• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Should have just asked, "will we get guild transfers?"

Maybe it would have been given to someone to answer who wasn't just a community manager lol

UltraMav

I really hope this game gets it's act togetter before it is too late tho.
Would be a shame to waste all that potential.

I think we've already passed "too late" by the looks of server pops over the past few weeks. Now we're in the aftermath attempting to pick up the pieces.

In the MMO world it's too late for SWTOR, the bad press for the game was hitting it hard before release and bioware dropped the ball afterwards in support. Right now they just have to fix what they have and try to create something that can keep a player base of sorts that will be dedicated, many though have written it off and like countless times in the past, even when MMOs would go and improve and fix almost everything, people just don't care and move on to newer games. 1.3 not being a content update is not good at all. Lot of players are not going to care about it and if they have to wait till 1.4 for any new game content, then I think they are going to lose lot more players. They will get a surge back for 1.3, but like with 1.2 things will go down in a few weeks after, especially without new content in the update. Game is going to be out for 6 months and we have had one real content update only, and one single event which was the same week as the content release. That is pathetic. Even some of the biggest MMO disasters have been able to put out new events/content faster than this. Even the games fans who enjoyed it have come to points where they feel like they are running out of stuff to do.

If they want the game to be huge again and bring in numbers, it will need to go f2p at some point or some major change to it's structure such as the ideas tossed around in giving game time with content packs...

Outside of weekly guild stuff, im on break from the game now and will be back when 1.3 hits and new content.

CzarTim

In the MMO world it's too late for SWTOR, the bad press for the game was hitting it hard before release and bioware dropped the ball afterwards in support. Right now they just have to fix what they have and try to create something that can keep a player base of sorts that will be dedicated, many though have written it off and like countless times in the past, even when MMOs would go and improve and fix almost everything, people just don't care and move on to newer games. 1.3 not being a content update is not good at all. Lot of players are not going to care about it and if they have to wait till 1.4 for any new game content, then I think they are going to lose lot more players. They will get a surge back for 1.3, but like with 1.2 things will go down in a few weeks after, especially without new content in the update. Game is going to be out for 6 months and we have had one real content update only, and one single event which was the same week as the content release. That is pathetic. Even some of the biggest MMO disasters have been able to put out new events/content faster than this. Even the games fans who enjoyed it have come to points where they feel like they are running out of stuff to do.

If they want the game to be huge again and bring in numbers, it will need to go f2p at some point or some major change to it's structure such as the ideas tossed around in giving game time with content packs...

Outside of weekly guild stuff, im on break from the game now and will be back when 1.3 hits and new content.
Yeah, fanboys turning on the game is a bad sign. What a shame. I don't think another MMO has had as much positional to be a big success since WoW. BW completely and utterly dropped the ball.

this has all ended much worse than expected. we stuck with SWG for years in a much more broken state than what SWTOR is.

its a shame. when they designed TOR people werent sick of WoW. BC had come out and people didnt know it would be a one way street for half a decade more of the exact same thing with new skins and small variables.
once TOR was in planning stages and it was too late they had already knitted themselves on a path to close.

virtual worlds. Virtual world is the big thing. and people cant cope anymore. its a shame because TOR is good. its super playable, has plenty of stuff. nobody should be dissatisfied. but its impossible not to be. the fee changes expectations. rework game completely.

Milly79

A lot of doom and gloom going around in here, and it's sad to see.

I can't say that I'm getting bored with the game anymore. Between raiding, pvp, maxing companions, crafting, leveling alts, gearing up alts, etc there is a shit load to keep me busy.

I played D3 when it released for about a week straight and dropped SWToR straight to the floor for the most part, but still, I came back. D3 is a game I know I can pick up and play whenever and will last for years whenever I get that itch.

The state of the game is pretty sucky at the moment, but hey, I'm content. I still raid and have people to chat with and quest with (I'm looking at your Azura :p).

Lowbie PVP is a hell of a lot of fun and the queues are popping like mad. It's sucks to hear that 50s is basically dead, but hopefully that changes if ranked ever comes out.

tl;dr: I'm having fun.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I can't say that I'm getting bored with the game anymore. Between raiding, pvp, maxing companions, crafting, leveling alts, gearing up alts, etc there is a shit load to keep me busy.

