules yet)

Instead I am not motivated to do that with my friend's copy :p

though it should be stated, everyone sees different value and worth in games. :p

but at least with 7th continent it seems like you actually get a fundamentally sound game.

Oh I'm not saying KDM is a good game, I'm sure I would hate it. But I feel if you like spending seven hours and then rolling a 3 and losing while looking at some boobs it'll scratch that itch.

7th continent feels much more like an experience you could get in many other shorter and cheaper story based games. Could be dead wrong, but I don't want to be wrong because then I'd spend a whole heap of money on it.

zulux21

Oh I'm not saying KDM is a good game, I'm sure I would hate it. But I feel if you like spending seven hours and then rolling a 3 and losing while looking at some boobs it'll scratch that itch.

7th continent feels much more like an experience you could get in many other shorter and cheaper story based games. Could be dead wrong, but I don't want to be wrong because then I'd spend a whole heap of money on it.

fair enough lol.

as of KDM it's a game I really want to like, but in the end only find okay. which since my friend is the one that invested well like $1000 now because i think he did a full pledge both times... that is fine, but i likely would have attempted to sell it if I owned it lol.

the main reason i backed 7th is because I enjoy the story based games, and it seems to offer stuff I can't get from the games I already own. and that is the size and scope of the story. Given for games that play longer than say 90 minutes I am strictly co op (less than that I play plenty of competitive but I am fine never playing a competitive game that takes more than 90 minutes again in my life) I don't have much in the way of choices when it comes to just grabbing a game and dedicating a day to it. so this seemed like a fun adventure.

that being said I am working on selling this war of mine, because I just couldn't see myself pulling that one out and making a day of it lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My (very) limited time with KD:M (pre-KS and now) would say that there's a lot more to it than I think meets the eye. Yes, you can randomly die from a 1 or a random ass event. But you can also build your characters to be able to mitigate a LOT of shit. You will of course lose survivors all the time, but I think the fun of KD:M as a game is a lot like how you would build a specific deck for a LOTR:LCG Nightmare Scenario.

Having said that, I spent some time reading more into 7th Continent. I'll be dropping my pledge. I'd be mad at myself for not going "all in", but I just have no monetary desire to do that.

Llyranor

Gloomhaven will probably fall into the same boat as 7th continent where there will be another ks due to more and more gamers wanting a copy.
The Gloomhaven dev has said on record there won't be a KS 3rd printing (but never say never!). He will let retail distribution take care of further demand (less profitable, but much less work required on his part)

Oh bummer, I guess it was bound to happen but I got my first bad club experience. And with my luck it's the one that takes place two times a week and upon which I really counted to help me socialize.
Basically the precedent meet up with a bunch of friendly people and games a little to light for my taste ? It's the fucking reverse.
Don't let this experience sour your progress. Boardgames are only as fun as the people you play with. Unfortunately some people are just obnoxious or annoying or just not fun. But that's fine, plentu of people are fun to play with, as you yourself have experienced in your past sessions. Keep it up!

spirit island made this one an instant buy for me. could it turn out poorly, sure, but I have enjoyed most of what they have put out, and the game itself sounds up my ally.
First time I hear about Spirit Island, but the premise sounds interesting and it's well-rated. Looks like it's getting a reprint too in december or later! Will definitely have to look into this more.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How are the mechanics in KD:M poorly balanced? If you didn't lose survivors, your settlement would be entirely too powerful. The death by dice roll is actually a balancing mechanic in itself. This is besides the excellent settlement and showdown mechanics.

Also as I understand it, 7th Continent is hardly story driven. It is a game that is largely about exploration.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There is nothing excellent about KD:M mechanics.

You seem to hate on KD:M harder than most games. Is there a reason?

Spending time reading strategy discussions, I feel like the game is FULL of ways to deal with the "overly difficult" boss fights. Is it the price tag that bothers you? Or is it the fandom? The art? I'm genuinely curious, because there are a lot of games I hate (Munchkin for one), but I don't think my hate for a game necessarily means it's a poorly made/designed/thought out game.

