• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 13-19 | Throwing coins

FlyFaster

Which last site redesign? There have been so, so many. I stopped going there over a year ago.

lol, there is this too. They change that site more often then any other site I can think of on the internet.

also, The "Crag" is badass. Can't wait for the tourney. Feeling a little lazy atm, can someone post what international comp will be there?

Lmao Enzo sheds his true colors. Dat fanboyism...
The man is a self-professed Xbot. I respect the honesty. I wish I could mark people with comments. I'd go through the whole Xbox stream thread and mark every person with the "only on Xbox" avatar change.

UFGT9 trophies are rad, though I can't get too hype since I have no chance of getting one, haha. I'm going to my locals for a 6 hour practice session tonight.

Keits

Developer
Two of the trophies are given away in the raffles (Door raffle, free entry... and Fun and Games raffle, for people winning tickets in fun and games).

You do have a shot.

Azure J

I want to bet bipson dollars on this.

This post just made me extra sad that I'll miss the lion's share of stuff happening at ECT because of an impromptu trip to Connecticut to pick up my sister's stuff and carry it back to Brooklyn on Friday and my sister's college graduation ceremony on Sunday.

Feels bad man. I was there for Bipson Bank failing like it was 2008 during Chris G vs. Taxi too...

Edit: I really wanted to make a last second appearance at ECT too...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What is the most amount of money I can get for getting rid of this not opened copy of MK vs DC

Looks like they're trying to get a MK players vs Capcom players exhibition going in Injustice at ECT. That sounds cool except I think the MK team would kill everyone

Xevren

What is the most amount of money I can get for getting rid of this not opened copy of MK vs DC

Looks like they're trying to get a MK players vs Capcom players exhibition going in Injustice at ECT. That sounds cool except I think the MK team would kill everyone

Use it as a coaster. You should have to pay people to play that thing.

Heel

Somewhat on topic: Anyone update to the latest version of Twitch on iOS? If so, how is it? The release notes look awful.

-Top 300 channels only at high quality of service
-Removed search

why

Beckx

Somewhat on topic: Anyone update to the latest version of Twitch on iOS? If so, how is it? The release notes look awful.

-Removed search

why

LOL. Instead of fixing search they frickin' removed it. Classic.

It is the worst video app in existence. Nothing is worse than knowing someone is streaming and being unable to reach their stream. Well, maybe finding their stream and getting nothing but a black screen.

The man is a self-professed Xbot. I respect the honesty. I wish I could mark people with comments. I'd go through the whole Xbox stream thread and mark every person with the "only on Xbox" avatar change.

We have all been there. I loved my sega master system back in the day.

Best to just kick back and let them all have their fun.

-Removed search

why

Love it. Significant improvements by removing everything... And adding display ads.

At least this update still plays videos... If you want to watch one of the top LoL streams it'll be fine.

#somebodycompetewithtwitchplz

SmokeMaxX

Android app doesn't even have search. But at least we can watch on browser with Flash.

lololol Twitch app on Android is beyond a joke. Can't watch in browser because I have to watch it in app.

...can't watch it in app because most streams won't load and I get kicked back to the channel list.

El Sloth

Banned
Ustream or Youtube plz get your shit together and start being actual legitimate competitors to Twitch. And then release non-shit mobile apps.

pls

(Or some new startup please come and save us)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

UFGT9 trophies are rad, though I can't get too hype since I have no chance of getting one, haha. I'm going to my locals for a 6 hour practice session tonight.
Xbot has such a negative connotation! I just prefer most of Microsoft's major IPs over what the competition offers. Well, Halo, Forza and PGR mostly. Those just happen to be the two genres I care about most (maybe platformers, but outside of LBP that genre is kinda dead) and that MS does better too.

And the Xbox threads definitely have their fanboys too. It's almost like the inverse situation from the PS Meeting now with the lengths people will go for, and that's kinda weird. I find the idea of an MS fanboy kinda hard to conceptualize considering recent output, a shorter legacy and how they treat consumers but there are a select few I won't name that are going in HARD in those threads. This won't end until both are out and like 3 years into the gen. Dark times and bans are ahead of GAF.

-Removed search

why
Removed search? What the fuck?

You mean the app that won't even load who I'm following correctly won't even let me manually search for who I want to watch?

GG Twitch.

