• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 30 - May 6

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks to Triforce, Fanatiq and Floe, I only got an hour of sleep. I should've been like LI Joe and said F this. :(

From what I've seen.. yes Joker will body Fanatiq free.

Doubt Fanatiq will come out to Toryuken so quick though. He needs his prep time. I wanna see Iron Man punk some fools.

Combo wise Joker has the edge, but movement, match up knowledge, punishing, and timing (like when to and not to call assist) I give all those to Fanatiq.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combo wise Joker has the edge, but movement, match up knowledge, punishing, and timing (like when to and not to call assist) I give all those to Fanatiq.
Fanatiq has match-up knowledge against Iron Man?

I know it's not the biggest threat on the team, but it is a factor to be considered. I assume Joker has more match-up knowledge with Storm.

EVO signups has double the amount of last year so far.
https://twitter.com/MrWizardSRK/status/197414457339674624

Your phrasing is a bit misleading. It's doubled when comparing it to the same time from last year. This is definitely very good though, but doesn't mean we have 4800 players so far(2400 last year). But EVO 2012 should definitely surpass EVO 2011, my guess is it will break 3k players. It's just too bad I can't be one of them like I was last year. But since I'll be here on the forums, maybe we can break 30k in the EVO thread. I know I'll be putting in the work for that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, do you have any quality footage of Joker? I love watching high level magnus.
Unfortunately, all the links that were posted in the OT are now made private :/ Guess he's prepping for that potential money match? :lol

Only snippet of gameplay on YT, not really reflective of his skill otherwise though (Cause he gets blown up):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3sFcZ3a2o

His Magneto and Iron Man are the stars of the show, definitely on Fanatiq's level.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If any game at EVO managed to break ~2048 participants, that would put it at 16 pools of 128 players each. Each of those would be more entrants than some "majors" get. You'd have to win 7 straight out of winners side just to get to top 32. @_@

If any game at EVO managed to break ~2048 participants, that would put it at 16 pools of 128 players each. Each of those would be more entrants than some "majors" get. You'd have to win 7 straight out of winners side just to get to top 32. @_@

EVO doesn't do it that way anymore. Regardless of how many people show up, pools will have no more than 16 players each. That's what they did last year and that's what they plan on doing this year.

But they did do that in 2010. Back then SSF4 was the only hot shit out there, so it set the current record for most registered players for a single game. The actual number is never known, but they always said "over 1600" and "almost "1700". So they had 16 pools with over 100 players each. I remember hearing how Gamerbee lost his 1st or 2nd match(it was to RyRy), and then he had to win 11 straight just to make it out of his pool in losers. So yeah, just getting out of your pool back then was crazy.

Last year, for example AE was the top game with around 1400 players. It had 91 pools, 2 people got out of each pool and then were placed in 4 large pools. So 182 divided into 4 is 45 in 2 pools and 46 in the other two. That's as big as it got last year and the number should be similar this year. So the days of mega pools are gone for now, maybe forever to, and it's for the best. I just know my experience last year was much much better than the experience of a local player I know from 2010.

EVO 2010 SSF4 pools were terrible. So much standing around, waiting, confusion. Very frustrating. Yuck. Glad they changed up in 2011.

rCIZZLE

I wish they could get enough side streams to show all of top 64 for marvel and SSF4. So much confusion as a stream monster last year. Had like 20 tabs of different players' twitters open just to find out about offstream results.

I wish they could get enough side streams to show all of top 64 for marvel and SSF4. So much confusion as a stream monster last year. Had like 20 tabs of different players' twitters open just to find out about offstream results.

You think that was bad, imagine being a audience monster. I was like "oh shit Poongko is playing, but wait, Momochi is playing over here. But they're both playing nobodies, John Choi is playing Online Tony over here". It was pretty funny how I was standing there and was unsure which top players I wanted to watch.

That honor still likely belongs to the 10,000-man Street Fighter Alpha 3 Japanese championships. But that was a multi-day, multi-location event.

holy shit! where can i read about/watch some of that?

