• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked By Marvel, Amaterasu and Thor are in MvC3

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm not much of a fighting game guy, but this roster is giving me a boner. May have to give it a shot.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sad_Panda said:
I don't get why people expected to see Phoenix Wright in MvsC3. Sure, he's popular, but he didn't make it in TatsuCap because they couldn't come up with a decent movelist for him. A PW stage ? Sure. But Phoenix as a fighter would be a pretty poor idea.
Yeah, there's a lot of characters that I can't really understand the "no moveset" excuse, but Phoenix is one where I can't really even imagine what they'd do. Even on a basic level, Phoenix Wright throwing punches and kicks would simply look weird.

If you want to talk long-running series that are overdue for representation, well...
<-------

Hunahan said:
Looks cool, but this really better not be some Yoda shit.

I don't want characters that are immune to high attacks or something lame like that.

I'm....concerned...
usually Capcom rectifies this by giving small characters less HP so they go down in fewer hits

Zeliard

explodet said:
88752e6a818b1b76f75c2ca93d3a5bbf.jpg

17cd3989f8f24a1f828b8130aa49d2c6.jpg

Looks like Ammy's got the advantage in these screens.

Thor looks awesome.

Bleepey

I would like it if Donn Blake tranformed into Thor at the beginning of a match.

He strikes Mjolinir on a rock or waves it into the air and says by the "Power of Asgard"!!!!!!

USD

Shig said:
Yeah, there's a lot of characters that I can't really understand the "no moveset" excuse, but Phoenix is one where I can't really even imagine what they'd do. Even on a basic level, Phoenix Wright throwing punches and kicks would simply look weird.

If you want to talk long-running series that are overdue for representation, well...
<-------
Come on, if Nintendo can do it (Captain Falcon goes from pilot to YEESS! SHOW ME YOUR MOVES), Capcom can.

LiK

Shig said:

<-------
Just have fun with him. Phoenix can beat people with his briefcase and law books. Better than Roll with a broom and water bucket.

LiK said:
Just have fun with him. Phoenix can beat people with his briefcase and law books. Better than Roll with a broom and water bucket.
The broom and bucket were pretty effective in MMPU
She was a blast to play as in TvC also

OMG Aero said:
And on the Gene topic, does Capcom actually own any rights to the characters from God Hand or do they all belong to Platinum games?
Capcom owns all the rights, but they'll never use them again. The IGN score for God Hand was a huge embarrassment for the company, and one of the reasons they disbanded Clover.

LiK

God's Beard said:
Capcom owns all the rights, but they'll never use them again. The IGN score for God Hand was a huge embarrassment for the company, and one of the reasons they disbanded Clover.
IGN can't be that influential over Capcom's decisions.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
I see this damn dog everywhere, couldn't we have the dude from God Hand? D:<

I'm just bitter. :lol

_dementia said:
Nah, I think it's a normal reaction. Who's a better fit for a fighting game, Gene or some dog?

Okami did well enough to get ported to a different system, has a sequel coming out in the near future, and has pretty good name recognition in the current gen. Gene is from a game that reviewed pretty badly, sold even worse, the series is dead in the water, and when the game was brand new practically nobody knew about it.

bon

God's Beard said:
IGN's God Hand score was only an embarrassment to IGN.

_dementia said:
Well, they dictated Okawii's boxart
:lol

Monroeski said:
Okami did well enough to get ported to a different system, has a sequel coming out in the near future, and has pretty good name recognition in the current gen. Gene is from a game that reviewed pretty badly, sold even worse, the series is dead in the water, and when the game was brand new practically nobody knew about it.
That much is obvious. Popularity doesn't make Ameratsu a more compelling fighting game character than Gene however, which is what we were discussing.