Ustream or Youtube plz get your shit together and start being actual legitimate competitors to Twitch. And then release non-shit mobile apps.

pls

(Or some new startup please come and save us)
In my experience the Ustream app has always been shitty, I think they've even had an app longer than Justin.tv and Twitch.tv had apps. YouTube streaming from mobile has been incredible for me. Pretty much perfect at a relatively high resolution, whereas even when I'm on my desktop for Twitch I can't go higher than 240p.

Malice215

The Twitch Android app is better than what it was. Previously it was atrocious, but now it's actually useable (for me at least), but with no search function, you can't watch most FG streams since they're not popular enough to appear in the channel list.

Also pools for ECT are up on their site. Let's speculate.

http://ecthrowdown.com/

Joule

Adding to this,

A-Cho's most recent Guilty Gear singles ranbat tournament. A lot of great matches here. My favourite being the Ain Ky ones. Woshige's Millia really showing his strengths and that new FB Secret Garden is seemingly strong. Really looking forward to GG at the Arc Revo Cup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zHuRftrIEY

and likewise for Melty Blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mspa07FehTY

Tizoc you should check the zero3japan channel if you haven't already since a-cho splits their footage between that and their GAMEacho channel.

Try Streamy on Android for Twitch streams: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nullc.android.streamy&hl=en

I have both the Twitch app and Streamy on my phone. If I know which stream I want to watch, I just go to Streamy and either type it in if I've never gone to it before or select it from my list of favorite/recent channels. If I don't know which stream I want to watch, I go to the Twitch app, check out the channel list until I find the name of whatever stream I'd like to see playing whatever game I want to watch, and then I exit Twitch, go to Streamy, and type in the stream name.

It's really stupid that I have to do all that, but this is the best way I've found for watching streams on my phone. Yep, Twitch kinda sucks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Twitch Android app is better than what it was. Previously it was atrocious, but now it's actually useable (for me at least), but with no search function, you can't watch most FG streams since they're not popular enough to appear in the channel list.

Also pools for ECT are up on their site. Let's speculate.

http://ecthrowdown.com/
Notable players in Marvel pools (bolded favourites to make it out):

Pool 1 - EG Justin Wong, OmniSythe, TA Predator, AG MCZ Felax
Pool 2 - MH RayRay, Vex
Pool 3 - TA Marvisto, RG MastaCJ, MH Alukard
Pool 4 - EG PR Balrog, BIFU Winrich
Pool 5 - VxG EMP Dieminion, ERGZ Sean Y
Pool 6 - Omen, josh99, VxG EMP Yipes
Pool 7 - BT MarlinPie, CJ Showstopper
Pool 8 - BIFU Insaynne, KaneBlueRiver
Pool 9 - AGE NYChris G
Pool 10 - TS Fooblat, AGE Knives, Oreo
Pool 11 - col. FChamp
Pool 12 - EG Floe, IGT Unkn0wn, MegamanSteve
Pool 13 - AGE FlashMetroid, EMP F-NEX RG K-Brad
Pool 14 - MH Flux, AG DemonHyo, TFA OMGitzAndre
Pool 15 - EG Ricky Ortiz, Flocker
Pool 16 - TA Moons, JRosa, Meep

I want to see Winrich vs. PR Rog most, and I'd put my money on Winrich.

I believe YouTube on iOS now allows you to watch live streams.
The app or the web app? I know you could do it from the web app for a while, but the actual app is so bad. McTube <3

Not much doing in SF4

Pool 1 - AGE|SnakeEyez, KBR
Pool 2 - Umm Henry Cen
Pool 3 - Zeus, WB Chris G
Pool 4 - EG JWonggg
Pool 5 - EG PR Balrog, AquaSilk
Pool 6 - FNEX.EMP.RG K-Brad EG Floe
Pool 7 - VXG.EMP NuckleDu
Pool 8 - col.fchamp
Pool 9 - EG Ricky Ortiz
Pool 10 - AGE|Flash, Rico Suave
Pool 11 - VXG.EMP Santhrax
Pool 12 - TA|Moons, Flocker
Pool 13 - RPD.MCZ.gridman
Pool 14 - BIFU | Spab Rog
Pool 15 - VXG.EMP Dieminion, AG Demon Hyo
Pool 16 - AGE|Vangief, Chris Fascinating Hu

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know it has always been a two day event but the OP put in the first post that ETC is only on Saturday.
It doesn't and it never did.