I wasn't asking anybody to listen to the whole thing. If you just skipped to the 33rd minute, they spent about 1 minute talking about Triforce. Basically they got in touch with him and he said he would bring Justin down along with a bunch of other EMP guys for one of there big tournaments. Triforce even talked about flying them in in a private jet lol. Of course it didn't happen. But they did get Justin to come the year after, except that they spoke to him directly that time.

sorry, i was in an audio free zone. but that sounds about right. trying to think of a good celebrity metaphor for triforce...

Grecco

Joker might be feeling himself with that call out video. But he also took down his videos showing his gameplay.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Joker is the only Magnus that moves like it's MvC2 all over again. Fanatiq has godly hit confirms, so that's the only thing I really have him being greater than Joker at. Fanatiq doesn't use any of the UMvC3 tech...at all.

I dunno. Fanatiq is at home when it's sets like these, and he does have that Storm DHC to stop assists, but...his Mag is still living in Vanilla. If he wins, it probably won't be because of him having a better Magneto.

Well if we're going that route, why not also throw in the gigantic US Gamestop SF4 tournament that Justin Wong eventually won. Unfortunately nobody kept tabs on that. We just know that probably a dozen people(give or take) showed up to hundreds of Gamestops throughout the entire nation. It would have been nice to know the total head count for that.

Well if we're going that route, why not also throw the gigantic US Gamestop SF4 tournament that Justin Wong eventually won. Unfortunately nobody kept tabs on that. We just know that probably a dozen people or more showed up to hundreds of Gamestops throughout the entire nation. It would have been nice to know the total head count for that.

man, lost history. Maybe I can get that esports money being a FGC historian.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's on Youtube. Here's the last part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPzqod70Q4M

Daigo won the Japanese tournament and flew out to play Valle for the "world championship." This was the first huge tournament that Daigo won, the first time he came to the US to play, and the first time most people heard of him. AFAIK, the American tournament wasn't comparable to the Japanese one at all; it was only one small tournament in a San Fran arcade (as opposed to the nationwide Japanese tournament). Valle still managed to get him one round away from elimination.

Valle has talked about this one on a few occasions. I think one of the better interviews about it was on Gootecks' podcast from the early SF4 era.

rCIZZLE

So what killers will be at Season's Beatings to make it worth watching? I know Infiltration, Laugh, and PR Rog are confirmed. Just seeing if only the top 8 is a must see as opposed to SS where the top 32 and beyond should be very good.

edit: mostly talking about AE. I saw Viscant is making a rare appearance which should be interesting on the marvel side.

So what killers will be at Season's Beatings to make it worth watching? I know Infiltration, Laugh, and PR Rog are confirmed. Just seeing if only the top 8 is a must see as opposed to SS where the top 32 and beyond should be very good.

edit: mostly talking about AE. I saw Viscant is making a rare appearance which should be interesting on the marvel side.

If you want to watch AE, Shadowloo Showdown is the obvious choice. There is absolutely no debating that. On the Marvel side, it's a little more even. SB will probably have more talent overall, but SS does have a number of big names like Justin, Champ, Knives and few other guys. Besides Infil and Laugh, SB doesn't have any other international talent that I'm aware of. Overall SS should be the tournament to watch for most games. AE talent is through the roof, Marvel and KOF have exceptional players as well and many of these guys can also play other games well. SB will mainly showcase the top American players of the region its taking place in(the Midwest) minus a few people who traveled out to it.

rCIZZLE

If you want to watch AE, Shadowloo Showdown is the obvious choice. There is absolutely no debating that. On the Marvel side, it's a little more even. SB will probably have more talent overall, but SS does have a number of big names like Justin, Champ, Knives and few other guys. Besides Infil and Laugh, SB doesn't have any other international talent that I'm aware of. Overall SS should be the tournament to watch for most games. AE talent is through the roof, Marvel and KOF have exceptional players as well and many of these guys can also play other games well. SB will mainly showcase the top American players of the region its taking place in(the Midwest) minus a few people who traveled out to it.