3h+ of Marco Polo ...

I have two thoughts:
- Marco Polo is one of those fiddly games where you need to understand where points come from, because there's only five turns in the game. It sucks that you had a bad rules teacher because I think it's a really creative game. In fact, I played my 2nd ever game last night and won! Both times I was taught well, but I absolutely bombed my first game because I knew what to do, but I had no idea what I was doing.

- As for the group, I'd still go a few more times until you determine that over 50% of that group is utter trash to play with. There probably are good people there and hopefully you can latch onto them and stay away from the bad people. Go back, identify the people you'd not want to ever play with, and stay away from them. If there's a game open with one or more of them, move onto the next one. One bad experience shouldn't sour you on the meetup. I'm sure there were nice people even in the game you just played!

Cause the game comes up constantly in here for some reason?
Still, other have argumented their take on the game, it would be nice of you to do the same, or avoid just doing one liner of questionable value :)
I for one am kind of intrigued by the game..

As for 7th continent..
I planned to go for 150.. then 170..
Now.. I want it, I can afford it, but I'm a bit debated on spending 250 usd (plus two damn shipping rate.. for that price, they might as well throw in free of charge delivery ....) on a single card game....

Still, other have argumented their take on the game, it would be nice of you to do the same, or avoid just doing one liner of questionable value :)
I for one am kind of intrigued by the game...

But what's your main gripe with it? I'm genuinely curious.

Have talked of it quite a bit over the years, I dont really hate it, but I dont think it's good either. Just one of the most overrated products, that I feel is completely based on it's production values, and not the quality of the game itself.

It's a bloated rule set, with expansions showing how bloated things are with the amount of materials and rules needed to add just a couple things to the game. Combat and everything is super fiddly, tons of recordkeeping and really it's just a giant sandbox like experience, which also causes lot of wonky balancing issues. It's like Shadows of Brimestone, where they pumped it so full of content, but clearly balance is not a concern as it's so full of RNG aspects. The amount of RNG just makes things annoying, and people say it's part of the game. It's the Dark Souls type of design logic, where bad design is forgiven as "it's part of the game", the random difficulty spikes. The amount of rules is just ridiculous, again it's bloated the amount of rules involved in this, and everything feels like it could be streamlined, instead they seem to just add more rules on top of each other for everything. It's such a kickstarter project, just tons of pretty, fancy presentation, it's all expensive flash along with the whole "only can get it via KS" just also sits poorly. It's overproduced for the sake of prompting it's exclusivity and pushing it's high price.

zulux21

How are the mechanics in KD:M poorly balanced? If you didn't lose survivors, your settlement would be entirely too powerful. The death by dice roll is actually a balancing mechanic in itself. This is besides the excellent settlement and showdown mechanics.

Also as I understand it, 7th Continent is hardly story driven. It is a game that is largely about exploration.

the build up to deal with stronger bosses is entirely way to slow, or to be more exact the jump in power between bosses is crazy.
the settlement events are way to hit or miss, often actively punishing any success you have at building up a survivor. most based on single die rolls, with no way to control them.

the random nature is just far to punishing for my liking. a couple bad die rolls and you go from surviving decently to dead, while if you rolled the die higher you would be surviving quite well.

the idea of a die being a balancing mechanic is just stupid, as you shouldn't leave one hit KO mechanics as a balancing mechanic up to just random chance. Bonuses for some people if they get lucky and roll well sure, but in KDM there are way to many times where a single roll is make or break with no way to really influence it.