The first line for any event always has the start date and time and the bullet points note if the event continues to a later date; and in the case of ECT it does say "This event continues through Sunday."

Number of players per game look depressingly low with the exception of SF4 and Marvel as usual. Is Injustice at ECT? I'm curious to see how its numbers compare to the big two.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Number of players per game look depressingly low with the exception of SF4 and Marvel as usual. Is Injustice at ECT? I'm curious to see how the numbers compare to the big two.
I believe so.

First to 15 between KBR and Fooblat? Also, does LI Joe not stream anymore? He should announce all these. And I guess there are no high stakes matches.

Malice215

I know it has always been a two day event but the OP put in the first post that ECT is only on Saturday.

I think the OP should list the dates/duration of the special events. Maybe that would help.

Number of players per game look depressingly low with the exception of SF4 and Marvel as usual. Is Injustice at ECT? I'm curious to see how its numbers compare to the big two.

Injustice is there and had the 3rd most people who pre-registered last I heard from Joe. But in general alot of people for whatever reason refuse to pre-reg. I need to see what the numbers look like the day of before I panic.

What I'm really surprised about are the MK numbers. The east coast has always had the bigger numbers for MK, and now it's a side tournament. 2 years ago, they were running MK pools until 3 AM.

Well I don't play nor do I watch Injustice that much but I'm always curious to see if the new game has staying power and how big of a audience it has compared to SF4 and Marvel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think the OP should list the dates/duration of the special events. Maybe that would help.
It already does, read it again.

How popular do you guys expect Injustice to become?
I expect it to stabilize at a slightly higher number of regular entrants than MK because it's a better game in all respects and the gameplay isn't shit at it's core (outside of interactables and stage transitions; which should be banned eventually if they want to keep it as competitive as possible and not give one player an advantage upon start). The crossover appeal is greater, but over time, especially with us probably not seeing a lot of new big fighting games for some time and the transition to next gen, people are going to wean off of it and just focus on their main games.

It's height of popularity has already passed unless something interesting in the metagame develops that gets people talking.

Infinite

Notable players in Marvel pools (bolded favourites to make it out):

Pool 1 - EG Justin Wong, OmniSythe, TA Predator, AG MCZ Felax
Pool 2 - MH RayRay, Vex
Pool 3 - TA Marvisto, RG MastaCJ, MH Alukard
Pool 4 - EG PR Balrog, BIFU Winrich
Pool 5 - VxG EMP Dieminion, ERGZ Sean Y
Pool 6 - Omen, josh99, VxG EMP Yipes
Pool 7 - BT MarlinPie, CJ Showstopper
Pool 8 - BIFU Insaynne, KaneBlueRiver
Pool 9 - AGE NYChris G
Pool 10 - TS Fooblat, AGE Knives, Oreo
Pool 11 - col. FChamp
Pool 12 - EG Floe, IGT Unkn0wn, MegamanSteve
Pool 13 - AGE FlashMetroid, EMP F-NEX RG K-Brad
Pool 14 - MH Flux, AG DemonHyo, TFA OMGitzAndre
Pool 15 - EG Ricky Ortiz, Flocker
Pool 16 - TA Moons, JRosa, Meep

I want to see Winrich vs. PR Rog most, and I'd put my money on Winrich.

The app or the web app? I know you could do it from the web app for a while, but the actual app is so bad. McTube <3

Oreo vs Knives or Fooblat should be entertaining no matter the outcome(s)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oreo vs Knives or Fooblat should be entertaining no matter the outcome(s)
Yeah pool 10 is the hardest to call for sure. Next after that is 16. Also I probably should've bolded Dieminion.

EDIT: Injustice does 424k in April. I expected a lot more TBH, at least double this, wow. Explains the $35 dollar sale anyways. Also take into account this is the first 2 weeks of release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People are not buying videogames in general.
Bioshock just did 3.7 million, many fall releases last year did really good including the biggest selling Assassin's Creed ever and I'm sure GTAV will close out this gen with colossal sales.

GTA might be a special case, but the rest aren't.

That is not an actual sales figure, that's just an analyst estimate.
NPD data doesn't come out until Thursday.
Ah I see. So we know 250k minimum. Still, I wouldn't imagine it's too far from the rough estimate.

Top Bottom