• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Unimpressed by the F-Type

First time I hear about glass coating, from a quick google search it looks amazing. Do you have any before and after pics? Or just after pics. Also how much does it usually cost if you don't mind me asking?

Glass and ceramic coating are similar. But glass coating goes on clear with very light application and then hardens over the clear coat. The applicators and microfibers you use to apply and wipe away residue will literally harden and have to be thrown away, as the glass coating crystalizes after about an hour.

Because my car's paint was already in good shape from prior details, I just had another 1 step detail done with mild cutting, and then the coating applied. It cost $400 total. On a car that would require a 2 step correction, it would be closer to $1000 and up.

Pinewood

Exhaust sound of the F-Type 2.0T

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-what-the-new-four-cylinder-jaguar-f-type-sounds-like/

Not bad. These days engineers can make anything sound good.

---------

Anyway, on the earlier subject of coatings. I got my XKR glass coated. My Lord does it look absolutely insane. The black has more luster than before. And it takes about 7 days to fully cure, 48 hours to partially cure and start working. I took it out today and under the sun, as it's cured, there are little black dots that my detailer said might happen. He's going to come back and get rid of them on Tuesday.

A part of me is sort of looking forward to that first major rain storm I get caught in with this car. Hahaha. And inevitably, I will drive over puddles of sprinkler water, so we'll see how the side skirts will handle that dirty ass water.

He used Kamikaze Miyabi Glass Coating, btw.

Not the V6, but still sounds good. Plus I imagine it will boost sales in countries with stupidly high tax derived from engine size (a friend of mine wanted to buy a used Mustang in Belgium, tax/insurance? would have been 10k annually)

AlphaSnake, car glazing connoisseur

Finally, some pics from my first track event:

Good looking car, man, hope you enjoyed it and learned a lot!

Just wanted to pop in and also say thanks for sharing guys. I know I'm new to this community but you guys are all super nice!

Factually incorrect.

Exhaust sound of the F-Type 2.0T

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/heres-what-the-new-four-cylinder-jaguar-f-type-sounds-like/

Not bad. These days engineers can make anything sound good.

Doesn't sound bad. Still sounds like a sports car without going whole hog on the raspiness like Alfa or even Porsche.

Fox318

Mind if I ask how much you paid? What year/transmission?

2017 Dual Clutch Automatic with the Tech package

I leased (I wanted to buy but I'm in an economic spot where leasing actually makes more sense trust me)

I put 2700 down and pay 280 a month for 15,000 miles a year. I haggled and got them to throw in tire insurance and free oil changes for the life of the lease.

First time I've ever had a car where I won't be changing the oil myself.

J-Rzez

Dont feel too bad, my father exited my life of his own accord when I was 13. Never saw him again. Always struck me how he could just walk like that and never see if I was ok, alive, if I needed anything.

Sucks...

Into my 30's, I never once met or had any contact with my father. Don't know who he is, what he's like, his hobbies...etc.

I got my car passion kind of on my own and my grandpa used to tinker on cars all the time. That was probably the kicker. My neighbor had vettes too. Mom had fast cars too lol.

J-Rzez

On a different note. I'm going to use some Plastidip for my wheels to help me decide what color I want to go with in a painted finish aftermarket wheel.

Suggestions, and anyone with Photoshop skills are welcome lol. Its an odd color. Bright baby blue with flake and pearl, baby blue calipers. 2016 Focus RS Nitrous blue for those who don't know my car.

So was thinking... Purple? Matte Navy Blue? Matte or gloss red? I'm not a fan of white.

Lizardus

On a different note. I'm going to use some Plastidip for my wheels to help me decide what color I want to go with in a painted finish aftermarket wheel.

Suggestions, and anyone with Photoshop skills are welcome lol. Its an odd color. Bright baby blue with flake and pearl, baby blue calipers. 2016 Focus RS Nitrous blue for those who don't know my car.

So was thinking... Purple? Matte Navy Blue? Matte or gloss red? I'm not a fan of white.

I bet gold would look pretty good. Not in-your-face gold but a subtle tone.

On another note, I wish this colour was available for Golf R, it looks so good.

2016-Volkswagen-Golf-R-202-876x535.jpg

Futaba

Be sure to put on a LOT of coats, otherwise it's a pain in the ass to take off.