I played D3 when it released for about a week straight and dropped SWToR straight to the floor for the most part, but still, I came back. D3 is a game I know I can pick up and play whenever and will last for years whenever I get that itch.

The state of the game is pretty sucky at the moment, but hey, I'm content. I still raid and have people to chat with and quest with (I'm looking at your Azura :p).

Lowbie PVP is a hell of a lot of fun and the queues are popping like mad. It's sucks to hear that 50s is basically dead, but hopefully that changes if ranked ever comes out.

Despite playing every day I'm still really not bored. The server population is bringing me down though. My server isn't one of the worst but it's low enough that I really haven't been able to do any high level FPs or OPs in a few weeks. It didn't help that pretty much everyone in my guild that rushed to 50 in the first month or so has quit. We have a few still who are very casual and are just NOW getting there so we have a couple of weeks yet before we can try doing those things again.

I've been spending most of my time doing alts, dailies and PVPing but the population is such that if you end up against a couple of the Imperial pre-mades you can pretty much forget winning for that night because you'll likely be fighting the same group all night. I tend to PVP in the late afternoon for that reason where I find I have more success.

It doesn't look like these supposed mega servers are being launched with 1.3 so I'm not sure if the upcoming transfers are going to help my server or not. Allowing people to transfer to fresh servers would help with the legacy name thing because it would be first come first serve and everyone would have an equal opportunity to keep their names, instead of making you go to an existing server where someone might already have it.

this has all ended much worse than expected. we stuck with SWG for years in a much more broken state than what SWTOR is.

its a shame. when they designed TOR people werent sick of WoW. BC had come out and people didnt know it would be a one way street for half a decade more of the exact same thing with new skins and small variables.
once TOR was in planning stages and it was too late they had already knitted themselves on a path to close.

virtual worlds. Virtual world is the big thing. and people cant cope anymore. its a shame because TOR is good. its super playable, has plenty of stuff. nobody should be dissatisfied. but its impossible not to be. the fee changes expectations. rework game completely.

It has nothing to do with the "wow formula", but Bw's lack of support. If they had done the monthly updates and continual weekly patches as they were originally doing, folks would still be playing. But instead they have had one real game update in about six months? That's what's killed the player base. We shouldn't have to wait for a big content update for anything, they should be rolling out new features and content constantly even if a little at a time, and not nothing for 3-4 months. They had the players, they had good early press and responses from the media at launch, but not supporting the game?

The list of stuff that is "coming soon" is ridiculous seeing how long it takes them to do anything, with so many things told to us as in the works, is still not in nor previewed even? And now content we were supposed to get is being delayed for them to deal with the server population issues.

Alur

It's pretty much been doom and gloom in here from the start here on GAF, as far as I remember lol. People have been promising F2P since day one it seems like.

I'm with you, though. I still love the game. I'm on Fatman having fun til they do whatever they are gonna do, made it to 41 now so almost there. I like to PVP @ 50 too much to stomach those 15/30/45 minute queues and get continually stomped (or vice versa, either way it's unfair at this point). Once they decide and then release whatever they are gonna do, I'll move my guys accordingly with my friends and see what happens.

Draxal

It has nothing to do with the "wow formula", but Bw's lack of support. If they had done the monthly updates and continual weekly patches as they were originally doing, folks would still be playing. But instead they have had one real game update in about six months? That's what's killed the player base.

I do think copying Wow's formula for the end game hurt as Wow is struggling (no where to Old Republic's extent) and hasn't had major updates in a while as well. My friends did quit because once they got to end game it was pretty much like Wow's and they were dead tired of Wow's endgame.

Anyway, if I had to redo anything in the system, I would probably make all of the heroic quests 2 man, and have them give Tionese crystals, and probably convert some of the flashpoints to two man. I know alot of the heroic 4's are two mannable (some soloable), but I do think you can make the jump from soloing to flashpoint content a bit smoother. The whole jump from one to two to four to eight to sixteen in this game, just needs to be smoothened out a bit.