Ya I know SS will be better, just wondering if anybody knows of a list of confirmed top talent at SB. Like if we can expect to see Krone, Dieminion, and other EC tournament regulars.

jbug617

Banned
Ya I know SS will be better, just wondering if anybody knows of a list of confirmed top talent at SB. Like if we can expect to see Krone, Dieminion, and other EC tournament regulars.

Confirmed for Season Beatings
Laugh
Infiltration
PR Rog
Yipes
Viscant

edit: Also there will be some Season Beatings talk on Cross Counter tonight.

N4Us

Well if we're going that route, why not also throw in the gigantic US Gamestop SF4 tournament that Justin Wong eventually won. Unfortunately nobody kept tabs on that. We just know that probably a dozen people(give or take) showed up to hundreds of Gamestops throughout the entire nation. It would have been nice to know the total head count for that.

I went to one of those and there was something like 30+ players there, it was crazy. And this was at a smaller Gamestop in a lesser-populated area near me too. I could only imagine the numbers in larger areas.

lol Keits shouldn't be calling any character bad.

Didn't he state that Ryu was horrible in vanilla MVC3 and had some crazy rant about it on Spooky's stream?

Yeah, SS will definitely be the main tournament to watch this weekend, since SB is gonna be on the other side of the planet, I'm not going to stay up to watch 2 ~10hrs stream back to back, but I will try to catch SB marvel whenever I can(i.e. when I get the bare minimum sleep and food to keep the human body functioning) .

vulva

lol Keits shouldn't be calling any character bad.

Didn't he state that Ryu was horrible in vanilla MVC3 and had some crazy rant about it on Spooky's stream?

Yeah.... plus everywhere else that he could. He spent months going on that Ryu is useless and only akuma should be played

Viscant is saying that Skisonic is not allowed in Canada? Sort of joking, but not really.

Viscant's mexico story was pretty bad also.

No one watches box arena anymore.

Fanatiq has match-up knowledge against Iron Man?

I know it's not the biggest threat on the team, but it is a factor to be considered. I assume Joker has more match-up knowledge with Storm.

The last I heard, Joker has dropped his Iron Man and is playing Doom now. I don't know what to think about him vs Fanatiq. On one hand what Fanatiq said was right, Joker drops a ton of combos and was rather disappointing when I saw him play at T12. On the other hand he does have a big unknown factor in him and Fanatiq will be in a disadvantage playing him, especially in Canada. So it's hard to predict what will happen.

Viscant is saying that Skisonic is not allowed in Canada? Sort of joking, but not really.

Viscant's mexico story was pretty bad also.

No one watches box arena anymore.

I'm listening, Viscant made a statement about the EVO killing SFxT by making it 2v2. The thing is, I actually agree with him. They may try to down play their influence, but it can't be denied, their decision hurt the game nation wide. Tournaments started doing 2v2 to prep for EVO and people lost interest. Even if local tournaments didn't do 2v2, people still stopped playing because they know they won't play it at EVO or at some upcoming major that will be using the 2v2 format. SFxT would have had its issues either way, but I feel strongly that EVO's decision help hurt the games tournament status.

Onemic

Is spooky not streamin Seasons beatings anymore? Just heard the end of Viscant talking about spooky needing a break or something.

Grecco

I'm listening, Viscant made a statement about the EVO killing SFxT by making it 2v2. The thing is, I actually agree with him. They may try to down play their influence, but it can't be denied, their decision hurt the game nation wide. Tournaments started doing 2v2 to prep for EVO and people lost interest. Even if local tournaments didn't do 2v2, people still stopped playing because they know they won't play it at EVO or at some upcoming major that will be using the 2v2 format. SFxT would have had its issues either way, but I feel strongly that EVO's decision help hurt the games tournament status.

Eh, Their decicion to make it 2 v 2 was in response to how dead the game was. If Evo hadnt done that it would have died already imo. Remember NCR ?

Haunted

Watching 2v2 is hype, I think that decision was pretty cool.

As a sports guy I'm used to seeing singles and doubles so they probably could've even done that (held 1v1 and 2v2 separately).

Top Bottom