I've always been partial to white, myself.
2016-Ford-Focus-RS-SEMA-2015-1024x452.jpg

However, Neon green can at times look nice, too.
8700996229_6b719a230c_b.jpg

boltz

Picked up a Hyundai Elantra sport. Thing is fantastic.

The fucking value of that car is insane. I couldn't get a Civic or Mazda anywhere near as equipped.

Congrats, I think the new Elantra sport is pretty sharp looking - much better than the new Sonata that Hyundai just revealed at the NY auto show.

Good looking car, man, hope you enjoyed it and learned a lot!

Thanks, it was a blast and I can't wait to hit up another event. It made me realize how much higher my car's limits are than my own and I don't think I'll be able to enjoy racing games the same anymore :p

Not a fan of bright, flashy wheel colors, but I could approve of a bronze/dark gold color like this:

I bet gold would look pretty good. Not in-your-face gold but a subtle tone.

On another note, I wish this colour was available for Golf R, it looks so good.

2016-Volkswagen-Golf-R-202-876x535.jpg

I don't normally care for black wheels, but they go perfectly with that color.

J-Rzez

Thanks guys. I thought about a bright burnt antique bronze, I think I need darker color since that NB is bright. So a gold maybe tough, and I can't help but associate that with Subaru. And there's quite a lot of white and that green on NB RSs already on my FB group. Thought about orange, but it would fall into a "gulf" scheme, and I hold that sacred to not do like the Subaru gold.

So I think its narrowed to a dark metallic purple, and the bronze. I may just flip a coin.

Though white volks with that cherry blossom pink would look killer, but I don't know if I have the patience to keep it clean, nor the balls to do that pink lol.

Be sure to put on a LOT of coats, otherwise it's a pain in the ass to take off.

I heard. Watched a lot of vids and they said the same. Since this is going to be a test run to see which color I like for real wheels and I'm going to be peeling, I got to do it right lol.

The green on the R looks really good, fits the cars personality. If they had that Audi light green though... Nice.

I think it's instructive to discuss what color car is the fastest.

Let's start with white, because it's the baseline. A white car is 100% speed.

Red cars are 150% the speed of white cars. They are the fastest.

Yellow and orange cars are 135% the speed of white cars. That's damn fast.

Blue cars are 120% the speed of white cars.

<<<< White goes here >>>>

Silver cars are 85% the speed of white cars. They're just that much slower.

Dark grey cars are 65% the speed of white cars. Grey cars are just really damn slow, guys!

The wild card here is black cars. They're just so stealthy. You can't see a black car, so how can you possibly measure how fast it is? Black cars are ??? the speed of white cars.

Pinewood

What about green? Green is yellow+blue, so its 135+120/2 = 127,5% , but green is also the color of luck, so we need to factor in a luck coefficient

Fox318

Congrats, I think the new Elantra sport is pretty sharp looking - much better than the new Sonata that Hyundai just revealed at the NY auto show.

Thanks, it was a blast and I can't wait to hit up another event. It made me realize how much higher my car's limits are than my own and I don't think I'll be able to enjoy racing games the same anymore :p

Not a fan of bright, flashy wheel colors, but I could approve of a bronze/dark gold color like this:

I don't normally care for black wheels, but they go perfectly with that color.

Thanks.

I wanted a Focus, GTI, or Civic hatchback but I just couldn't pass up the value I was getting.

SliChillax

So the facelifted S-Class was unvieled and I have to say it has the ugliest steering wheel that I've seen. It belongs on a lifted American pick up
mercedes-unveils-sclass-facelift-25.jpg

Jesus Mercedes designers need to learn when to quit. Why are there two speakers next to each other on the door? Why all the controls on the wheel? Why have four individual central vents next to each other?

There's far too much going on in there.

What about green? Green is yellow+blue, so its 135+120/2 = 127,5% , but green is also the color of luck, so we need to factor in a luck coefficient

For now let's ignore other attributes and stats, Luck doesn't directly impact Speed after all. It's a modifier with an unknown and random value and typically only factored in on saving rolls.

Where do stripes sit? And livery?

Which is faster, Martini livery or Gulf livery?

Racing stripes give an automatic 5% base speed increase, with possibly higher bonuses.

Livery, I'm not so sure about.