Shig said:

<-------

I agree with you on the BoF rep. On the Wright front: I always thought if an AA/GS character were to make it into a fighter Phoenix and Edgeworth never made much sense as a fighting game character. It would make more sense to have Franziska von Karma, Godot (w/ Samurai Sword), or the Steel Samurai since they actually have weapons they could use (Godot could also do Coffee projectiles and Cyclops beam attacks for lulz if they wanted). Manfred von Karma and Damon Gant are two more I could see that I would believe could go out there and just beat people up with their fists (Manfred could even have a taser special, lol).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well that's odd.

But I'm glad that Thor isn't based on the movie costume, thank goodness - Iron Man's movie design is the best he's ever looked, and it would have been horrible if Thor had went the same route...

That's one hell of a goof-up by Marvel though to leak the art AND gameplay pics though, imagine if Capcom wasn't smart enough to have structured the release of characters and had other unconfirmed characters in the shots as partners...

As awesome as this is, am I the only one who feels like Ammy's design looks a bit off?

I mean I guess it's supposed to be sort of a marvel style but for some reason it is really bugging me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Skilotonn said:
Well that's odd.

But I'm glad that Thor isn't based on the movie costume, thank goodness - Iron Man's movie design is the best he's ever looked, and it would have been horrible if Thor had went the same route...

That's one hell of a goof-up by Marvel though to leak the art AND gameplay pics though, imagine if Capcom wasn't smart enough to have structured the release of characters and had other unconfirmed characters in the shots as partners...

Are we sure it's even a leak and not just another Comic Con timed reveal they put up on their site?

LiK

HappyBivouac said:
As awesome as this is, am I the only one who feels like Ammy's design looks a bit off?

I mean I guess it's supposed to be sort of a marvel style but for some reason it is really bugging me.
Yea, paintbrush style to comic style changed her design a bit but not too bad.

54-46!

Bleepey said:
I would like it if Donn Blake tranformed into Thor at the beginning of a match.

He strikes Mjolinir on a rock or waves it into the air and says by the "Power of Asgard"!!!!!!
Yes! go on..

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
USD said:
Come on, if Nintendo can do it (Captain Falcon goes from pilot to YEESS! SHOW ME YOUR MOVES), Capcom can.
Captain Falcon was a superhero bounty hunter, though. That wasn't much of a stretch.

I'm not saying it's unprecedented, but I dunno, with Phoenix there's just something that seems weird abut the whole concept. It's not that I can't think of things for a moveset, it's more that I can't think of things that wouldn't seem way too over-the-top for him. Stuff like a super where a giant pointing finger/gavel smashes the opponent seems obvious, sure, but in practice I think it'd come off a bit too silly.

I could see Trucy working well, fwiw. With a magician you can have all sorts of cheats where they don't really have to be fighting directly; hitting with scarves, stuff from their hat, playing cards, etc.

Franziska could probably work well also, yeah. Steel Samurai I think is getting a bit too deep into the cast, I know it's a recurring character but in general I think they'd like to stick to someone who at least appeared on a cover.

Thor is a fantastic addition, but the addition of Amateratsu is just absolutely mindblowing. I can't wait to break the news to my friends later on.

She has a spot on my team.

I <3 Ami.:D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
That much is obvious. Popularity doesn't make Ameratsu a more compelling fighting game character than Gene however, which is what we were discussing.

What YOU were discussing, maybe, since most others that mention Gene in these threads don't really mention it that I've noticed. :D

Also, it's not necessarily just popularity, as I'm sure more popular characters than Amaterasu will be getting in; it's more about relevance. This game has a strong marketing component tied to it, and outside of the givens (Wolverine, Ryu, etc.), returning characters (Doom) and general legends (Dante, Chris Redfield), just look at the new characters getting in - Frank (new Dead Rising game coming), Amaterasu (new Okami game), Thor (new movie), Deadpool (massive push in comics + was in recent movie with possibility of his own coming up), etc. Super Skrull is kind of an odd one since I wouldn't go as far as to call him one of the most well known characters outside of comic enthusiasts, though he'd get a boost from Secret Invasion not being too long ago, he adds the Fantastic Four (legends) element, and if the rumors last year of a new Fantastic Four movie are true it's possible he'll make an appearance there. Trish is the only odd one IMO that doesn't really have either "given" status or any kind of marketing push around her.