I've been spending most of my time doing alts, dailies and PVPing but the population is such that if you end up against a couple of the Imperial pre-mades you can pretty much forget winning for that night because you'll likely be fighting the same group all night. I tend to PVP in the late afternoon for that reason where I find I have more success.

On the sub 50 vs 50 pvp, I have to take the side of the sub 50 pvp is more fun, as in 50 gear disparity + premades is much more of a factor then sub 50 pvp.

Emitan

Decided to reroll as a Bounty Hunter on Fatman because FUCK I actually want to play this game with people. My starting planet has ~60 people on it when on Kellers it would have 3.

Milly79

It's pretty much been doom and gloom in here from the start here on GAF, as far as I remember lol. People have been promising F2P since day one it seems like.

I'm with you, though. I still love the game. I'm on Fatman having fun til they do whatever they are gonna do, made it to 41 now so almost there. I like to PVP @ 50 too much to stomach those 15/30/45 minute queues and get continually stomped (or vice versa, either way it's unfair at this point). Once they decide and then release whatever they are gonna do, I'll move my guys accordingly with my friends and see what happens.

Yeah, but not with the people in this thread for the most part. Not to this extent.

Never had the chance to formally apologize for all the shit went down with Empire GAF, so with that I say I'm sorry, Kruul.

CzarTim

It has nothing to do with the "wow formula", but Bw's lack of support. If they had done the monthly updates and continual weekly patches as they were originally doing, folks would still be playing. But instead they have had one real game update in about six months? That's what's killed the player base. We shouldn't have to wait for a big content update for anything, they should be rolling out new features and content constantly even if a little at a time, and not nothing for 3-4 months. They had the players, they had good early press and responses from the media at launch, but not supporting the game?

The list of stuff that is "coming soon" is ridiculous seeing how long it takes them to do anything, with so many things told to us as in the works, is still not in nor previewed even? And now content we were supposed to get is being delayed for them to deal with the server population issues.

Dead on. I really enjoy the game. I want to play it more than I do, but on KV the PVP queues don't pop except from 5-12 PM (and even still it can be a 20+ min wait easy.) Sorry, I don't want to re-roll on another server. I don't like alting, and it's not my fault there are no transfers. All this combined with slow updates makes me feel like this game SHOULD go FTP. What are we paying for exactly?

I was happy with the game until the Plague event ended. That's when the player base disappeared, patches became scarce and bare, and information for future patches has been nothing but vague contradictions.

antonz

Agreed. Was talkign with a buddy of mine who is a hardcore fan of star wars so loves TOR but Bioware has drapped the ball to a terrible degree even with him.

Communication has gone to crap. Here we are days before E3 and they havent even hyped E3. We know it will be on the showfloor because EA has said so but that doesnt mean anything as far as showing new stuff.

All the stuff they claim to have in development they need to be building hype. Instead it seems like they are content to let the game bleed to death

Cystm

3d5su.jpg

Zafir

Dead on. I really enjoy the game. I want to play it more than I do, but on KV the PVP queues don't pop except from 5-12 PM (and even still it can be a 20+ min wait easy.) Sorry, I don't want to re-roll on another server. I don't like alting, and it's not my fault there are no transfers. All this combined with slow updates makes me feel like this game SHOULD go FTP. What are we paying for exactly?

I was happy with the game until the Plague event ended. That's when the player base disappeared, patches became scarce and bare, and information for future patches has been nothing but vague contradictions.
Definitely this.

I don't mind alting, but I don't want to have to reroll on a different server. I really enjoy my two 50 characters, and the alts I have on my server. Not to mention my guild too. :/

gatti-man

Im just waiting for my itch to come back. Playing diablo 3 and still want to start me3. My sub is current but i just play other stuff atm. When they do transfers that will 100% get me back as long as it isnt a crappy system.

Infinity

I'm really rooting for SWTOR, and I think the server transfers will help along with regular content updates.

Don't forget our mucker Straven! ;)

Gonna hit up our filthy pub alts and get down EC hard the next 2 days, I can feel it!

Im still having fun with the game but it definetly needs some new content (either group or single player)

Feels bad the only reason I log into my main is to do ops and thats pretty much it, wheres the fishing and other time wastey games?