I am someone who often loves randomness in a game, but the use of it in kingdom death monster just rubs me completely the wrong away. there are so many better ways you could implement a challenging and interesting game instead of basically leaving it up to random chance, with average die rules typically leading towards your death no matter how well you plan things out.

there are a ton of great ideas in the game, and I love the idea of building up a settlement, with random events including mini bosses, as well as going on hunts to get resources to continue to build up. But hands down if I ever got my hands on a copy I would work on making a ton of changes to the game to make the mechanics feel more balanced. I would much prefer a game where you feel like you are building up, and only really suffer with a lot of bad luck, or if you make stupid mistakes. Not a game where you start to feel like you are building up, and then you roll a 1 on the event and take massive penalties, and then try to make more people early on just to roll a 1 and lose 2 more people. (yes I know there are ways to build that bit up to make it safer)

I am sure for you the game feel fine, and that is why you questioned why I said the balance was bad, but to me it was far from well polished mechanically.

and again, perhaps the 2.0 rules will help with a lot of my issues. The die as it is I think is very poorly done, but if you give a player a way to influence it a bit then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad.

that all being said, despite the flaws I still find KDM fairly enjoyable to play. it's fun to go hunting and earn stuff to make better gear ect. it's just the punishing random nature doesn't mesh well with the long term goals of building up a settlement. I imagine plenty of players like just being punished for rolling dice, but meh... I would rather just build up and take on stronger and stronger bosses. not spin my wheels because I rolled badly and be stuck with just the first two bosses.

aka I would rather play through a campaign, with the settlement dying as a possibility, but without random chance actively trying to make it reality.

okay, I have rambled a lot trying to get my thoughts across... doubt I did clearly though but i give up >.<:

zulux21

Ooh yeah! looks like Grimslingers 3rd Edition is up for pre-order on CSI :D Was going to get the original release, but wanted the updated revision.

The art direction is so damn good to boot (designer did game mechanics plus the art)

I should try my copy at some point (I have the second edition originally bought the first), but after repeatedly getting screwed by the company behind the game, I've gotten little motivation to try playing it and have no interest in buying stuff from the company down the line.

just will say, if you buy there games, i sincerely hope you get all the right materials, as it's a pain in the ass to get them to work with you in any decent way to get you the materials that are missing -_- (and even when they do they will send you a dented box that makes it hard to open and claim it must of happened in shipping, despite the fact they actually packed it decently and the outer box was in perfect condition)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have talked of it quite a bit over the years, I dont really hate it, but I dont think it's good either. Just one of the most overrated products, that I feel is completely based on it's production values, and not the quality of the game itself.

It's a bloated rule set, with expansions showing how bloated things are with the amount of materials and rules needed to add just a couple things to the game. Combat and everything is super fiddly, tons of recordkeeping and really it's just a giant sandbox like experience, which also causes lot of wonky balancing issues. It's like Shadows of Brimestone, where they pumped it so full of content, but clearly balance is not a concern as it's so full of RNG aspects. The amount of RNG just makes things annoying, and people say it's part of the game. It's the Dark Souls type of design logic, where bad design is forgiven as "it's part of the game", the random difficulty spikes. The amount of rules is just ridiculous, again it's bloated the amount of rules involved in this, and everything feels like it could be streamlined, instead they seem to just add more rules on top of each other for everything. It's such a kickstarter project, just tons of pretty, fancy presentation, it's all expensive flash along with the whole "only can get it via KS" just also sits poorly. It's overproduced for the sake of prompting it's exclusivity and pushing it's high price.

That's fair. I was merely curious about your aversion to it, and it seems like you've got your reasons. I just like to know why people don't like stuff as it lends itself to good discussion about game design and why people like/dislike certain types of games.

JSR_Cube

Dropped 7th Continent. I just don't know if it is something that my group will play an/or will work with my group. I was looking to do it solo but in the end, I think I will just wait. I'm in no rush to get it and it is still pricey.

I jumped on Downfall. I like area control and it sounds like the survival aspect of it as well.

Experien

I should try my copy at some point (I have the second edition originally bought the first), but after repeatedly getting screwed by the company behind the game, I've gotten little motivation to try playing it and have no interest in buying stuff from the company down the line.

just will say, if you buy there games, i sincerely hope you get all the right materials, as it's a pain in the ass to get them to work with you in any decent way to get you the materials that are missing -_- (and even when they do they will send you a dented box that makes it hard to open and claim it must of happened in shipping, despite the fact they actually packed it decently and the outer box was in perfect condition)

I backed Greenbrier's first game, Zpocalypse, and was disappointed by majority of it. Hearing that this game is already on 3rd edition and people having issues with the following editions makes me not want to care about the game. I was very intrigued by Grimslingers but 3rd edition already? Has the game even been out more than 2 years?

