• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2012

Super Mario Bros. has been updated for the Ambassadors, with Suspend Points and a new icon for the main screen; the one with the rotating NES.

You can't get at it through the Updates screen, for some reason; has to be through Titles You've Purchased.

Cool, it's up for the UK as well.

The new OS icon screen looks pretty cool with the NES and TV. I think they might even have updated the game as well - it seems that X now emulates the B button function but I can't remember if the original ambassador release had that as well.

NeoRausch

Super Mario Bros. has been updated for the Ambassadors, with Suspend Points and a new icon for the main screen; the one with the rotating NES.

You can't get at it through the Updates screen, for some reason; has to be through Titles You've Purchased.
Oh sweet! Gonna download it as soon as i'm home from work!

thanks for the info!

NeoRausch

Does the Super Mario Brothers update have the wireless multiplayer they mentioned?
Huh? What kind of site are you getting your infos from?

wireless multiplayer was never annunced. The unly update they bring to the virtual console games are the save state function. That's it

Boney

Banned
Huh? What kind of site are you getting your infos from?

wireless multiplayer was never annunced. The unly update they bring to the virtual console games are the save state function. That's it

nu uh, wireless multi is a feature they promised back in august

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So... Nintendo actually beat Square Enix to the punch and released the first Japanese eShop paid DLC yesterday.

Here are images of their first sets of Tobidasu PiraKura: KiraDeko Revolution paid content, and below you can see the DLC schedule for the month:

uxwGK.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix) DLC
    Final Fantasy II's "Battle Scene 1" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy IV's "The Final Battle" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy V's "Hikari wo Motomete" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy VII's "Cosmo Canyon" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy VIII's "Ride On" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy IX's "Fighters of the Crystal" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy X's "Someday the Dream Will End" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
    Final Fantasy XIII's "Fighting Fate" (¥150) Upcoming (02/16)
  • Tobidasu PuriKura: KiraDeko Revolution (Nintendo) DLC
    Mario Kart 7 Set (¥100) Latest release!
    Spring Trial Set (¥100) Latest release!
    Mario Basic Set (¥100) Latest release!

Chopper

Okay, so I just got all excited about the Mario Bros update. I went to "Available Updates" and the system claimed that there are no updates available. Fine.

But when I go into Downloaded titles, there is the Mario Bros update. Sweet, I thought.

But then, a whole load of other titles I've downloaded have updates too. Loads of them. Freaky Forms, Pullblox, even my Ambassador Certificate!

Is there any way of knowing what these updates do? And why the hell is the "Available Updates" function completely ignored in favour of manually scrolling through everything you've downloaded?!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does the Super Mario Brothers update have the wireless multiplayer they mentioned?

Each emulator is tailored specifically to each individual game, so as SMB doesn't feature two-player simultaneous play I doubt they bothered implementing wireless for that particular title.

GameE

I dont know where else to post this :S
Is there a way I can transfer everything that is on one SD card to another SD card? I want to put my 3DS photos, Spotpass stuff, apps, videos, etc from the 3DS onto a bigger card but something tells me I cant do this easily >_>

@MUWANdo

Banned
I dont know where else to post this :S
Is there a way I can transfer everything that is on one SD card to another SD card? I want to put my 3DS photos, Spotpass stuff, apps, videos, etc from the 3DS onto a bigger card but something tells me I cant do this easily >_>

No, don't worry, it's simple. Just drag/drop everything to your harddrive and then copy it over to a new card. You can't mix/match content that was saved to different SD cards, but you can directly copy the contents of one card to another without any hassle.

BowieZ

Banned
They're updating 'em one at a time, SMB is the only one with an update at the moment (probably because they're priming it for sale on the eShop).
Yeah but I checked my 'titles you've downloaded' and all the NES games had updates, and only the NES games. This was after updating everything available 2 weeks ago. So not sure what that was about.

NeoRausch

Okay, so I just got all excited about the Mario Bros update. I went to "Available Updates" and the system claimed that there are no updates available. Fine.

But when I go into Downloaded titles, there is the Mario Bros update. Sweet, I thought.

But then, a whole load of other titles I've downloaded have updates too. Loads of them. Freaky Forms, Pullblox, even my Ambassador Certificate!

Is there any way of knowing what these updates do? And why the hell is the "Available Updates" function completely ignored in favour of manually scrolling through everything you've downloaded?!
They are just minor bug-fix updates. Nothing important. Just put them on "sleep-mode"-update. No hassle, no hoff.

GameE

No, don't worry, it's simple. Just drag/drop everything to your harddrive and then copy it over to a new card. You can't mix/match content that was saved to different SD cards, but you can directly copy the contents of one card to another without any hassle.

Thank you!! I thought about doing that but I thought I'd break the SD card or the 3DS somehow.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah but I checked my 'titles you've downloaded' and all the NES games had updates, and only the NES games. This was after updating everything available 2 weeks ago. So not sure what that was about.

There have been a ton of updates for pretty much every first-party game on the eShop that don't seem to make any obvious difference, they've been rolling 'em out for months. I don't think anyone's worked out what they actually do.

The official NES Ambassador updates only started today, with SMB.

Morts

What are the odds of getting MGS GBC released in celebration of Snake Eater's release?!

This needs to happen. It won't, but hopefully it comes out soon. Did Konami ever put anything on the NES VC? The NES Metal Gears maybe?

Also it's heartbreaking that it looks like Super Mario Bros. is going up for sale on the eShop while we still have no word about Wii/3DS Virtual Console unification. I can't believe that this is going to be an issue so long after Sony did PS1 games transferable between PS3 and PSP.

Chopper

This needs to happen. It won't, but hopefully it comes out soon. Did Konami ever put anything on the NES VC? The NES Metal Gears maybe?

