• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1

LayLa

i love the idea that somewhere out there is forum where every single post is made by two opposing Reputation Management teams, kind of like the apocryphal Communist Party of Utah where every member was an FBI agent spying on each other

soulx

Banned
So what? There are corporate shills everywhere on the internet, even here on GAF. This is common practice.

BigDug13

Wow, but keep stroking that microsoft peen, I'm sure they'll continue to have your best interests at heart.

I know that I'm just a number on some marketing manager's spreadsheet, but I don't want it thrown in my face.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
They're everywhere, like a pervasive plague that is trying to coerce the masses into thinking that it's a healthy everyday part of life.
They're also here on GAF.

Foaloal

It's good people are at least wising up to this a little bit, even if it's at the cost of falsely accusing some people.

We all know viral marketing isn't anything new, but anyone who thinks this should be an acceptable practice is misguided.

When I go onto an internet forum, I'm hoping to have an honest and reasonable discussion about the topic at hand. I'm posting and replying to other people as if they are being serious (although with the widespread knowledge of trolls many posters will be skeptical of certain posts). I'm writing my honest opinions and I'm considering what are supposed to be the honest opinions of others.

If you can't see why having people post completely biased and misleading opinions on a topic, not even because they actually believe them but because they're PAID to, could damage the integrity of discussion and community on an internet forum then I don't know what you come to forums for.

Zabant

they should monitor Gaf, or 4chan!

They do, back in 09' when I browsed /v/ there were multiple "tell all" posts from marketers complete with evidence that they had been paid to swing threads a certain direction after their job had been finished. Turns out they felt they could come clean and were guilty after the fact, that's what you get when it's an anonymous imageboard I guess.

The reason I stopped visiting was when these marketers became apparent, no discussion could ever take place without someone who disagreed with an opinion shouting "VIRAL"

seriously—can someone explain to me why this is wrong? because it might actually be effective?

Many people define their opinions on a product based on consumer sentiment.

By paying people to generate artificial positivity for the system, Microsoft is clearly deceiving people by trying to falsify reaction to it.

All of that energy that could have been used to make their product pro-consumer is now being spent trying to deceive ignorant people.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not only is doing stuff like this harming their reputation when they get caught, but anyone who genuinely defends the XBone is going to be accused of being a shill and their opinions dismissed and arguments thrown out. It's crazy how much Microsoft is digging this hole while Sony just keeps quiet and looks better by comparison. Strange times.

Okay, so how do we know this is not just a fabricated story to provide another argument for use in console wars?

Example:

'I like the Xbone.'

'You are on MS's payroll, I can disregard anything you say.'

Playing the devil's advocate here, but this could easily turn into a witchhunt. There is nothing the accused can say to prove they are innocent.

Please don't accuse me of reputation managing D:

Doesn't matter how good they spin this, the facts speak for themselves.

No sense in trying to be sleazy about it, the stuff people are speaking out against came from the horse's mouth.

So what? There are corporate shills everywhere on the internet, even here on GAF. This is common practice.

Sounds like something a corporate shill would say.

I totally agree. Nothing new, nothing to get mad about. Ban them when they rear their ugly heads and be done with it.

Jhriad

All the more reason we need the press to step it up and push back on our behalf. Push back and maybe we'll see some retraction of some of this stuff from MS and, likely, Sony.

KiteGr

Just pathetic..I can't even read it all.
I want to thank MS for making it very easy on which console i buy next

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CzQvq16.png

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...e-changed/?mod=wsj_streaming_latest-headlines

Okay, so how do we know this is not just a fabricated story to provide another argument for use in console wars?

Example:

'I like the Xbone.'

Playing the devil's advocate here, but this could easily turn into a witchhunt.

We don't have any proof. Many times, when a piece of negativity comes out that supports your side in an argument, you tend to support it without proof.

But regardless if this particular story is true, it's just common sense to think that Microsoft would be hiring people to make positive posts about the Xbox One. It's quite a common strategy and employed by a good amount of companies.

Even GAF has been confirmed to be a victim of these strategies.

Hari Seldon

This is MS. Make a shitty anti-consumer product like Win8 and xbone, spend insane money tricking people into buying it.

AkuMifune

Banned
I don't trust any of you. I don't trust myself! Maybe I'm a sleeper marketer? What if they activate me today?

Oh right, I think Kinect is Microsoft's Virtual Boy. Whew. That was close.

Example:

'I like the Xbone.'

Playing the devil's advocate here, but this could easily turn into a witchhunt. There is nothing the accused can say to prove they are innocent.

I hope and expect that the NeoGAF mods, at least, would clamp down extremely fucking hard on witch-hunting. And they generally do heavily discourage (via banning, if I recall correctly) unfounded accusations of being viral marketers (just as they ban people if it's confirmed that they are viral marketers).

In the short term, though, E3 season is already guaranteed to be incredibly ugly, so a heavy amount of forum acrimony can be expected for about the next two weeks at least. Expect the same when sales reports start trickling out this fall.

Snubbers

I believe it.. this is the world we live in, where people need internet opinion to form their own opinions, making it a very effective way of dealing with vocal minorities.

I would assume they are all at it though..

Be nice if GAF had of released the e-mail / username list, that would have allowed us to see which companies where behind it all..

wastewater

Neo Member
Aww shit i'm a new junior, have i mentioned how shit the xbone is? no? well, it's shit. Y'know how some things are so bad they're kinda good? This is just shit.

JABEE

It's misleading. It's like embedding an article in the New York Times supporting something without disclosing that you work for the company you are championing. It's sleazy.

joe2187

Banned
GAF is a giant corporate front to make Sony look good.

Now hold on, think about it.

Look at how sony is being treated on GAF right now, like Jesus just came out of the fucking cave.

#copyrightallrightsreservedmicrosoftcorporation #YOLO

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
B-b-b-but my favorite corporation would never do this. They aren't in it for money, they just love video games.

Edit: it happens and it's annoying as hell.

It's misleading. It's like embedding an article in the New York Times supporting something without disclosing that you work for the company you are championing. It's sleazy.

I once proposed that we should identify,tag and then let those shills run free to post on GAF for our amusement. :D

CaptNink

People get paid for this? Hell, where do I sign up? I'll blow rainbows and sunshine about the XBONE all day if I get paid! Whoring ain't easy, folks!

soulx

Banned
I'm not justifying the act, I agree that it's pretty sleazy. Just saying that it's common practice among most companies and nothing new, not Microsoft being the sole big bad villian.

Top Bottom