Milly79

Don't forget our mucker Straven! ;)

Gonna hit up our filthy pub alts and get down EC hard the next 2 days, I can feel it!

Im still having fun with the game but it definetly needs some new content (either group or single player)

Feels bad the only reason I log into my main is to do ops and thats pretty much it, wheres the fishing and other time wastey games?

Oh, Straven.

And shut up, you know you pay $15 a month to hear me degrade you all day.

We do other activities on our mains!
;)

Oh, killing Jaycam is fun!

wt5vQl.jpg

I'm really rooting for SWTOR, and I think the server transfers will help along with regular content updates.

Yea they really need to get into some kind of rhythm with content releasing eventually instead of this waiting and delays as they try to "fix" things.

Francois424

Neo Member
IMHO, handling server populations has to come first. So at least you can have more than 15-50ppl on fleet, getting the economy rolling again, not to mention PvP.

Then, the content needs to be churning at a far faster pace (1 update a month was a nice idea; if they can get it togetter), new races, new gear, new planets (ok the latter is possibly X-Pacs, but still).

Now, Ppl I know arent quitting because they are burned-out on content...
They are because we are alone.

Come on BioWare, the "superserver" thing is a good thing.
DO IT !

IMHO, handling server populations has to come first. So at least you can have more than 15-50ppl on fleet, getting the economy rolling again, not to mention PvP.

Then, the content needs to be churning at a far faster pace (1 update a month was a nice idea; if they can get it togetter), new races, new gear, new planets (ok the latter is possibly X-Pacs, but still).

Now, Ppl I know arent quitting because they are burned-out on content...
They are because we are alone.

Come on BioWare, the "superserver" thing is a good thing.
DO IT !

Guild buddies are completely the opposite, we have each other to play with and decent population on our server anyways, but they are burned out on the content. We rarely have anyone on anymore outside of raid night. It's not just a TOR thing though, as the guild had large group of WoW players also and they are also feeling starved for content and just keep moving to whatever new game comes out.

They have to please many people and there is no way for them to do it without some people getting screwed. At the least 1.3 should have tossed a content bone of some kind and they also need to get off their asses with event content.

Fixing population issue is important, but they are going to lose players either way as many are in the waiting for new stuff to do in the game that isn't just grinding creds for Legacy unlocks at this point.

We are only getting server transfers, this mega server nonsense is probably not going to happen for months and people are going nuts over it already based off a single vague quote. So now is Bioware going to put all effort into this super server stuff and just keep delaying content? Reminds me of WAR which had ton of stuff to fix in game and then it went all out in dealing with population issues instead of releasing any new game content. By the time they got servers all settled, it was too late and people were moving on to other games.

They need a more balanced approach to the game and give us new stuff while also fixing the problems.

Francois424

Neo Member
If they need to, hire 2 teams instead of slacking some of them then, so they can work on multiple update at the same time
( Maybe they already are, who knows ).

It may be worthwhile if they want to save their game

(Sorry for late edit, heading for a hectic day at work )

Draxal

hmm.

That expansion pack rumor was definetly true (all the content at least), with the level cap increase

I wish they were most honest about the game, the spin doctoring was out of control..

I hope it's free. I think raising the level cap this soon is a mistake.

Also it's good to see them putting an unlimited trial out there. It needed one badly aside from those free weekend trials.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It didn't say "expansion" so I'm really hoping this is a free update or highlights of the next few updates for this year.

antonz

It didn't say "expansion" so I'm really hoping this is a free update or highlights of the next few updates for this year.

It would probably be smarter for them to release it free considering the issues they are having and their inability to stay on development schedule.

They of course went with the species that will appeal to furries for their first new one which is disappointing.

Yea survey seemed real, but doesn't really tell us if it's going to be paid content or not, for all we know they were just testing the idea of selling content along with game time. Hopefully just free, but at the same time if the price is good and it includes game time, it's not a bad deal.... will see I guess.

HBroward

All the stuff they showed today was said to be coming "this year" so I doubt most of it will be here anytime soon, aside from the known 1.3 features and HK companion. That new operation looked pretty awesome though. If they could actually push this stuff out in a more consistent fashion it would be nice.