So the facelifted S-Class was unvieled and I have to say it has the ugliest steering wheel that I've seen. It belongs on a lifted American pick up

Someone needs to tell Mercedes that adding more knobs and switches and buttons everywhere is not the solution to interiors. This is why people love Teslas with their minimalist interiors.

bigJP

got a question.

right now, im financing a car. have 3 years left on it. if i were to sell it i would have $5000 left to pay. is it possible or worth it to lease a car at under $400/month Canadian? The 400 would include the remainder of my debt

just tired of my elantra

ascii42

Yeah, that's not great looking, but you've got to have some perspective when it comes to steering wheels. All kinds of weird things happened once car manufacturers realized they could put buttons on them:

AlphaSnake

I keep saying this is why I like Jaguar interiors (and to some extent: BMW). Clean and elegant. I'm tired of the excessive gadgetry and buttons. It's getting out of hand with these cars.

Aw come on guys, MB knows what the hell they're doing... it's clearly an evolution of this design:

2012_mercedes_benz_c_class_audiosystem.jpg

Where else are they gonna but the myriad of buttons since the S-Class has i-Drive?

AlphaSnake

Aw come on guys, MB knows what the hell they're doing... it's clearly an evolution of this design:

2012_mercedes_benz_c_class_audiosystem.jpg

Where else are they gonna but the myriad of buttons since the S-Class has i-Drive?

There are barely any buttons in that second pic. Phone dials are not used anywhere anymore, except older Volvos.

I've always said it though, the double screen thing on the S-Class looks tacky as hell. Like a Pimp-My-Ride affair. I hate it.

Futaba

There are barely any buttons in that second pic. Phone dials are not used anywhere anymore, except older Volvos.

I've always said it though, the double screen thing on the S-Class looks tacky as hell. Like a Pimp-My-Ride affair. I hate it.
Next S-class will have screens in the bumper looping 10 seconds of an xibit music video.

Lmao I was joking though... those phone dials/numbers are the only reason why I'm turned off by a C-Class and CLA even though they're well within my budget.

Actually on that note, somebody tell me why I shouldn't get one lol. I saw a black CLA with red calipers this morning on the way to work and maybe it was my sleepy brain taking effect but it looked really good for some reason to the point that I was looking up CLA prices while I was making coffee in the break room lol.

And before somebody mentions stick shift, yeah I know, but I learned to like the automatics in them while I was working at that MB dealer. It's actually one of the few automatics that I'm totally okay with.

Next S-class will have screens in the bumper looping 10 seconds of an xibit music video.

You joke but I know a few people who would would love the shit out of this haha.

AlphaSnake

Lmao I was joking though... those phone dials/numbers are the only reason why I'm turned off by a C-Class and CLA even though they're well within my budget.

Actually on that note, somebody tell me why I shouldn't get one lol. I saw a black CLA with red calipers this morning on the way to work and maybe it was my sleepy brain taking effect but it looked really good for some reason to the point that I was looking up CLA prices while I was making coffee in the break room lol.

And before somebody mentions stick shift, yeah I know, but I learned to like the automatics in them while I was working at that MB dealer. It's actually one of the few automatics that I'm totally okay with.

Get the better looking Infiniti QX30, if that's the case. It's the GLA's hotter sister.

Get the better looking Infiniti QX30, if that's the case. It's the GLA's hotter sister.

Oddly enough I can't disagree lol.

I dunno if I mentioned this before but in March I spent about 2-3 weeks at an Infiniti dealer doing photography and I actually really disliked how the real Infiniti's have a hollow feel when you shut the hood, while the QX30 had a solid and satisfying thump.

That said though, I'm gonna pass on the QX30. One of the reasons why I like the CLA is it's looks(it doesn't look like your bog-standard Merc), it's price(used examples can be had for less than $24k), and yeah I don't want a crossover lol. As much as I want to keep two cars, it's gonna be impractical as hell so my Miata's gonna have to go unfortunately so I still need some semblance of fun in a car.

golem

got a question.

right now, im financing a car. have 3 years left on it. if i were to sell it i would have $5000 left to pay. is it possible or worth it to lease a car at under $400/month Canadian? The 400 would include the remainder of my debt

just tired of my elantra
Is your current car a lease or financed to purchase? Plenty of good cars out there for $400/month

SliChillax

I like how my f10 535 has the regular dials with digital screen on the bottom. A fully digital dash is kinda lame
I don't mind the full digital dash of the F10, it looks nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp73YdhsPRI

Actually on that note, somebody tell me why I shouldn't get one lol.

Drive one and you'll see how boring it is, especially the CLA45. Understeering pig and it doesn't even sound that good except the crackling upshifts.

Top Bottom