Dropped 7th Continent. I just don't know if it is something that my group will play an/or will work with my group. I was looking to do it solo but in the end, I think I will just wait. I'm in no rush to get it and it is still pricey.

I jumped on Downfall. I like area control and it sounds like the survival aspect of it as well.

Be ready to wait forever or more pricey. They said they won't be releasing it retail. So second hand prices will be more.

zulux21

I backed Greenbrier's first game, Zpocalypse, and was disappointed by majority of it. Hearing that this game is already on 3rd edition and people having issues with the following editions makes me not want to care about the game. I was very intrigued by Grimslingers but 3rd edition already? Has the game even been out more than 2 years?
in my case I preordered Grimslingers from CSI.

when I got it from them it was the first edition.
when I opened it they doubled one of the packs of cards and I was missing the other. this was like two weeks after I got the game.

when I contacted the company that made the game, they said they didn't have copies of the first edition anymore, that those were for the kickstarter backers, and offered me a 50% off coupon for the second edition from their store (which make it $5 more than I bought the version I had already from CSI)

I told them it was unacceptable, and ultimately got them to agree that if I shipped back my first edition, so that they could have extra cards in case someone else runs into an issue, such as who ever has a copy that had two packs of the other cards, that they would send me a 2nd edition.

which as I mentioned the 2nd edition they sent me was one that they clearly had damaged lying around their warehouse that they sent me instead of a good copy.

communication wise, the first response was pretty quick, but after I responded with what cards I was missing (aka a list of an entire deck) it took like two weeks for them to respond, and then when I said the coupon wouldn't work because I wasn't about to pay more than I had already paid to play their game, to get a second copy of their game just because they screwed up in manufacturing, it took them about another week before they agreed to the trade of games.

all in all it was a pain, and aside from opening up the second game to make sure the cards were all there (which I am pretty sure i did, it's been a while) I haven't really had motivation to touch the game even though it sounds interesting.

when I saw they were kickstarting a different game that looked interesting, I just hard passed on it lol.

JSR_Cube

Be ready to wait forever or more pricey. They said they won't be releasing it retail. So second hand prices will be more.

I know it is a risk but I don’t mind picking it up used and I am also willing to bet that there will be a bunch of people caught up in the hype that sell it off too in the future.. plus as it is a sort of completeable game, I think copies will be available eventually. In the end though, if I don’t get it for a reasonable price then I can pass. The Kickstarter with shipping is just too much for me.

Lyng

Had to stop that review, it was like a bad copy of SUSD

Indeed No Pun Included is terrible. And so is SUSD lately...After Matt got more involved their reviews got so inconsistent. The ones with quinns or Paul alone or just those two are still great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Indeed No Pun Included is terrible. And so is SUSD lately...After Matt got more involved their reviews got so inconsistent. The ones with quinns or Paul alone or just those two are still great.

Not to pile on too much but yeah NPI is definitely not my taste. Way too 'hey look we're wacky board-game geeks!' for me but I'm sure that appeals to some. I hadn't noticed the drop-off in SUSD but I haven't really been that interested in the games they've been reviewing recently for their videos. They just seem mostly really boring?

Faiz

GW board game license emerges at WizKids.

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizkids-announces-new-partnership-with-games-workshop/

I mean, ok? I have next to no opinion of WizKids as a board game maker. I know people like a few of their products but I also know there have been production issues as well. I'm sure someone will chime in with opinions based on actual experiences.

Release talks about dice building so I guess we are getting WH Dice Masters at some point? Seems more likely than a boxed Quarriors-based game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
WizKids sort of fucked the Mage Knight expansion they did (Tezla I think). Parts were not exactly the same size as the base game and other expansion, so you could totally tell when you had an expansion token/card/whatever about to surface.

Top Bottom