Also it's heartbreaking that it looks like Super Mario Bros. is going up for sale on the eShop while we still have no word about Wii/3DS Virtual Console unification. I can't believe that this is going to be an issue so long after Sony did PS1 games transferable between PS3 and PSP.
Is there anything stopping Konami?

Also, I think Wii/3DS VC unification might be wishful thinking. I don't understand how it would happen until Nintedo Network kicks in. Unless it used you Club Nintendo account? Would be a megaton at E3, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info, weird. But it still begs the question, why is there an "Available Updates" option if ot just goes unused...?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Maybe Kojima has some sort of complex about Ghost Babel like he does with the NES games and doesn't want 'em re-released.

I've noticed that Square-Enix haven't digitally released any of the old DQ games. Given that they milk the shit out of everything else they have I'm sure that's deliberate. Maybe it's the same with Konami and MGS.

Truth101

Banned
Maybe Kojima has some sort of complex about Ghost Babel like he does with the NES games and doesn't want 'em re-released.

I've noticed that Square-Enix haven't digitally released any of the old DQ games. Given that they milk the shit out of everything else they have I'm sure that's deliberate. Maybe it's the same with Konami and MGS.

DQ is their bread and butter in Japan. I feel releasing the older games on the VC would take away from the remakes more than other series.

Morts

Also no matter where I go on the NA eShop I have no option to update SMB. I've actually never had an update for any of the Ambassador games, unless they've been updating themselves stealthily.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
EDIT: It appears that "FADE" is VG Chartz, or at least VG Chartz-based data, and is thus essentially useless. Feel free to entirely ignore these numbers -- more info over here: 1, 2

Nintendolife has an article up -- some company named FADE LLC has "eShop 2011" sales estimates, although I'm puzzled as to what they are extrapolating this data from. In any event, FADE anaylists claim that the 3DS eShop sold $11,000,000 in software during 2011, and have a list of the "top 10" sellers.

I'm still puzzled how they could have gotten this information (given Nintendo's ninjas), and it IS listed as an estimate, so while I'm skeptical it is interesting to look at.

Estimated Top Selling Titles, by Gross Revenues (Annual, 2011)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) - 338,700 Units / $2.3 Million USD (VC)
2. 3D Classics: Excitebike (Nintendo) - 481,100 Units / $1.3 Million USD (eShop)
3. Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - 230,500 Units / $1.1 Million USD (VC)
4. Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! (Nintendo) - 112,700 Units / $969,000 USD (eShop)
5. Pushmo (Nintendo) - 93,300 Units / $634,000 USD (eShop)
6. Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo) - 84,500 Units / $384,000 USD (VC)
7. Let's Golf! 3D (Gameloft) - 43,200 Units / $356,000 USD (eShop)
8. Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - 82,800 Units / $348,000 USD (VC)
9. 3D Classics: Xevious (Nintendo) - 47,900 Units / $301,000 USD (eShop)
10. Hyu Stone (Poisoft) - 50,300 Units / $293,000 USD

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/analyst_claims_eshop_made_usd11_million_in_2011

Svafnir

Estimated Top Selling Titles, by Gross Revenues (Annual, 2011)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) - 338,700 Units / $2.3 Million USD (VC)
2. 3D Classics: Excitebike (Nintendo) - 481,100 Units / $1.3 Million USD (eShop)
3. Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - 230,500 Units / $1.1 Million USD (VC)
4. Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! (Nintendo) - 112,700 Units / $969,000 USD (eShop)
5. Pushmo (Nintendo) - 93,300 Units / $634,000 USD (eShop)
6. Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo) - 84,500 Units / $384,000 USD (VC)
7. Let's Golf! 3D (Gameloft) - 43,200 Units / $356,000 USD (eShop)
8. Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - 82,800 Units / $348,000 USD (VC)
9. 3D Classics: Xevious (Nintendo) - 47,900 Units / $301,000 USD (eShop)
10. Hyu Stone (Poisoft) - 50,300 Units / $293,000 USD

I'm oddly surprised The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is number one, if that list is accurate.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Somebody please make an 'I has estimates!' cat gif.

IrishNinja

cool to see one of the best zeldas take the # 1 spot, pushmo's great too!
Xevious being on that list though...feels like a store starved for content, sadly.

abasm

Nintendo has done a really fantastic job of pushing their own eShop titles--they usually lead with an eShop trailer, send out email/spotpass notifications on release, then follow up with an "Iwata Asks". The high bar of quality (despite the radical variance in look and theme) really helps, too.

The idea of "simple designs explored to their fullest" is something that we've sort of lost at the end of Game Boy Color era, but I feel like digital distribution is really opening that style of design back up again. This generation is really exciting!

Chuckpebble

Nope, well.. not at the moment at least.
Game Boy games (i.e. GB games made for the regular GB) can only be played in black and white or green. (either case with a GB-hardware border if you choose to play at the native resolution).

Game Boy Color games are the same, except only in color and with an option for the GB Color-hardware border.

Game Boy games enhanced with Super Game Boy colors; at the moment there's Kirby's Dreamland 2 an it can only be played like traditional Game Boy games (i.e. black and white or green).

Thanks for posting this. Haven't downloaded any GB games yet and my google-fu wasn't coming up with an answer to this question. I was gonna post the question here but fortunately I was taken right to the question and answer when I clicked the thread.

Anyway, I was hoping it would be a secret button combo while launching the game as it was originally. It really helped me with Metroid 2. Here's hoping its added at some point.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It appears that "FADE" is VG Chartz, or at least VG Chartz-based data, and is thus essentially useless. Feel free to entirely ignore these numbers -- more info over here: 1, 2

Top Bottom