Milly79

Yea survey seemed real, but doesn't really tell us if it's going to be paid content or not, for all we know they were just testing the idea of selling content along with game time. Hopefully just free, but at the same time if the price is good and it includes game time, it's not a bad deal.... will see I guess.

I don't see how it couldn't be free. I mean, the only stuff they're adding aside from usual game updates is a planet, new class and abilities. If they're gonna charge, it better be $9.99.

I don't see how it couldn't be free. I mean, the only stuff they're adding aside from usual game updates is a planet, new class and abilities. If they're gonna charge, it better be $9.99.

Well I imagine their idea is to try and get people to come back. Buy a month or two of game time, get all this new content added in? It should be free, and they didn't say this was all going to be from the same update either so who knows, as they seemed to be hinting at the new companions everyone is supposed to be getting, not just HK-51 droid. Everything was vague but I do hope that the survey about charging for the content ends up being false unless they really give us a great deal with added game time. I sense even more PR nightmare if they announce a price tag attached to game content with how so many are looking at the game lately.

They would be stupid to charge for it. They are already taking too long to get shit done, charging for new content is just going to piss people off even more.

Alur

Never had the chance to formally apologize for all the shit went down with Empire GAF, so with that I say I'm sorry, Kruul.

It's okay, I apologize for the way it went down too. I should have just left the guild without the discussion, would've saved a lot of strife. I just wanted my friends to be able to play/raid and to be able to play with them without feeling like I was letting one side or the other down or being traitorous.

Ironically, after I went to bat for them and the deed was done 3 or 4 of them barely played again. Kruul rhymes with fool, which is what I got played for.

Cystm

Aside from the atrocious prompter reading, that trailer was actually really awesome. The Warzone and Ops look really fucking good.

Now, follow through with ranked warzones and server merges.

Assume for endgame they would do the "new" nightmare mode to be for the raised level cap. Only way I can see them really fitting in the new level cap without major expansion.

CzarTim

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.2.6/652012

Companion Characters
General
Companion Characters no longer appear headless when wearing certain headgear.
Flashpoints and Operations
Operations
Explosive Conflict
The optional chest before the minefield encounter can now be looted again.
Missions and NPCs
General
Class mission items now drop from appropriate enemies even if a groupmate deals the killing blow.
Audio for cinematics no longer begins before the cinematic starts. The UI is now hidden before a conversation begins (instead of after it starts).
Missions
Voss
The mission "Primary Target" will be automatically completed for players who finished The Dark Hollow without completing Primary Target first. Turning in The Dark Hollow first could make Primary Target impossible to complete. It is no longer possible to start The Dark Hollow before turning in Primary Target.
Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
The Fleet shuttles to Coruscant and Dromund Kaas now properly update several class mission travel steps that they previously did not.

yawn

UltraMav

During today’s behind closed doors presentation of Star Wars: The Old Republic at E3, BioWare unveiled a few things of note. In order to bring you some of these details in a timely manner, we’ve compiled them here. Keep in mind that we will update this post throughout the day so be sure to come back later for more.

*1mm accounts on day 1

*1.3 game update is called Allies

*Legacy perks

*New social adaptive gear system

*Augmentation system

*Revamped tutorial system

*Group finder

*Ranked Warzones

*1.3 coming to the PTS tomorrow, can start downloading it now. Update: Confirmed - "Yep. The Public Test Server will be getting Game Update 1.3 tomorrow. Start downloading and patching now! bit.ly/LxsI2v #swtor"

*Transfers coming in next few weeks

*Enhancing & revamping nightmare mode operations, entirely new mechanics

*New Heroic quest area on Belsavis

*New 8v8 Warzone on Celine

*New Companion for all classes HK-51, unlocked via new missions, voice actor seems to be the same as HK-47

*New planet Makeb

*Raising level cap which means new abilities

*Free trial up to level 15 coming in July

*Belsavis heroic area is the behind closed doors demo

*No mention of playable Cathar during session

Looks like they're updating the post as information is being clarified.

Top Bottom