I don't think we'll be seeing a return to MVC2 style character selection where they just throw a billion characters in there with a good chunk being ones that practically no one has heard of (Shuma Gorath, Jin, SonSon, etc.). There's going to be a good reason why anybody gets in to MVC3 IMO, and a failed character from a failed series from a failed developer half a decade ago just isn't going to cut it no matter how well he'd "fit."

Not that I wouldn't love to be wrong.

NeonZ

_dementia said:
Popularity doesn't make Ameratsu a more compelling fighting game character than Gene however, which is what we were discussing.

Why? Aren't fighting games supposed to have variety? Would Gene really add more variety than Amaterasu? I don't think so...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_dementia said:
I think super scrull is supposed to make the fantastic four obselete

Which is impossible. Mr. Fantastic wouldnt play the same or likely even have many of the same moves as Skrull. Hell, I havent even seen any IW force fields, energy constructs, or TK yet.

He's just a decent stand in, since the FF are a package deal, but not big enough to warrant 4 spots.

I wouldnt mind them in a sequel or as a DLC package.

NeonZ

HK-47 said:
He's just a decent stand in, since the FF are a package deal, but not big enough to warrant 4 spots.

They should just have pulled a Captain Commando. Mr. Fantastic playable, the other 3 as strikers.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This game is so dark.

I feel like there needs to be some fill light in there or something. I understand the comic book look they're going for but the characters don't feel clearly separated from the BG to me.

KAL2006

Banned
Why would Capcom use some character from an unpopular game (Godhand) or Phornix Wright (no fighting moves), when Capcom can use a Breath of Fire character, Arthur from GnG, Haggar from Final Fight, and Onimusha character, Rad Spencer from Bionic Commando, Frank West from Dead Rising and etc.

Basically Capcom have much better options so why are people arguing over Phoenix Wright and God Hand character to be in the game.

KAL2006 said:
Why would Capcom use some character from an unpopular game (Godhand) or Phornix Wright (no fighting moves), when Capcom can use a Breath of Fire character, Arthur from GnG, Haggar from Final Fight, and Onimusha character, Rad Spencer from Bionic Commando, Frank West from Dead Rising and etc.

Basically Capcom have much better options so why are people arguing over Phoenix Wright and God Hand character to be in the game.

Frank West is confirmed via obvious silhouette. And honestly, if Rad and Arthur aren't in I'll be surprised. Haggar deserves some love though, the recent Final Fight stuff on XBLA/PSN maybe means that could happen, but we'll see.

Shig said:
Captain Falcon was a superhero bounty hunter, though. That wasn't much of a stretch.

I'm not saying it's unprecedented, but I dunno, with Phoenix there's just something that seems weird abut the whole concept. It's not that I can't think of things for a moveset, it's more that I can't think of things that wouldn't seem way too over-the-top for him. Stuff like a super where a giant pointing finger/gavel smashes the opponent seems obvious, sure, but in practice I think it'd come off a bit too silly.

I could see Trucy working well, fwiw. With a magician you can have all sorts of cheats where they don't really have to be fighting directly; hitting with scarves, stuff from their hat, playing cards, etc.

Franziska could probably work well also, yeah. Steel Samurai I think is getting a bit too deep into the cast, I know it's a recurring character but in general I think they'd like to stick to someone who at least appeared on a cover.

but having a character hitting people with life bars and super meters is perfectly okay

i do get what you're saying, I just wanted to be a condescending dick

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
KAL2006 said:

Frank West is in MvC3. Just let you know that.

I would love to see Mike Haggar, Arthur and BoF characters, but I think only one of them would make in.

Top Bottom